Dodge WC53 Tow Rig and Restomod - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Dodge WC53 Tow Rig and Restomod

So, I've wanted a Carryall for YEARS now. I've had a few M37s, which are cool trucks, but there is nothing quite like a carryall. This particular one I aquired from another P4x4 member. He had a short build thread going on here over in the dodge forum where he had swapped in a 14 bolt and Dana 60 and was running a 4bt for power. He was up to the point of driving it but had not ironed out a lot of interior details and such, and it was rear-ended by some asshat and then the insurance company took two years to figure out what to do.

Well, I was lucky enough to strike a deal with the PO and drove from Virginia, to Baton Rouge, LA to pick this thing up.

Plans after straightening out the body are:

Edited as its changed:
Eaton H072 Rear (If you follow my other builds, you should have been expecting that one)
Eaton HO52/King Pin 60 Hybrid Front
38" Michelins, hoping to find some Hutchinsons or have Stazworks built
Worked over 4bt, or ideally a tweaked common rail variant "ISB170". (No room for 6bt, so don't waste your breath)
Allison 1000 Auto
Divorced NP205

Also at the same time, my wife has started a project. She scored a '68 Airstream Overlander for one heck of a deal. She is planning on gutting the thing and completely re-vamping it with all kinds of new interior.

I know this whole thing would be better posted on other forums, but with the size and resources of P4x4, I feel as though the project would benefit as much from being here as anywhere else.

And ofcourse, everyone always likes pictures... The truck needs some cosmetic work. I've only had my hands on it for a little over a week and have been busy with work so I haven't really had a chance to even inventory all of the extra parts that came with it.

#shitllbuffout...

And the wife and HER airstream...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 12-20-2012 at 06:47 AM.
AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
I know this whole thing would be better posted on other forums
Cool tow rig project, cool trailer project, totally smokin' hot wife - not to mention doing her trailer project - put that thought the fawk out of your head and post away!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Cool project! Carryall looks to be in decent shape

And definitely need more pics of "HER"
IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
Cool tow rig project, cool trailer project, totally smokin' hot wife - not to mention doing her trailer project - put that thought the fawk out of your head and post away!
+1
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Thats a really cool rig, followed the build on 4btswaps.

Sorry to see it wrecked, but great to see it going to a new owner that can treat it well!

Don't fully rule out a 4BD1T, and I know someone in your general area that might be able to point you to a VP44 pumped 4.5 Cummins...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Thanks! I am certainly looking forward to rebuilding this old thing.

For those that are hooked on her... There are some pics of her in the build thread for her DD Jeep TJ.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001240

Gavan, glad that you recognize the truck. I figured a few people would as its incredibly unique. Previous owner has been great to work with through the process of change in ownership. He is getting started on moving his driveline into a WC56 chassis that I hauled down to him when I picked up this WC53.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 153365
Subscribed, I love those dodge carryalls
redline8300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 162643
I recognize that Carryall too. The PO did an awesome job on building it. I was sorry to see it get wrecked. Glad to see it is getting a new lease on life.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 153228
Love the truck and trailer!!! Maybe you can bring it to Jenro's one saturday night when I'm not out on the boat. Would like to seeit.
I saw about a dozen old WW2 Fords/Willys Jeeps out at the Pungo Airfield yesterday, and now I got a hankering for a flatfender.
soniccbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 119827
ohhh ... i guess nothing in this thread is going to hurt my eyes when looking at it

love the Dodge , the Airstream and especially the hair color

btw
tell your pretty wife that i may have some Airstream repair parts laying around if she needs something
Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Subscribed!

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 63800
cool truck, your wife is pretty. well played.
OffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 111822
Glad to see another Eaton build going on. This one will be very interesting to watch!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
For those that are hooked on her... There are some pics of her in the build thread for her DD Jeep TJ.
Ok... That Carryall and Airstream look pretty damn dirty to me... Time to give them a wash...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 119827
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
Ok... That Carryall and Airstream look pretty damn dirty to me... Time to give them a wash...
oh yes, its very important that you wash the projects before you start working on them

any updates ? (sorry for the pressure... cant wait to see more pics of that WC53)

Q; why the 4bt ?
i understand the 6bt I-6 block length problem but why not a compact V8 diesel ?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post

any updates ? (sorry for the pressure... cant wait to see more pics of that WC53)

Q; why the 4bt ?
i understand the 6bt I-6 block length problem but why not a compact V8 diesel ?
No updares yet. Work has me by the balls up to the holiday and then Im wheeling the trail rig over the weekend.

