Another zuk gettin trashed? - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #126 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
In some respects you're right. We didn't start out with a plan for this one, simply a list of goals and a few ideas. As for your thoughts on the looks, eh if you dont like it, thats fine, though its FAR from finished. Not sure what you mean about the nerfs, the seats fit all the way against the rear of the nerf hoop, and the angle and placement of the B pillar was very deliberate. Its matched to the angle of the seat and runs right along the side of it. Keeps it out of your way when you're sitting, but offers some good side impact protection. In case you didn't catch it, the pics with the BABY Mastercrafts was a joke. They just happened to be sitting around the shop from another project. As for the A pillar, yeah we coulda bent it up like the B, but we started at the bottom and worked up, thats just how it happened, and I hardly think strength will be an issue with the way they tie together and all the other support that will go in. I appreciate your input, but really unless you have some suggestions on something in particular, save it until we have more than 5 tubes bent, its still a little early to start trash talking. We may just change your mind yet

Dallas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008

Last edited by StinkBug; 01-21-2005 at 01:26 AM.
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 01:27 AM   #127 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Oh and for the record, I take no responsibility for the things that Wayne chooses to fawk up on his own rig. I'll just take credit for the good parts

Dallas

Your Source for: CNC Cutting & Engraving, Cages, Custom Suspension, Complete Vehicle Builds, and more!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Ahh yeah. Thanks for the comments,

The reason the nerf tube extends back past the B-pillar is becuase the floor level is below the nerf line. To make room for the seat either the nerf line does not cross in the back, or it has to extend further back to make room for the seat. We decided to cross the nerf as we plan to connect many elements to the nerf line.

I had planned to build the chassis in a different manner. After much conversation it was decided this would be the better plan, and I like how it is going together.

You are correct on the A-pillar, if I was to do it again, it would be one main hoop with a cross tube added in. It may not look like it, but that wind screen area does have some complex bends in it.

For the record, I am very happy with this project, just wish it was going together faster. It has been hard to get over to the shop to put in the time. Should be there again tonight, and the rest of the weekend.

Also please keep in mind that this is my first buggy, and first full chassis. While I have looked at other vehicles for design elements, we are not copying anyone elses work. Often times my plans backfire and I end up with wasted time. (Like the link bracket I made last Sunday.)

Build it the way you want to. After all, if you don't enjoy the process, then you are probably doing things wrong.

-Wayne

rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 33080
How can it be too early to start the dislikes, when some of the main lines of the chassi have already been made out?! If you are already telling yourself you would have done some things different, why not take off, and redo while you still very much can? I understand that things don't come out perfectly when it's your first time building a chassi, but you still know what looks good and what doesn't. Should have taken the Nerple's advice and drawn it out before you started throwing tube at the power/drivetrain. Just my .02, and last I heard it was ok to give on this board.
rubiconwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
This thing is about as slow as my build up
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Bill - When you going to stop by the shop? We are just around the corner from you. Come on down and I'll see about putting you to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconwheeler
How can it be too early to start the dislikes, when some of the main lines of the chassi have already been made out?! If you are already telling yourself you would have done some things different, why not take off, and redo while you still very much can? I understand that things don't come out perfectly when it's your first time building a chassi, but you still know what looks good and what doesn't. Should have taken the Nerple's advice and drawn it out before you started throwing tube at the power/drivetrain. Just my .02, and last I heard it was ok to give on this board.

OK, who am I talking to anyhow? Do I know you?

I do not feel that I have any mistakes in this build. Mistakes have been made, and they have been replaced or modified as needed. I do not consider the A-pillar a mistake, I simply would build it differently next time around. No big deal. Maybe I'm just doing things a bit differently then you are used to.

As for Nerple, he has given me some very good advise, and I have tried to follow as much of it as I can. Yes, I did not build from chromo and I know there are things he may not like, but this is not a single seat comp rig pretending to be a recreational vehicle. This will be a fully registered vehicle, not green stickered cop bait.

