NEW 2019 Samurai, well… a Jimny in Europe. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 63183
NEW 2019 Samurai, well… a Jimny in Europe.

Since Suzuki left the States how can one of these be imported to the States, west coast preferred. Can an individual get a vehicle “OKed” somehow and registered or can only the manufacturer do so? Safety items, lighting, emissions, etc.

Don’t know if I really want one yet, as I have only seen one on the road and another in a parking lot. The dealers I have been to haven’t had any in stock.
Attached Images

Sno White is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Uptown shithead

Member # 858068
You'd probably have to get it safety tested by the dot.

The motorex nissan skyline fiasco comes to mind
"Don't Tread On Me" is what is says and I'll take that to my grave"
Inevitable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 207522
Not sure if this is a troll post, or serious. You won't get one into the US, road legal, without Suzuki importing them, unless you have it registered in a different country. You could possibly get one brought in and labeled for offroad use only though.

Last edited by Diesel_Zuk; 04-22-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 63183
Troll, not

Serious, Yes.
Do-able, in doubt very much.

Just looking for some preliminary info. I'll probably have to find someone at a dealership, or manufacturer, in Europe that speaks decent English to get just what the specifications are and why, besides no longer having any dealerships in the States, Suzuki is not/can not import them to the States. Only then will I know just what is needed. Still haven't seen one to say I want one, but this appears to be just what a few people have been looking for - a new Samurai!

The first responder '"Inevitable" mentioned Motorex; I looked into this fiasco a bit and found that some vehicles, a very few, were indeed inspected by DOT after some safety changes were made.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 572266
Get in contact with a professional vehicle importer and let them use their established supply chain to get it done legally. Otherwise it could easily get held in customs forever. Or you get it here and are never allowed to register it for on-road use.

I suspect that the cost of all this makes it not worth the effort. That's probably why there are very few AFFORDABLE imported vehicles on the road today. If you have an unlimited budget, you'd probably be looking at other vehicles
samuraidave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 63183
Finally found a dealer in France that had one in the show room, it was already sold, but he allowed me to look at it. Couldn't drive it. It is a much better built vehicle than the Samurai ever was, should be as the tech is 30 plus years later than my 1986. The doors were solid, visibility is great. It looks very similar to the Samurai underneath. I would bet the axels are still built by ASIN who also built the Toyota axels of that period. Both front and rear panhard bars. Transfer case looks similar and has beefed up mounts, not those formed sheet metal things that bend.

It would be interesting to see just what all the Suzuki aftermarket jobbers would do to trail toughen it. The starting unit sells for about 20,000 Euros.

I do want one but don't know if I will be in Europe long enough to get my answers and buy one. Would like it to qualify as used if I can find a way to register it in the States.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
The easiest way to do it is to wait 25 years.

Otherwise prepare for DOT and emissions inspections and certification. you are looking at at least $25,000 for the first vehicle. I’d imagine at some point you will need attorneys also.

Just so you know, You may have to crash test one. Much like jaguar had to do with the XJ 220

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 04-28-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 02:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 71584
And of all the cars you could go through the effort to make legal in the US, I'm not sure I'd choose a JB74 Jimmy.

Whilst they're kind of cute, like any modern vehicle, these have LOADS of safety systems on them, along with CAN bus which goes a long way to erode the utility of this vehicle, even compared to the JB43, which was less utilitarian than the JB32.... etc etc.

Yes, the axle components share their architecture with the Samurai, but other than the rear centre and axle spline count, Nothing is shared.

We've all been guilty of dreaming that XXX new car we can't buy in our market is our dream car and would be perfect for us, but it's rarely the case. I've driven extensively in California and returned yesterday from a trip to Japan where I also drove in the mountains where Jimny's are everywhere. The Kei models (JA11/22/JB23/JB64) make sense in this market and the wide track versions are almost non-existent. I don't think a Jimmy makes any sense on the west coast of the US unless you never left a large city - it's the wrong car for the job. Add in the difficulty of parts availability/local knowledge and I'd stay well away.

What was your intended use?

If you're desperate for a Jimny, find a 1998 model. Mechanically much closer to a Samurai but with the same suspension and dimensions as the current model, and you'll only have to store it for 3.5 years before you can legally register it in the US.

