Head porting with a New 272 Cam - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Suzuki
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89104
Head porting with a New 272 Cam

OK so I have a freshly rebuilt 1.6 8v. I jsut picked up a Cam from Zack at Zukiengines.com (thanks Zack!).

I am going to port the 1.6 8v when I have the head pulled to install the 272, it's not a regrind but a new cam.

Does anyone have any tips or pointers for porting the 1.6 head when adding a cam? I know there is supposed to be improvement found in porting the exhaust side, is there anything specific to look out for or cuts not to make?

How about the intake side? Is it a matter of just keeping the radius symmetrical, or should the entire port be enlarged.

Last the TBI intake, is there any gains to be had here by doing more than just clean up of the casting, and simple port matching.

I am open to any and all advice, and I welcome any comments and suggestions I can get. If the knowledge something a guy doesn't want out on the internet, I'd welcome a PM and keep it to myself.

Thanks up front for any tips and advice, sure appreciate your time.

--Sky
skyman6529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
turd-polish-a-go-go

Member # 49404
All of the info can be found in the cylinder head thread. I wrote it for you, man- you just need to find it.

edit-
here's your fish. eat for a day.

Last edited by LittleBlackSambo; 03-11-2011 at 02:42 AM.
LittleBlackSambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 89104
Thanks LBS, I've read your thread a couple of times, some great info in there. Is there anything else that wasn't covered, as far as porting goes?

You didn't get to finish your engine build because of the move to Germany, right?
Bummer man I feel for you not being able to get your Zook fix I was looking forward to seeing a SC on that thing

Is there anything else you didn't mention in your post , that I should look out for, and did you have any trouble removing those brass nozzles in the intake side?

site backups kept me from reading the entire thread again last night, I'm back too it now.

Thanks for all the time you took to post your findings, I sure appreciate it.

--Sky
Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 121896
Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris does not know where you live but he does know where you will DIE! Like this old adage, there is a sage in Gardnerville,NV who Knows the answer. He Knows everything head related. Owner of his own flow bench and master of all that is intake related. Seek him and you will find performance. His name is Ron Siple, his business is listed as Ron Siple Race Inc. I promise you he knows nothing of zuk parts, However he actually has proof of producing the High Output head for the 4.0 head for Jeep and he also has the distinct Honor of producing the most rear wheel horse power of any street legal vehicle Mallory ever tested in Carson City,NV. 510 rear wheel HP!

Last edited by Mark C.; 03-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Mark C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67110
Don't have too much helpful to add, but I removed my air injector nozzles by copying the description in Little Black Sambo's clinder head thread. It was pretty straightforward, and easier than I expected

no before pics, but the brass is easy to see

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D Boz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 89104
Thanks i really appreciate the pictures. Did you get this installed yet, if so how did it do for ya?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67110
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman6529 View Post
Thanks i really appreciate the pictures. Did you get this installed yet, if so how did it do for ya?

Been running it for almost a year, so far, so good. When I drilled them out, I also shaved the head .012" (using LBS's numbers should bump compression to 9.2:1 or so), gasket matched, and roughly took out the casting lines, and most importantly fixed the head gasket and cleaned all the carbon deposits out of the head. That's too many variables for me to really say anything specific about removing the 'inductor nozzles' (I know that's not what I previously called them, I am learning), but for the cost and effort it took, I would say it is well worth it. Here is a little bit better close up of the combustion chamber

I looked around a little on http://zukiengines.com and couldn't find anything on cams. What are the specs and what does the manufacture recommend for this cam? Compression, timing, stock or modified head, etc?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by D Boz; 05-21-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: goofed up the CR
D Boz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 89104
I haven't asked Zack about the recommendations for compression valve lash, and timing yet. I put a link in down below to the cam selcetion page. They are filed under 1.3 samurai - Samurai head - camshafts. It is kind of nice he offers more than just just two, and he has new cams or regrind depending on your preference.

ZukiEngines 1.3-1.6 cam clicky.

I don't hear a lot of feedback on cams, and I really wanted to give a fair review/impression of how or what a cam will do for a pretty much stock 1.6. I went with a new 272. My thinking is that the 1.6 i8v has some grunt down low, so i would like to accentuate the upper end (which it doesn't have much of now). I hope I made the right choice, because I don't have a clue. I did post some pics below..I love the look of freshly machined new parts

I'll post the specs and info I get from Zack as soon as I call him, or he gets back to another post.

Thanks for those pictures, it really helps. So... the holes for the inductor nozzles is just a straight drill in, tap out and JB weld in? That was the only thing that kind of had me kind of wondering. Looks like you did some chamber work too, anything special or just taking out the potential hot spots?

FWIW
I just got a reply in another thread Fastspec had said removing the nozzles is worth 2% on a superflow. So it does make a measurable difference.

Thanks again for the pics, a visual really does help a ton, and I appreciate your time. I will try and document the work I do too, and add it to the thread as well.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 89104
As promised Here's the specs for the cam

Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 89104
DBLE post , sorry

Last edited by skyman6529; 04-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 875366
sure like to see it.....and other links and pics too..... still working on my sammi 1.6 8v swap, modifying 1.6 tbi intake to bolt on 32/36 weber.I have the engine only, no TBI wiring.....1.6 intake for tbi seems much larger runners and plenum than a stock 1.3 carbed intake.I cleaned it up some poishing and port matching, along with relocating bolt holes in the flange to fit the weber without an adapter. I plugged some unnecessary holes in the mounting flange with studs and cut them off flush. I have the pan off and am working to install 1.3 oil pickup and pan, anyone ever simply install a bushing onto the 1.3 pickup tube to fit 1.6 block ? use the 1.3 pickup unmodified ? Seems to fit well and can keep the anti slosh baffles. Have to drill and tap number 4 main cap for brace on 1.3 pickup, and bump out the pan edge to clear number 5 main bearing cap bolts a little bit.
Maco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 875366
post number 4 ordering parts today... fuel pump ( lo press) and timming cover, I went to TT kit because PW says its out of stock now so its looking like 1" body lift... we'll see..... without the redline adapter the weber directly on the 1.6 intake may be low enough ? Ill think up 6 more posts so I can see the pics but is this sitye even used anymore? posts are from 9 yrs ago......... any " active" samurai mod siyes ? anyome???? hellooooooo???????
Old 12-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 875366
setback.found crack between 3 & 4 cyl in 1.6 block. will keep 1.3 lower end.use 1.6 8v top end ported matched head and sidekick manifolds tbi intake ported polished modified to accept weber w/o adapter.sidekick exhaust to cat. using stock 1.6 8v side kick cam.... sure wish pics wer visible above would help alot <sigh > post #5 ............someday........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in