Project Pete - Page 32 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #776 (permalink)

Member # 85182
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipped_Link View Post

I liked the way it was before, all black,

Attachment 2930608

But I have added a few things that are shiny & are staying that way, at least the rest of this year,
I love this scheme. I'm copying it on my cucv.
IdahoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #777 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
I feel sorry for you. Clue-Dennis.
waterhead/blacktext
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #778 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
waterhead/blacktext
486/blacktext

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #779 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardbysled View Post
One of my favorite threads on pirate, such clean work!

My uncle used to have a '48 Pete that he rebuilt and hauled logs with for quite a few years.

https://youtu.be/VSF6U7IkM4Y
I've seen that truck in a couple youtube videos, I always thought it was cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Axletech 4000 support parts available, PM me for details
skipped_Link is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #780 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
I've seen that truck in a couple youtube videos, I always thought it was cool.
Hmn, so what about <Jim> coming to get Left Over?

Seems like it just makes sense.

The Yukon might work a bit hard hauling all this stuff at 6mpg.

So I thought : why not <Jim> at 6mpg with a bigger trailer?
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #781 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
So this last set of days off started off well & big plans to get a lot accomplished,
After I finished work on my Friday I ran into town & picked up the hitch, my powder coat guy knocked it out of the park on turn around time, & it looked great, so I went home, got it installed & mostly wired that night,
Name:  IMG_4215.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  82.7 KB

That's pretty much were the real progress ended & plans went to pot,
I had ordered up a set of rear fenders to keep the rocks off the cab, they were scheduled to be delivered my first day off, & I had hopes of running over to california to pick up the new top sections of my hood,
Well as I was buttoning up the wiring at the back of the truck, UPS showed up & delivered a mudflap, One, & I didn't even order a mudflap,
Packing list indicates it's supposed to be my fender kit, after a quick email the seller has no idea what happened, but they are suppose to re ship the correct parts, but that did not help me this weekend, then on top of that, the hood would not be ready for pickup before the weekend,
Now mind you I am running out of day off to get a truck ready for a 1500 mile round trip the second weekend of June, & I don't even know if the truck is road worthy,

So what should I do with my remaining 4 days off with no parts, I know, I'll start another project,

If you remember back earlier in the thread, a few years ago shortly after finishing up the ruck the first time around I had picked up a period correct Mercury sleeper, which has been in recent pics mocked up on the new chassis, I guess I decided to tinker with that a bit,

I started by stripping paint & removing the framework/structural part of the pass through opening.
Name:  IMG_4228.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  58.5 KB

Most of the sleeper construction is aluminum, with some wood in the door frames, & the pass through opening, that wood in the opening was junk, on top of being the wrong size hole,
A little 1.5"x 1.5"x.125" aluminum angle, & some 1x1 aluminum tubing made good material to build a new front structure,
Name:  IMG_4239.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  64.9 KB

The aluminum frame farther back on the table is the window opening from another Unilte Peterbilt cab, & was used so I would end up with the exact same hole between the sleeper & my cab.
The new structure replaced the wood bits, & rivets in place to the main vertical spars in the sleeper, & the Peterbilt opening screws to the new structure from the inside, just like it did in the truck,
Name:  IMG_4234.jpg
Size:  45.1 KB

A .063 aluminum panel was cut to cover the big hole, & had the Peterbilt hold cut in it as well,
Lots of drilling & Cleco's to get this all fit,
Name:  IMG_4235.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  50.4 KB

Old 05-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #782 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
To get the transition from the original pleated panel to the new flat panel, & keep it flat at the opening, I marked each crease, then used a wide, dull chisel, laid the panel on a piece of soft plywood & gave each spot a sharp whack with the chisel & hammer, the end result was a pretty decent fit,
Name:  IMG_4242.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  40.0 KB

I think the shiny new panel & a reflection is what gives it a bent up look on the right side in this pic, it's actually very flat, & looks more like the left side all the way around,
Name:  IMG_4241.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  48.0 KB

One obstacle I had was the wall thickness on the sleeper is 1.75" & the wall thickness on a peterbilt is 1" so at the pass through I was now short 3/4" for the interior panels being flat, to fix this I just stuck together a 3/4 aluminum tube frame that uses the same screws that hold the peterbilt frame in place, once the interior panels are done I will trim out around the pass through to cover the whole mess up,
Name:  IMG_4243.jpg
Size:  45.1 KB

