Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?) - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #201 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Cut and sleeve them for now to get on the road
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Are you just two 1/2" spacers away from being able to use it as is for a while and get the fun back? Because making spacers for that looks like a small easy project. I'd do that instead of taking it back apart for a few more months to build A-arms.
Ya, maybe more like 1", but either way, it's not too hard of a project. The problem is, the fire took a lot of people I knows equipment. So getting something made isn't as easy as it used to be.

Hopefully it won't take that long to build some arms. I may be under thinking it, but it doesn't seem to terribly hard. At least for the standards of this rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Cut and sleeve them for now to get on the road
I was actually thinking that also. I bet that it wouldn't be the weak point anyway. I have 3 total cv's and a buddy has a pile of them also.

I still want to build a arms, but it would be nice to get out there at least a few times while I gather parts.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 25632
On another note, one thing I was a little worried about was steering power. Surprisingly, even now locked in the front with the nobby tires at low pressure, it steered great. We'll see how the rack holds up to crawling though.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #204 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
On another note, one thing I was a little worried about was steering power. Surprisingly, even now locked in the front with the nobby tires at low pressure, it steered great. We'll see how the rack holds up to crawling though.

I'm pretty sure its Nissan Sentra shafts that people regularly cut and sleeve as a stronger then stock option. Even then the welded portion isnt what breaks.

I think the itty bitty steering links will buckle before the rack has issues. I just put the cheapest amazon rack one I could find on mine and it looked substantially better then the factory one I pulled off
Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Ya, I remember seeing someone cut and sleeve some cv's for something and not have an issue.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 25632

Hey look what I found
Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 PM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 25632
They are the suzuki to toyota cv adapters, which can interchange as a ~1/2" spacer. Which I don't think is enough, but I have an idea to make it work for now.

I tried sleeving a shaft, but all I had was some 120 wall tube, shocking that it didn't hold up......

I did pick up a bunch of cv's from a buddy, so at least I have some room for error.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 AM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 94747
If no spacer was almost enough, you don't think 1/2" might be ok?

I'm already following, but definitely in to see how you tackle a-arms from scratch. I've been entertaining buying the altered ego arms as they do sell them separate, just so I can move the front tires forward. But I would like to go a touch further than they did. I need new springs anyway because the calmini ones are absolutely trashed.

The calmini kit uses coil bind as the bump stops. My springs haven't broken yet but they are definitely damaged. I'm starting to plan for a different kind of upgrade because I want lower gears, like way lower. I'm thinking 6.50's for 33's for the 16V would get my high range back where I want it. So a home built 9" housing up front and and a 9" rear. That is way overkill for the tracker but the only easy way to get the gear ratio I want. If I did the 9" diff up front it would be nice to build a sub frame and do a centered diff with longer a-arms for better travel. I've never built a-arms before or even began to plan for cv plunge and stuff.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
If no spacer was almost enough, you don't think 1/2" might be ok?

I'm already following, but definitely in to see how you tackle a-arms from scratch. I've been entertaining buying the altered ego arms as they do sell them separate, just so I can move the front tires forward. But I would like to go a touch further than they did. I need new springs anyway because the calmini ones are absolutely trashed.

The calmini kit uses coil bind as the bump stops. My springs haven't broken yet but they are definitely damaged. I'm starting to plan for a different kind of upgrade because I want lower gears, like way lower. I'm thinking 6.50's for 33's for the 16V would get my high range back where I want it. So a home built 9" housing up front and and a 9" rear. That is way overkill for the tracker but the only easy way to get the gear ratio I want. If I did the 9" diff up front it would be nice to build a sub frame and do a centered diff with longer a-arms for better travel. I've never built a-arms before or even began to plan for cv plunge and stuff.
The one side popped out on flat ground, I think it needs more than 1/2" I'm working on cutting the flange off a bad cv right now. Not super stoked on stacked spacers, but it should be fine for what this thing is.

I really am in over my head when it comes to the cv plunge also. Right now it's just trial and error

Got the stacked spacers in, roughly 1", initial flex test makes me think they are barely going to work. With the boot popped off it looks like its pulled a little far. Loading up now to go up to the mountains and mess around.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Did ~25 mile loop of mixed smooth dirt roads, rough dirt roads, mild trails and a hair of crawling. No issues other than the noise from the pos rear drums. Rides really good, even with the struts topping out often.

