Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suzuki (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?) (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2676146)

YotaAtieToo 01-27-2019 07:41 PM

Some kind of wannabe sxs build (side by sidekick?)

A while back I picked up an 8v/3spd auto/4x4/2 door sidekick. It was rough, but a buddy wanted some of the parts and I wanted the 3spd auto for a kid buggy. Got it kinda running and then lost interest.

Fast forward a few years and pretty much everything myself and my buddy owned were lost in the camp fire. Except this stupid pos sidekick :rolleyes: I ended up renting a place on 3 wooded acres that backs up to logging land, so I was figuring I may as well bring it up to beat around here.

While trying to get it running right, I had swapped ecu's to see if it would help. Well I guess I forgot to put 1 of them back in, because they all burned. So I hit up a few people I know with zuk stuff and ended up with a good ecu and an entire 4 door 99 with a 2.0 and blown 5 spd :laughing:

https://i.postimg.cc/fyZgLc9C/Message-1548612062176.jpg

Thank a lot 2big bronco :flipoff2:

I also noticed this on the 2 door when I loaded it up to bring it here

https://i.postimg.cc/Px1RT3PN/Message-1548624281461.jpg

So now I have a 2 door with a motor that runs like shit and a broken frame, and a 4 door with a blown clutch and reverse gear.

Fix the frame and drop the 2.0 into the 2 door, swap the auto into the 4 door or drop the 2 door body and trans on a shortened 4 door frame?

DannyK 01-31-2019 01:41 PM

I vote swap the auto in the four door.

YotaAtieToo 01-31-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyK (Post 44297410)
I vote swap the auto in the four door.

That's my plan as of now, I do like the 2 door/soft top body better, but the idea behind this whole thing is to have something to use, not a huge project.

I actually placed an order with trail tough today. Thier 2.0 flex plate to 3spd auto tq converter spacer, a used flex plate, a rear mini spool and front locker. As well as a set of tires from Amazon prime :grinpimp:

I was really close to adding the 4.24s tcase gears to the order, but I'm not sure if they will fit the bill for this thing or not. I'm worried that I'll be stuck between high range and low range too often while bashing around. The 3.0 gears are a consideration, but not sure if it's worth the money for the little drop. I feel like a Sami case with a a 4.xx gear set would be perfect with the high range reduction.

YotaAtieToo 02-11-2019 02:06 PM

Got tires

https://i.postimg.cc/mrwTgMnQ/20190207-175344.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqZTmjwb/20190210-181051.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sXgsQxFb/20190210-181113.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/mDpRQ4Bk/20190210-181124.jpg

Alex456123 02-11-2019 07:28 PM

I vote fix the frame on the 2 door and 2.0 swap it. Those 2nd gen chassis' have minimal aftermarket and the wheelbase wont help you on the technical stuff.

DannyK 02-12-2019 04:54 AM

What are the specs on those tires? They look good.

YotaAtieToo 02-12-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyK (Post 44315514)
What are the specs on those tires? They look good.

32x10x15 Maxxis carnivore, about $160 ea shipped to me. Almost 1" of tread depth and obviously much bigger voids than a typical truck tire. From what I hear, they are super soft and hook up well on rock.

YotaAtieToo 02-13-2019 10:16 AM

Still waiting on parts from trail tough. I was kinda surprised at how loose thier customer service has been.

Ordered parts, and never received an order confirmation or I give it 4-5 days before calling them. She said they received the order but the front lockers are "built to order" (doesn't mention this anywhere on the site) and they would ship out that Friday (8th) today our card was charged which I assume means it shipped out. Although I never received a shipping confirmation email.

All in all its not a big deal, I just expected better communication from them. Oh well.

86chevyjoe 02-14-2019 02:25 PM

nice choice on the carni's, you'll like them! i too would ditch the trackick tcase and put in a sami case

YotaAtieToo 02-14-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 44320002)
nice choice on the carni's, you'll like them! i too would ditch the trackick tcase and put in a sami case

Thanks for the suggestion. I liked the black waters for being a strait up utv tire, but I liked the square profile of the carnivore.

