Project Pete - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 50585
Good luck with the build.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Got a few small updates from the last couple days,
Rear diff is back, & really clean.

Speaking of clean, I did a little more stripping & steam cleaning on the back section of the frame, that way it would be fairly clean for the installation of the new diff & suspension,

While in the cab prepping for some repairs I found this thing tucked up in the visor area,

The origianal wig-wag,
After a little tweaking & straitening I got it to move freely & tested it, turns out it works, I'll be keeping that in there.

After I finally decided I had done enough cleaning, I move the truck over closer to the TIG & got busy fixing a few things,
First was this mess,

A section of the hood rests here against the cowl, & over the years has rubbed that flange area paper thin & as you can see also wore a hole right through the cowl into the cab.
After cutting the entire area out, I cut a new piece & welded it in,

After a little filing & sanding here is what I ended up with,

Pretty much the same story on the top side of the cowl, where the center section of the hood bolts, stress & vibration caused a small section to fall out, so it was repaired the same way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Axletech 4000 support parts available, PM me for details

Last edited by skipped_Link; 07-06-2012 at 10:40 PM.
skipped_Link is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
All of you are probably tired of seeing aluminum goobered togeather & sanded down, but that's about all I've got done, so here's another spot, passenger side, lower section of the cowl,
Worn Paper thin & cracked,

New piece cut & tacked in place,

Welded

Ready for body work.

And here is the Passenger side of the cowl, repaired for the most part.

While cleaning last week I found the front spring hanger on the passenger side was broken,

So since the truck was pulled in with that side close to the welder I dropped the pin & spring out,

Then prepped the broken area, & used the pin to hold everything while I tacked it in place,

After welding.

After clean up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by skipped_Link; 07-06-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
And finally back together,

Also yesterday I got the clutch adjusted so now the clutch brake actually works,

Tomorrow the plan is fix all the cab issues on the drivers side, (pretty much the same as posted above from the passenger side)
Then get started on swapping bear claw style latches it the doors to replace the old flat door striker latches that are currently in there.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 143307
Nice aluminum work! Pretty cool you were able to find the wig-wag as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 119827
nice work !!!

i wish i could weld aluminum as good as you do (my stuff usually looked like bird shit ) ... i guess thats why i like rivets

could you fab "wear blocks" onto the hood like the newer Petes ?
maybe use some high density plastic (crawler skidplate?!?) block on the cab and a ss rub plate on the inside of the hood ?

that is actually what i`m thinking to do with the butterfly hood on my DiamondT;
with the air ride body i do have a constant movement between cab and hood so this would solve the wear/noise/corrosion problem
Old 07-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
i wish i could weld aluminum as good as you do (my stuff usually looked like bird shit ) ... i guess thats why i like rivets
Hands down, rivets look cooler,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
could you fab "wear blocks" onto the hood like the newer Petes ?
maybe use some high density plastic (crawler skidplate?!?) block on the cab and a ss rub plate on the inside of the hood ?
I would emagine that would work good,
Most of the wear & tear on mine is from the hood panels not being fastend properly, resulting in the panels moving & wearing on the wrong places,
I'm going to make sure they are fastened properly this time & see how that works.

So after turning the truck around I only had one broke/missing piece on the drivers side, I got that welded in,

Then it was on to bigger potatoes,
It appears that the drivers side has taken quite a hit at one time,
The thresh hold, & cab corner skin have both been replaced, One of the rear cab spars has been replaced with something a little different style & the B-pillar was both tweeked & had another peice goobered onto the back of it,

Here is the weld at the front of the thresh hold, cracked & falling appart,

Here it is after grinding it out & rewelding the entire corner,

The B-pillar was a little more involved, origionally it was a single extruded piece of aluminum, it looks like the flange the skin rivets to must have been damaged, & rather than replace the whole part, they cut off the flange & welded a peice of channel to replace the flange,
I wish they would have taken more care to do the job, turnes out the B-pillar was still bent, & the new "flange" was not set out far enough for the corner skin to rest in the proper place, in short, the back of the drives door stuck out farther than the corner of the cab,
Oh & they used little headed 3/16 pop rivets to put the new corner skin on,

Anyway, after removing most of the rivets you can see the mess they had going on,

Here the bottom of the B-pillar is sperated from the thresh hold, & flange,

Then the B-pillar was pulled back & in, & welded in place,

Here is the end result after shiming the corner skin out with some 1/8" aluminum flat bar between the skin & the flange,

This is replacing the rivets on the back side of the cab corner,

Last edited by skipped_Link; 07-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Next up was the doors,
The drivers door is pretty much junk, I knew that when I bought the truck so I put the feelers out for another door shortly after getting the truck home,
Fortunately my dad drug one home for me that is in pretty decent shap,

Here is what they look like inside,

Like most vehicles of this era this Peterbilt used the flat bar type door latch, not only do they kind of suck, they are also pretty pricey for replacements if you can find them.

So it was time to upgrade to a "bear claw" style latch.
Here is the factory latch,

I had to do a fair amount of cutting, notching, & drilling, to get the new latches to fit, but they look like they should work,

This little hole is where the new latches needed to go, that piece taking up realestate in that area is the external door latch, so I had to work around that.

After figuring where I wanted the latches I marked & drilled the mounting holes.

Then marked & drilled holes for the striker bolt to pass through.

Then cut, grind, file,

And repeat until everything fit.

