Tcase locked in low - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
Tcase locked in low

I have been thinking about tcase upgrades for my zuk. Currently running a stock kick case. The plan was to swap in a geared sami case.

After looking at some of the doubler kits, it got me thinking.

The 6.5 sami case is geared 1.7 on the top side. If I were to do a kick/kick or kick/yota doubler, what would be an issue with locking the front case in low range?

I feel like it would add some simplicity, and basically give the same gearing as a sami case.

I can see the advantage of having the options if you add deeper gears in the rear case, also.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 71584
Do you currently drive around exclusively in low range? Because that's going to be the effect. If your car is exclusively driven off road and high range is currently redundant then sure, leave the front case locked in low and just shift the rear case.

for the sake of a lever (that's the only complexity involved) I can't see why you wouldn't want the option to split your gearing.

If you have stock gearing in both cases the effect won't be like running a Samurai case. The splits will be near enough 1:1 2:1/4:1. If your use and axle gearing/tyre size makes high range redundant, then you need to consider your current low range as your "high" gearing, so your doubler isn't a doubler at all - you're getting 2:1 "high" range and 4:1 "low range" - low being twice as low as high.

A Samurai case with 6.5's in it means the rest of the car is geared for the 1.7 high range, so lets treat that as 1:1. low range is then 3.8 times lower.

I know this seems hard to follow, but the key is always how big the split is between high and low. If you're locking one case in low, I have to assume that means that's the tallest gearing you can tolerate for your use, so that becomes "high" and your low will only be 2:1 on top of that.

If you intend to run reduction gears in the rear case, that's a different story- you'll have a similar gearing outcome to running a samurai case with 6.5's, but with more work/weight/complexity all up. Most people who go to the effort of a doubler do so to have more splits than a single case can provide.
Gwagensteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in