Dodge WC53 Tow Rig and Restomod - Page 34 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #826 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Just stumbled into this thread and read it all. Amazing fab work, I completely agree that your making art here.

Keep at it, and hope your health improves. Its going to be bitchin when its done!
Java is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 AM   #827 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Just stumbled into this thread and read it all. Amazing fab work, I completely agree that your making art here.

Keep at it, and hope your health improves. Its going to be bitchin when its done!
Thanks! I appreciate that! Health has been manageable lately so I've been trying to get some stuff done. The big kicker is dexterity in my fingers comes and goes and that can really put a damper on progress when I can't hold onto a 5/32" rivet or a 1/4-20 bolt.

Worked on it for a few hours each day over the weekend and also for a short time on Monday night. Previously, was trying to fit 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb box; now it appears I am actually stuffing 17lb 9 oz of shit into said box. This 3" diameter intake stuff takes up a lot of space and the air box is going on the driver's side. Looking forward to hearing some whistle echo off of things when I drive by.

The dog thinks he is helping. He wants it done so he can go for a ride too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #828 (permalink)

Member # 174683
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post

The dog thinks he is helping. He wants it done so he can go for a ride too!

ACD?
tab2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #829 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab2 View Post
ACD?
Yea, he's a really cool dog; however a bit neurotic about things and can be super freaking loud sometimes. He is very protective of my wife though, so thats good.

So, I have taken a page out of FST's book, you know who he is, the guy building that sick nasty Willy's pickup in the steam punk resto-mod theme. He cut the WO logo into the side of his blower box... So I figure I'd steal and play on his idea. I needed a place to hide my rear chassis CAN module for the Infinity wiring system. I figured the original radio filter box would be a good location that is easy to get to and also easy to somewhat blend in. I started designing the box and thought "man, I should play with this idea some"...

So this...

Will be replaced with this...

The box isn't finished yet (needs rivets of course) and some corner guards are on order from Restoration Hardware.

Also, before anyone gets all "preacher" about the logo... READ...

From "The Dodge Brothers - the Men, the Motor Cars, and the Legacy," by Charles K. Hyde, Professor of History, Wayne State University: "Despite their distinct personalities, interests, and talents, John and Horace Dodge - partners in work, in play, and in life - were a team. Even the corporate symbol they adopted embodied their utter dependence on each other. The Hindus first used this symbol as a charm against evil, as did ancient Arab peoples who put it on their drinking cups. The Jews later adopted the symbol during the Talmudic period of their history, named it "Solomon's Seal," and used it to ward off evil. During the Middle Ages, the symbol stood for the mystical union of the body and soul, of truth and beauty, and of other dualisms. The symbol is especially appropriate for John and Horace Dodge, since a triangle represents the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet, delta. On the Dodge Brothers logo, the triangle pointing up is white, supposedly representing the soul, while the triangle pointing down is blue and stands for the body. This is not a Star of David and does not refer to Judaism in any way."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #830 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 195073
What did you use to bend that with?
Skip
Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 AM   #831 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip44 View Post
What did you use to bend that with?
Skip
I've got one of the Baileigh Magnetic brakes and it does some truck things; however, at the same time doesn't have as much brute rigidity as needed when bending some thicker gauge. It claims it is rated for 16 ga, however after using it for a bit, 18 ga is more like it.

So finally got some time to work on this truck again. Creeping along. 50 minutes of planning for every 10 minutes of work.

Yes, that is a flip cap Dust resistant USB port on the back of the box. It was the most retro modern way I could think of to hide a USB port in the box cover so that something could be charged in the back seat and also can be used to adjust different features in the CANbus system. The box cover opens but all of the wiring will be covering that access panel so this is just as easy. The corner guards are just little Jewelry box corners from Restoration Hardware. So yea, Restoration Hardware, Bed, Bath, and Beyond.. now all I need is some Yankee Candle and maybe William Sonoma and this truck will be the true definition of a "Mall Crawler".

Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #832 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
That turned out absolutely amazing.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #833 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
So my Cummins ECM doesn't have the fan temp control system, even though the build sheet says it does... weird. So, that means I am installing a stand alone controller. Went with the Dakota Digital that I can program my on/off points using the temp gauge sender as a source. Pretty slick little unit; however it has zero weather resistance and I didn't want to stand on my head to make the adjustments so I went ahead and bent up a glove box and installed the control unit there.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #834 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Nice work. Jealous of your sheetmetalworking skills.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #835 (permalink)

Member # 499793
I am continually amazed and impressed with not only the quality of your work but the attention to detail. It is obviously a labor of love for you.

What got me started watching this thread was not just for the Dodge but for the Airstream as well.

It has been some time since this thread was started. We have seen this worm turn into a chrysalis and how it is emerging as a beautiful butterfly. But except for a few photos at the start I haven't seen anything on the Airstream.

