*FAQ*What tcase gears should I (or you) buy? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25632
*FAQ*What tcase gears should I (or you) buy?

I feel like this comes up a lot, so why not compile all the info into one thread that's easy to read and search.

Key words: Tcase, transfer case, low gear, gear set, 4.16:1, 4.9:1, 5.14:1, 6.4:1, 6,5:1, 4.16s, 4.9s, 5.14s, 6.4s, 6.5s

Copy and past this format and enter your info. Feel free to make multiple posts of different setups you've had.

You can also fill out the format and ask what gears others think would work best.

Basic description of rig:

Engine:

Transmission:

Transfer case(s):

R&P:

tire size:

Type of wheelin you do:

How you like it on the highway:

How you like it offroad:

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy:

Last edited by supazuk94; 02-09-2019 at 09:06 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Ill go first

Basic description of rig: Full body, no bumpers or sliders

Engine: 1.3

Transmission: sami 5spd

Transfer case(s): 6.4

R&P: 4.37s

Tire size: 33s

Type of wheelin you do: rock crawling and snow

How you like it on the highway: was just about right for back roads, never had it on a highway.

How you like it offroad: It worked decent, i sometimes wished for lower, but then also needed an in between gear for between obstacles. Also, only having a very low reverse kinda sucked.

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: 6.4s no doubt, 5.29s or 5.71s if i went to 35s would have probably worked well.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Basic description of rig: cut up body with some minimal tube work, stretched to 105"

Engine: 1.6 8v

Transmission: sami 5spd

Transfer case(s): dual toyota 2.28x4.7(10.7)

R&P: 4.10

tire size: 37s and 39s

Type of wheelin you do: hardcore rock crawling and snow

How you like it on the highway: High range was completely useless. Using the front case in low was about perfect for back roads. Never had it on the highway.

How you like it offroad: Loved it, a gear for everything. Low low you could idle up anything. The added tq of the 1.6 helped a ton also.

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: Same for that setup, lower r&p maybe just to take some stress off the tcases.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Basic description of rig: ultra light buggy (still collecting parts)

Engine: 1.0 3cyl

Transmission: 3spd auto

Transfer case(s): stock sami, what gears should i get? I'm thinking just jump straight to 6.4s but i wonder if that will be mega overkill considering the weight. I also don't want to get caught between low and high. where a 4xx:1 would put 3rd gear close to 1st gear high.

R&P: 3.73s or possibly 4.63? (stock 3spd tracker r&p)

tire size: ~31-32s, possibly some much bigger tires for snow.

Type of wheelin you do: I want to use it for everything, but mostly rock crawling.

How you like it on the highway: I may try to sneak it on back roads and fire roads, so the ability to go ~45 would be nice.

How you like it off road: I want to be able to crawl slow, but also not push through the brakes. I know what the 6.4s are like in a sami with a manual, but this is a totally different beast.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Basic description of rig: Full bodied exo'd toyota embarrassing slice of recycled Japanese import. YJs, built (loooool) stock axles, 1310 driveshafts, bottle opener in reach of the driver, fire extinguisher onboard. I think about an 88-90" wheelbase

Engine: 1.6 16v with a header and maybe a cam. I remember the PO saying something about it, but I also remember him not being sure about it. Sumbitch screams but it smokes quite a bit after its last flop , albeit not consistently.

Transmission: Leaky Samurai trans with a bad input shaft and 2 broken bell housing bolts. Started pulling it today to fix the bolts.

Transfer case(s): It has 2. One with a bad front output shaft bearing, 6.5:1 gears and a modified EOS cradle (it cracked like a MOFO) with solid poly mounts (probably why it cracked) and super duper reinforced frame mounts (trail tough and my own design.) Second case is a spare on the floor in my shop. No it is not for sale

R&P:Stock front, rear is stock ratio but modified with 3-5 chipped teeth. Trail Tough mini spool rear, Spartan front. Tires are cheaper than smiles.

tire size: 32 according to the sidewall. I break shit now, I literally can't afford to make it worse.

