Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Awesome project! That looks like a fun kick ass cheap beater. When my ITP's are worn out I'm going to try out those Carnivore's in the 30" flavor. We should all go wheel the con or something when there's a handful of them done.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Awesome project! That looks like a fun kick ass cheap beater. When my ITP's are worn out I'm going to try out those Carnivore's in the 30" flavor. We should all go wheel the con or something when there's a handful of them done.
Yours was definitely an influence. I really wanted the more compact and lighter 2 door, but it's just to much work.

That would be a hoot to get a bunch together.

Don't you have a 4 door now? Did you keep the kick case or swap in the Sami case? I'm still up in the air on what to do tcase gearing wise.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Yours was definitely an influence. I really wanted the more compact and lighter 2 door, but it's just to much work.

That would be a hoot to get a bunch together.

Don't you have a 4 door now? Did you keep the kick case or swap in the Sami case? I'm still up in the air on what to do tcase gearing wise.
Yeah I'm rocking a 97 4 door 5 speed now. It was already 4wd so I put 4.24 gears in the t-case, I didn't want the hassle of a swap. The Sammy case is still in the green 2 door and my brother has it. If it was an auto it would be perfect, but with the manual trans I can stall it trying to ease into big obstacles, so I have to bump stuff harder than I'd like to not stall the engine.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
Old 03-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Yeah I'm rocking a 97 4 door 5 speed now. It was already 4wd so I put 4.24 gears in the t-case, I didn't want the hassle of a swap. The Sammy case is still in the green 2 door and my brother has it. If it was an auto it would be perfect, but with the manual trans I can stall it trying to ease into big obstacles, so I have to bump stuff harder than I'd like to not stall the engine.
Gotcha, what about high range? Use able at all off road?
Old 03-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Gotcha, what about high range? Use able at all off road?
Absolutely not. Its barely useable on road. But you might be better off with the 2.0 than I am with the 1.6.

5th in 4 low leaves me wishing I had more top end but the suspension can't go much faster than what the gearing allows. The 1.8 low would probably be a nice mid range, but that's why I wish I had the Sammy case in it. 4.9 low ranges have 1.609 in high, I think that would be a perfect permanent high range as well,as the perfect low.

Again you having a 2.0 and running 32's leaves you in a different situation than I'm in currently.

TBH, I have a GM 2.5l and 700R4 I think I want to swap in with a single Toyota t-case. Only reason I haven't started already is my 1.6 is as good as 1.6's get, and the a/c works. Fun fact, five 200 pound men in my little 4 door leaves me with only 4 useable gears but it will still go 80 in 4th gear with the a/c on and 1000 pounds of dude in it. 5th is useless with that much weight in it.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Absolutely not. Its barely useable on road. But you might be better off with the 2.0 than I am with the 1.6.

5th in 4 low leaves me wishing I had more top end but the suspension can't go much faster than what the gearing allows. The 1.8 low would probably be a nice mid range, but that's why I wish I had the Sammy case in it. 4.9 low ranges have 1.609 in high, I think that would be a perfect permanent high range as well,as the perfect low.

Again you having a 2.0 and running 32's leaves you in a different situation than I'm in currently.

TBH, I have a GM 2.5l and 700R4 I think I want to swap in with a single Toyota t-case. Only reason I haven't started already is my 1.6 is as good as 1.6's get, and the a/c works. Fun fact, five 200 pound men in my little 4 door leaves me with only 4 useable gears but it will still go 80 in 4th gear with the a/c on and 1000 pounds of dude in it. 5th is useless with that much weight in it.
I was able to drive it around a little bit with the 5spd and it hauls but in high range, but stock 27" tires at street pressure is a whole different world than 32s aired down. However the auto should make up for a lot, especially since I believe I have 5.13s.

I'm with you on the Sami case. ~1.6 high and 4.xx low would probably be sweet with the auto. I don't plan on highway driving at all, so I'm not too worried about top speed with no OD. My plan is to just try it with stock low and see how it goes, I'm not planning on any real crawling anytime soon anyway. Plus it's what I have and it will give an idea on how it will be in 1:1 and 1.8, which would be similar to the high in a Sami case.

The one thing that Brent mentioned was to make sure I keep the late model tcase for the speed sensor in the tail housing, I'm not sure what if the 2.0 would like having it axed. I'd almost have to find a factory 2wd auto.... Sami case is just too much of a can of worms right now. Unless I just put it behind the tracker case then run a 2 piece front shaft.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Hard to find spare time for this project, but I was able to pull the blown 5spd out. Got the torque converter spacer/adapter tacked to the 2.0 flex plate. I'm happy trail tough makes this piece, however, some instructions would have been nice. I did figure it out though.

