My new tow pig thred.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
My new tow pig thred..

Well we took delivery on it yesterday..I went with a 105k 97 4700lpx truck..Auto tranny,Dt444e, 19.5s with the 8 lug pattern, spring rear suspension, Cruise control but no ac..After getting the batteries charged up she fired right up and we didnt see any blowby..Topped off the ps fuild and let her run for a while.

Its an old true green chemlawn truck..My job purchased one earlier in the week to replace an old truck in our fleet and i took a chance on this one..I figured since hardly anybody knows about the auction site i had a good chance in a cheap score..

The body on the back is made from fiberglass and held the fertilizer and pesticide tanks and spray equipment..They drilled holes in the tanks and it looks as they took the hole reels and the pump assembly leaving the rest..There is a working PTO and shaft still under the truck though so thats a plus.

The body its self is roughly 57" high inside,but has several 3" tall reinforcing ribs spaced around the floor so id say 54" is a better spec.Its just under 11ft long and at the narrowest point its 82" wide..Roughly a touch larger than a full sized passenger van but longer.. There is one side horizontal door thats 30" x 87" and has two gas struts to hold it open.Then there is a rear passenger side cabinet that has a vertical door thats 27"x55"..I think this can be turned into a rear entry way if we use the box(more on that later). The rear door of the body has a swing out door thats 51"x51". Then there is a lower storage cabinet on the drivers side that is11"x46" and the compartment is about 16" deep..The PTO is run behind the cab on the passengers side and has a flip up door at the bottom of the body to gain access to the spray or what was the location of the sprayer.

Overall the shape of the box is usable but it does need some fiberglass work to be 100%, there is a missing section by the rear storage door fro a possible blowout and the rear corners are cracked from the truck backing into stuff i assume..A few of the seals arent sealing up well and may need replacement and none of the locks work.

Friday evening im going to spend some time after i buy a tyvek suit and filters for my respirator to clean out the box..Im not sure on what stuff they have spilled in there but its definitely an irritant..Have to cut out the tank straps then remove the tanks and the brackets that are holding the valves and whatnot thats left..Then vacuum it out and use a steam cleaner to pressure wash the walls..Right now im thinking standard purple power and baking soda to scrub the insides and then steam cleaning at 250* or so to rinse it out.. After that we can figure out if the box is worth building into a small living space or do we need to pull it off for a 60ish inch sleeper and hauler bed combo..I have a line on a cheap sleeper to build from a member here and we may go that route..

The low roof line hurts me because i am 6'3 and the wife is 5'9..So that may not be an option unless we find a used flip pac to gaft on or get some sorta raised roof from a conversion van.We looked at small van boxes but cant find a cheap 10 footer and an 8 foot unit seems impossible..We could keep the shower/crapper idea that rooster brought up in his ultimate tow pig thread.Crapper is a must but we dont have to have a shower as most of our trips will be overnight with this truck..

My only demand is that we use a sofabed from a conversion van..Mainly because they double as a seat when they are folded up and ive been sleeping on them for years( i am a vanner). Most we can get from junkyards are power and it shouldnt cost no more than 100 bucks to get one in great shape.The one we have in the ford folds out into a real double full sized bed with the extra cushions folding behind it when its upright. So even with a sleeper or a box thats a must have..It takes care of the occasional need for a crew cab on short trips and gives us a bed to sleep on.

Weekend plans are to do a complete fluid change,engine oil and misc filters, jack the truck up and check the kingpins, brakes etc etc.Then clean out the interior, start tire shopping as it needs tires..More than likely going retread G124s out back and some fresh steer tires up front.

The next step would be the engine..Upping the hp from the 170hp this truck is speced at to 300hp would be right where i want to be..Seems a reflash and injectors along with a turbo upgrade will take care of this..I plan on swapping in a full sized non inetrcooler rad up front and then try to relocate the factory intercooler behind the front bumper if it will fit.This truck will get the custom bumper off my uhual as well.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
angryblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
This is a web pic we found of a hotshot truck on the web..Not really a fan of the size contrast of the cab compared to the sleeper but it should look a bit better with a fabbed hauler bed behind it and some lower skirts under the sleeper.

Its only going to tow a smallish 20-24ft bumper pull as we have the van that will double as a tow rig when need be, but if we go with the sleeper it will have a goose in the bed as well.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 121062
Nice find! Let me know how that 444 and auto work out.
85yotacrawler575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 87845
that box would make for a GREAT back yard storage shed.

beyond that, I dunno... and I'd never feel comfortable spending the night in something you had to buy a tyvek suit to clean the chemicals out of.

otherwise, nice truck!

and now that you HAVE your truck, mind sharing the auction site that was a secret while you were shoppin?
y2knole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 112455
I hope the automatic is going to go at some point and be replaced?
lurchseesu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 131536
nice find let me know if you need a hand

So when we going wheeling

Check out my other builds
R.I.P
Will/jeepon1tons

Alex
Highrolleres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 189941
Sweet! Looks like a good build
Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 10695
Send a message via AIM to yager
I think the box will clean up fine, but I think that you will be unhappy with the limited height. 54" (4.5') is the same height inside my 1 ton van. While good for lots of things its still ultimately that is what lead me away from it. I just wanted to be able to stand up and have some more interior room. With it that low you are always leaning over something else as you move around. I'd think about that before you spend your time cleaning it out to much...