Type of wheelin you do: Southeast rocks/hills/trees. If you have never been down here, the best way to describe it is like a scaled down version of a rock bouncer comp. Lots of gas pedal, lots of "bumping" it over obstacles, occasional air time, but minimal inbreeding for me personally. I just don't really want kids.

How you like it on the highway: It is good up to about 60. It has plenty of power across the speed range, I just think that I am getting high in RPMs at about that speed. I do not have a working tach so I cannot verify that feeling.

How you like it offload: It is perfect and I am scared to change anything. This rig has a bad habit of hanging with/embarrassing shit that costs 10x as much. I really want to stretch it like 18", yotas, 37's etc, but it works so great now that I almost just want to leave it alone. If it weren't for the tendency to roll backwards/forwards, I would't even consider it.

Same 100%

To the future reader, it's 1045 on saturday night and the whiskey is going down smoothly. Sorry for the grammatical issues. #makepirate4x4greatagain

Last edited by DirtRoads; 12-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
DirtRoads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
Basic description of rig: 86 Sami, 3-link front and rear, toy axles, internal cage, and most of the basic stuff for a wheeling rig.

Engine: 1.6 16v

Transmission: Sami 5spd

Transfer case(s): Sami with 6.5:1 gears

R&P: 5.29 f&r with a spool in the rear and Detroit in the front.

tire size: q78-16 TSL's

Type of wheelin you do: Mostly clay hills and dirt with some rocks occasionally

How you like it on the highway: Sucks, full hydro and at 55 mph I'm running 3200 rpm.

How you like it offroad: Amazing so far, but I haven't had much time to wheel it lately.

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: I would probably go with a 4.9 gear set or swap the trans t-case out for a 4 spd auto and D300 with 4:1 gears.

Quote:
I don't care what you want to smoke, who you want to poke. I don't care what you want to shoot or how many bullets you can have.
I just want people to mind their own business and leave me the fawk alone if I'm not fucking up thier shit.
89lc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50866
Basic description of rig: 88 Samurai, toy axles, shackle reversal, 38.5 boggers, toy rear leafs in back and RE 1.5Ē yj leafs up front. Yota ifs steering box with tc pump. 1310 driveshafts.

Engine: rebuilt 1.3 with crappy Weber and header/flowmaster

Transmission: stock 5spd

Transfer case(s): 6.5 trail gear gears installed

R&P: 5.29 yota axles

tire size: 38.5x13.50r15 Boggers

Type of wheelin you do: trail/mud

How you like it on the highway: n/a

How you like it offroad: works okay I guess

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: I would not have geared the case so low. I think the 4.9 tcase Gear would have been better for the southeast wheeling I do, mainly dirt/mud. But for rocks and obstacles the 6.5 case is where itís at.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Bump
Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 207522
Basic description of rig: Samurai, diesel swapped, stretched 18", steel flatbed, lot heavier than stock.

Engine: 1.9 TDI

Transmission: Geo tracker 5 speed

Transfer case(s): Geo tracker, twin sticks, 4.24 gears, slip yoke eliminators.

R&P: 3.73

tire size: 33x12.5x15, worn out, actual measurement currently, 31.25"

Type of wheelin you do: Rocks, mild trails, Moab, other Utah wheeling, etc.

How you like it on the highway: high range is too high with the 3.73's and 33's, I went with the tracker tcase to try to lower my high range RPM's at high way speeds, but it's just quite a bit too low.

How you like it offroad: Does good offroad, climbs easily without much if any throttle.

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: I'm planning on swapping in 5.13 gears in the very near future, in order to be able to daily it a little better.
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 71584
Basic description of rig: '83 SJ410T, 4 link/radius arm 100" WB, Suzuki based axles, too heavy.

Engine:G16B

Transmission:AW-4

Transfer case(s): 6.4TT gears, TT Twisted T shift rails

R&P: 5.13 (more on that in a minute)

tire size:35

Type of wheelin you do: Technical trails

How you like it on the highway: It's a tiny bit too low geared - 3700rpm at 62MPH

How you like it offroad: Too low.

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: I'd stay with the 6.4's, but run taller R&P. I'm swapping in 4.6 now which will drop me to 3330 on the highway and loosen the converter up off road a little. At the moment the converter basically won't slip off road.

Photo of vehicle for reference.

