Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?) - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Random tidbit that may save you some headache later on...
Not sure what year your 2dr is but you cant gear an 89 or older sidekick case. Everything appears the same but the case is just a tiny bit thinner in the area you have to grind out to accept the larger gears.
Good to know

I'm planning on using the 4 door case behind the 3spd. Brent said it will bolt up, but has different rear out put splines and the electronic speed sensor.

Would you want to part with your 2 door? Or at least the 3spd? Wilson is still kind of looking for one for his Sami.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-10-2019 at 03:30 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Good to know

I'm planning on using the 4 door case behind the 3spd. Brent said it will bolt up, but has different rear out put splines and the electronic speed sensor.

Would you want to part with your 2 door? Or at least the 3spd? Wilson is still kind of looking for one for his Sami.

I'm saving it for the 3spd and power steering for my little samurai
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I'm saving it for the 3spd and power steering for my little samurai
I thought you were dropping the 2.0 in? Would it be easier to just use the 4spd with the 2.0 then?

You can have all the power steering stuff from my 2 door if you don't want to tear that one apart.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
I thought you were dropping the 2.0 in? Would it be easier to just use the 4spd with the 2.0 then?

You can have all the power steering stuff from my 2 door if you don't want to tear that one apart.

Really no idea right now, haha. But orrigonal plan was 3spd behind the 1.6 that's already in the sami but who knows. I have a house to build
Old 03-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Really no idea right now, haha. But orrigonal plan was 3spd behind the 1.6 that's already in the sami but who knows. I have a house to build
Speaking of that, let me know if you need that ecu. I can throw it in a flat rate box.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
If your not building the 2dr I'd like it back.

On another note it would be cool if you did a good writeup with pictures and details on the hagen mod and getting the CVS to work. I dont think all of the info exists in 1 easy to follow spot.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
Quote:

On another note it would be cool if you did a good writeup with pictures and details on the hagen mod and getting the CVS to work. I dont think all of the info exists in 1 easy to follow spot.
X2.

Some of it did on izook, but that site is likely dead now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

OK, just text me your address and I'll get it in a flat rate box.

The kit showed up yesterday, machine work looks very nice, packaged nice, looked very complete and even had easy to follow instructions.

I actually got 2 days off this week so I'm hoping to get a bunch done at least one day.

I did also find a local source for good used cv's, I guess I need the hubs also, for some reason I thought the suzuki hubs were the same splines.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #59 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
OK, just text me your address and I'll get it in a flat rate box.

The kit showed up yesterday, machine work looks very nice, packaged nice, looked very complete and even had easy to follow instructions.

I actually got 2 days off this week so I'm hoping to get a bunch done at least one day.

I did also find a local source for good used cv's, I guess I need the hubs also, for some reason I thought the suzuki hubs were the same splines.

Yes, stock hubs should work
Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Yes, stock hubs should work
That's what I thought, but the directions say that I need Toyota locking hubs.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Toyota cv's do NOT fit the suzuki hubs. The Toyota stub is just slightly bigger Iirc toy is 27 spline and zuk is 26. The hub bodies and dials are the same though.

Edit: I realized that I checked the Toyota cv's to the 2 door hubs, but not the flanges on the 4 door. Maybe they are bigger?

I picked up 2 good used factory cv's, 1 aftermarket one that looked like it had never been installed, 2 Toyota hubs and 1 lock out for $90, so that was cool.

Got the trans and tcase in. It's funny how you can bolt a 1990 auto trans between the 1999 engine and tcase that was a 5 spd, with only a slight mod and spacer between the flex plate and converter.

