ExpensiveHobby22's Uhaul Build - aka Project Identity Crisis - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 228302
ExpensiveHobby22's Uhaul Build - aka Project Identity Crisis

First off, hi all, and thanks for being so welcoming with my posts in the existing Uhaul threads. It was really awesome the way you guys tried to help me get this thing back up and running when I was stranded.

Anyway, a little background...

Basically, I have been trying to figure out a car/dirt bike/street bike hauler/minimalist RV for awhile. Sort of decided on doing the Sprinter thing, but even post use commercial ones are still a bit much at this point. Plus, not all that great for towing. So, I came across the threads by the Creamsicle Cruiser Club (credit BustinLoose), and I knew I'd found what I was looking for. It's the right balance of cheap, fun project, actual good idea, and boondoggle for me.

So, I got right on it and started searching. Found one super close, and the other 7 hours away in Spokane. Checked out the first one, and it basically needed 6 new tires, glow plugs, and had a rotten section in the box. He dropped the price quite a bit, but still seemed over priced. So, the next day I hopped on my bike and rode the 7 hours out to Spokane to check out the other one. Got there and looked it over, then bought it because nothing majorly wrong was apparent (other than it needing 1 rear tire).

Strapped the bike in the back then headed out. Other than the gauge lights not working, the speedo reading incorrectly, the gas gauge not working, and an exhaust leak it drove really well. Even the radio worked! Glad I had my earplugs though. Made it 2+ hours down the road and stopped for fuel. Went to move the truck, and it stalled. Got it restarted, then it sort of shuddered to a stop.

Long story short, couldn't get it restarted that night so my gf drove 4 hours out with my truck and tools, and I spent all day Monday trying to get it running. Changed the fuel filter, bled the lines, even stuck the feed line in a plastic jug of diesel to make sure the lifter pump was working. Never got it started, also never saw the telltale signs of smoke coming from the exhaust while trying to start it.

Basically, with the help of you guys and 1badb2, I determined that the IP was bad. So, called a tow truck and got it towed to Savage Trailer in Kennewick. They do service and storage, and are cool with me sending them specific parts to install. So far so good with them over the phone. Hopefully it will all pan out the same, and I'll go pick it up in a few weeks when I'm back in town.

The whole ordeal was actually sort of "fun". Met some cool people while stranded at the truck stop. One trucker helped me change the fuel filter and kept me entertained with some good stories. Another sent his son, a diesel mechanic, out to take a look at it after work. He wasn't too familiar with the 7.3idi as he was pretty young, but he did his best. He also inadvertantly came up with the name for the project when remarking on how it's a really big truck with a relatively small motor in it. So, the project as a whole is Project Identity Crisis, which really fits the whole Uhaul Toter thing, and the Uhauls actual name is Boondoggle (which barely won out over POS by the end of Monday)

This thread is going to be a bit light on content for awhile until I get it home, but it seems like a good time to start one so that all my questions (and I have many), and their subsequent answers, will be in one place.

Some pictures:

A thing of beaty

The bike loaded in the back

So sad
expensivehobby22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80653
Subscribed.

Good story, keep at it, she will be what you want eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 142394
Yes brother..they are great trucks and the perfect first MDt for most folks.. I really miss my uhual ramp truck but all the builds here i keep close to me..

They are cheaper to repair compared to the newer stuff and think about the enjoyment you will get out of building it and fixing it the way you want for your needs..

Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 225685
I like the story ...& the truck too!

( "She" needs "skirts" though!! )

Simplex78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 228302
I am dying to tear into it. I definitely feel a connection to it already after literally being on top of, under, and literally inside the engine bay trying to get it to run. The access to the engine is just awesome compared to the same motor in an F-series, or anything for that matter.

I sent out a few emails in regards to turbo kits I found for sale. Seems the way to go if you can find one. Or, I may just buy a beater F-series for its setup and part it out.

I really wish I could just get it home without having to spring for a new IP, so I could take some time and find a turbo setup and then buy an IP to support it. That's life though.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 228302
It will have skirts. Remember, I'm the aero nerd

Do you have any good pictures from the backside of those skirts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I feel your pain.

When I went to buy mine it didn't run, hell, they didn't even have keys for it.

I bought a non running uhaul truck and made it run 4 hours later so I could drive it home.

first diesel motor I'd ever touched.

Mine has been named the wienerbox. (it's a long story)

and I've grown fond.

welcome to the IDIot club.

simplexs' thread:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...on-thread.html

Last edited by 87manche; 09-28-2012 at 06:22 PM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 228302
It's the first project I haven't been able to get home under its own power. I sort of ran out of time, forcing my decision to have it towed. Otherwise, I would have sourced an IP.

Simplex's thread is the one that sealed the deal for me.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17313
Out of curiosity, did you try pull starting it?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 228302
Didn't try pull starting. Probably should have.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Identiy Crisis/Boondoggle. Love it!

Mine's the "Redneck Toterhome".
Got my ceiling installed today...after only 4.5 years of ownership.
I'm looking forward to seeing your aero mods/ideas.

Edit: And I doubt pull-starting was going to help if it wasn't getting fuel!

Subscribed!
Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Last edited by MT4Runner; 09-29-2012 at 06:25 PM.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 228302
Update on my truck:

The mechanic at the place where it's at got it running. Said the lines from the fuel tank are in terrible shape and that it was sucking in air. He put the inlet line into a jug of diesel, and it started.

I'm a little annoyed (aka my ego hurts) because I noticed the same thing, and tried the same thing, but it didn't start. It was towards the end of the day though, and perhaps I just didn't try enough. I was a little spun out at that point.