I'm thinking about doing the "hegan mod" to the front end. You basically redrill the rear a arm mounts. Which moves the tire out and forward while gaining a little caster and negative camber. Just need to track down an extra driver side cv axle and 2 more diff intermediate shafts or make a small cv spacer.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Hard to find spare time for this project, but I was able to pull the blown 5spd out. Got the torque converter spacer/adapter tacked to the 2.0 flex plate. I'm happy trail tough makes this piece, however, some instructions would have been nice. I did figure it out though.

I'm thinking about doing the "hegan mod" to the front end. You basically redrill the rear a arm mounts. Which moves the tire out and forward while gaining a little caster and negative camber. Just need to track down an extra driver side cv axle and 2 more diff intermediate shafts or make a small cv spacer.

I have already beaten on the cheapo amazon cv shafts and they seem pretty solid.....But if doing the hagen mod anyways buy the hub spacers and run some junkyard toyota CVS. Then when you have time take a sami rear to build a steel front housing and use the sami third with the tracker gears. This opens up all kinds of locker/spool options and you have a locked ifs setup that shouldn't break with 32s for little money.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 08:45 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I have already beaten on the cheapo amazon cv shafts and they seem pretty solid.....But if doing the hagen mod anyways buy the hub spacers and run some junkyard toyota CVS. Then when you have time take a sami rear to build a steel front housing and use the sami third with the tracker gears. This opens up all kinds of locker/spool options and you have a locked ifs setup that shouldn't break with 32s for little money.
Well the junkyards around here are basically useless and any used Toyota part is way over priced. I see zuki cv's on Amazon for $50 and even found an open box one for $28. I still need to figure out a ~1/2" spacer for the driver side cv.

These rigs don't have steel center sections? I saw a steel center upgrade on lowrange that said it was out of a grand vitara?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Well the junkyards around here are basically useless and any used Toyota part is way over priced. I see zuki cv's on Amazon for $50 and even found an open box one for $28. I still need to figure out a ~1/2" spacer for the driver side cv.

These rigs don't have steel center sections? I saw a steel center upgrade on lowrange that said it was out of a grand vitara?

No they are cast aluminum centers and huge piles. Grand vitara ones do exist but in my searches are hard to come by and you still end up with an aluminum third that wont take a conventional locker. I have seen several good writeups on building your own and it looks pretty straight forward.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
No they are cast aluminum centers and huge piles. Grand vitara ones do exist but in my searches are hard to come by and you still end up with an aluminum third that wont take a conventional locker. I have seen several good writeups on building your own and it looks pretty straight forward.
From what I read 03+ grand vitara and xl7 should have steel housing and 3rd.

I ordered the Toyota cv kit...... This thing is starting to snowball I may call around to wrecking yards for an xl7 diff, or just wait for it to blow.

What about using a sidekick rear axle as a donor for a front housing?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 94747
I'm entertaining a few options for better gearing in mine. Thinking a 9" f/r so I can run 6.50:1 gears and get my hi range back. I would do a cheap home built front with ifs shafts to convert to Toyota cv's.

If I could find another set of 5.62 track kick gears I'd try them, but those have disappeared. Toyota 5.71's don't scare me with the no horse power but they aren't exactly as low as I'd like to go, and I have this thing about Toyota stuff.

The best samurai build I ever had, had a 16V swap, 4.16 t-case (1.509 hi range) and 4.30 diff gears. That put high range gearing at 6.48 running on 32's. It was just about perfect on and off road. 9"s have about any gear ratio you could conceive of. Still debating over cost versus time involved. I have the perfect disc braked 9" rear that would be a fairly easy swap. The front diff would take some effort. I don't know if I could pull off the Hagan mod with the calmini A arms, the poly bushings don't misalign quite like the rubber factory ones.

Last edited by jr4x; 03-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I'm entertaining a few options for better gearing in mine. Thinking a 9" f/r so I can run 6.50:1 gears and get my hi range back. I would do a cheap home built front with ifs shafts to convert to Toyota cv's.

If I could find another set of 5.62 track kick gears I'd try them, but those have disappeared. Toyota 5.71's don't scare me with the no horse power but they aren't exactly as low as I'd like to go, and I have this thing about Toyota stuff.

The best samurai build I ever had, had a 16V swap, 4.16 t-case (1.509 hi range) and 4.30 diff gears. That put high range gearing at 6.48 running on 32's. It was just about perfect on and off road. 9"s have about any gear ratio you could conceive of. Still debating over cost versus time involved. I have the perfect disc braked 9" rear that would be a fairly easy swap. The front diff would take some effort. I don't know if I could pull off the Hagan mod with the calmini A arms, the poly bushings don't misalign quite like the rubber factory ones.
9" centers are sweet for the gearing options, all the way down to ~7.50 hard to justify a custom 9" ifs chunk with 30s though. Not to mention that looking under there even a 9" would be hard to fit.

What's r&p do you have now?

Is anyone making a kick to kick tcase adapter? Or kick to Toyota? Having stock low back plus a low crawl would be perfect.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
From what I read 03+ grand vitara and xl7 should have steel housing and 3rd.