The second door was easy once the first was done. Linkage should be pretty simple, & an adjustable strinker bolt in the B-pillar should pretty much finish up that part, but I'm out of time this week,

I'm hoping to have the aluminum work on the cab done by mid month, a freind is going to help with the body work & he's planning on getting started about that time.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 3321
Send a message via AIM to Ken Carter / BRUISER
very nice..

Tread Lightly Master Trainer

My Builds:

Ken Carter / BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 120561
Send a message via AIM to Tonka1
Please oh Please keep that lil visor on this ol school truck!!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 84464
man you dont waste any time.

my wig wag doesnt have the low air sign, just a red arrow jobby. when i first put air in my truck (via CO2 tank) i was pulling on it like 'fawk, the air horn doesnt work. booo!'

then i saw the thing fall as i bled it all back down and it donned on me what they were for.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 132020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka1 View Post
If that is an original visor they are hard to find. Most were painted. Command a premium price too. A new 14" drop visor is close to $400, or more.
spreader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipped_Link View Post
And finally back together,
Nice work. I'm suprised you were able to weld the hanger back together like that. Had a similar vintage Diamond Reo at a previous job that had an aluminum hanger just like that. Pete must have used better castings because I could not get that thing to weld for shit. Full of porosity and impurities. Ended up building a new one out of a bunch of 1" steel plate.
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka1 View Post
The visor is cracked in the center, but it will be repaired & put back on the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_belben View Post
man you dont waste any time.
I'll be watching your build aswell Mike, the old KWs are pretty cool rigs aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlogan88 View Post
Nice work. I'm suprised you were able to weld the hanger back together like that. Had a similar vintage Diamond Reo at a previous job that had an aluminum hanger just like that. Pete must have used better castings because I could not get that thing to weld for shit. Full of porosity and impurities. Ended up building a new one out of a bunch of 1" steel plate.
This was deffinately not very good quality material, It took pleanty of grinding, preheating, welding, & regrinding, to get it hooked in good,
I'll be keeping an eye on this part, if I run accross another one some where I'm going to snag it up & have it for a spare.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 23553
here's my old thread on this, couple guys posted some leads on maybe finding replacements

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...&highlight=reo
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480

You do beautiful work.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
So to start this days off I finished bolting in the door latches & built the striker bolts, but no pics, I'll wait til I get the linkage inside the doors done then post those pics,

Pics I do have, the visor, back on after repairing the crack in the center, I just put it back on the truck so it would be out of the way for now,

Then I turned the truck around in the shop & got real busy, Pulled the drive line, brake lines, backed off the brakes & removed about 28 5/8 bolts.
Then rolled the old diff out,

I was going to mount the front suspension mount in the same loacation as the front spring mounts, 2 of the holes even matched, so getting it square would be simple,

But then I decided to slide the rear diff back about as far as I could, so the buggy is approximately 15 ft long, (front of front tire to back of rear tire)
& this truck only has 10 ft of frame rail behind the cab, with the axle in the stock location I would have had about 7 ft of bed in front of the axle & 8 ft behind it,
Putting the air bags all the way to the back of the frame I gained about a foot of wheel base,
Here is the hanger in it's new location,

Rather than move the cross member that was already there, (doesn't really fit the new hangers anyhow) I decided to remove it, along with the rear most crossmember, & build new,

Crossmembers removed,

Using 1/4 plate & 3x6 1/4 wall rectangular tubing, I put together a new crossmember that matches the new suspension hangers,

Both hangers & member bolted in place,

To get the diff around to the shop I had to bring out the big guns,

After a little re rigging

Drove it right into place,

Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Now if you look at the pic I posted earlier of the rear diff, when it was still orange, you can see the springs are bolted to the back side of the cast hanger, & this is how I measured everything to put it on the truck.
While doing some searching I noticed in all the pics I came accrossed, the springs go through the hanger & bolt to the front side,
I could not find a single pic with the springs mounted like they were on mine when I got it, Only thing I can figure is someone had reassembled it wrong at some point in it's life,

Long story short, I put it together the way it is supposed to be, but I lost 3" of the wheel base I was trying to gain.

One of the pieces I did not get with the air ride set up was the pan hard bar mount, I could have went to the wrecking yard & got one, but I chose to build one instead,
I marked where it needed to go, & drilled a couple holes,

Then machined some spacers & cut out a frame plate & gussets,

Bolted it in place so I could tack it together,

Then simply welded it all together,

All bolted in place

The rear crossmember is just made from several pieces of 1/4" plate, bolted & welded together,

Bags in place

Last edited by skipped_Link; 07-17-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 100161
This is awesome! I'd like to have an old Pete on day, no where near as good with the fab side of things though, so I'd have to just leave it mostly as purchased.
jblack6527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Did you consider stretching the frame?

Your aluminum fabwork is impressive.
...not that your steel isn't. I like the details like the radiused gussets on the panhard mount. Something you'd ordinarily see on a custom buggy.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 86724
fawesome.

not worried about front axle weights moving the rear back?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 84464
this is gonna be a sick rig.

what you got planned for a bed and hitches?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 119827
darn ... you work fast
.... and clean !! ; i love the attention to details

with the short frame overhang it kinda screams for a tilt bed ... is that what your doing ?!?

btw
why are you using box tubing at the frame brace ? ... are you not allowing frame twist for axle articulation ?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Way Over Chicked

Member # 121339
Send a message via Yahoo to HITMONEY
SEXAY!

love the fab work here and being able to watch an old rig get a proper resurrection.. nice job!

, Built One State At A Time.
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 93989
Love these old trucks
Lucky_Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in