As for my attempts to draw it out, they sucked. That just is not one of my strengths, and I would have missed all kinds of space limitations. Even fully drawn out CAD rigs have had surprises when actually getting built. Go figure. I'm amazed at the folks that can do that, but I'm just not one of them.

I think Rusty's (geargoyle) new rig is about the most amazing looking pile of tube around, and guess what, he only has a basic pencil sketch and a few web photos of things he liked. His skills are just amazing! Everytime I visit his project we discuss options for building the next few items. That is DAMN fun to me, and that is what I'm doing. Rusty has been planning that rig in his head for years, and he has some amazing visualization skills backed by amazing fab skills that you all would kill to have, let alone the space and tools to build with.

To sum this up, I see you bitching, but I do not understand what you are bitching about. OK, you don't like the A-pillar. Good input. But the joint is not unsafe, or even visible on the finished rig. I'm not going to replace it as I only have about 2 months to get this sucker up and running so I can lead some trails in Moab. (I hope!)

-Wayne

Old 01-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 20731
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotozuk
I only have about 2 months to get this sucker up and running so I can lead some trails in Moab. (I hope!)

-Wayne
56 Days 'til Moab, but who's counting? I AM!!!

Picked up my brand-spankin'-new trailer today! No more flat-towing for me!

'87 Coiled Sammy
Bullet Boys, Southern Chapter
Los Angeles, CA
"A man widely considered as half a bubble off-plumb gets out of much tedious explaination."
Cap'n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Quote:
Bill - When you going to stop by the shop? We are just around the corner from you. Come on down and I'll see about putting you to work.
-Wayne

I want to, But I doubt I'll be of any good to you. I'm always doped up on pain killers. The good news is I should be off pills soon.... I hope

But I do want to stop by just to shoot the wind and see what's up. You need to tell me when you'll be there next time k?
Old 01-22-2005, 01:28 AM   #134 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
We'll be in the shop all weekend Bill. Wayne came down today and we got some work done tonight. He's stayin down here for the next couple nights so we should get some work done this weekend. I think there will be a run up to Petroworks tomorrow morning, but otherwise we should be there all day and most of the nights. If you want just gimmie a call.

Dallas

Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 8174
What about next week some time. I'm working nights for the next couple of days.

<<<<<look at the time
Old 01-22-2005, 04:52 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 12060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4rest
This thing is about as slow as my build up

NO, nothing is THAT slow
NC Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Zuk
NO, nothing is THAT slow

Come awn!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 24053
please return my speed limit sign please
Twisted Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 22456
Ron's got himself a trailer now. The best way to go.

Wayne, it looks like the idea of coils took there toll now. How do you plan on keeping your truck street registered?
SJ410Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2005, 01:54 AM   #140 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Very carefully

Dallas

Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Back home after a few days of working on the project. Very pleased with the progress. The main links are all in, just need the panhards now. Damn that was a lot of bracket fabbing this weekend. Finally got smart and mocked up all of the tabs in card board and then traced them onto a plate of 3/16 and took it over to Petro for some quick plasma cutting. That made life a lot easier. She looks a lot better with the links in place, too bad I only have 3 links tacked together so far...

Hope to get down to the shop several times this week to keep the progress going.

-Wayne

Old 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 5918
borrowed from another thread.

Quote:
I will not be rigless for much longer.

-Wayne
Pics!? let's see some proof!

I re-read your old build up. How did you like that slosh seal that you used? Are you going to use it again? I'm contemplating a custom cell because of space requirements (then again I may just "make" a little more room).
Old 01-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb
borrowed from another thread.

Pics!? let's see some proof!

I re-read your old build up. How did you like that slosh seal that you used? Are you going to use it again? I'm contemplating a custom cell because of space requirements (then again I may just "make" a little more room).

Dave, I have already done one of those 2+ year build ups.. Thats enough for me. (I hope!!) Looking forward to seeing yours hit some trails too!

