Project BMP Build up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Project BMP Build up

You can read about the design in this thread. Now it's time to see if I can take it from computer to crawler. Since I am tired from working all weekend on this thing I am cutting and pasting from my webpage.

Friday night I went over to Mark Mason's house to use his plasma cutter. I torched all the brackets and spring perches off my rear axle housing, cut the ears off a front housing for use in a new beefed up housing and then cut some new motor mount plates. I was going to re-use my Petroworks motor mounts but I discovered their welds had failed on the passenger side mount due to zero penetration. You can check out the pics of that on my site. Anyway I am making my own, simple and beefy.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Azrckcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Saturday started out great, overcast skies and slight breeze. I headed over to Pat's to borrow his trailer, from there we picked up a rock buggy kit (some assembly required).
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Our club did a group buy on tubing to try and save some money. I was pretty amazed to find the 1 5/8" x .120 wall DOM was almost half the price of the 1 3/4 x .120 wall DOM tubing. I saved about $200 on the tubing so I went looking for a drill press in the afternoon. As luck would have it, Harbor Freight had a nice drill press on sale for $184, normally $279. I had to drive to another store to get their last one. From there I headed down to work to pick up my bending dies. Next stop was Jay's house out in Gilbert. he was going to let me borrow his JD2 bender which is equipped with a custom hydraulic setup designed by Jay. It'll do roughly 110 degrees in one shot. From Jay's house I headed over to Jacks house to talk him into helping me unload the bender and drill press. By the time I got Jack back to his house and dropped Pat's trailer off It was around 7pm. I took a breather before heading out to setup the drill press.

The first order of business on Sunday morning was to finish tearing down my front axle. That took another 3 hours (I made a big oily mess). After that was done I started making room in the garage to work. I must say the hydraulic bender was a dream to use, you can roll it wherever it's convenient even in the middle of bending a tube. I used these positioning clamps I picked up from Trick-Tools.com to hold my frame in position. Sometime around 3pm Jack and Mark Hild showed up looking for work, so I got them going on assembling my dual transfer cases. I am sure glad they came over because within an hour the garage was covered with t-case parts as if they had exploded. I am not sure I would have figured it all out by myself. Here's a picture of phase one complete except for the motor mounts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Azrckcrawler; 08-15-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3550
By the time the guys left I had dual/twin-sticked t-case waiting for a home. So far all of my trans adapter parts are late, hoping they come in this week. The pressure plate is due on the 20th, Checker dropped the ball bigtime on that, glad I ordered it two weeks ahead of when I needed it. I'll work on the motor mounts during the week and most likely start on the subframe after that if I don't see some adapter for the transmission.
Attached Images

Last edited by Azrckcrawler; 08-15-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14812
Looks to be off to a good start Chris. I'll be following along as I'm thinking more and more on doing the tube thing. A couple of us here did some more sheetmetal damage this weekend, but had fun.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16978
some more!!!! I think the only thing i left with that wasn't crunched was the doors I left at camp!!!!!
zukzilla4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 06:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 8111
Chris, the RingR should be there today, the T/B was backordered got it in late Thursday. I should have called you to let you know the hang up and didnt I apologize.

Last edited by Rockrat; 08-16-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Rockrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 16289
Alright Chris! Now this is what I need for daily drooling. Hopefully you will be slaving late every night to upload new progress pics each morning, right? Seriously, I'm looking forward to following the build.
terrymac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrckcrawler
I was going to re-use my Petroworks motor mounts but I discovered their welds had failed on the passenger side mount due to zero penetration. You can check out the pics of that on my site. Anyway I am making my own, simple and beefy.
Too bad about that - I want to make a set of captured engine mounts, using RUBBER bushings. I have the Dodge engine mount on the drivers side (it finally split, after a year of abuse), and want to switch to something else.

As for the pilot bearing listed - I didn't know a sidekick pilot bearing worked on the toyota transmission. I've got the funky special order bearing in mine, Fatkid simply had the flywheel machined for a toyota bearing; Is this a recent discovery?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis
Too bad about that - I want to make a set of captured engine mounts, using RUBBER bushings. I have the Dodge engine mount on the drivers side (it finally split, after a year of abuse), and want to switch to something else.

As for the pilot bearing listed - I didn't know a sidekick pilot bearing worked on the toyota transmission. I've got the funky special order bearing in mine, Fatkid simply had the flywheel machined for a toyota bearing; Is this a recent discovery?
The pilot bearing is the special one only now I can get them in sealed instead of open. The T/B is aftermarket Napa that is machined to fit fit the toy input shaft. The Clutch disk is the older style corola that we machine to proper diameter.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Make sure you use rubber in your motor mounts! Or you will have a buggy that makes your hands numb. Unless you have a VERY good running 4 banger. V6 or V8 can get away with polly or rigid mounts.

Dallas used the polly on Bugzuki and it has a bit of a vibration that rattles me wrong, and that is with a very smooth running low miles motor.

