Dodge WC53 Tow Rig and Restomod - Page 53 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #1301 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRam View Post
seben ate for ate
and all I hear is
I'm Gumby dammit!
Ha ha...
Yea, its a pretty good method for weeding out the spammers, scammers, and tire kickers. People are lazy and click link reply buttons, but to decipher and input a message like that, takes a little more genuine effort.

The truck is actually already sold. Going to a guy who builds cool stuff like me. His 6x6 Power Wagon was on "My Classic Car" this past weekend in the event anyone caught the episode. He also has a 24V swapped Power Wagon School bus that he takes on trips through Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. So I'm happy its going to someone who is deserving of it and will do it right.

Back to work on this one this weekend I hope. Finishing up the seat frames and dropping them off at upholstery and getting started on the window frames.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #1302 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Ha ha...
Yea, its a pretty good method for weeding out the spammers, scammers, and tire kickers. People are lazy and click link reply buttons, but to decipher and input a message like that, takes a little more genuine effort.

The truck is actually already sold. Going to a guy who builds cool stuff like me. His 6x6 Power Wagon was on "My Classic Car" this past weekend in the event anyone caught the episode. He also has a 24V swapped Power Wagon School bus that he takes on trips through Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. So I'm happy its going to someone who is deserving of it and will do it right.

Back to work on this one this weekend I hope. Finishing up the seat frames and dropping them off at upholstery and getting started on the window frames.

Shit, you really suck.

I want one.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #1303 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Tried to include as many details for the author, but he still got a few things mixed up... Who says Monster "Car" anyways...

https://pilotonline.com/distinction/...d104b3f67.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #1304 (permalink)

Member # 11154
Quote:
Tried to include as many details for the author, but he still got a few things mixed up... Who says Monster "Car" anyways...

[email protected]$king awesome!

Nice writing for the intended audience. Hopefully it catches some kids imagination and inspires them to take on a cool old project!!
OCNORB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #1305 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:

Nice placement of the sticker! Love the American Gothic vibe, that wrench tho!

MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #1306 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Nice weather today so did some car show stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by AlxJ64; 04-20-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #1307 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
I got the magazine in print form. It all looks much better and sharper than the online format. Additional photos of the truck are strewn throughout the print version in places such as the Table of Contents / directory page and a full page photo is the last page of the magazine and as is what is posted here.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #1308 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
So, I finally got around to re-doing my transfer case mount. I thought I could get away with having the T-case further over as I have seen a fair number of other old trucks with a setup that had an intermediate shaft at a pretty decent angle. Well, that works fine to about 45 or 50 mph that those old trucks saw, not so much at 70 mph. I was getting some U-joint noise and it was instigating some chatter from the divorced case.

So, I moved the T-case over a little bit laterally to make the angles of the intermediate shaft happier but it did give me a little bit too much lateral angle at the pinion of the Eaton. The u-joint vibration at high speed and T-case coast chatter is now 95% gone at 65 to 70 mph (took it up to 75 and truck still drives good). Because I had built the intermediate shaft with just enough room to install it, and the cases were at an angle, moving it laterally required a slight shortening of the shaft. Ohh well, was only an hour or so job and it was the smoothest and problem free driveshaft job I think I have ever done. This Colchester lathe has paid for its giant foot print in my garage several times now this stuff like this.
Also, I got to use my new to me but older than dirt Famco 13 arbor press that I picked up in March, thats a 1480 joint for scale, however this "little" arbor press has nothing on the Atlas 20 ton twin column one I bought at the same time.

