YJ spua 33", build thread - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 89104
Thats no good with the gears. I hope shimming the input helps and the problems go away.

Through the years it seems gear sets have been hit or miss. You either get a good gear set that last forever, oor you get one that gives you troubles until it is swapped out. I don't know why there is such a difference between gearsets even from the same vendor.

I am going to be working on getting the springs to move on their own this week. I am also going to be working on getting the passenger rear to sit level.

I may end up moving my spare tire mount to the opposite side to see if it helps. With the fuel tank, battery and tire all on one side, I am wondering if that is a big contributing factor in the lean.

With all the rigs I have wheeled and modified I have never had such a difficult time getting spring rates to where I am happy.

Does anyone have input or solutions for the passenger rear sag, this is my second set of springs doing the same thing.

By the way ShuDuck,
I was worried when I saw you cut up the rear deck. i thought you were going to be loosing sheet metal or tubing it. I was really surprised how well that rear deck turned out Yu did a damned good job with that rear deck. Looks
skyman6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 89104
double post

Last edited by skyman6529; 06-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 30288
Inspected the gears thoroughly, and I see nothing wrong, no polishing, cracks..

Name:  SAM_1050 (Medium).JPG
Views: 7426
Size:  75.8 KB
Im glad there is warranty on these

in right hand drive countries a driver side lean is very common. tank, spare tire, battery and driver make them lean. So it might be a good idea to even the load out.

thanks man, no tubing in this except the inner/exo cage I have planned

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ShuDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #54 (permalink)
OFT

Member # 67594
I too enjoy your build keeping it "stock" looking. Keep up the good work.

Earl
OFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 68367
Looking great ShuDuck!!!

I've always had a lean to my Samurai too, especially when I look at it from the rear, with the YJ's. It's level when I sit it in (I think), but all things are on the passenger side (t-case outputs & driveshafts, battery, gas tank, spare tire).

I think we NEED more info on the SKY (low 1/2 high steer), with the arm that has the taper drilled from below. Like how much lift it's perfect for (3" or more lift still necessary, or????)

BTW, I like the raised deck and the upper shock mounts in the rear as well as the flat belly and tucked up rear frame brackets.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 30288
thanks OFT and WALES! I had the first real trip/test this weekend and it performed perfect We had two zuks, not able to move by the start of the week, as soon as they where drivable we took off to the yearly Suzuki meet. The club celebrates its 25th year this year

Only problem was a tiny oil leak in the rear axle vent on the tin top. My GFs 84 410 had an vacuum leak at the brake booster and no charging. But we plugged the brake booster and charged the battery, no issues other than that.

group pic, missing three cars. GFs stock 410 to the far left

Name:  post-a35903-IMG-5897crop.jpg
Views: 5626
Size:  42.4 KB

It is sitting level now and a bit lower It also have NO wibes. first real test of the lifted transfer and lengthened drive shafts as well . tires are balanced with 300g pellets(whatever they are called) and is great on road when they warm up. It corners great, got more power to spare with the 33" than I expected, so overall I'm very happy

Name:  DSCF1046r.jpg
Views: 7143
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  DSCF1073r.jpg
Views: 5658
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  post-a35898-IMG-5893r.jpg
Views: 6148
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  post-a35913-DSC02867r.jpg
Views: 6379
Size:  115.1 KB

Last edited by ShuDuck; 06-22-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 30288
oh, and the t-case gear whine is gone. well, not gone, but down to an expected and acceptable level.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 89104
That's awesome..killer group of Samurai's too. 33's spring under and working well that's sweet. I bet you are pretty comfortable on side hills that would make me pucker lol.

I know I am going to end up re-working my YJ's I am still really leaning toward this type of build. Awesome work, I am glad it runs and drives well for you.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 106586
those 33's fit in the wheel wells like a GLOVE! nice build Shu.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 30288
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman6529 View Post
That's awesome..killer group of Samurai's too. 33's spring under and working well that's sweet. I bet you are pretty comfortable on side hills that would make me pucker lol.

I know I am going to end up re-working my YJ's I am still really leaning toward this type of build. Awesome work, I am glad it runs and drives well for you.
yes you should! I love side hills

thanks baratacus

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 89104
I'm curious about how much uptravel you have. it;s one of my only worries about going Spring under. Do you have more than 2" of uptravel? with my weight I need a minimum of 3 inches I would think, I would prefer 3-5" of uptravel but I don't even have that much now.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 68367
Quote:
I'm curious about how much uptravel you have. it;s one of my only worries about going Spring under. Do you have more than 2" of uptravel? with my weight I need a minimum of 3 inches I would think, I would prefer 3-5" of uptravel but I don't even have that much now.
Grab some S-10 rear springs and pull a leaf and cut it down and put it in your YJ pack when you go SPUA and you will probably get about 1.5" of lift, then you can have the up travel you want. I have 4 inches of up travel on my rig, and it's SPUA with stock YJ's.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 89104
Do you have any pictures of how your samurai sits? It would be nice to see how the tires sit on a rig built like this.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 30288
I would like to see it as well. I can post pics if you send them to me wales

only got 1" up travel in the front before contact with bump stops. they compress another 0.5". But in the rear I got 4", and that's 2.5" average
My bump stops are in boarded so they need to be a bit longer than on a samurai. I think you can get the up travel that you want with less sheet metal in the front. cant remove any more in the height, had to shorten the + pole on the battery as it came in contact with the hood

For me it works great, I don't jump it or want to, but high speed over rough surfaces is a breeze. Today I took a drive on the rail road (abandoned), smooth and handles it well. with low air pressure off course.
had similar up travel with the old setup and never experienced the need for more. The old setup was 0.5" lift with stock YJs and 31"

Old 06-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 68367
Quote:
Do you have any pictures of how your samurai sits? It would be nice to see how the tires sit on a rig built like this.
Ooops. I think I mislead you guys, I actually just have stock YJ's, no S-10 spring in the packs. I'm waiting to see what Nitrolegend (the Zu) does with his setup to see if I want to try the S-10 springs to get another 1.5" of lift up front.