We've had all "world" models of Jimny since 1976 here in Australia. I'm not a huge fan of the 1998-on Jimny - in my opinion the design is too compromised and too much utility has been lost compared to the Samurai

Steve.
Gwagensteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
People ship cars, buggies, motorcycles, ect all the time to drive while they are in the states. What if one just got left here to build for off road use.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 480186
They are neat little cars aren't they. I assumed they are not being sold in the US because of the roll over story that spead about them and caused the most damage in the US. You guys didn't get the last generation either.

Is it really not possible to road register a foreign car in the US? It's done all the time here in the UK. You just need a certificate of confirmity from the manufacturer and the car goes through a test which with a mass produced vehicle is just a formality, and you get your certificate, done.
rcx950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 71584
Under 25 years of age the car needs to meet federal DOT rules. It has nothing to do with the Jimny specifically- all cars under 25 years of age have to meet these rules. We have a similar system in Australia, but it’s not quite as restrictive. It’s quite hard to get a “certificate of conformity” for US DOT requirements when the manufacturer didn’t build the car to meet US DOT requirements.

Suzuki withdrew from passenger vehicle sales in the US years ago, largely because their products are unsuited for the US market.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 572266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcx950 View Post
They are neat little cars aren't they. I assumed they are not being sold in the US because of the roll over story that spead about them and caused the most damage in the US. You guys didn't get the last generation either.
Most of the Samurai guys know of that story and the law suits that followed. Honestly, enough time has passed that very few "normal" people remember the story. Plus, changing the name to Jimny helps erase the past.

The new vehicles are cool looking, but even as a 20 year Samurai owner, I can't say that I'd buy one. If I wanted a daily driver, there are better options available. if I wanted a utility vehicle or an offroader, there are better options available. Generally speaking, the Suzuki auto brand isn't at the top of many lists for most people.
samuraidave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Am I the only one that has many vehicles to drive and want a Jimny as a novelty toy and not a daily driver? I've had 6 samurai's sidekicks & trackers. Never DD'd a single one of them myself. I want a 1st gen jimny because it's half a joke and the little dude should be fun to putter around in. I love my tracker on 30's.

I can't imagine what it must be like to only have one vehicle at a time and the thought process of only buying something to daily drive. When I was 18 I had a pickup truck, a jeep and a race car. Now I have a fleet of crap. Took the Tracker to Easter Jeep Safari, now I'm trying to take the Jeep to Moab for the weekend which I haven't touched since KOH in february. I'd love to ad a first gen jimny to the toy pile.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 135683

The new Jimny is pretty sweet if you ask me coming from having 5 samurais and using them as daily drivers or offroad toys. I have pretty much always had atleast 2 vehicles tagged and on the rd at the same time since I was 16 and still liked the samurai as a dd. If these were brought to the states with a low entry price like overseas with a good warranty and a engine that got good MPG I think they would sell quick, problem is they would probably throw some 175hp motor in it (because people apparently cant drive anything that doesnt do 0-60 in 5 seconds anymore) and it would get 20mpg not the 30+ it does now.

I said right after seeing one with the retro grill put on that it should be sold in USA under the toyota brand as a new mini FJ cruiser, this would get suzuki back in the usa without having to build up dealerships again and the like and would get toyota another small 4x4 with good mpg and good projected reliability. It would also help a ton of "normal" people feel better about the purchase if toyota was the one providing the dealerships and service\warranty rather than Suzuki coming back in with few here and there. I just found this example to show the grill but obviously we would get the model with flares and the 4cyl, also instead of the back of roof being white just do the very top like the FJ's. But tell me you cant see that with the old school T O Y O T A badge on grill. Recently toyota has been doing these joint ventures like the brz\frs deal and the bmw\supra along with the new mazda\yaris.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 71584
I'm impressed that you can make definitive statements about a car you've never seen or driven. They're not a new samurai.

These cars aren't actually "cheap" anywhere in the world, and yes, it's likely the US market would find them underpowered, because your distances are large and freeway cruising speeds high.

Despite knowing that Suzuki is a very conservative manufacturer who spends the minimum possible on R&D, I was still surprised that the Jimny didn't switch to a transverse/monocoque platform at this generation, because it would have made the car ride and handle better, and more closely align it with the expectations of the world market.

I was in rural Japan last week and it all made sense. The Kei versions of the new Jimny are everywhere and, critically, Suzuki does make exactly what I was discribing, the hustler.