- 3800 v6 Supercharger, Toy axles etc..

Stroke - Coumadin (warfarin) - INR - Heart Valve - Ask me (true story)
yager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
I would lose that box, since short van boxes are hard to find how about buying a longer one and cutting it down? One with the riveted sides would seem to be easiest.
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86724
the box is all fiberglass right?

wouldn't be too hard to graft one of these on:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/vant...VvantopsIN.htm

yes it would be shorter than the box, but you could set it farther towards the back where you want the head room, keep it areodynamic and all. Adds 20" of head room.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 170
open the yellow pages and find someone who power washes hot....steam and clean it out, then dilute with water and rinse....looks like it would make a decent sleeper and should be dry....
Old 11-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25322
I like how that hotshot truck is setup
Old 11-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2knole View Post
that box would make for a GREAT back yard storage shed.

beyond that, I dunno... and I'd never feel comfortable spending the night in something you had to buy a tyvek suit to clean the chemicals out of.

otherwise, nice truck!

and now that you HAVE your truck, mind sharing the auction site that was a secret while you were shoppin?
http://www.actionassets.com/default.htm the parent company has been around a while but the website for the auctions is a fresh site.Not sure that i needed a tyvek suit but id rather not have skin irritations, plus it makes it easier to work inside with the harsh cleaning chemicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchseesu View Post
I hope the automatic is going to go at some point and be replaced?
Yeah its gotta go..I drove the truck home tonight and even though its a 4 speed auto it reminds me how autos got the name slushbox..It does this hang in low gear and feels mushy thing at part throttle under 20 mph that drives me nucking futs.Wot the truck feels really peppy so im sure that with the engine bumped to 300 hp and the right manual i will be happy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrolleres View Post
nice find let me know if you need a hand

So when we going wheeling
Man soon brother very soon....Im gonna at least make a trailer hitch and wire up a cheap brake controller..At that point i can rent a trailer until i buy or build one.So be ready by at least February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yager View Post
I think the box will clean up fine, but I think that you will be unhappy with the limited height. 54" (4.5') is the same height inside my 1 ton van. While good for lots of things its still ultimately that is what lead me away from it. I just wanted to be able to stand up and have some more interior room. With it that low you are always leaning over something else as you move around. I'd think about that before you spend your time cleaning it out to much...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
the box is all fiberglass right?

wouldn't be too hard to graft one of these on:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/vant...VvantopsIN.htm

yes it would be shorter than the box, but you could set it farther towards the back where you want the head room, keep it areodynamic and all. Adds 20" of head room.
Yeah it wasnt all that bad to get it cleaned out..I got the tanks out today and the misc hoses left behind..Still have two more brackets left but the ground was wet where i worked so i will crawl uner there to unbolt then in the am when i get the tranny info and look for the gear ratio..Im guessing that its in the 4.70 range.

I thought of a turtle top.Easy junkyard score..But i may take my time and look for a fiberglass flip pac topper to cut down, try to gaft the upper section of a pop up camper for the added headroom when its camped..Both those options would add to sleeping capacity..At the most it will be 3 of us when we are out so the extra bed would be nice.There is also some talk of rolling some 1" square tube and building the roof higher from that and some aluminum skins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
open the yellow pages and find someone who power washes hot....steam and clean it out, then dilute with water and rinse....looks like it would make a decent sleeper and should be dry....
Got it covered brother..We clean trash chutes and trash compactors in high rise apartment buildings..So i just pulled out the chute cleaning truck and used our equipment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONRACIN View Post
I like how that hotshot truck is setup
Me too but the sleeper seems touch wide..But its the solid back up plan..Im sure if we have to go that route it will look better with full skirts and a nice hauler bed.. We are trying to stick with full on rv so we can get dirt cheap insurance.Plus the added space.

Gonna price out tires in the am..Found that the fuel gauge is funky, its pegged way past full but ive heard thats a common issue..No rattles and clanks on the ride home.Temp stayed at 180ish.The truck does pull slightly to the left under hard braking but im gonna order some hawk pads for it soon front and rear.So far it seems to ride better in the front than my uhauler but there is only two leafs on the front pack..The rear pack seems pretty light also , so at a way later date i may swap in full air ride There is some 4" c channel for the rear bumper..Its bolted to the frame..Im wondering if this is enough that i can weld a 3x4 .120 wall tube onto and then use it as a hitch.. The wife says i should build an air ride hitch because there is room under the truck but not sure on that yet.

I also have to remove the brackets that they left on where the fertilizer pump was..The PTO drive shaft will stay..Right now im toying with the idea of running 4 hydro cylinders to lift and level the truck when we camp..Gotta figure out that later..Its about the only thing that i could use the pto for..

Building with fiberglass is new for me..So im gonna research into adhesives that i can use to glue 1x2s to the inside walls..This way i can insulate and get some walls up..Start thinking of the basic layout and order the acordian seal for the pass through.