So, basically good news, assuming it wasn't the IP being gummed up, and now being free, only to gum up again. How likely is that?

He also said that one glow plug was bad, but I'll replace that myself when I get it home, along with all the other preventative maintenance I plan on doing.

Speaking of preventative maintenance, I ordered all the rubber brake lines for my truck because they didn't look like they were in the best of shape. I also ordered calipers loaded with pads for all four corners to keep around as spares. Hard to pass up when they are ~$23 a piece and $5 shipping.

Frank even put a few more IPs up on eBay after I emailed him about them. I might still buy a spare since they are so "relatively" cheap. Basically only slightly more than a core charge.

That's all for now.
Ray
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 86724
possible.

I'd have the mechanic change the rubber line that goes from the nylon hardline on the frame to the lift pump as well.

It's possible that it's degraded and flaking off too.
I replaced mine because it was squishy and looked like it wanted to suck shut.

edit:
now that I think about it, I'd probably ust have him do the lift pump as well.

Everything that wasn't a steel line would probably get replaced if it were me. No reson to take a chance that a line is nasty and going to cause you problems again.

Last edited by 87manche; 10-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 228302
They want to replace all the lines, including the one you mentioned, which is fine by me. Might as well get them all out of the way now.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 196490
I'm so glad things are moving along for you now. I'll definitely be reading your adventures.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 37724
Congratulations on getting it running again.
el bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 228302
Thanks guys, I hope to pick it up this week. Still bummed (and so is my wallet) that I couldn't get it running myself, but at least I was on the right track.

Some of the preventative maintenance and spare parts I ordered from Uhaul started showing up. If you guys missed it earlier, there are loaded front and rear calipers for 22 bucks on their ebay site. Anyway, the boxes showing up is kind of fun.

Also, think I have a line on everything from a 5th wheel camper except for the fridge and furnace for $300. Nice, radiused windows and a lot of other good stuff. Perhaps I can get it for even less.

Definitely itching to get started. All I need to register it as an RV here is a permanent sleeping setup and a permanent stove/cooking setup. So, should be pretty easy to get that in and get it registered. Then, I can start on it for real.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 228302
Picked up the windows, stove/oven, kitchen sink and water pump today. Will be back for the wiring, plumbing, water heater, power controller, vents, lights, etc in a week or two when the guy is done pulling them out. The door turned out to be a piece of junk though, so have to keep looking for one of those.

On a side note, what a pain in the ass stripping a trailer looks to be...
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 196490
I have a door I won't be needing for mine, windows too. I wish I would have thought about that earlier but I was hashing out numbers and now I'm looking for a driveable beater. Going to be talking with a welder soon. The door is 29 1/2" wide and gray in color. It has a privacy window, radius corners, screen and keys.

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 10-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Bustin Loose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 228302
Well, are your saying the door is for sale? If so, shoot me a PM, and maybe we can work something out. Though, shipping might suck. Found out we have a pretty large RV salvage reseller here, so I may check them out for the door. I could also potentially check things out for people if they are interested.

What kind of beater? Neons are dirt cheap and really easy to keep on the road. I've owned a few and raced them in both a spec series and those $500 endurance series. They hold up really well.

You could throw a hitch on one and pull a little trailer too.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivehobby22 View Post
On a side note, what a pain in the ass stripping a trailer looks to be...
Square drive insert bit and a cordless drill will take 90% of everything out. #2 Phillips for another 8%, and 2% with a crescent wrench.

Get some of that butyl sealant tape for sealing the windows/doors into your shell.

-
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 228302
I should have stated "what a pain in the ass a windstorm-damaged trailer looks like."

I guess it's a good time to ask, is Butyl tape the preferred method for the windows? I do plan on reading up on it extensively, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Any other additional sealant needed for them?

Also, what about the roof. I'd like to add some extra (for peace of mind though it may not end up needing it) up there before doing the Kool Seal paint. Caulk, automotive sealant?

And, along the same lines, you guys mentioned that the FRP is not sealed on the ends. Any thoughts on pumping sealer into that area?

Lastly, I can't find the thread it's stated in, so I'm going to ask, what are you guys using to seal up the edges of the FRP where you cut in the window/door holes.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivehobby22 View Post
And, along the same lines, you guys mentioned that the FRP is not sealed on the ends. Any thoughts on pumping sealer into that area?

Lastly, I can't find the thread it's stated in, so I'm going to ask, what are you guys using to seal up the edges of the FRP where you cut in the window/door holes.

Thanks,
Ray
marine grade epoxy. maybe some lightweight fiberglass cloth if you need to build the rough opening back in a little bit.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
The butyl sealant seals between the flange outside the window and the outside face of the FRP.

I live in a dry climate. I didn't seal my cut edges with anything.
In your climate, I'd go for latex paint/primer. It will keep water out, but still breathe if it ever has to.

Absolutely make sure that the flange between the bottom lip of the aluminum extrusion at the outside edge of your floor and the outside FRP is sealed.

Then, I'd take some foam backer rod and stuff it in under the panel, and put a bead of silicone in flush with the inside face of the FRP. Use the backer rod, because it will take a metric shitton of tubes to completely fill that 1/4"-1/2" gap. Backer rod also makes the silicon take on an hourglass shape so the center of the bead stretches instead of where it touches the FRP or aluminum being the thinnest point like it would if it were a blob.

-
Old 10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
marine grade epoxy. maybe some lightweight fiberglass cloth if you need to build the rough opening back in a little bit.
If you use marine grade epoxy, you can thin it with 10% acetone so it will flow better into the wood.

"This is glue. Strong stuff."

-

Last edited by MT4Runner; 10-08-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in