Also, this truck is a perpetual, Thats what she said joke... People finally see it in person and its either "Thats way bigger than it looks in pictures!" or the opposite of "It looked way bigger on the internet!" So I was out test driving the truck and when I pulled into the home depot parking lot, I saw this XJ to park next to. I felt like a troll when I pulled up and realized a guy and his girl were hanging out in it eating lunch. I got out and they never said anything or even really looked at the truck. When I came back out, they were gone and I realized that the picture was a good scale for the truck. Most people know how big an XJ is... and an XJ on 35"s is a small vehicle that appears big... well, the truck still looks pretty large even lurking in the background.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #1309 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
While I've never seen it in person, it does seem to be smaller than I thought it was sitting next to the XJ for scale - even knowing that's a fairly l arge XJ lift.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #1310 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
So now that I can run it around pretty hard, I noticed that my EGT numbers are kinda higher than I expected. Granted, I don't have an EGT gauge in my stock as a rock Cummins daily driver so I lack a normal reference point, but I do get a little nervous seeing this 4 cylinder ramp to 1200 degrees on a 3/4 throttle pull from 45 to 70 and then it cruises 900 to 950 at 65 mph. The most I ever see the boost gauge pull is about 12 psi to 15 psi. I am wondering if I have a leak or a restriction in my system? It doesn't seem to ramp the EGT at first though, it holds at around 1050 or so for a good bit and then even with a maintained throttle it jumps and ramps again. Is it possible the intercooler is just too small and I am heat soaking it?

I haven't yet installed my full intake horn system and it is still pulling air from above the manifold under the hood. I wonder if the manifold is getting hot and then the intake starts pulling that insane hot air and that is more than the IC can handle.

The internet has all kinds of thoughts on Max EGT for a Common Rail Cummins. Some guys say 1100 melts aluminum so your engine will fly apart at 1105. Other guys talk about 5 minute plus 1250 loaded pulls in the middle of summer.

Thoughts... wait... okay, flamesuit on.. Fire away at my ignorance here.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 04-29-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #1311 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
Pre turbo u can spike to 1600 on a cr motor but dont recomend it. I defuel at 1300* per the programer and ill get there when im pulling a hill at 25k lbs total. U can run 1250* for a decent hill climb and it wont hurt anything. I will get over 1000* and 45psi when driving hard but cruise in the highway around 700 and 12psi of boost. Sounds like u need to get the turbo to light up sooner and clean out the fuel.

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 08:22 AM   #1312 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24238
where's your probe? in the manifold pre-turbo that is a little warm. If it's post-turbo that's really hot.

I let my 6.7 hold 1200 for minutes, 1250 for seconds (I have my Insight alarm set somewhere 1225-1250). I don't think I've seen it spike much over 1300, and it maxes at 27psi on stock turbo and Smarty Jr tune. It cruises much cooler though, especially unloaded. I think more like 600, but you're probably at higher load and it's probably more like my 3500 with a trailer than empty, and in that case a 700-800 cruise might be what I'd expect.
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
koh19 pit crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - pit crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - pit crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 pit crew: 572

|

Last edited by Mr. Mindless; 04-29-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #1313 (permalink)

Member # 192237
1200F or 1200C?

My tdi sees 1600F nearly every time I drive the fucker
which is to say that's where the gauge stops, and it pins pretty quick with a heavy (slow reacting) water heater thermocouple, and that's a lot more lightly built than a 4bt

Also, pre turbo numbers are the only useful ones in reference to the engine itself, post turbo is only relevant for DPFs and that sort of bullshit.
You can get some idea of preturbo temperature from post, but you need to do some calculations and have pressure readings pre and post turbine

Last edited by [486]; 04-29-2019 at 05:38 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #1314 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 24238
F in my case.
Gonna prepare myself for that sort of number out of the wonderwagon. probably be smart to put a gauge on it before I go stupid to lay a baseline.
#571 Last Minute Motorsports
koh19 pit crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - pit crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - pit crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 pit crew: 572

|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 AM   #1315 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
F in my case.
6.7 is vane turbo right?