I'm going to just see how it goes with a stock track kick case. It should have 5.13s, so high range might be use able with the auto. If so, I might go to the 4.24s. If not I'll leave it stock and keep my eyes open for a Sami case. I did salvage one from my garage that looks ok-ish. But it had water in it before the fire. Not sure if trail tough would be happy with it as a core :laughing:

BLOODBANE 02-14-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44318026)
Still waiting on parts from trail tough. I was kinda surprised at how loose thier customer service has been.

Ordered parts, and never received an order confirmation or I give it 4-5 days before calling them. She said they received the order but the front lockers are "built to order" (doesn't mention this anywhere on the site) and they would ship out that Friday (8th) today our card was charged which I assume means it shipped out. Although I never received a shipping confirmation email.

All in all its not a big deal, I just expected better communication from them. Oh well.

Brent and his folks up there are top notch. If you got charged you will get the product. I have ordered countless items form TT and never been disappointed once.

You got a nice build going on here. Looking forward to seeing it done.

YotaAtieToo 02-14-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLOODBANE (Post 44320474)
Brent and his folks up there are top notch. If you got charged you will get the product. I have ordered countless items form TT and never been disappointed once.

You got a nice build going on here. Looking forward to seeing it done.

I'm not worried about not getting the product. But stating that the lockers were custom order and to expect 2 weeks to receive them would have been cool. I would have paid for the rest of my order to be shipped out right away and the locker later had I known. Could have had the auto in the 4 door by now. Again, not a big deal.

Also, what's the deal with the 2.0 alternator price? Orileys wants $189 for one! Hopefully they will price match the $80 one I found online.

86chevyjoe 02-15-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44320246)
Thanks for the suggestion. I liked the black waters for being a strait up utv tire, but I liked the square profile of the carnivore.

I'm going to just see how it goes with a stock track kick case. It should have 5.13s, so high range might be use able with the auto. If so, I might go to the 4.24s. If not I'll leave it stock and keep my eyes open for a Sami case. I did salvage one from my garage that looks ok-ish. But it had water in it before the fire. Not sure if trail tough would be happy with it as a core :laughing:

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44320690)
Also, what's the deal with the 2.0 alternator price? Orileys wants $189 for one! Hopefully they will price match the $80 one I found online.

you're going to like the carni's, they just wear fast! bastards are super soft, but work great in the snow and rocks! i forgot you have the 2.0L now - i think that motor with the 3 speed auto and 5.13s will work damn good on 32s! i wanted to do those 3.0 gears in a trackick range box with stock toyota case behind it :smokin:

i have a spare alternator if you need one, they are crazy expensive. i'd just buy used ones from u-pull it lol, every now and again i'd get a bad one :laughing:

YotaAtieToo 02-15-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe (Post 44321838)
you're going to like the carni's, they just wear fast! bastards are super soft, but work great in the snow and rocks! i forgot you have the 2.0L now - i think that motor with the 3 speed auto and 5.13s will work damn good on 32s! i wanted to do those 3.0 gears in a trackick range box with stock toyota case behind it :smokin:

i have a spare alternator if you need one, they are crazy expensive. i'd just buy used ones from u-pull it lol, every now and again i'd get a bad one :laughing:

I'm going to keep an eye out for some ~31" at or mt's to keep wear of the Maxxis'

I'm hoping so, it's not going to be a crazy wheeler or anything. The tires are probably way overkill for what I'm intending. I'm sure some 30" mt's would have been more than enough, I really just have wanted to run utv tires on a suzuki for a while, :laughing:

Thanks for the offer, I actually just got one from orileys today. He wouldn't match the $85 on Amazon because his was lifetime warranty, and the Amazon one was 1 year, but he came down from $189 to $150. I have not had great experience with the reman alternators from any of the parts stores, so the lifetime warranty was worth the extra money to me.

I got a welder and am starting to get the garage set up, I need to pull the 3spd out of the 2 door and get it out of the garage so I can actually start working on the 4 door.