Here's a pic (you guys will recognize me as HardLuk on other forums)

Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 68367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuDuck View Post
I would like to see it as well. I can post pics if you send them to me wales
Shu -- I posted a profile shot of my shock setup. It's right at about 4 inches of compression, and the shock (at this point) is the bump stop. I do have stock bump stops on there, but they squish down while the shock is fully collapsed, and would probably squish a little more, but I run out of shock.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 30288
oh, its you, off course. I would have known how it looks like if you had the same screen name here

Last edited by ShuDuck; 06-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #68 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 140900
good to see some other SPUA rigs running 33s!

I really like what you've done with the the floor in the back, that's a neat way to get your tank up out of harms way and not loose much storage space!

Last edited by ScottieJ; 01-05-2011 at 01:38 PM.
ScottieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 68367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuDuck View Post
oh, its you, off course. I would have known how it looks like if you had the same screen name here

Yes, I think I registered here, but didn't like the rudeness of this site. Seems better now. Think WALES was not available on other Samurai forums.

Do you have/need a traction bar on your rig, or is it fine with the 33's and being SPUA?

Also, in the pic of the rear tire compressing (think 1st pic) what is the tire pressure? Wondering how the 33's do aired down under the rig's weight.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 89104
I went back and looked how high did you lift the rear deck, and is there any body mounts in that area, if so what did you end up doing to get it to work.

I also see your shock mounts Wales, I am wondering if you have shorter shocks than most use with the YJ kit, or your mounts are higher, leaned etc. I am pretty close tothat up front, but not quite.

I'm still staring at my zook over and over and thinking of virtual lift and going Spring under. I just need a clear plan of action before I take the plunge. Cutting up a stock rust free tub is scary for me. Ive only got one, and I really like the way Samurai's look unique. I would build a tube buggy with samurai drive train before I would tube out front clip, and dove tail the rear.

The more i look at the trail i want to take this year, the more I am wanting a much lower COG. Some of the trails we take are so steep for so long they are one way only. Down.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 68367
Quote:

I also see your shock mounts Wales, I am wondering if you have shorter shocks than most use with the YJ kit, or your mounts are higher, leaned etc. I am pretty close tothat up front, but not quite.

I'm still staring at my zook over and over and thinking of virtual lift and going Spring under. I just need a clear plan of action before I take the plunge. Cutting up a stock rust free tub is scary for me. Ive only got one, and I really like the way Samurai's look unique. I would build a tube buggy with samurai drive train before I would tube out front clip, and dove tail the rear.

The more i look at the trail i want to take this year, the more I am wanting a much lower COG. Some of the trails we take are so steep for so long they are one way only. Down.

I don't know if they are as long as what Brent would suggest/supply with a Trail Tough YJ kit, but here's another shot, at the shock body.

I was able to use my same shocks for years, even going back to SPUA. Had them All the way from being SPOA with a Calmini S/R lift, to a TT YJ setup, to now. I think they are like 17.xx compressed and about 30.xx extended. They are about 12.xx something in travel, but I remember making sure they were at least that, so the numbers may be off, and they may have more travel.

Here's a pic:

As far as "taking the Plunge", I think it would be fun to convert. I am not that good with sheet metal, not anything like you see Shuduck do, but I think I could do a Virtual Lift, myself, but like you Skyman, I don't want to hack up my Samurai. It would have to be done well, with full inner fenders. No open inner fenders showing the engine like the tube front clips usually do.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #72 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 140900
It's really easy to do a virtual lift and modify the inner fenders to give you loads of room for larger tyres, I wont hijack this thread with pics of my rig but here's a link to my brief build thread on here https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=898004
The way I have done it also means the the front clip is still fully removable and looks fairly stock at a glance.

ScottieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 30288
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALES View Post

Do you have/need a traction bar on your rig, or is it fine with the 33's and being SPUA?

Also, in the pic of the rear tire compressing (think 1st pic) what is the tire pressure? Wondering how the 33's do aired down under the rig's weight.

not really a need, but I do get some wrap if it bounce, this is expected tough. Dented the rear shocks but they survive with some miner ones. It is really tight in the back so could not move them away from the axle to have clearance for a little wrap. the axle armor/stiffening adds a long arm to move under wrap
Name:  DSCF1030r.jpg
Views: 7051
Size:  92.0 KB

tire pressure is just over 0 . tough and stiff sidewalls on the ltb. Ran this on the 31x11.5 as well and never lost a tire

Quote:
I went back and looked how high did you lift the rear deck, and is there any body mounts in that area, if so what did you end up doing to get it to work.
no body mounts, but the body rest on the frame at two spots. No problem to leave them

Hijacking is all good as long as it is tech

it is pretty easy to do a virtual lift, just a lot of tacks and time. use seam sealer to seal them

Last edited by ShuDuck; 07-03-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 89104
I'm pretty sure, but are you still running stock Samurai axles? If so they seem to survive pretty well for you what;s the secret?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 30288
stock samurai axles, only broken a few CV`s with narrow axles luckily. The samurai axles are hard to get and expensive. Will upgrade them later

the secret is to drive with your head.. Some people beat their way trough, and some pick their lines and place each wheel carefully

Last edited by ShuDuck; 07-05-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in