garrett vane turbos are pretty fragile when it comes to heat with their pivoting vanes, where holsets have held up to limited gasoline engine use with their fixed vanes but moveable volute restrictor thingus

either way, a lot of modern ideas on EGTs are based on protecting the DPF and turbo, not the engine, and iirc this is running an hx30 or something?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #1316 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Jeeper View Post
Pre turbo u can spike to 1600 on a cr motor but dont recomend it. U can run 1250* for a decent hill climb and it wont hurt anything. I will get over 1000* and 45psi when driving hard but cruise in the highway around 700 and 12psi of boost. Sounds like u need to get the turbo to light up sooner and clean out the fuel.
Sadly the fuel maps on this thing are limited to whatever pre-existing calibraton exists from Cummins, and I'd wager, that even on the "hot" calibration, this thing has a lot of prerequisites before it'll let me beat it too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
where's your probe? in the manifold pre-turbo that is a little warm. If it's post-turbo that's really hot.

Its Pre-turbo in the downpipe for the turbo but above the flange, right near the last two cylinders.

I let my 6.7 hold 1200 for minutes, 1250 for seconds It cruises much cooler though, especially unloaded. I think more like 600, but you're probably at higher load and it's probably more like my 3500 with a trailer than empty, and in that case a 700-800 cruise might be what I'd expect.
Yea, it seems to cruise at 950 normally, at around 68 to 70 mph. Around 850 at 60 mph and around 700 to 750 at 50. I think this thing has a lot of drag and rolling resistance at those higher speeds... the fenders are NOT aero friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
1200F or 1200C?

My tdi sees 1600F nearly every time I drive the fucker
which is to say that's where the gauge stops, and it pins pretty quick with a heavy (slow reacting) water heater thermocouple, and that's a lot more lightly built than a 4bt

Also, pre turbo numbers are the only useful ones in reference to the engine itself, post turbo is only relevant for DPFs and that sort of bullshit.
You can get some idea of preturbo temperature from post, but you need to do some calculations and have pressure readings pre and post turbine
Yea, all of the numbers are post turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
...and iirc this is running an hx30 or something?
Yep, HY30 but basically the same thing, I think compressor wheel is a different pitch or something for the X vs Y... not 100% on that though but it uses the HX bearing kit.

So, last night I screwed around with the charge air tubing and found some "not astounding" but minor leaks in some boot joints that I was able to tighten up. I was purging the system but could only get the boost gauge to read 10 psi but at one point kept blowing the hose off the back. I messed with it some using some higher pressure air directly hooked to the gauge with a better connection and was able to spike the gauge... for some reason the analog needle was hanging up at the 10 psi mark. So I used shop air to cycle the gaugge up to the 35 psi max a few dozen times, each time it appearing smoother and smoother. So I replaced the line that was blowing off with a better harder line that I robbed off of the Argon purge kit for the TIG. I also went ahead and installed the rest of my air intake that moved the filter to the opposite side of the engine bay away from the manifold and to draw cooler air from near the driver's fender. The truck is much quieter under throttle now, but has a lot less boost sound so I have mixed emotions about that.. However, I feel like the turbo spools quicker and the truck accelerates a little harder than it did. Like, Ass dyno is much happier and it feels less "lazy".

As far as EGT, I think the colder source air dropped my values by about 75 to 100 degrees as now I can fully peg and hold the throttle from 30 mph through 75 mph and it runs to about 1200 to maybe barely 1250 and holds there and doesn't want to keep creeping like before.

I noticed something else too... With a dead needle and a fresh starting engine, even on the first 3 seconds of running the EGT needle sneaks to 300F before I would even think the exhaust could warm the probe. This makes me worry that my pyro base line is off, especially since I was having issues with the boost needle.

Its a nice $300 Westach dual gauge so I am a bit dissapointed.

Tonight I think I'll have the Cummins software hooked to it and go for some runs and see what kind of data I can log from it. Engine has showed no signs of running hot for what its worth. Its much warmer today though, so we'll see what it does.

Thanks for all of the help, numbers, and advice. I'll post some more photos.