Which are also everywhere in Rural Japan.

Suzuki is barely interested in the world market for the Jimny. It continues to be a cheaply re-engineered conversion of the Kei JDM model, which is why it still has a 4 speed auto, low payload etc. The potential cost of another Consumer unions type debacle for Suzuki will keep this car well away from the US because the potential sales numbers are tiny.

I like that they exist, they kind of look alright, but they're mostly a cosmetic rehash of the last generation, which mean they've inherited the pretty average suspension/layout of that model with loads of added electronic complexity. They only look more utilitarian than the previous model.

Steve.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 135683
When a new midsize truck can easily cost over 40k I feel like near 20k is a good deal for a solid axle front and rear 4x4 with low range. So we have a guy with Gwagen in his name is throwing stones at a cheap 4x4 that shares most of it's chassis design with 1 generation before it. I mean the G's are so sweet right, I mean those things are a steal at what price new? for a 30 year old military design that basically just keeps getting more leather & chrome thrown at it until the latest redesign.

I dont remember calling it a samurai at any point, compare it to a samurai yes....gee wonder how I arrived at such a stretch of the imagination there... 2dr, 4x4, solid axle, 4cyl,5spd manual,2spd transfer case and made by Suzuki with a rough boxy shape thats near same size as a hatchback and a actual frame under it instead of unibody....saying it outloud it really reminds me of OH YEAH a Samurai. Since they were sold as jimny\sierra\santana\gypsy etc all at same time as we in the USA got the samurai built on same platform please tell me your expert opinion on the difference the badge makes calling it a jimny or samurai. I have personally driven the last gen jimny and loved them (so if the new one drives just like it but with some updated visual design great) but they never did end up selling them here in states and was hoping this one might but I'm very doubtful. And no I'm not going to try and pay to import it myself and end up with a brand new paper weight with no warranty I cant drive on rd legally.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 71584
My Gwagen was a 1985 model Diesel with no leather or chrome and 36" swampers thanks very much. I owned it for 17 years. But feel free to judge me based on my username.

I'm a 25 year member of our local suzuki club, so I've seen and driven quite a few suzukis of plenty of generations. There's four Samurai's inlcluding three LWB's in my shop as we speak.

The excitement about this model is completely blown out of proportion. We've had 20 years of the previous generation, and they're very difficult to work with. They're better than the SJ80 (not that that would be hard) but they have a very compromised suspension design, have a high rear centre of gravity, weak automatic transmissions, and death wobble persistently. At least the early ones are electronically simple.

They're less than the sum of their parts.

The new model is usefully more powerful, appears to have slightly more tire clearance, and the retro body styling might prove to be a little less damage prone, but like all new models, you're paying a huge penalty in electronic intervention. Then suzuki went and put a crossmember under the front driveshaft that restricts droop. (the Japanese have already made a drop crossmember to counter this, but still, it's indicative of the enigneering of the vehicle) It still has a 4 speed auto, it still has drum rear brakes. It feels smaller inside than a previous generation car, with less headroom. It now has under dash EPAS, with a manual steering box, to allow lane change intervention etc, but how well that responds to larger tires and more offset rims remains to be seen. Remember, this car is engineered for 16X4.5" rims.

Everyone has got carried away with the styling and conveniently forgotten it's the same car underneath, with the same core problems, and a bunch of new ones.

Like I said, everyone always thinks the car they can't have is the perfect car. The reality is somewhat different. How much JK does $20K buy you?
Old 05-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
You could always change it to CrackpipeSteve?
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 71584
Sorry for not getting giddy like a schoolgirl over a bit of retro styling.

Steve.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 135683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwagensteve View Post
How much JK does $20K buy you?
Not enough for me to spend 2K on one let alone 20K, I have 0 love for the JK or JL\JT other than maybe the concept 2dr gladiator its not bad looking but even then I would have to wait for it to become a 20k used vehicle not fresh off the lot with warranty and financing.

So your Gwagen\Samurai VS current Gwagen\Jimny, still valid point about faulting a vehicle for sharing designs over a generation when you apparently were rather fond of yours that went on to be a refresh of old design how many times?