How has the progress been going on the Airstream?
MarkObtinaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #836 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Thanks for the compliments for sure guys! It is certainly and labor of love. I sold my TJ crawler just recently as well so this is now my only real baby for the time being.

Ahh, yes. The Airstream; We had submitted to get a title for it years ago, and that process proved to be nearly impossible through the standard Virginia DMV stuff. We were hesitant to put any effort at all into the trailer until we had a title. Some allotted time went by and we tried for a title in a different manner, which was also a long drawn out process and finally got one for it. In the mean time, my wife has been stacking different goodies for it and researching like crazy how she wants to build it. She has a stack of brand new windows for the thing, and I've been honing my solid rivet and sheet metal skills.

One of the big reasons I sold the Jeep was to free up some cash to create somewhere to work on the Airstream. The camper has just been stored along side my garage and has actually been doubling AS storage for my Carryall project, housing the fenders, hood, etc. Sometime in the next 2 months, I am having an addition for the garage poured, and a nice concrete driveway leading up to it. I can move the Airstream to the building pad / driveway and she can get started on it as I am closing in on the final pieces to this truck before starting it, driving it, then blowing it apart to finish up body work and paint (which I am not making this thing street rod clean but rather just functional and solid).

I actually spent Sunday afternoon rearranging our lawn tool shed so that we could gain access to some of the parts we saved when gutting the trailer. For the sake of recreating the radius, we kept a few wall divider panels and trim pieces and I dug those out. I even took this picture and posted it on my IG account. The Airstream is about to become a big part of this thread again here soon; my apologies for the 4 year delay but as is life. You must have a nose for it because nearly every conversation with my wife starts or ends with an idea involving HER camper.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #837 (permalink)

Member # 128674
I've probably posted this before, but this is my favorite build posted anywhere. Amazing job.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #838 (permalink)

Member # 222190
I love this build. It is the only one that I check weekly and make sure I never close out of. It also has an icon on both my personal and work phone home screen. Please keep up the awesome work
Ckjeseth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #839 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt rider View Post
I've probably posted this before, but this is my favorite build posted anywhere. Amazing job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckjeseth View Post
I love this build. It is the only one that I check weekly and make sure I never close out of. It also has an icon on both my personal and work phone home screen. Please keep up the awesome work
Thats great to hear! I'm chugging along and it will be done hopefully sooner than later. Been deep into the wiring system lately. I'm keeping a full spreadsheet with connections, colors, gauges, and branches, then eventually will draw up a schematic to have printed to keep with the truck. Doing it right the first time takes time, but will take less time than having to figure out what is wrong or what went where in order to fix or modify something 5 years after the truck is complete.

However,
It appears that some folks don't share our mutual opinion of this truck being awesome.

Not sure the exact relation but Chad Parsons was another one of these grumpy purists to comment on my truck. Picture was taken from my IG account and shared in a WC and M37 group on Sunday. I'm writing these guys off as people who can see no farther than cleaning something, painting it, and putting it back together the exact way someone else created it. They lack the vision to see where I am going with this machine. Oh well.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 04-24-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #840 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46168
Fuck 'em. If you are pissing people off you must be doing it right

'00 Excursion - cummins/nv4500, 05+ coil suspension/dana 60
'54 International R112
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #841 (permalink)

Member # 198592
just remember he wouldn't say it to your face...carry on man
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #842 (permalink)

Member # 85771
I don't care so much what anyone does with old iron as long as somethings being done. Letting them rot is the worst thing that can happen.

Keep at it man.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #843 (permalink)

Member # 606073
You're names on the title, Chad needs to shut the hell up. If he owned it he could make it a parade pounder.

I follow along always looking forward to new updates. It's coming along Awesome! I hope you're health hangs in there.
junkf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #844 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
this.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #845 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
x2!

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #846 (permalink)

Member # 65168
Truck looks great man.

Some people need a clue. I get the same shit with MY old VW truck. It's rattle canned, has all terrains, and I generally beat on it. I can't count the number of people who say it's ruined or ask when it will be restored. Mind throwing up your IG name so I can follow the build? I don't get on here a whole lot.
matty_fly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #847 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
after 50 yrs of hacking flat fenders i'm familiar with pissing off the purists and my response is always . i have followed this truck from the start and have learned from your skills and stolen some of your ideas. i'm looking forward to the airstream and seeing the finish of this one. takes a man with vision and balls to hack up vintage tin
F Toy #20
86 CUCV with some stuff
F 800 toter ho
retired wheeler

if you don't roll it over once in a while you aren't trying hard enough
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #848 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Why does it even matter?

I piss off Diamond T people, Pete people, Studebaker and mil truck people.

I don't care, they're not paying me. You give them too much power by even listening.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.

Last edited by Grendel; 04-25-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #849 (permalink)

Member # 138004
I could understand comments like that if this build was full of booger welds and hacked up shit but this thing is full of craftsmanship! Well done sir you have my admiration.
TBuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #850 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
wait till your done and see how much the haters flip to the leg humping crew...... the build is great keep going

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in