Nat_ster's Haul All - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Nat_ster's Haul All

Here it sits, a 190hp, 5.9 Cummins powered, 1992 B700 with a blue bird cab.

The day we got it home. It was a 82 km drive from where it was sitting for the last 3 years. All that was wrong was dead batteries, and a coolant pipe off the top of the block was leaking. It also had a full tank of diesel, and 5 tires with 80%, one with 30%. Everything was in good order, as here buses are inspected every 6 months, and get removed from bus service after 15 years, even if nothing is wrong with them.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 150595
After striping 1500 pounds of seats out we drove it from the acreage 5 miles out, to my back yard in town. This is where the conversion will unfold.

Floor striped. Used a skill saw to cut the plywood into two feet wide sections, then pryed it from the floor. It was held down with ring nails. Most pull through the plywood, and have to be ground off the floor after. There are hundreds of them.

The ply wood held the water from the snow boots in the winter, and caused the floor to surface rust. If bluebird hadn’t used the good, galvanized steel with a high nickel content, the floor would have rusted completely out.

Removing all that hangs below the floor. Rear bumper, sash, ect.

Marked for cutting. I used 6” zip disks on my little Dewalt angle grinder. My 5” grinders are harder to hold steady.

Removing all the windows.

Because Ford sold this as a cab and chaises, it has a really nice wiring layout. Even after I cut all the wires, unlike most cars, the front turn signals still work

More stuff to come out.

Extra fiberglass insulation that has no place in a automobile. It gets wet and holds moisture. There will be none left in my Haul All.

Nat

Last edited by nat_ster; 09-01-2011 at 09:42 PM.
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Getting ready to remove the back of the cab. Angle grinder with a 60 grit flap wheel was the best way of removing rivets on the outside.

Washed it out again. Every layer we take out of this bus reveals more dirt/garbage.

Prepping the back end for separation.

Nat

Old 09-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 34281
Send a message via Yahoo to keller
Ppump cummins and a 5 speed = WIN

My buggy build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[/CENTER]
keller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 150595
I used a peace of bed frame angle iron as a guide to run the John Deer steel cutting circular saw along. This will get a far better cut then free hand.

The floor cut worked out well. In the pic I have the floor a inch apart already.

The flloor staring to separate.

A friend and I lifted the rear of the cab down. We pulled it out from the bottom, as the seem sealer in the top seem would not allow the top to move first.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Stripping the front trim panels.

14 strands by 46 feet long. I now have enough wire to do the Haul All, and my truck.

Lower panels are all welded along the bottom. I zip disked them out so I could cut the walls where I needed.

Starting the middle body cut. This is how long the cab will be when done.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Cutting the sash of the other side.

Itís starting to come apart.

My little Sarah still thrilled we have our own bus.

Separation. It is being pulled onto the 20 foot Sea-Can shipping container trailer by the 8000 pound warn winch on the front of the trailer. Trailer has a live roll on the back, and 4Ē angle iron slides down the sides. The bus body is within a inch of the same as a Sea-Can, making everything go way better than expected.

My little Kevin helping, and soaking up everything around him.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 150595
My farm jack got run over a year ago. Havenít taken the time to run it over again, or take it to the 300 ton press.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 150595

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 150595
It went so well that I didnít even take all the tools out.

Back cab section going back on.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 150595
26 feet of the body removed, and set on the ground. Bus back in my yard ready to prep for the hoist/deck.

I used a few self tapping screws to hold it all in place while I pop rivet everything back together with ľĒ steel rivets.

A dent I will be pounding out after Iím done riveting it back together.

Got some steel I beam from the scrap yard for my hoist and deck. $800 worth of steel for $360.

A small farm of extra brackets I need to cut off.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 150595
A few pics of cutting them off.

After a hour with a angle grinder and zip disk, they are all gone.

Now trimming the ends. The steel I beams used to be posts in a steel building.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Getting the rivet stubs out of the trim peaces. They wonít pound out due to the groove worn into them, or they expanded when they installed them. Only way is to flap wheel them flush, then pound them out with a punch.

The seam sealer Iím using.

Fuel tank access hole that is no longer needed. Now that the sash is gone, everything can be reached from the side.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 83932
cool project, great progress

That 'bird is in great shape too.
IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Getting ready to chop 81Ē off the rear of the frame.

Both sides cut.

I beam is sticking out almost as far as the flat deck will.

Ready to start building the hoist rails, hinges, ect.

Self tapping screws to hold the seat in place for the two block drive to the weigh scale.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 150595
We got almost all the unnecessary weight trimmed off, and took it to the weigh scale. It now weighs 9497 pounds. I never weighed it before we started, but it should have been around 20,000 pounds. This B700 has a 28,000 pound GVWR

Two of the rub rails I cut, and welded back together the right length. Here I painted them to make sure I like the results.