Maybe in AU you can pick apart the new jimny but here in the states it would still be a good deal price wise and all vehicles have some faults. Faulting it for being retro and appealing to people that haven't been able to buy one for like 25 years is pretty easy for a guy that has access to them along with the previous models. And the kei car version is ok but the one with flares,offset wheels and a 4cyl is somehow terrible? I do actually prefer the look of the no flares personally but I can see that you wouldnt be able to fit any bigger of a tire under it without them either sticking out or getting into radius arm, so flares.

In general I feel like SUV's and trucks are getting way too big anymore with too many bells and whistles to actually be used off road and on rd. I have pics of my 2006 tundra double cab with 74" bed next to my moms 2006 double cab 60" tacoma and the bed length is the biggest difference, otherwise they are nearly same overall size. My 1997 tacoma looks tiny in comparison like it should as the last of the compact toys. I wont even bother comparing the new tundra's over all size in comparison as it is an obvious difference.

I guess maybe people with ton more money dont mind scratching up their 40-50K midsize or 60-90K fullsize truck\suv or have the money to have one of those as a daily then run a 20K offroad rig also but for me having 1 payment that you can actually afford and having a dual use vehicle is a big deal.

Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 05-04-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 71584
This discussion has nothing to do with the Gwagen, but in any case, we get the G professional here, which is a utility vehicle, very close to my 1985. The only "refresh" has been to fit an emissions compliant engine and meet updated safety requirements. It's still a utility vehicle.

I'm not faulting the new jimny for being a carry over, I'm faulting the new interest in the jimny, which is the same package with a rebody. I'm pointing out the new box doesn't make what's inside more appealing than it was three years ago, where was the interest three years ago?

Suzuki forgot how to engineer live axle suspension after 1996, and never got their head around IFS. It's not a great product and a car doesn't deserve to be lusted after just because it exists, it needs to be a good car for the market it's being sold in. The Jimny platform is not as good as it's on paper specifications suggest - it's USP of having a chassis and live axles does not translate into an effective product because of its design comprimises.

Yes, it IS Easy for me to pick apart the Jimny because we have experience with them. You can use that critique to temper your enthusiasm for one stateside, or ignore it as you wish.

Yes, the Kei version makes lots of sense in it's market and that's how the car is engineered. As a recap, Kei limits vehicle width and length along with power and engine capacity, but lowers registration costs and critically, a Kei car can be purchased without having a designated parking space. Japanese streets are narrow and parking at a premium. Japanese manufacturers make Kei vehicles in every segment - from sports cars through to minivans and trucks. A Kei car makes no sense in most world markets, but that doesn't mean the wide version of a jimny makes sense either.

The widetrack versions for world market exist because of the whim of the US market buying the Samurai. It's not offset rims, its wider track width axles, smaller tire diameter, and an engine aligned with the world market. For years the world market engine wasn't more powerful than the Kei market engine, just less sophisticated, but now the gap has opened up a bit. The wheel arch openings aren't larger in the widetrack model, there's no more tire clearance. Jimny's don't suffer from tire/chassis clearance problems, the wheel openings and body structure limit tire size before that happens.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Saw one of these in Italy a couple days ago. Thought it was pretty cool.

Name:  56E9C98C-9908-45A2-B76D-FBE9D90199EE.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  88.1 KB
DZ Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ Fab View Post
Saw one of these in Italy a couple days ago. Thought it was pretty cool.

Attachment 2930282
Reminds me of the hamster mobile, Kia Soul.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Roo skin seat covers

Member # 342298
Smile Actually ok for intended purpose

We've got them here.

I reviewed quite a few reviews, here's a decently in-depth review.

He's a motoring journo, so take it for what it is. There are a few cringey comments, but over all pretty good if you're after more info about them, and their abillities/disabillities.

Offroading starts at 31.50

Pause it at 41.23 --- water up near intake

I like the little bugger.

Score for an off the showroom totally stock explorer: 3 nuts out of 3 nuts
Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 15708
Send a message via Yahoo to GA_ZUKI
the easiest way is adding all of our safety restrictions and it will have no problems!!

so back in the day, I found a way around all of this but it takes a long time and could cost a lot.

you can get one here for about 2 years and then the vehicle 'visa" expires and it must leave the country. The reason is, it will never pass our safety restrictions.

here is the workaround.

have it shipped in pieces, you can add all of them to an old frame. You can not ship all of it at once and in the same container. As customs might actually figure it out.
GA_ZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in