I ordered the Toyota cv kit...... This thing is starting to snowball I may call around to wrecking yards for an xl7 diff, or just wait for it to blow.

What about using a sidekick rear axle as a donor for a front housing?

The sidekick rear is a 9" ring gear I belive but for some reason I recall 5hat tou need a 3" lift to clear it..... but that doesnt really make sence. I know calimini says you need a lift to clear the anvil center. Also you dont have an extra set of 5.13 gears to make one out of a rear from what I know of your junk pile
Old 03-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:

If I could find another set of 5.62 track kick gears I'd try them, but those have disappeared. .
I dont recal the name but there is an Australian based aftermarket zuk shop that stocks 5.62s
Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I dont recal the name but there is an Australian based aftermarket zuk shop that stocks 5.62s
4xFour Art - Products - VITARA 5.72 RING & PINION GEARS - FRONT

?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:40 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
Quote:
9" centers are sweet for the gearing options, all the way down to ~7.50 hard to justify a custom 9" ifs chunk with 30s though. Not to mention that looking under there even a 9" would be hard to fit.

What's r&p do you have now?

Is anyone making a kick to kick tcase adapter? Or kick to Toyota? Having stock low back plus a low crawl would be perfect.
There is a guy around building kick/d300 & kick/toy setups. I cant recall who it is though. I believe @untchabl is having one built currently.

Also, you should be able to use the 2.0l without the vss, but you might not have factory speedo anymore. There are plenty of these swaps in samurais, so they must be doing something.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
keith makes trackick/toy doublers - also makes trackick/d300 doublers too. quite a few guys in WErock running the trackick/D300 with good results

had i kept my jeep i was going to do a trackick/toy doubler from keith

Last edited by 86chevyjoe; 03-06-2019 at 01:09 PM.
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisePWoffrd View Post
There is a guy around building kick/d300 & kick/toy setups. I cant recall who it is though. I believe @untchabl is having one built currently.

Also, you should be able to use the 2.0l without the vss, but you might not have factory speedo anymore. There are plenty of these swaps in samurais, so they must be doing something.
Ya, I remember the thread, it would be cool if he could get a website or something more than what he's got going now.

Good point, I'm not worried about the speedo working at all. A friend of mine offered up his 4:1 Sami case if he can find a donor for 6.5 gears. If that happens, I may try to go that route. I think for now im just going to put it together with stock gears and see how the auto works with 1:1 and 1.8:1
Old 03-06-2019, 10:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Are you on Facebook at all or just your wife? Go sign up on suzukisamuraiowners2.0. There is a ton of good info. All of the people selling doubler kits are on there as well as a new guy selling assembled kick to samurai cases.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 94747
I looked into buying set of the auzy gears and the import tax is about $1,000 bucks. So it's over 2,000 bucks to get two r&p's into the country. If it was the exact ratio I thought I needed I would do it. Rockrat4x4 was trying to get to be a dealer and I committed to buying 2 vehicles worth, but he need 100 sets sold to make it work. There just wasn't enough people wanting them.

I enjoy doing custom stuff. I would like to have mine in the 4 to 5 inch lift range and on 32's or 33's with no body lift. The rear would fit pretty good at that height. I think I'd have to cut and rebuild the front lower cross member to get a 9" up front. But I'd like to move the front end forward any way. This is all musings right now, I'm trying to sell my house and move so I gotta wait a bit to get back on it. I finished off destroying my big jeep at KOH so the tracker is my only entertainment left for the year.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 137042
nice, il be watching this build, going to be doing a similar one this summer
Danger--Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I looked into buying set of the auzy gears and the import tax is about $1,000 bucks. So it's over 2,000 bucks to get two r&p's into the country. If it was the exact ratio I thought I needed I would do it. Rockrat4x4 was trying to get to be a dealer and I committed to buying 2 vehicles worth, but he need 100 sets sold to make it work. There just wasn't enough people wanting them.

I enjoy doing custom stuff. I would like to have mine in the 4 to 5 inch lift range and on 32's or 33's with no body lift. The rear would fit pretty good at that height. I think I'd have to cut and rebuild the front lower cross member to get a 9" up front. But I'd like to move the front end forward any way. This is all musings right now, I'm trying to sell my house and move so I gotta wait a bit to get back on it. I finished off destroying my big jeep at KOH so the tracker is my only entertainment left for the year.
Gotcha, I mean the 9" stuff isn't really that expensive, especially since you wouldn't need anything to fancy, factory housing and 3rds would probably be bulletproof. Heck, a lot of those 6.xx gears are cheap since they are popular in circle track cars. 9" just has that stigma of being $$$ because you can spend a ton on it.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 199169
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisePWoffrd View Post

Keith is building me a Tracker/Toyota setup for my Sami buggy.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Random tidbit that may save you some headache later on...
Not sure what year your 2dr is but you cant gear an 89 or older sidekick case. Everything appears the same but the case is just a tiny bit thinner in the area you have to grind out to accept the larger gears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in