Project Pete - Page 34 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #826 (permalink)

Member # 132020
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipped_Link View Post
Next item to look at is the vibration from 70 MPH on up, Next days off I think I will have the balance checked on the driveline, if it's good I'll have to start looking for angle issues,
If all of that (balance and angle issues) is good and you suspect it could be tires etc. check out Centramatic wheel balancers. I got 150K from one steer tire. The other side ate a piece of steel @80MPH/80K lbs long before that many miles.
spreader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #827 (permalink)

Member # 773969
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreader View Post
Check out Centramatic wheel balancers. I got 150K from one steer tire.
I hadnít heard of centramatic wheel balancers before your mention. I have been running counteract's balance beads for about a decade now and have been happy with them in my light duty trucks. Do you have experience running both or know how they'd compare? The beads are much less expensive.
Redneckalbertan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #828 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 177990
Centramatics make a world of difference. I personally would think they would clash with balance beads but could be wrong. I know we ran them on tour buses at a couple places I worked. Had tires replaced on a 45 passenger Prevost. The shop left the centras off as they said” those are junk”. Driver didn’t tell us until a week later that it had a vibration. Informed me about the centras being in the luggage compartment. Made the tire shop come out and reinstall them. Vibration gone afterwards. Have them on my personal toterhome and love them.
Brimmstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #829 (permalink)

Member # 355210
Centramatics work. So well in fact that I suggest checking your tires more often for damage. They work instantly and constantly so you could lose a couple treadblocks and not know for a long time as my buddy did or get a big sidewall bubble and not feel it till the tread starts separating like I did.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #830 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5587
This is why I love the Pirate Forum.

I am constantly learning new stuff and seeing people built projects so out of the box they defy logic. I feel normal with you guys.

I had never heard of Centrimatic Balancers but after watching the videos and doing some research I am going to put them on my RV when I replace the tires on it. It may cost me being as how we won't be putting truck driver mileage on it, but having a smooth ride will be worth it.

And Quality RV tires aren't cheap.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeehaaaaaaaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" class="inlineimg" />
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #831 (permalink)

Member # 833185
Amazing work!!!
Did you get the vibration issues sorted out yet?
cjken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #832 (permalink)
Master of none.

Member # 37865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjken View Post
Amazing work!!!
Did you get the vibration issues sorted out yet?
I had the rear section of the drive line re-balanced, then run the truck through the gears while that part of the D-line was at the shop, just to check the front section & everything in front of it, even with some operating angle & nothing to counter it the front section was smooth to 85 MPH (on the speedo)

After installing the re balanced rear section the vibration was much better, & only vibrated a little from 75-84ish, if you pushed past 85 mph it started smoothing out again,
This lead me to believe it was now an angle issue, I had tried dumping the rear suspension air while the vibration was taking place, just to see what effect the pinion angle had, lowering the rear ride height points the pinion more downward/horizontal, rather than at the transmission,
but even dumping the air made no difference,
I actually found that I needed to raise the rear ride height up for 5th wheel plate purposes, & lucked out with that making another big difference in the vibration issue, the last test drive I took it on, I run the truck up to 85 MPH & did not notice hardly any vibration,

Since getting the hood on & playing with drive-lines, I really haven't messed with the truck much, mostly working on getting the old truck back together,

I did haul the buggy with the new truck to an off-road event in Oregon, up by Salem,
Everything seemed to work good,
Name:  IMG_4480.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  56.8 KB

Once back from there I got busy & pretty much finished reassembly of the old truck,
Name:  IMG_4513.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  62.3 KB

Then this last week I got to work fitting up a real 5th wheel plate, it looks like the end of the month I will be back up to the Portland/Salem area picking up another pole building, so I need to make sure the big trailer hooks up & is ready,
Name:  IMG_4519.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  78.1 KB

Axletech 4000 support parts available, PM me for details
skipped_Link is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #833 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Nice pics!

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #834 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
"Left Over" will be an awesome rig too.
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #835 (permalink)

Member # 108006
As for the driveline vibration, there is a company that makes a centramatic style ring that clamps to the rear of the driveshaft and has a heavy metal liquid solution inside to help take the vibration out.

DRIVESHAFTS
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #836 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Great progress. My Dad, son and I all drool over this truck.

FYI centramatics made no difference I could tell on my Excursion.

Last edited by CarterKaft; Yesterday at 04:24 PM.
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in