2big bronco 02-16-2019 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm jelly of the tires. The money I got for the red one with green doors bought some new parts for the green one with red doors. I think your in for a surprise when you realize how much trimming/ sawzall demo your going to need to do to clear those tires. I might have to get myself a set.

YotaAtieToo 02-16-2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big bronco (Post 44323494)
I'm jelly of the tires. The money I got for the red one with green doors bought some new parts for the green one with red doors. I think your in for a surprise when you realize how much trimming/ sawzall demo your going to need to do to clear those tires. I might have to get myself a set.

Hard to tell, did you get new a arms? I like the canuk made ones that push the tire forward. Would help out a huge amount. Are these newer "vitaras" rack and pinion?

I have kinda had that in my head since before I ordered them. I could have just got 30s and it would have been way easier, but where's the fun in that? My last rig (90 4runner) started out with stock ifs and 35s, so this can't be that hard? I do have some 1.5-2" coil spacers on the 2 door I'm hoping to use on the 4 door. It does look like I'm trying to fit 40s on the thing when I roll it up next to it :laughing:

Anyways, got a little bit done. I ended up just trimming the excess lip of the wheel after I welded the ring on. Made it way easier to mount the tire, more similar to a manufactured beadlock. For anyone who hasn't heard how to check your welds for leaks, listen up, it will save you a lot of headaches. I read this on here after having issues with my last weld on beadlocks.

Take an air nozzle and stick it under the ring, spray soap and water on the welds. You will have leaks where you started and stopped, a trick I learned is to overlap your start and stops, which helps. Mark the leaks, grind them out and weld over them. Repeat if necessary. No sealant to mess with, no leaking wheels, just mount the tires and go, like it should be.

I did have a little trouble with the tires almost being to small around the outter edge of the bead. The ring wanted to sit up on the sidewall on one side and I kinda have the same issue on the back side of the wheel. I brought the tire inside for the night since it's been in the 30s and snowing, hoping the heat will let it stretch out a little.

https://i.postimg.cc/wj4bM04J/20190216-184837.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/tg1vxW8c/20190216-185053.jpg

2big bronco 02-17-2019 11:39 AM

Wow, I love the look of the sami wheels with the beadlocks.

Yes they are rack and pinion.

The front isnt to bad to trim. You just cut everything you can and then take a 4lb beater to the firewall. It's the rear that is going to be a pita. These things flex so good that you will have to cut the wheel wells and any more then the rolled edge and you are into the interior. If you pulled the carpet it wouldnt be to bad to just stitch in some new sheet metal strips to keep it sealed off.

YotaAtieToo 02-17-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big bronco (Post 44323968)
Wow, I love the look of the sami wheels with the beadlocks.

Yes they are rack and pinion.

The front isnt to bad to trim. You just cut everything you can and then take a 4lb beater to the firewall. It's the rear that is going to be a pita. These things flex so good that you will have to cut the wheel wells and any more then the rolled edge and you are into the interior. If you pulled the carpet it wouldnt be to bad to just stitch in some new sheet metal strips to keep it sealed off.

I like it a lot, I've been want to do this exact thing for a while. I figured the added width of the weld on kit is about perfect for the 10" tires. Around 6.5" I believe. I will admit that the manufactured circle track bead locks were tempting for around $140 ea. But more were 8" Wide and I wasn't sure what bs I was going to need. If I have to get spacers for these (I already know I do) it'll still be cheaper than the manufactured wheels. And I like the narrower wheel.

I'll make something happen, I'm not to afraid to cut whatever is in the way. The carpet is pretty gross, so it'll probably come out too. I may just space the bump stops down if it gets too crazy. I'm going to kinda test fit this one right now and figure out what spacers I need.

2big bronco 02-17-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44324094)
I'm going to kinda test fit this one right now and figure out what spacers I need.

Post pics, I might have to order those same tires. I found the same ones in a 29 so if you have to many problems I may get those

YotaAtieToo 02-17-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big bronco (Post 44324600)
Post pics, I might have to order those same tires. I found the same ones in a 29 so if you have to many problems I may get those

I'm trying to, the internet really sucks up here and the pics won't upload :homer:

Also, can you pm me Jordans phone number, I need to put it on the title transfer.