The 3 spd auto is about 1.5" shorter than the 5spd. Luckily the front drive line from the 2 door will work. For the rear I'll probably just order a spacer. I know they are kinda ghetto, but lots of people use them without issue. I would just have the driveline retubed, but since the tubing has a bell on each end. The OD of the ends is only like 1.5"

I think I might try to button up the trans swap and put everything together to make sure that it drives OK before doing all the front end work.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-16-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 94747
With the correct bolts I've never had an issue with the spacers at all. Pretty sure I've ran spacers on all my zuki rides. The front tube has a cardboard core for some reason and it couldn't be easily retubed when I put the Sammy t-case in my 2 door, so I just ran a spacer on each end to make up the difference and it works just fine.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
With the correct bolts I've never had an issue with the spacers at all. Pretty sure I've ran spacers on all my zuki rides. The front tube has a cardboard core for some reason and it couldn't be easily retubed when I put the Sammy t-case in my 2 door, so I just ran a spacer on each end to make up the difference and it works just fine.
Front Sami drive shaft? Track kicks are slip yoke front and rear
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Front Sami drive shaft? Track kicks are slip yoke front and rear
Yes, I had to build a hybrid. The samurai shaft is to short on its own, and obviously the tracker shaft won't work. So I had the slip spline from the samurai front shaft machined down to fit the ID of the tracker tube. Even leaving the tracker tube full length It ended up an inch short. So I used two 1/2" spacers, one on each end to make it have enough spline engagement to make me feel warm and fuzzy.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Yes, I had to build a hybrid. The samurai shaft is to short on its own, and obviously the tracker shaft won't work. So I had the slip spline from the samurai front shaft machined down to fit the ID of the tracker tube. Even leaving the tracker tube full length It ended up an inch short. So I used two 1/2" spacers, one on each end to make it have enough spline engagement to make me feel warm and fuzzy.
Gotcha.

Everything I see says either 86-89 or 90-95. I assume that my 99 is the same as the 90-95?

Edit: my 90 2 door has the same driveline pattern as the 99 4door. I'm not sure why they are designating 90-95 instead of 90+

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-17-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?)

The long side inner axle will be your next weak point with the Toyota cv mod. Cycle that suspension after the Hagen mod, some guys still donít have enough room on the pass side due to how deep they make the stub adapter.

Otherwise I love the kit.

Also, 03+ is not a sure thing to for a steel front diff. Manual gv or xl7 will have a steel front diff. Some xl7 04-05 have steel front diffs but gv auto 03+ wonít have them. If they do, it was swapped in. I scowered alot of junk yards following the 03+ info and it never added up.

Last edited by chevy1925; 03-17-2019 at 10:27 AM.
chevy1925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1925 View Post
The long side inner axle will be your next weak point with the Toyota cv mod. Cycle that suspension after the Hagen mod, some guys still donít have enough room on the pass side due to how deep they make the stub adapter.

Otherwise I love the kit.

Also, 03+ is not a sure thing to for a steel front diff. Manual gv or xl7 will have a steel front diff. Some xl7 04-05 have steel front diffs but gv auto 03+ wonít have them. If they do, it was swapped in. I scowered alot of junk yards following the 03+ info and it never added up.
Good to know, I'm not planning on full on wheelin this thing, but who knows. I just liked the Toyota cv idea since I'll be doing the hegan mod anyway.

Funny you mention the front diff, I was under there today, spinning the front driveshaft and noticed that the tires weren't spinning. Spin the tires and they seem totally disconnected from each other and the driveshaft, yet no noise or drag I'm 99% sure that the 4wd worked fine the little I drove it around. Do these have some kind of disconnect that I can't see?

So if I call wrecking yards what do I ask for? Did the make the housing and 3rd steel at the same time or do some have one and not the other?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Modified the crossmember for the ~1.5" shorter trans.

The auto shifter almost bolted up to the 5spd boot holes. The holes were the same width but the auto shifter was a little longer, I just notched the front of the hole about 3/4" and used some extra factory self trappers. Tcase shift boot worked fine, it gets a little close to the auto shifter in 2 high but clears.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #69 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
I'm posative the 4wd worked in that thing. Does that one have the fancy auto locking hubs? I dont remember.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I'm posative the 4wd worked in that thing. Does that one have the fancy auto locking hubs? I dont remember.
No, flanges, and the cv's spin with the tires like they should. It's like the pinion is sheared perfectly or something
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #71 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
It's like the pinion is sheared perfectly or something
Hope not. Haha. For your sake
Old 03-17-2019, 08:01 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Quote:
Good to know, I'm not planning on full on wheelin this thing, but who knows. I just liked the Toyota cv idea since I'll be doing the hegan mod anyway.

