Low Range Coast - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 562802
Low Range Coast

My Sami runs a 1.6 with stock 5-speed transmission and t-case with 6.5 gears. T-case is in a cradle. Both front and rear drive lines hand slip yokes. Diff gears are stock. Rear diff had a lockright. 33Ē tires.

I am still trying to fine- tune this rig to make everything work well together. What I am curious about is what I experience in low range. Everything seems to run pretty good in low range but when I use gearing to slow me down grades in 4th and 5th I get a lot of gear noise. The t-case is freshly rebuilt and quiet otherwise.

Next symptom is when I coast in low range. Letís say Iím cruising up to and obstacle in 4th gear low range then push in the clutch to roll to a stop. When I push in the clutch the rig shimmers and jerks like something is catching or grabbing somewhere. Itís fairly violent. But if I simply pull the transmission into neutral it coasts perfectly normal. I have notice similar symptoms rolling back in reverse as well with the clutch pressed.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on the subject.
note4ben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Well first of all, don't ever coast in low with the clutch in. You have the potential to over spin your transmission and/or clutch. Think about how fast you can move when in 1st/low 5k rpms? A few mph? Now if you coast twice that. Your clutch is spinning 10k RPM. I saw a guy literally explode his clutch doing something similar, he was super low geared like 300:1+ crawling up a climb, pushed in the clutch to roll back and the clutch blew into dust.

Also, you are going to have noise in 4th and 5th in low. It probably makes the same noise in high, but it's drowned out by road noise.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50866
6.5 gears make noise. My old samurai tcase sounded like a box of rocks. My current one whines and heats up if you run it on the road for a while.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Well first of all, don't ever coast in low with the clutch in. You have the potential to over spin your transmission and/or clutch. Think about how fast you can move when in 1st/low 5k rpms? A few mph? Now if you coast twice that. Your clutch is spinning 10k RPM. I saw a guy literally explode his clutch doing something similar, he was super low geared like 300:1+ crawling up a climb, pushed in the clutch to roll back and the clutch blew into dust.

Also, you are going to have noise in 4th and 5th in low. It probably makes the same noise in high, but it's drowned out by road noise.
One of the best things I have read recently.....thanks for the good reminder!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in