To round out the week I put down 2 layers of 3/4" plywood for a floor substrate, then played around with some new mounts to see if I could get 99-04 superduty supercab seats to fit at all,
Name:  IMG_4246.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  43.5 KB

If the sleeper actually makes it on for this trip I don't think I will paint it for a while, a lot of Mercury sleepers were left unpainted, & this one is beat up just about the right amount to look good with a little scotchbright action,
Name:  IMG_4224.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  68.7 KB

Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #783 (permalink)
mothfuckle

Member # 225557
some early SD rear seats will fold and create flat bed from it

fredycruger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #784 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
some early SD rear seats will fold and create flat bed from it
All the way from the 70's until 96/97 they were that way as well, the bad thing is I tossed a few of those seats about 15-20 years ago, who knew I'd need one some day.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #785 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
I love the sleeper.

I already have a big assed aluminum sleeper so "Left Over" will stay day cab and hot rod.

Can't wait for it.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #786 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
My 05-07 lariat leather seats fold flat like that too.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #787 (permalink)
Car Crasher

Member # 177668
Just following along here in the peanut gallery. Thanks for documenting this badass build. I like seeing the updates and the quality of work going into this thing.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #788 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
I am surprised that you didnt make the frame on the sleeper bigger, to open up the back of the cab.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #789 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBenDCars View Post
Just following along here in the peanut gallery. Thanks for documenting this badass build. I like seeing the updates and the quality of work going into this thing.
Thanks for the props, this is still the best place to document any build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I am surprised that you didnt make the frame on the sleeper bigger, to open up the back of the cab.
That would have been pretty easy, but for me personally there's no way I'd actually open the back of the cab up, if I ever want to go back to a day cab, it's just a matter of putting the window & rubber right back in place,
With the bench seat in the truck, & doors on the sleeper there's no benefit to having a bigger hole between the two, it's basically there just for communication,

Old 05-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #790 (permalink)

Member # 147348
This/ese trucks kick ass. Thanks for still taking the time to put this up on the forum.
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #791 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Still no hood, seeing as it was "almost done" a couple weeks ago I'm not really sure what the the hold up is,
But I'm out of time to worry about it, looks like the truck will be running without one for it's first trip out, I'm pretty disgusted that's how it worked out,

I did however continue on with the sleeper,
I spent a couple hours per evening after work sanding & continuing with paint removal, then when days off rolled around I go started building mounts,
Since the Mercury sleepers were aftermarket & usually installed by the end user, there are definitely some interesting mounting setups out there, this sleeper came with a couple angle iron brackets that bolted to the sleeper then to the frame, no rubber or cushion anywhere,

I decided to do something more along the lines of how Peterbilt would have done it, But I did not have any luck finding any 4 inch "Z" channel similar to what they use, so I built my own,
Using 2 pieces of 4x4x1/4" aluminum angle, & a hand full of hucks, this is what I ended up with,
Name:  IMG_4253.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  55.7 KB

(The three 1/4" bolts were temporary until the sleeper was set in place, just in case I wanted to build a plate to cap the end)

Next was some 4" aluminum channel to tie it into the frame,
Name:  IMG_4252.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  54.2 KB

The top web of the "Z"channel got a couple 1" holes drilled in them for rubber bushings so there is some cushion between the mount & the sleeper,
with all that in place I set the sleeper on the truck,
Name:  IMG_4254.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  60.7 KB

Some days it would appear I sort of know how to read a tape measure, the crawl through opening lined up just right with the rear window in the cab, & installing the boot was not really a big project at all,

I did have to do a little interior work, since I made the crawl through access hole smaller, there were areas the needed insulation & the interior panel would need redone, (it was pretty rotten/weathered anyway)
After re-insulating the front section, I decided to use some MDF bead board, my intentions were to someday redo all the interior in bead board, then paint it all with something nice & easy to clean, but for now I just need to get it usable,
Name:  IMG_4258.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  44.3 KB

As you can see in the above pic, the panel does not reach all the way to the floor, it just overlaps the aluminum floor pan, I'll get into a little more detail on this in the next post,