-Wayne

rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotozuk
Make sure you use rubber in your motor mounts! Or you will have a buggy that makes your hands numb. Unless you have a VERY good running 4 banger. V6 or V8 can get away with polly or rigid mounts.

Dallas used the polly on Bugzuki and it has a bit of a vibration that rattles me wrong, and that is with a very smooth running low miles motor.

-Wayne
Show me a rubber mount I can't break and I would consider it. After countless stock mounts, two Petroworks full circle mounts and one of their brackets I am ready to go truly bomb proof. I rode in JackA's rig a week ago, couldn't tell he had poly mounts in there. Brian also did the same on his black zuk and had no complaints.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13446
Glad the build is starting Chris , the computer stuff was simply amazing!! Looking forward to seeing the build-up, hope it turns out better than you're expecting!!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis
I ordered all the parts from Rockrat including the modified bearing and clutch disk. It'll save me time not having to hunt all the parts down then modify them.

Old 08-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrckcrawler
Show me a rubber mount I can't break and I would consider it. After countless stock mounts, two Petroworks full circle mounts and one of their brackets I am ready to go truly bomb proof. I rode in JackA's rig a week ago, couldn't tell he had poly mounts in there. Brian also did the same on his black zuk and had no complaints.

Instead of a polly bushing for suspension, use a rubber bushing for suspension. I don't care if they are Jeep TJ arm bushings...

I was looking at the Jeep TJ frame in Moab and noticed the TJ has a nice looking captured rubber mount. No idea on cost though. I recall it was a little on the large side.

sidekicks have some nice rubber mounts in the rear suspension also. If you have someone parting one out near you you might check on them. Usually no one wants them. Infact I might use the Toyota units from the 4Runner axle I picked up.

I'm not that good with names, wasn't Brian's the V8 zuk? A 4 banger produces more vibration then a 6 or 8. I was going to mount my rotary in polly since they are so smooth, but when I switched back tot he 4 banger I located rubber mounts.

As I mentioned I picked up 4 of the stipped mounts from Petro as I liked the solid rubber construction. I had already looked for them at my local parts places and was not able to track anything down for a fair price. I then made my own mounts and they held up just fine. Since you have been tearing them, I agree time for a better idea, but polly may not be it.

Dallas does not mind the vibration in the Bugzuki, but on my short drive I found it very annoying on the passenger side. The floor pan actually set up a harmonic that buzzed my feet. Then again, I'm one of those people that hates the chalk board fingernail thing...

-Wayne

Old 08-16-2004, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 15689
the poly mounts will loosen up a bit in time. i hated them in my honda when i got them back in '97 but after a few hard months they became managable. i still have the same mounts to this day and they still look brand new and you can barely tell a slight vibration over a stockish rubber mount.
bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2004, 07:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotozuk
Instead of a polly bushing for suspension, use a rubber bushing for suspension. I don't care if they are Jeep TJ arm bushings...

I'm not that good with names, wasn't Brian's the V8 zuk? A 4 banger produces more vibration then a 6 or 8. I was going to mount my rotary in polly since they are so smooth, but when I switched back tot he 4 banger I located rubber mounts.

-Wayne
Brian's had a 1.3. After discovering the fan had gotten into my 3 core radiator i think I would rather have the old style mounts than the full circle mounts. At least with the old style the motor didn't rotate forward when the mount broke if you did the chain trick. I guess sometimes simple is better.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8111
Take a look at 1976 dodge pickup D200/318 motor NAPA # 602-1170 $3.95 pc. pretty stout rubber mount. also to add about are conversation on the trans mount, after pulling the motor ou of mine I noticed I did tear the brand new t-case mount to hell, so I will be capturing both mounts.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 20796
Nice progress! Can't believe how quick you can start to get things done. This should be a fun build up to watch.

Koko
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 908
I can see the captured motor mounts on a zuk letting the engine tilt forward.

The local NAPA is a bunch of idiots (you'd think in a area with 2.5M+ people, you'd get a decent NAPA..)

I picked up a 318 motor mount from local Autozone (why go to NAPA to get insulted, it's more fun to watch the eyes pop out of skulls from the clueless) - it does not have the interlock tabs, and it did lower the engine some.

I also have dual t-case mounts, so I believe that helps some too.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 3550
I gotta say these clamps I got from Trick-Tools kick ass. turns you into a four handed fabricator
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2004, 09:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Adapter parts. Going to install these once the motor is in the frame.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2004, 09:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 3550
Spent the last few nights making brackets and a few tubes. Today at lunch I am going to fab up the winch mounting tube (have to make some sleeves, punch some holes in the tube), get that installed in the frame tonight and then in goes the motor.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Wow, looks ahead of schedule. For Arizona that is some pretty cruddy looking tubing... Oh yeah, you just had the wet season.

-Wayne

Old 08-19-2004, 12:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 16333
Send a message via AIM to RedNeckRea Send a message via MSN to RedNeckRea
so what's the goal for completion (too lazy to search through other thread)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in