Something else I have thought about doing is setting up my heat gun and running it onto the EGT probe and then checking the temps with my infared thermo to see what my gauge reads vs what those other instruments read... SCIENCE... ish.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:15 AM   #1317 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
So the Allison software on the laptop showed no codes or anything. DTCs were clean and clear and the transmission appears to have learned its new shift profile completely. So thats a good thing to know. Temp data logging looked good and I'll keep running it some more and check in again in a few hundred more miles.

The Cummins, on the other hand, had a pile of weird low voltage DTCs. Only thing I can think is that a while back I had the batteries die on me from the truck sitting for like 6 weeks with no attention, starting, tender, etc. The CAN system, ECM, TCM all together draw a decent amount of idle amperage so I can see how it would draw the batteries down. I went to start the truck and it wouldn't really crank well and eventually gave me dead gauge issues. The CAN system is voltage drop sensitive and will shut down hard if it doesn't feel it has adequate amperage. I think this might have happened because most of the codes were all from the same event window that was right around the time that it had the low batt issues. We cleared the DTCs and ran it for a minute and the only codes it threw back up were that the Grid Heater circuits failed resistance check, which makes sense because they aren't wired up at the moment. Took it out for a test run and the data logging showed no errors for the 15 mile trip. I am going to test my EGT pyro gauge tonight if I can find my IR thermometer.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 AM   #1318 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Threw about 500 lbs of non ferrous into the back of the truck yesterday around lunch and made a trip to the scrap yard. The suspension leveled out perfectly with that weight in the back that tells me that a few passengers, a cooler and the rest of the interior and the truck will be PERFECT and ride better too. I mean, it already rides good as just an incomplete shell, but its gonna be even better! These Alcan springs are probably the purchased component that I am the MOST satisfied with. I mean, everything from the order process, the turn around time, the shipping costs, the custom U-bolts, the fit and finish, and even the price point was what I feel as fair for what I got... so stoked.

So anyways, the truck with no interior, but with me at 175 lbs, and 6 to 8 gallons of fuel, the truck isn't as heavy as I expected. 6200 lbs on the nose.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #1319 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Well...
Can I get an Admin to change the title of the thread? "Dodge WC53 Restomod" or something.
So much for the Airstream Project; the wife and I are calling it quits.
The camper will be up for sale if anyone is interested. I'll be liquidating some other things as well, mostly related to the other Carryall project that was coming down the line. I think the Article shed some light on a lot of things and its just not gonna work out.
Also, I'll be looking for a roomate, so if anyone has a friend in the SE Va. area I'm planning on keeping the house for now.

Lets not make a big deal about this as things are amicable and its a joint decision at this point. Ya'll just help me out where ya can.
Thanks folks.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #1320 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Bummer, but it's good to hear things are amicable. I don't know many people out there, but if I hear of someone looking for housing, I'll shoot them your way.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF w/ Grizzly, Dana 60 HP, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" ProComps, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #1321 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Changing it...

I may be interested in the air stream. I'll hit you up on FB.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #1322 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Out with the truck trying to just "do some things" with it. I am back to work on the interior as well. Gotta build window trays and find a lot of the "soft goods" for the window tracks and seals and stuff. I have a lot of it tucked away and need to sort things out.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #1323 (permalink)

Member # 101209
fyi,

my 6.7 all stock with the pyro PT at the manifold will hit 1450 for about 5 to 10 seconds pulling a hill under a load before defuell. then it defuels and stays at 1300 to 1350 for up to 5 to 10 min.

my buddy is deleted, and his can hit 1550. he immediately drops a gear and slows down and pulls at 1350 based off my numbers.

i was a firm believer in the 1250 rule in the past, but my last 3 diesels have all been around the same temps..

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #1324 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
And another one bites the dust...

Allison is roaring and chattering now, just like the last one.

I give up.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #1325 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Time for an RTO610

Last edited by Grendel; 05-20-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in