For flooring I stopped by Walmart & picked up a 5'x7' black area rug for less than $20, with the plan of cutting it in about half to do the floor, but once I got it lay'd out on the table I figured I'd see how it looked of I just ran the excess up the back wall of the sleeper,
it actually turned out better than I though it would,
Name:  IMG_4260.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  48.3 KB

Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #792 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
So on that front section where the panel does not reach the floor, I decided to make the floor reach the panel, the flooring anyway, I started the carpet/rug at the bottom of the bead board, running it down to the floor, across the floor & back up the back wall,
To trim out the transition from bead board to carpet I had a piece of aluminum trim left over from the camper project years ago, it had the perfect lip to sit flat on the bead board, & then dig into the carpet,
Name:  IMG_4263.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  72.3 KB

I even had a roll of the vinyl insert to cover the screw heads,
At the back wall I did basically the same thing, my dad had a leftover piece of the same type trim from his camper project, his was just not & a little different profile, I was able to run it through the table saw & make it fit good, the vinyl insert fit this material as well,
Name:  IMG_4261.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  67.6 KB

With that done, seats & seat belts bolted in, the sleeper is now usable for the most part, & I actually got to drive it around the block,
Name:  IMG_4271.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  57.8 KB

The Cat definitely runs different than the Cummins, & it seems to run pretty good, I think I have a little drive line vibration right around 80 MPH, I need to dig into that a bit, but it does seem pretty smooth at 70-75, with the engine a smooth 1550-1600 RPM,

Then yesterday on my last day off, my fenders finally showed up,
Name:  IMG_4290.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  45.3 KB

I'll work on getting those mounted up this week after work,
Name:  IMG_4292.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  63.4 KB

Old 05-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #793 (permalink)

Member # 177695
Will you be heating/cooling the sleeper? Those rear fendas look just right for your truck. Can't wait to see those installed.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #794 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
Still no hood, seeing as it was "almost done" a couple weeks ago I'm not really sure what the the hold up is,
But I'm out of time to worry about it, looks like the truck will be running without one for it's first trip out, I'm pretty disgusted that's how it worked out,
Are you saying your going on a trip towing something or just "the first trip around the block"?

Some states don't allow no hood or spinning engine parts. Not sure if anyone ever gets busted for this.

The sleeper looks great!

Edit, I see a step on the tank, but it looks like a hell of a first step. Can you step around the exhaust stack from the front?

Last edited by waterhorse; 05-30-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #795 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Will you be heating/cooling the sleeper?
Yes, when I bought the AC compressor I sized it up to run 2 units, also installed a bigger condenser than I had before. Then I ran the AC lines back in the frame about the middle of the cab & back forward to the firewall, so I can tee in there, Also installed dedicated heater valves in the engine for the heater so it's just a matter of hooking them up, I'll probably go with one of the vintage air self contained units just inside the lower opening in the passenger side of the sleeper,

Quote:
Are you saying your going on a trip towing something or just "the first trip around the block"?
I have to make a 1500 mile trip to an offroad event next wednesday, I won't have a hood by then.

Quote:
Edit, I see a step on the tank, but it looks like a hell of a first step. Can you step around the exhaust stack from the front?
The tanks will get a real dual step setup like this later on, but for this trip I can lift the kiddo up in there.
Name:  merritt-fuel-tank-3526__57017.1479150551.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  103.8 KB

Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #796 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Quote:
I have to make a 1500 mile trip to an offroad event next wednesday, I won't have a hood by then.
Wow, your brave. (Not about the hood) Just kind of scary making that long of a trip with something you just got on the road.

Do you suppose you could tow Pete with the Monster Buggy? (Like 20 miles to a service place) If you do, we want pics.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #797 (permalink)

Member # 101209
I like the chrome bumper, especially with the chrome headlight buckets and if you do the aluminum steps on the black tanks it breaks up the murdered out look, and still looks badass

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #798 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Agreed, I do like the "black with chrome trim" look. The bumper looks good with the lug nuts, headlamp housings, air cleaner hats, clearance lights and other shiny touches. I'd take a step further and change the tank straps and air cleaner bands to stainless, maybe the stacks as well. Just my .02
Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #799 (permalink)

Member # 168716
Watched Mountain Mafia show tonight pretty cool to see the rig and buggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scottmk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #800 (permalink)

Member # 687322
This is absolutely outstanding. Awesome craftsmanship, stunning results.
DNL2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in