Dodge WC53 Tow Rig and Restomod - Page 33 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #801 (permalink)

Member # 14004
My friends, we are in the presence of greatness here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- TBI 304/T18a/D300/60/70/5.86/43's
87 Samurai - GSX carbs/16V 1.6/GRS-II/linked rear/31's
Kreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #802 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Send a message via AIM to jhama78
But did you use the batter chart to see how much cake your air cleaner will cook on the way to the campground/beach?

Looks good Allejandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #803 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
No, but seriously... Bath and Beyond at 8:30 pm by my lonesome to buy cake pans to cut up for truck parts... I certainly did not look like I belonged there.

That's pretty slick.

Add some rivets and no one would be the wiser.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #804 (permalink)

Member # 86724
the things I learn on here.
bed bath beyond air cleaners and wheel barrow doghouses.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #805 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
I am retired Navy and building a Navy M38. I have been searching for the right color and think I found it. Where did you get the paint and what is the code?

Skip
Old 11-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #806 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
Want pics?

Its all about the right form.

I think I learned a new source though. Bed and Bath?
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #807 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Send a message via AIM to jhama78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Its a fru fru home store... Pretty common here on the east coast. i'm sure you can find steel cake pans at sears, etc.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #808 (permalink)

Member # 14004
I can remember when this was a hard core bulletin board. Next thing you know someone's going to post up about sourcing seats from Lazy-Boy!

Seriously, this is an awesome idea!

- TBI 304/T18a/D300/60/70/5.86/43's
87 Samurai - GSX carbs/16V 1.6/GRS-II/linked rear/31's
Kreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2016, 05:51 AM   #809 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
But did you use the batter chart to see how much cake your air cleaner will cook on the way to the campground/beach?

Looks good Allejandro
Hopefully a little addition of a heat shield will help keep things cool since the can is stuffed under the hood now. I figured going all aluminum with it will help out on heat dispersion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post

That's pretty slick.

Add some rivets and no one would be the wiser.
Yea, the rivets really made the fact that its made from cookware kinda become a non-visible issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
Probably won't be the last random thing I use either as I complete the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
I am retired Navy and building a Navy M38. I have been searching for the right color and think I found it. Where did you get the paint and what is the code?

Skip
I haven't found a color code for it yet. Closest description is actually "Panzergrau" which is a German color. "Gasp! Blasphemy!" But I am going to make a trip to a friend's body shop where he has a million PPG and such books to try and match something up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post

Jrod is right, the place is exactly as it sounds. I think there was an Adam Sandler movie based on the place or something. Click, where the remote sped up time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreep View Post
I can remember when this was a hard core bulletin board. Next thing you know someone's going to post up about sourcing seats from Lazy-Boy!

Seriously, this is an awesome idea!
Hey, Lazy-Boy recliners in the back wouldn't be half bad! Ha ha...

So after the week from Hell... I've finally got some time back working on this thing. Been going through some relapse health stuff so Tuesday was a Spinal Tap, that went terrible as every nerve fiber must have been hit on the way in, then doc twists needle around for 20 minutes to get the fluids out; some of the worst pain of my life and nurses could tell because I was white as a ghost and on the edge of passing out for a good bit of the time. Two days on the couch to "recover", which makes me crazy with cabin fever, and then find out Thursday the hole is leaking as I have headaches so bad I'm losing vision and throwing up whenever I would stand uo. ER on Friday for a "Blood Patch" which is another needle in the back, and then finally Saturday I feel okay enough to work on this thing. This was easy sit on a bar stool type fab work so I managed it all mostly together. I still need to add the intake tube into the bottom and figure out a heat shield and a firewall mount.

I found some 6" ID O-rings / square seals to use between the two cake pans and then some double action spring clasp latches to pull it all together.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 11-06-2016 at 05:52 AM.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #810 (permalink)

Member # 108006
You could have saved some time using a spring form bunt cake pan to mount the filter and connect the lower part of the housing/cover.

Looking great. Can't wait to get a chance to drool over it in Iowa if you make it out this year.
JunkCJ6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #811 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Paint info:

Paint for U.S. Navy Vehicles
Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #812 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Wow, that air cleaner box turned out great.

Sorry to hear about the relapse. All of that sounds absolutely awful... Gland you're finally feeling better, though!

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #813 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Got it, thanks. I will use it on my 43 MB for sure, not sure I will on the M38 unless it comes close to what he used here.

Skip
Old 12-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #814 (permalink)
FST

Member # 226569
Any Updates?
FST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #815 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by FST View Post
Any Updates?
Sadly, nothing much. Took a week off for a vacation that my wife and I had planned back in March; it was already paid for so despite my health I said F-it and went anyways and it turned out good. However, as every working person knows, it takes a week before and a week after to take care of all the things that happen during the week that you are gone, vacation time or not you end up working OT... but it was a much needed get "away from it" experience for sure; plus I enjoyed having a rental car (Suzuki Jimmy, RHD) where the main highways still don't have any lines painted on them and "improved roads" means more than 1 "vehicle" a day traverses the path . The road by where we stayed was broken up concrete that you could barely walk down without near death (my wife fell), and there were plenty of people who kept telling us that many tourists were too scared to drive themselves up or down it. Basically dump crushed concrete slabs onto the side of the Putney entrance road in Harlan Kentucky. I had quite the fun.

View from the Guest House Balcony.. Soufriere, St. Lucia.