Currently also taking weight out and lowering it.
Gwagensteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
I would buy the $200 hoopty sidekick from 2bb and install the 2.0 in my/your samurai with your 3spd. Then with all the extra power and the auto realize you dont really need a standard low range and just run the trackick case that came with it combined with 3.0 gears
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I would buy the $200 hoopty sidekick from 2bb and install the 2.0 in my/your samurai with your 3spd. Then with all the extra power and the auto realize you dont really need a standard low range and just run the trackick case that came with it combined with 3.0 gears
All sounds good except I don't have a Sami it's a soft top 2 door tracker factory 8v/3apd/4x4

I don't see the 3.0 gears being worth the money, just not enough of a jump. I think the Sami case with 4.16 or 4.9s would be sweet. I don't need to go more the 45 mph, so 1.6 high with 4.63s or 5.13s and 31-32s should be good, then low range should be pretty good with the auto and light weight. The only problem is Sami cases are getting hard to find. I had 2 stashed for a reason, but they're gone

Might just do the 4.24s and the 5.13s since they're drop in. Or a doubler to a Toyota case then I'd have 1.8/2.28/4.1 with the ability to gear either case.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-25-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 693689
Basic description of rig: Stockish Samurai on YJ's springs SPUA

Engine: 1.6 16v

Transmission: Stock Samurai 5 spd

Transfer case(s): 6.5:1

R&P: Stock 3.73

tire size: 34" LTB's

Type of wheelin you do: Typical east coast trails

How you like it on the highway: Great

How you like it offroad: Great

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: Same 6.5:1

Last edited by DannyK; 02-01-2019 at 04:24 AM.
DannyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40073
Send a message via Yahoo to Zuk-E
Basic description of rig: Stock '87 Samurai with SPOA and TC Gears

Engine: Stock

Transmission: Stock

Transfer case(s): 5.14:1 Calmini

R&P: Stock

tire size: 33x10.50

Type of wheelin you do: trails, rocks

How you like it on the highway: In high range, speedo is almost right on

How you like it offroad: low range is low.

If you had to do it again whats gears would you buy: Only con I have with these TC gears is that they are noisy. They whine. It's a common issue with Calmini at least it was 15 years ago when I got them.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 71584
That doesn't make any sense - transfer case gears have no effect on the speedometer accuracy, that's a function of axle gears and tire diameter.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwagensteve View Post
That doesn't make any sense - transfer case gears have no effect on the speedometer accuracy, that's a function of axle gears and tire diameter.
The lower the t case gears the lower the high range, so yes it would effect your speedometer the same way different gears in the axle will.
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
The lower the t case gears the lower the high range, so yes it would effect your speedometer the same way different gears in the axle will.
Except that the speedo reads off the rear out put, so any gear change before that won't affect it, only after.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 40073
Quote:
I don't know then but I have a GPS installed and when in high range, it's pretty accurate. I guess I just figured that lowering the TC gearing slightly (18%) in high range and adding tire diameter just happened to even out.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 71584
The speedometer doesnít know what gear you are in. Just the same way the speedo doesnít change its reading when you change gears in the gearbox or change ranges in the transfer case, it doesnít know that there are reduction gears in the transfer case. It took me a while to work this out myself. Yes, it corrects revs at road speed, but NOT the speedometer, because itís downstream of the reduction.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 40073
Quote:
The speedometer doesnít know what gear you are in. Just the same way the speedo doesnít change its reading when you change gears in the gearbox or change ranges in the transfer case, it doesnít know that there are reduction gears in the transfer case. It took me a while to work this out myself. Yes, it corrects revs at road speed, but NOT the speedometer, because itís downstream of the reduction.
So where is the speed sensor and what does it use to pick up the speed? I would think it measures the rotation of the drive system either in the tranny or transfer case or tire rotation in the axle. I doubt it's in the axle as I don't see anything there. My thought was if it's using rotation somewhere within the driveline, a larger tire would cause the speedo to read low but that is offset by a lower gearing. This is an interesting topic as I am learning something new.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 71584
The speedo drive is on the output of the transfer case that means itís unaffected by anything upstream of the speedo drive- what gear the gearbox is in, what range the transfer is in, or transfer case reduction.