Funny you mention the front diff, I was under there today, spinning the front driveshaft and noticed that the tires weren't spinning. Spin the tires and they seem totally disconnected from each other and the driveshaft, yet no noise or drag I'm 99% sure that the 4wd worked fine the little I drove it around. Do these have some kind of disconnect that I can't see?

So if I call wrecking yards what do I ask for? Did the make the housing and 3rd steel at the same time or do some have one and not the other?

Oh your building the 2nd gen now? I thought you were building the first gen till I saw your latest posts.

The Toyota cv conversion will not work without massive adjustments. The diff mounts hit horribly even if you do just the driver side stub shaft mod (the cvís from a Toyota hit even worse). Also the Hagen mod will make things worse trying to make the Toyota cvís fit. You will have to shift the diff to the driver side a bit as it is not centered after you put the stub shaft in. The driver side cv will not be long enough and the pass side will be too long. Also the bushings that come with the kit to hold the cv in the back of the spindle will not fit as Suzuki changed the bore diameter so you will have to make new bushings. Basically, you have a ton of work to make the toy cvís fit. Been there done that on my second gen.

As for calling the yards, wonít do you any good unless you get someone who actually has some smarts. I ordered 2 diffs off eBay because I was told ďthey are steelĒ. Showed up at my shop and they didnít pass the magnet test. Back they went. These were actual junk yards selling on eBay. At that point I just went to the u pick its but I actually found my current one on here. I did pull a second one from a friend in the JY not long after.

The front diff in these is air actuated. There is a bladder that inflates and engages the carrier to the ring gear. So turning one tire only turns one tire till you fill the bladder with air. You can not put a locker in one and the bladder is known to leak. You are better off swapping the carrier to a first gen or samurai (samurai will need machining). Then you can run a locker in there.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Oh your building the 2nd gen now? I thought you were building the first gen till I saw your latest posts.

The Toyota cv conversion will not work without massive adjustments. The diff mounts hit horribly even if you do just the driver side stub shaft mod (the cvís from a Toyota hit even worse). Also the Hagen mod will make things worse trying to make the Toyota cvís fit. You will have to shift the diff to the driver side a bit as it is not centered after you put the stub shaft in. The driver side cv will not be long enough and the pass side will be too long. Also the bushings that come with the kit to hold the cv in the back of the spindle will not fit as Suzuki changed the bore diameter so you will have to make new bushings. Basically, you have a ton of work to make the toy cvís fit. Been there done that on my second gen.

As for calling the yards, wonít do you any good unless you get someone who actually has some smarts. I ordered 2 diffs off eBay because I was told ďthey are steelĒ. Showed up at my shop and they didnít pass the magnet test. Back they went. These were actual junk yards selling on eBay. At that point I just went to the u pick its but I actually found my current one on here. I did pull a second one from a friend in the JY not long after.

The front diff in these is air actuated. There is a bladder that inflates and engages the carrier to the ring gear. So turning one tire only turns one tire till you fill the bladder with air. You can not put a locker in one and the bladder is known to leak. You are better off swapping the carrier to a first gen or samurai (samurai will need machining). Then you can run a locker in there.

Well, thanks for the heads up. Guess I got $800-900 worth of useless parts in the garage. This stupid project has just gotten out of hand. I really wish I would have just gotten a cheap beater and thrown some tires and a rear spool on it.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 166598
Sorry, didnít mean to be a Debbie downer. Your welcome to glance through my thread (the grand tracker) and see what Iíve been doing to make all that work. 2nd gens are a bitch since no one really makes shit for them
Old 03-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Sorry, didn’t mean to be a Debbie downer. Your welcome to glance through my thread (the grand tracker) and see what I’ve been doing to make all that work. 2nd gens are a bitch since no one really makes shit for them
No worries, I'd rather know now than when I'm trying to put it together.

And honestly I'm a little pissed that the $500 locker and $350 Toyota cv kit I bought for this rig didn't specify that they wouldn't work with my rig.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 03-17-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in