Only thing truck related is I sold my Atlas 12" lathe back before Thanksgiving and this past weekend some buds and I took a trip up to Eastern Shore MD and picked up a nice stout Colchester 7.5" Triumph Gap Bed Lathe, so thats a 15" swing, (24.5" with gap removed), 5 HP, and Standard and Metric threading from the QC gear box... literally weighs a Ton more than the Atlas did. It has some maintenance requirements I need to mess with over the holidays but we got it fired up on the 4kW VFD last night and this machine can really hog some material. 2.095" through bore means its a tight fit but standard suspension link material will feed through it, and machine work for tie rods and such can also be done "easily". Christmas list is all machine tools again this year.. threading bars, parting tools, etc.

Note the light switch on the wall for a sense of scale... and the photo of the 4 jaw and tailstock compared to a size 12 Redwing.

I have plans to get back on the Carryall around start of the new year. I'm doing some side work here and there these days to help get some $ saved up to order my rear springs and some other misc things. I gotta finish cleaning up a good bit after re-arranging my shop for the new tool.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #816 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22748
There is a you tube channel called Turn Wright Machine Works, Kieth Fenner runs it, he is doing a series right now on resurrecting an old lathe, might be some helpful tips on that.

R.I.P. Jason

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #817 (permalink)

Member # 173375
I have a couple of antique chainsaws that are missing the air cleaner covers that were basically bowl shaped. I might have to take a page out of your book and roll through the cookware aisle sometime
95stepside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #818 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Still waiting on some parts, and also been re-organizing life, tools, etc. Gonna get back hard into this thing here soon.

In the meantime, for inspiration, here is a photo of my bud Bruce up in B.C. The patina is something he created into the paint. He uses it frequently for search and rescue missions. 4bt, NV4500, NWF Blackbox, and NP205 with a drum brake like my setup but stolen from an NP200. Cool truck for sure!

Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #819 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
I still want one.

Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #820 (permalink)

Member # 188176
Haha, and of course I would scroll through pirate and see my Dads Power Wagon.
carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 04:28 AM   #821 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrottop View Post
Haha, and of course I would scroll through pirate and see my Dads Power Wagon.
You need to take more pictures and help your dad post em on PWA. He tells great stories over there but no photos to back them up!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #822 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Trade for <Jim>? Then you won't need the Vintage Airstream we've heard nothing about since the start of this thread: .
Old 02-09-2017, 05:12 AM   #823 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
So... I'm still here, and this truck still isn't done. Its been a rough few months with a lot of stupid things going on in life that required attention and a lot of energy and time. Finally got things sorted and didn't find but rather created some time to work on this truck.
Unfortunately, what I thought I had given myself enough room for, I didn't fully take into account the overall size of these 3" silicone couplers and where they force the can to be located for the sake of hood clearance. I don't care for the proximity of the air cleaner box to the hot side of the turbo. The whole point was to pull cooler outside air for the engine and this is nothing but a burrito oven if I mount it here. I guess I'll move it to the other side above the powersteering box and the AC dryer and possibly a wiper fluid res can mount back in here. I already have to cut the drivers side inner fender up since it had a battery box bump in it that interferes with my strut tower so I can go ahead and create the opening and intake box for the air cleaner there too. Not going to be too exciting in here in the nearish future but I'm hoping I can slowly get back to normal stuff and really cover some ground here again.

Even with a heat shield this is too close for my liking and blocks a lot of heat into a compact area.

There should be enough room to run a jumper tube across the top of the valve cover and over to the turbo inlet. I had ordered some 3" SCEET tube to use for a flexible routing intake tube, but I guess I can use it elsewhere or hold onto it for whatever for now.. Brake vents.. ha ha.

The inner fender covers between the front core, the inside edge of the strut tower, and runs back to the body-line at the firewall. The square box there is the front harness relay center that powers all the headlights, front turn, horn, ignition, etc. The main Cummins ECM and the Allison TCM are all located rather central to this as well. Lots of stuff to fit but hoping I can still make it all work.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 02-09-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #824 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24238
Looks like you might have room to run that big can horizontal up closer to the hood for more clearance too depending on layout?

I'm sure you've thought about that already. I'm really replying to say "nice shocks"

Those look like the bee's knees for setting up ride height/ full bump/ full droop while working on a new rig. Would be nice to run the pin holes both ways for clearance and to use used up heims for eyes so you could leave one side pinned and loose the other to check limited articulation. One of those little things that could make life a lot easier sometimes.
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
koh19 pit crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - pit crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - pit crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 pit crew: 572

|
Mr. Mindless is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #825 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
Looks like you might have room to run that big can horizontal up closer to the hood for more clearance too depending on layout?

I'm sure you've thought about that already. I'm really replying to say "nice shocks"

Those look like the bee's knees for setting up ride height/ full bump/ full droop while working on a new rig. Would be nice to run the pin holes both ways for clearance and to use used up heims for eyes so you could leave one side pinned and loose the other to check limited articulation. One of those little things that could make life a lot easier sometimes.
Yea, no room to squeeze it under the hood in the Hz direction either. just too little space the way the hood angles down and narrows so harshly.

Thanks for the compliment!The mockup struts are great! I like your idea of cross drilling the pin holes. I made these on the plasma table by laying the tube in some channel and then burning the holes. They are as close to the actual body size of an ORI strut and the inside smaller ID pieces are drilled too so that I can "lock" them for testing articulation as you mentioned. The other plus is being able to roll the truck around to move it in and out of the garage and I've even transported it a few times for photo shoots and when the body was pulled and reset. I fabbed up this set of 10" versions for this build and also a set of 14"s for a Mega Truck build back in 2013 when I first started working on the suspension. The Mega truck is done so the 14"s are getting passed around among friends currently for a few other builds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in