I have some friends trying to talk me into a 7.3, which would be a shoe horn for sure. Custom accesory brackets etc. The 4bt will have a hot nasty tune. Im holding out for a 4.5L common rail version as they are torque monsters and are small enough to leave plenty of room for intercoolers and the Vintage A/C components under the hood. I think I forgot to mention that A/C and heated seats are also in the build. Ha ha!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
No updares yet. Work has me by the balls up to the holiday and then Im wheeling the trail rig over the weekend.
Headed to Crozet? Wish I was going. Just really tied up right now.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 54654
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoad View Post
cool truck, your wife is pretty. well played.
Yup. Cool truck, love to watch folks with more know how build excellent way to learn.

Still don't understand how you can be productive after seeing them pics though. Geezus.
blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
I have some friends trying to talk me into a 7.3, which would be a shoe horn for sure. Custom accesory brackets etc. The 4bt will have a hot nasty tune. Im holding out for a 4.5L common rail version as they are torque monsters and are small enough to leave plenty of room for intercoolers and the Vintage A/C components under the hood. I think I forgot to mention that A/C and heated seats are also in the build. Ha ha!
I don't mind my 7.3L IDI, but it WOULD NOT be my choice for a swap.
How about a DT444E or PSD?

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 215770
ditto everything except the big heavy diesels...

A 4bt/QSB4.5 will be perfect for that truck. There is at least one common rail version with 170hp and 420 TQ stock, should be plenty.
Flat Black Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Headed to Crozet? Wish I was going. Just really tied up right now.
Wheeled on some private property with some smaller tire rigs. Only one other rig on 40s with me, and that was a Mog/Hi-9 Cherokee so he walked the dog on pretty much everything except for one of the stupid steep hill climbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
I don't mind my 7.3L IDI, but it WOULD NOT be my choice for a swap.
How about a DT444E or PSD?
Wouldn't have been the IDI, but the Power Stroke 7.3. I've got a couple friends that are always messing around with theirs. One of which is a neighbor who is always doing something crazy to his Ranger. It has a 302 swap but its getting a Cobra 4.6 and IRS soonly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black Racing View Post
A 4bt/QSB4.5 will be perfect for that truck. There is at least one common rail version with 170hp and 420 TQ stock, should be plenty.
Yea, I figure worse case scenario, I can find an ISB 170 and add the turbo off of the 6.7 with a controller, toy with the tune some, and still manage to pull around 200 from it.

Only real updates is finally getting this thing into my tiny garage. I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be moved out and friends are hanging onto some of my larger space occupying tables and tools to use on their projects at the same time so I will be getting a little more room here soon.

Started to finally dig through and inventory all of the goodies. All of the original window cranks are there, along with handles, and tons of interior panels. There is a set of wood panels that goes along the top of the rear side windows for the close outs. There is glass trim and spare pieces of glass. I need to find a good storage place for the seats that in the truck incase I decide to use them. The previous owner built some pretty cool mounts so that the original lock and tumble system would still work in this truck. Pretty cool idea and I am sure took a lot of time, but I am not 100% certain I am going to re-use them.

For those asking for more pictures... Nothing exciting but its something to look at. I'll be picking up a little more speed in the next few weeks now that I am getting a mild breather from work.

Original Window Winders.

Tons of interior panels... Appears that the rear lower panels had speakers installed in them. Also, note all of the sound deadening already installed.

Vintage Air A/C controls still on the dash

Hounds of the Baskerville's occupying the truck cab while I am cleaning it out. He didn't like me pulling the seats out as while I was pulling out the other misc parts I saw him slinking in through the front doors and making himself right at home.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 26296
Very cool setup!
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr1 View Post
Very cool setup!
Thanks....

Last night some friends showed up and lended a hand with moving the seats and stuff out of the truck and into the attic. I pulled out the porta power and started to push a little to try and get a feel of what all I may need to do. Got about 4" of the truck pushed back out. It actually caused most of the bulge dent on the driver's side to dissapear. I could hear the whole tub creaking and popping as I pushed.

The tail gate now latches on its own and I can tell what panels I need to cut out of the interior double wall section to try and get the rear corners somewhat back straught again. I need to sit down and chip all of this bondo off and get a feel for the condition of what sheetmetal is still left and where before I accidently break or crush something that is more bondo than metal. One good thing is the lower gate now latches the way it should, but there is a LONG way to go for getting that thing straightened back out. Prob end up building one from scratch and swapping my hardware over. I don't think its far beyond my skills to do it either.

Last edited by AlxJ64; 05-31-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Little more progress on the gate and rear corners.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
great setup, cant wait to see how it turns out

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in