YotaAtieToo 02-17-2019 08:15 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/s21g69MJ/20190217-132556.jpg

Half ass put it on the front. The later "vitara" calipers stick out further and won't work with stock Sami wheels. It's only like 1/2" at most, but the smallest spacers I saw were 1" so I ordered a pair. If they aren't enough, I'll order some 1.5" and put these on the rear. Pic is at full droop.

https://i.postimg.cc/V66nFCwy/20190217-134213.jpg

It wouldn't fit even at ride height with weight on it :laughing: I trimmed the bumper and beat in the front of the wheel well so at least it will roll around on flat ground. I only have 5 tires for each, so I basically need to get the 32s on the 4 door so I can have rollers for the 2 door. :laughing:

Also got the auto pulled, that was more of a pita than I expected. It's hard to get to anything with the inner fenders in the front. I just want to pull the coil spacers off the 2 door and then kick it out side and start on pulling the 5spd. Hopefully by the time it's out, I'll have my parts from trail tough.

I also need some type of trans cooler. I had really good luck with the heat sink cylinder type with my full hydro on my other rigs but I'm not sure if it would work good for a trans.

YotaAtieToo 02-25-2019 04:50 PM

Made some steady progress. Got the parts I need off the 2 door and kicked it outside. Also finished all the wheels and mounted tires.

Tacked rings

https://i.postimg.cc/t4f8NRy4/20190224-105650.jpg

Cut off lip

https://i.postimg.cc/6QNcFtRc/20190224-104018.jpg

Welded every other span, then grind a bevel about 1" into the ends of the weld.

https://i.postimg.cc/d012b338/20190224-154000.jpg

You over lap the welds to help it seal. That way you are nice and hot by the time you get to the end of the last weld. If you try to start in the same spot, it will leak, every time.

I'm sure some people are wondering why in the fuck I cut the lip off the wheel. Well for one, there was a huge gap that I felt would have been too much to fill. 2nd, I always hated how hard my last weld on beadlocks were to mount and dismount compared to a manufactured beadlock. I've noticed that manufactured beadlocks have a smaller OD on the outer lip, it doesn't need to be the full OD since it's bolted in place. I'm confident I won't have any problems, but we will see.

Looking like something finally

https://i.postimg.cc/vHQYzVcH/20190224-143113.jpg

Started tearing into the 4 door just a bit. Gotta pull the trans and both diffs, plus install coil spacers. The 2 door had 2" rears and about 1.5" in the front (which I assume will equal 2" lift with the leverage of the a arm) Does anyone think that will be too much without any other changes? CV angles? Rear link bind? They're aluminum, so I could get them turned down no problem. I had really good luck running 35s on my ifs 4runner and I believe part of that was because I left it all stock. No extra stress on everything by cranking the t bars.

Valley Rock 02-25-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44290964)
Thanks a lot 2big bronco :flipoff2:

You gotta watch him, one of his texts cost me upwards of 15K ! :flipoff2:

Sorry to hear you lost all of your shit in that fire, can't imagine, you have a place to work on stuff and something to work on it with ?

I guess you got tools it seems, but working outdoors in this weather is sure no damn good

carslut 02-25-2019 08:11 PM

neat project.... excited to see the scale of it once your done.

YotaAtieToo 02-25-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Rock (Post 44336926)
You gotta watch him, one of his texts cost me upwards of 15K ! :flipoff2:

Sorry to hear you lost all of your shit in that fire, can't imagine, you have a place to work on stuff and something to work on it with ?

I guess you got tools it seems, but working outdoors in this weather is sure no damn good

Thanks.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have a a good friend rent his house to us. Which includes a large 2 car garage. His truck is on one side and I'm using the other. I did the wheels outside so I didn't get grinder dust everywhere inside since there is still some other stuff in the garage. The 4 door is inside now. I've been able to replace some tools, yes. It can be frustrating at times not having everything, but it's a start.