Itís only affected by whatís downstream of the speedo drive- axle ratio and tyre size.

Put bigger tyres on and the speedo becomes inaccurate. Change the axle ratio and speedo becomes inaccurate. Put the transfer case in low range and the speedo doesnít become inaccurate.

I canít explain it any more clearly.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 40073
Quote:
The speedo drive is on the output of the transfer case that means itís unaffected by anything upstream of the speedo drive- what gear the gearbox is in, what range the transfer is in, or transfer case reduction.

Itís only affected by whatís downstream of the speedo drive- axle ratio and tyre size.

Put bigger tyres on and the speedo becomes inaccurate. Change the axle ratio and speedo becomes inaccurate. Put the transfer case in low range and the speedo doesnít become inaccurate.

I canít explain it any more clearly.
I guess I just cannot wrap my head around this. If it's on the output of the transfer case, then putting lower gears in the case will slow the rotation of the output shaft. That should cause the speedo to read faster than you are actually going if all else is stock. Adding a larger diameter tire without changing transfer case gears would cause the speedo to read slower than actual speed is all else is stock. But if I slow the output shaft with TC gears AND increase the tire diameter with 33" vs 27" stock to go further on 1 revolution of the tires, they counter-act and I get a closer to accurate speedo reading. What part am I missing?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 71584
You're missing that the speedo drive can't see what's happen upstream of it, only downstream. For your example to be correct, the speedo would read differently in each gear.

The speedo is calibrated for rear end ratio and tire diameter. If you put reduction gears in the transfer case, the engine revs to achieve the same transfer output speed increase. If the car was running stock tyres and axle ratio, the speedo would still read correctly, the engine just has to rev higher to make the output shaft of the transfer spin at the same speed it did before.

If I change gear from 5th to 4th, revs jump up at the same output shaft speed, just like fitting transfer reduction gears, the speedo has no idea this has happened either.

So say now I put 31" tires on. These are bigger so for the same transfer output speed, the car travels 16% faster. The speed reads 50 MPH but the car is doing 58mph. I can gear the transfer case however I like, or put the car in whatever gear, when the speedo is reading 50MPH, the car is still actually going 58.

Transfer gears correct gearing with bigger tires - they do this by increasing engine speed at a given road speed, but the speedo can't see this. The speedo still thinks the car has 26" tires on it and a 3.7 rear end. Changing the axle ratio will effect the speedo reading, as will changing tyre size. They're the only two things that can change it.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
ZUK Herder

Member # 28426
great topic adding to FAQ

"It's my belief that someone with a Samurai ran over a Gypsy's dog or something years ago, and he laid a curse on the whole lot."
-UZI 9mm
supazuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
ZUK Herder

Member # 28426
Quote:
You're missing that the speedo drive can't see what's happen upstream of it, only downstream. For your example to be correct, the speedo would read differently in each gear.

The speedo is calibrated for rear end ratio and tire diameter. If you put reduction gears in the transfer case, the engine revs to achieve the same transfer output speed increase. If the car was running stock tyres and axle ratio, the speedo would still read correctly, the engine just has to rev higher to make the output shaft of the transfer spin at the same speed it did before.

If I change gear from 5th to 4th, revs jump up at the same output shaft speed, just like fitting transfer reduction gears, the speedo has no idea this has happened either.

So say now I put 31" tires on. These are bigger so for the same transfer output speed, the car travels 16% faster. The speed reads 50 MPH but the car is doing 58mph. I can gear the transfer case however I like, or put the car in whatever gear, when the speedo is reading 50MPH, the car is still actually going 58.

Transfer gears correct gearing with bigger tires - they do this by increasing engine speed at a given road speed, but the speedo can't see this. The speedo still thinks the car has 26" tires on it and a 3.7 rear end. Changing the axle ratio will effect the speedo reading, as will changing tyre size. They're the only two things that can change it.
only one correction in the Samaria the speedo DOES see difference in tcase gears i have done the change in GPS

"It's my belief that someone with a Samurai ran over a Gypsy's dog or something years ago, and he laid a curse on the whole lot."
-UZI 9mm
supazuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in