The slosh seal was great! Tusker on the board here now has the tank and just got his rig back up an running with it installed. I think he said it allowed him to move his rear axle backward 4 inches..?

Here is a link to one source for some slosh seal. I think they also sell some other brands. Try to get the one that is for auto gas.

I'd use the stuff again, worked great as far as I can tell. Then again I made sure the tank had no leaks before using it.

----------

As for progress, added a couple of tubes to the chassis tub and built up the links using the 1.5" x .250 DOM. After reading some other threads I decided to pass on the 1.75 x .120 sleeve material. We will see how well it holds up. I suspect they will be good far at least a year of abuse. Hope to get up there again tonight, but may not be able to.

-Wayne

Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 AM   #144 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Heres a couple quick pics of Waynes progress from this last weekend. Got all the links built, suspension link mounts done except for some cleanup and built the new tranny mount. Wayne has been workin hard on his rig lately, he might just make his goal of wheelin at EJS if he keeps it up.

Dallas

Old 02-01-2005, 09:05 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 18085
Send a message via AIM to CTBrent

This is interesting. Nice idea.
CTBrent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrent

This is interesting. Nice idea.

I recycled the plate from the last build up. Here is what it used to look like:

Currently chasing down some steering parts. The Scout II steering box I used last time just will not fit this chassis. So I have my eye on a Chevy truck steering box. they are available in either inside the frame or outside the frame mounting and have a a rear facing pitman and a very short sector shaft.. Very short. I think this will work well. I'm staying with the saginaw steering boxes as they really have a good amount of grunt, and should allow me to avoid the need of ram assist. As for weight, they are probably about the same as a full hydro system, and should be lighter then a ram assist. (Wild guesses mind you.)

-Wayne

Old 02-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 8965
How about some new pics?

Engine hoist is holding the Chevy steering box in about the final location.

Still waiting for my new mid-steer arms for some of the final layout of the front end. The radiator will sit just a hair over the tierod & drag links. It also sets the steering box height.

Fitting the air shocks was a bit of a challenge, but I think I will be OK with this layout. I wanted to keep them out as far as possible, and as straight as possible. As you can see you really can not get the bottom of the shock out any further.

The top of the shock is very close to the engine though. I might need to make some more clearance here. But I think it will be OK.

-Wayne

Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Passenger side is about the same, but with the now finished link tower and panhard in the way also. I think the shock body will clear the tower before the angle gets so steep as to make contact with the tower.

A little closer look at the link tower.

Sorry about the crappy pictures, these are from my poor ol' camera.

P.S. - Did I mention my lower back is giving me lots of extra fun? Makes working of certain things a bit more fun.. Like lifting that steering box up off the floor. working on the vehicle seems to help with the pain.. Go figure.

-Wayne

Old 02-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 2816
So how ya gunna attach that big ol' boat anchor (AKA P.S. Box). Screw it bud, go full hydro! Ya gunna add balast to the other side to compensate? It appears as though the driver's side might be a bit heavy!
TheNerple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNerple
So how ya gunna attach that big ol' boat anchor (AKA P.S. Box). Screw it bud, go full hydro! Ya gunna add balast to the other side to compensate? It appears as though the driver's side might be a bit heavy!
I was thinking I could duct tape the engine hoist to the A pillar. We have a plan of attack on that, just waitong for the stering arms so I can confirm tube clearances. I also have the winch that sits right there next to the steering box, so it will have some strength up there..

The boat anchor (Saginaw) probably weighs about the same as a full hydro set up weighs. (Hmm, the last Saginaw was known as the battleship...) Yes, I'm concerned about all of the weight on the drivers side. The steering box weight doesn't scare me, but the addition of the fuel tank on the driver's side does. I guess all of the tools, battery, rear winch and spares will have to be on the passenger side as much as possible. Rusty did a little quick math when he visited and thought the space I have for the fuel tank would net something like 12 gallons.. (I think) So I'll probably have an aux tank further back in the chassis to bring me up to the 20 gallons I would like to carry.

-Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in