More plywood induced surface rust.

Nat
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 74528
I've gotta tell you, the pics of the kids all excited climbing all over it while your wife stands back with her arms folded looks all too familiar. The wives just don't have the vision we do.

Also, while you have the back light, you have to get some video of a bus burnout.

Great work keep going with the pics!

Last edited by PatJ; 09-01-2011 at 10:04 PM.
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
The wives just don't have the vision we do.
Not all wives.

I've had more project vehicles than most of my BF's and a husband but after several cases of missing tools I wised up and go solo now. Take a look at my newest project in my sig link for proof!

Awesome work Nat! I'm insulating my toter home for Canadian winters!
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 150595
There are about 150 to 200 small holes from the nails/screws they used to fasten everything to the floor. They will all be patched with epoxy and small pieces of metal from the bus sash.

I have grown to hate seam sealer. Here is more that will need to be dug out with a flat screw driver. Wire wheel on the grinder just makes a big mess when the seam is that big.

More at the front steps.

To avoid poisoning myself, I wear a 99% respirator, and vacuum my work area often. This also keeps the wind from blowing the grinding dust in my eyes. I also point the discharge on the vacuum out the door to overcome the shortcomings of the filter.

This is how I burned up my little 4.5Ē grinder. I should have used the 5Ē.

Nat
Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 87916
looking great cant wait to see the completed project!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 87845
whatcha going to do for windows? why'd you remove all the seats and windows before cutting off the back half? Just to keep them from making a mess and lighter weight while you move the back section around?

with a bit of work you could do some cool stuff with that back-bus-half.

paint booth, storage shed, greenhouse, etc
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 75114
No stacks?
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2knole View Post
whatcha going to do for windows? why'd you remove all the seats and windows before cutting off the back half? Just to keep them from making a mess and lighter weight while you move the back section around?

with a bit of work you could do some cool stuff with that back-bus-half.

paint booth, storage shed, greenhouse, etc

I will be reusing 4 of the windows for now, I will be looking for something more air tight, in the sliding flavor.

We removed the windows to avoid pitting the glass from the grinding, cutting, ect.

Rear section will be my new 26 foot tool can on a skid. It's got more room than a 20 foot Sea-Can. I will be using steel from the inside skin to close all but 6 windows. Inside skin will also be used to close off the ends. One window in one end, and a 36" man door in the other. It will be painted a color to blend into my back yard for now, 6" of insulation and a new skin of colored roofing tin later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeptahoewhite View Post
No stacks?
Patience, there coming. I started this build the beginning of August. I still don't have all the pics up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
Not all wives.

I've had more project vehicles than most of my BF's and a husband but after several cases of missing tools I wised up and go solo now. Take a look at my newest project in my sig link for proof!

Awesome work Nat! I'm insulating my toter home for Canadian winters!

What part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
I've gotta tell you, the pics of the kids all excited climbing all over it while your wife stands back with her arms folded looks all too familiar. The wives just don't have the vision we do.

Also, while you have the back light, you have to get some video of a bus burnout.

Great work keep going with the pics!
I got it stuck in the neighbor's yard, across the back ally when I first brought it into town. Front tire sank into the lawn caused by all the rain we had. Back end just spun one side helplessly. No pics because I was shitting bricks trying to get it out before I got tagged for about 3 infractions.

I would love to give you guys the full blown burn out on pavement, but at this time, I can't afford to brake it. Maybe next year when the new bus crop comes off.

Thanks for looking.

Nat

Last edited by nat_ster; 09-02-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
What part?
Not sure exactly. I doubt I'll get up into the Territories although I'd love to. I'll mostly be reserve camping and playing a southie. Might even learn me a bit of French so I can get around Quebec while I visit the Mi'kmaq. It will be awhile before I travel though, taking care of Dad first. Then I'll hit the road.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
Not sure exactly. I doubt I'll get up into the Territories although I'd love to. I'll mostly be reserve camping and playing a southie. Might even learn me a bit of French so I can get around Quebec while I visit the Mi'kmaq. It will be awhile before I travel though, taking care of Dad first. Then I'll hit the road.
I wouldn't waste my time in Quebec unless I was just driving through to get to the other side. 99% are a bunch of arrogant, narrow minded, welfare bums that won't admit they need the western provinces to support them. They just go on about how better off they would be if they separated from the rest of Canada. I would love to stop paying there way. They remind me of a immature teenager.

Nat

Last edited by nat_ster; 09-03-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in