Since I don't trust this thing enough to take out in the middle of nowhere by its self, I had the wife follow in our 3rd Gen 4runner.

Watch out for all that flex

Local area up our way, I've been going up here for my whole life and I still forget how amazing it is sometimes.

I definitely want to get the longer struts in, it's basically topped out just sitting there. You can feel it a lot on the rough roads. I should be getting the limit straps I need in the next few days for that.

As expected, gearing sucks, high range is pretty sluggish. And it has a hard time climbing in low, even stalls out occasionally, the sami case should be perfect with the 1.6/4.16.

Like I mentioned before, steering works really well even aired down, locked front in the rocks.

Speaking of lockers, this is my 2nd spartan and I love them. I had on in my FJ80 front and it almost felt open as far as steering but was always locked 100% when needed. Same as this one. The full carrier Detroit I put in my front 60 was not the case, even in 2 low, you could feel it binding and struggling to unlock all the time.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 25632
One more pic from yesterday.

Drove down to the river kinda near my house, the road going down is something between a dirt road and a trail. Figured I'd flex the suspension hard and see what it looks like

Good these shocks aren't 1/4" longer, that coil was this >< close to falling out.

One weird thing is that after parking there for a few minutes, it was really hot when I went to leave, like touching the red. I basically coasted down to the river. Coolant level looked good, but messing with the fan, the clutch seemed weak. I was expecting issues climbing back up the road from the river but it was perfectly in the middle the whole time, just like every other time I've drove it.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 AM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 94747
That looks like a lot of fun.

Couple questions:

1) what diff gear ratio do you have?

2) are you relatively still satisfied with the budget you've spent on this so far? As in glad you did it for the dollars?

3) think if it was an automatic you'd be able to get away with it as is better?
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #213 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:

Couple questions:

2) are you relatively still satisfied with the budget you've spent on this so far? As in glad you did it for the dollars?

4.8something
It is an auto

Last edited by 2big bronco; 07-24-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Couple questions:

1) 4.62/4.56s

2) Absolutely, I still remember you mentioning not putting too big of tire on your build, and others overshooting it. I probably could have done 30s and not had to go down the Toyota diff road. Part of the fun for me is doing something a little different. It does help that I only paid $200 it

3) it came with a blown 5 spd and I swapped a 3spd auto in that I already had. If it was a more normal low range (~2.7) like most rigs. It would probably be tolerable. I don't know what suzuki was thinking with thier low range ratios. Samurai's should have came 4:1 stock.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 94747
For all the aftermarket support these little rigs do have its crazy that diff gears aren't on the menu. I stuck with 30's only because I can't change hi range any further. I had a Sammy case in the last one which was cool but the front output shift fork failed. And it's harder to put a Sammy case in a manual trans 4x4.

That's why I talk about using a Ford 9" not because the strength is needed. But because it's the only American diff that has the ratios that I need. I'm trying to rearrange my life and I just gave away two parts kicks that had 5.13's in them.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
For all the aftermarket support these little rigs do have its crazy that diff gears aren't on the menu. I stuck with 30's only because I can't change hi range any further. I had a Sammy case in the last one which was cool but the front output shift fork failed. And it's harder to put a Sammy case in a manual trans 4x4.

That's why I talk about using a Ford 9" not because the strength is needed. But because it's the only American diff that has the ratios that I need. I'm trying to rearrange my life and I just gave away two parts kicks that had 5.13's in them.
Why is it harder to put a Sami case in a manual trans rig? The spare track kick 4wd 5 spd I had was the same out put splines as the samurai tcase, just make a trans mount and slid the intermediate shaft on.

I totally understand your high range dilemma. Whole reason I'm going with the Sami case over just some 4.24 gears in the kick case.