Last edited by angryblack; 11-25-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Poseur SUV

Member # 610
Send a message via ICQ to Paul Gagnon
I don't understand the MDT craze.
Paul Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Found the build sheet and all the papaerwork from day one behind the seats.

Didnt find the maintenance records though.

Stoked that the truck sheet says 3.54 gears..That should open up some top end when the manual gets swapped in.And the truck has a at542 just not sure how less sucky that tranny is..

Gonna try some google sketchup or paint drawings to figure out where stuff will go.. Im thinking of removing the side horizontal door and replace it with some lexan..Use windshield urethane to glue it in and then some molding to make it look nice..The kitchen will probably go on the passenger side and the crapper on the drivers at the very rear with a curtain..

Im gonna have to order some tanks for this as the ones i have are way to big.

Went to get the tires and when he pulled off the front i noticed the rotors have heat checks..So im gonna wait another week to order up new rotors and pads and do the tires then..Its a big chunk of change but id rather go in there once..

Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gagnon View Post
I don't understand the MDT craze.
I see what you did there

Thanks to:

Extreme Performance

Bear Creek Auto Recyclers

TEX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 112455
If you're 6'3", you're going to want a full width big rig sleeper like that.
lurchseesu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 46229
You will need a manual trans ECM if you change transmissions.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Yeah with the box thats on it now the sofa bed would have to go lengthwise in the back....Otherwise we cant walk around it..been looking at cargo trailer conversions and teardrops a lot for ideas at this site http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/index.php..plus going over all the great builds we have here already..

I sure didnt think about getting a manual tranny pcm along with the tranny..I wonder if i can get the program for the auto removed when i swap..If thats the case it would be best to upgrade the turbo,injectors and exhaust the same time i do the tranny swap..

Is it just a replace the pcm and unplug the wires from the tranny or will i have to play with wires other than the vss?

Last edited by angryblack; 11-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 196490
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

Fixed the link.

I'm not sure how it could work being I've never seen the inside but would it be possible to find another box like that and graft a portion of the top of it onto yours to raise it? My glass work is limited to being a pro at using Marinetex so you get the best of my ignorance.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Well that being said you may just be sent for to be used for your labor.

I don't know if i can get another body but a conversion van top would work if the low roof bothers us..I really like the idea of cutting up a pop up slide in or just cutting up a small pop up and gafting it up there..I like the flip pac toppers like in the pic.Just gotta find on used..That way the truck will be lower for fuel mileage.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Depends on how many cold weather outings you'll be on. My experience with soft side pop ups froze my tatas into diamond cutters. If it's cold and rainy kind of miserable I guess you'd just have to measure your own tolerance of the whine factor.

I'm 5' so I can pretty much walk in anything but even the height of what you have now would annoy me after awhile. Originally I was converting my 1/2 ton van but after the tornado ate it I went taller.

As far as labor, lol. I finally have a good streak of weather and I can't get anyone to come out and pull the cord on the genny so I can cut some holes in the side of the box! Hmm, I'm about 90 miles north of you and don't have another set of wheels because I bought this truck but YOU DO...
Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 AM   #23 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Subscribed.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this build.

I'm no fiberglass pro, but I do have a fair amount of experience with it, If you have any questions, just ask!! Polyurethane adhesives should work fine to glue 1x2's inside. If the 1x2's are too stiff, they might try to pull the sides flat where they're glued. YMMV.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 46229
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
I sure didnt think about getting a manual tranny pcm along with the tranny..I wonder if i can get the program for the auto removed when i swap..If thats the case it would be best to upgrade the turbo,injectors and exhaust the same time i do the tranny swap..
Is it just a replace the pcm and unplug the wires from the tranny or will i have to play with wires other than the vss?
You can't modify the PCM programs, you will need the whole manual trans PCM which for that chassis is not very common. You will also need the wiring harness for the proper manual trans connections.
The trans may be shifting weird since it isn't seeing the load it was designed for. That will put TPS and VSS at different readings than it is used to shifting at. The IH low boy chassis (4700) I have worked on shifted weird and hard when unloaded such as when I removed the body and had to drive the cab/chassis by itself to a body shop.

Last edited by FF3PM; 11-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.
FF3PM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Subscribed.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this build.

I'm no fiberglass pro, but I do have a fair amount of experience with it, If you have any questions, just ask!! Polyurethane adhesives should work fine to glue 1x2's inside. If the 1x2's are too stiff, they might try to pull the sides flat where they're glued. YMMV.

Ok so from reading your thread about the insulation i may just run some foil faced insulation and then some jute carpet padding.We will only be overnight in this about once per month so i dont think i need to go crazy.Plus the furnace i have is from my travel trailer..It has 1" pink fiberglass tin outer walls and paneling inside..It has kept up sweaty in the winter..The ac seems to keep up as well...I wont be able to get the foil facing to mid next week(pesky bills)..But i think i can press then against the walls good with a 2x4 wedged across..Or give up 1" of inner space on the walls and lay then flat..Id gain 2" of living space..Gonna buy the adhesive and studs later tonight or in the am to start on the framework..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in