I think high with the 4.16s gears is like a 1.6:1, so I'll be just a hair faster than I am now with the stock case. Then I'll have 4.16:1 for climbing and crawling.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 07-26-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #217 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
So I'm still wondering, why not use toyota A arms? They should be free and then everything frame out is stronger. It would be super easy to clean up the frame and then weld new tabs wherever you want to locate the new arms. Then if you ever come up on a deal for "long travel" stuff it would bolt right on.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
So I'm still wondering, why not use toyota A arms? They should be free and then everything frame out is stronger. It would be super easy to clean up the frame and then weld new tabs wherever you want to locate the new arms. Then if you ever come up on a deal for "long travel" stuff it would bolt right on.
I just don't see it, no coil mounts, need to adapt ball joint to suzuki knuckle, "just adding tabs to the frame" won't be that easy since both a arms are mounted to cross members and I want to go forward. Also, I think they would be too short, since I want to go to T100 cv's at the same time, which are 3.25" longer than mini truck cv's.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Why is it harder to put a Sami case in a manual trans rig? The spare track kick 4wd 5 spd I had was the same out put splines as the samurai tcase, just make a trans mount and slid the intermediate shaft on.

I totally understand your high range dilemma. Whole reason I'm going with the Sami case over just some 4.24 gears in the kick case.

I think high with the 4.16s gears is like a 1.6:1, so I'll be just a hair faster than I am now with the stock case. Then I'll have 4.16:1 for climbing and crawling.
The 4x4 5 speed output isn't supported to support the drive shaft, and I don't want to build a plate to block it off. On top of that, we broke the samurai t-case in the 8V powered 2 door, so I am hesitant that it would survive in the heavier 4 door is all. Kevin, the brother who broke it has it pulled from the car to see what's broken internally and is going to put the little green car back together for the kids.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
The 4x4 5 speed output isn't supported to support the drive shaft, and I don't want to build a plate to block it off. On top of that, we broke the samurai t-case in the 8V powered 2 door, so I am hesitant that it would survive in the heavier 4 door is all. Kevin, the brother who broke it has it pulled from the car to see what's broken internally and is going to put the little green car back together for the kids.
That makes sense, I guess it would be easier/better to just get a 2wd 5spd.

What broke? Grinding noise? Front or rear output? Input?

Side thought. Will a ringr adapter work on the 2nd Gen bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch? I've toyed with the idea of putting my 60s under this thing with 40s. I think if I do that, I'd just go to 7.17s and use a ringR with a Toyota trans and my tcases.

For now, I'm trying to just stay on track, need to get the longer struts in and then once I get the driveline adapters in, the sami case.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #221 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
That makes sense, I guess it would be easier/better to just get a 2wd 5spd.

What broke? Grinding noise? Front or rear output? Input?

Side thought. Will a ringr adapter work on the 2nd Gen bellhousing with the hydraulic clutch? I've toyed with the idea of putting my 60s under this thing with 40s. I think if I do that, I'd just go to 7.17s and use a ringR with a Toyota trans and my tcases.

For now, I'm trying to just stay on track, need to get the longer struts in and then once I get the driveline adapters in, the sami case.
Something in the front output broke, locking it into 4 low, the front output will not release even with the case removed from the vehicle. Rear will go into neutral but the interlock pin is still in there so it will only move between low and N

I just took mine over two mountain passes on Sunday, a couple 11,500 footers. High range on the highway portion between trails in the mountains was a drag. Some times 2nd gear and 30 mph was all I could do, I don't think gearing is going to help all that much. I'm wondering if a cheap turbo would fix my high range more than gears would.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Something in the front output broke, locking it into 4 low, the front output will not release even with the case removed from the vehicle. Rear will go into neutral but the interlock pin is still in there so it will only move between low and N

I just took mine over two mountain passes on Sunday, a couple 11,500 footers. High range on the highway portion between trails in the mountains was a drag. Some times 2nd gear and 30 mph was all I could do, I don't think gearing is going to help all that much. I'm wondering if a cheap turbo would fix my high range more than gears would.
Lower r&p would just put you in a higher gear. I can't imagine it would increase the speed much.

Turbo would solve all problems
Old 07-31-2019, 11:10 AM   #223 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Keep your eye out for a 529 ifs front for me, preferably locked already. I heard rumor you may not be moving in the immediate future so you will have plenty of time to convert my front also
Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 PM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
I've toyed with the idea of putting my 60s under this thing with 40s. I think if I do that, I'd just go to 7.17s ...
my vote. but i'd leave the 5 speed hydro zuk trans in and go 6.5:1 zuk case

do it!!!!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
my vote. but i'd leave the 5 speed hydro zuk trans in and go 6.5:1 zuk case

do it!!!!
7.17s with 1.7 high?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in