Idasho's IdaCamper2.0 - Page 23 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #551 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Current camper is simply being transferred to the new truck
Old 01-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #552 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
Why not swap in a Titan fuel tank in the stock tank location for a 50 gallon tank?

Wes
Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #553 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Love the exterior storage! Never enough space for big stuff and wet gear. Will you build the flatbed yourself or farm it out?

I too agree that filling from 5G jugs sounds like a bitch. If I was doing it it would be a separate tank. Another option would be to look into cab chassis tanks, there is an OE tank that goes where the spare tire is if your not going to keep the tire there.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #554 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Back to the camper, do you feel this construction method would work well for something bigger? Like 3 times that size bigger? I've been looking at converting a cargo trailer into a toyhauler, but honestly just thinking of building what I want instead of converting to get what I really want in the end. And I'm dumb and like to build things.

I had been thinking of using steel frame with aluminum skins as I'm familiar with it, but I can't get past the obvious insulation issues. Wood might cost less and should weigh less too in the end. It would just be a ton of surface area to resin and paint. I'm also not concerned about 4 season camping, I'm mainly concerned with keeping it water tight for longevity.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #555 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
I too agree that filling from 5G jugs sounds like a bitch. If I was doing it it would be a separate tank. Another option would be to look into cab chassis tanks, there is an OE tank that goes where the spare tire is if your not going to keep the tire there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes8517 View Post
Why not swap in a Titan fuel tank in the stock tank location for a 50 gallon tank?Wes
Considered it.

But cost, and loss of ground clearance are both reasons why I opted away from it.

Currently with the old powerstroke setup, I see 14MPG average.
With the 36 gallons, thats a solid 450+ mile range.

Id like to have a similar, or better range with the new truck
Loaded and wet, Im aiming for 10MPG average with this setup.

That means I need 50 gallons total capacity.
I'm fortunate to have the larger optioned tank in this truck, at 35 gallons.
So 20 gallons should do the trick.

Some of these trucks got a 26 gallon tank

I like the idea of a tank built into the bed as it uses otherwise wasted space. If I ever had any trouble with it though, it would be hell to service. Id also need some sort of pump, or possibly gravity feed to fill the OEM tank as needed.

Rear tank has been considered, although a full size 35" spare fits there right now, and Id hate to have to find another spot for the spare. Weight behind the axle in the form of a tank would also weigh more than the spare.

Fuel cans are a simple idea that Im considering, but it also uses up valuable tool box space.

Whatever I do, I want to make sure I can transfer from aux tank to oem tank easily (doesnt have to be from in cab) as well as fuel up the small moto and whatever else I might need fuel for, easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Love the exterior storage! Never enough space for big stuff and wet gear. Will you build the flatbed yourself or farm it out?
Plan is to build it myself. I might farm out the boxes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
Back to the camper, do you feel this construction method would work well for something bigger?
For something much bigger, that doesnt need real 4-season walls, Id build it however you feel most comfortable. I seriously doubt you want to spend the hours of labor it would take to build a box 3x's the size of mine.

Steel frame and alloy skins is a solid bet. And if you are comfortable with that already, all the more better. I would advise you to look into galvanic corrosion of dis-similar metals, before you commit though.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #556 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Fair enough on the spare, that was my feeling as well. Bed tank should serviceable with the camper off no? That does seem like the best location with your points.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #557 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 429
New truck looks great and I look forward to the flatbed.

Jack
locrwln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #558 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Speaking of spare tires...

Is anyone doing a 5-tire rotation on full size trucks these days?

I still havnt swapped the spare out for a 35" spare ... and the options are simple. Put on the cheapest new 35" tire that will fit the 17" steel wheel that I have for a spare, or push to a legit full size spare, with matching wheel and tire, and go for a 5-tire rotation.

The difference in cost is roughly $200.

Should I assume the added tire life when using a 5-tire rotation would negate the savings of a cheap spare that never hits the ground?

I tossed a 2" leveling kit at the truck today, so its due for an alignment. Figure Ill sort out the spare tire issue same trip.

Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #559 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
In the 13 sets of tires i have put on my dodge 2500 i have only done 4 tire rotation. Basically move the front to back same side.

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #560 (permalink)

Member # 102467
Sorry if I missed it, but has the camper building become a full time gig, or are you still doing construction as well?

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #561 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Officially, neither

Previous employer called me up a while back about a management position, and dangled just enough $$ in front of my nose to go back.
Construction gig is/was fun, as its in my blood, but full time as a builder, the overhead costs were rough, and my body simply wasnt enjoying it.
I still; do a decent amount of work on the side, and will have some fun work to share this next spring/summer, as Ill be knocking out the framing for my folks' custom home here in north Idaho

So the business is currently undergoing changes. Recently I've been working with quite a few folks as consultant for Expo/van life/full time RV life, etc...
Everything from vehicle recommendations/hunting/shopping, to simple DIY project consultation, and even design/planning work. So Idacamper is pushing that direction.

At least that gets me off the hook for building more campers.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #562 (permalink)

Member # 83932
A bit of work done recently.

The back half of the chassis and all suspension components were treated to 3 rounds of acid (phosphoric) to treat and convert any corrosion.

Then then things were masked, and every bit of steel I could find was repainted (shot) with a single stage industrial enamel.

The chassis was then measured and mapped out, then reproduced in sketchup in order to work up flatbed plans

So the bed as per current plan, will essentially replicate the current bed on the old truck. It is a 3-point torsion free design, that will allow the truck chassis to flex, while allowing the bed to remain flat.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM   #563 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Paint looks great!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #564 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
I never stop being amazed at the talent on PBB. Nice!
Old 01-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #565 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Thats, it has been quite a trip, keeping a now 5 year old thread going

Alright, so on the topic of aux fuel tanks, somebody please learn me something....

Poly, aluminum, steel, stainless...

Whats the diff, are any of them NOT okay for gasoline, and what guidelines should, if any should I follow if I hand the job off to the local machine/fab shop to build?

Id lve to say I have a simple, cheap, off the shelf tank that fits the bill, but I simply do not. So Im considering a custom built tank.

Thanks for any help
Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #566 (permalink)

Member # 56256
I think stainless is the go to for boat guys. I'd probably go that route. No corrosion issues, no real reactions to fuel. Strong enough to not need a ton of bracing (like poly would)

Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #567 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
I'd be worried about poly if it's exposed to the ground, having rocks break the tank over time. Stainless and aluminum are good for internal corrosion prevention. IMHO I'd pick aluminum or stainless for a custom fabricated tank.

Last edited by GLTHFJ60; 01-16-2018 at 08:46 AM.
GLTHFJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #568 (permalink)

Member # 70280
With ethanol content in today's fuel I would not go with Aluminum. Aluminum needs to be hard coated anodized to prevent the ethanol and moisture from attacking the aluminum. Powder coating or any other internal coating is not a long term solutions. Hard coated anodized is more than a surface treatment penetrates the metal.

Poly tanks are fine as long as it is not a marine type designed to be mounted inside the hull. Those tend to thinner because the hull in cases the tank. The black poly type tanks are fine as long as you provide some type of bottom side protection. Simple aluminum skid plate will do.

Stainless tanks are the ultimate long term tank as long as it is 304 type stainless. 304 is non magnetic meaning it contains no iron. Magnetic type stainless will rust from the moisture in the ethanol. The downside of stainless is that it is heavy and expensive plus fabrication cost are more. Not everyone will work with stainless. If the inside of the tank is not purged with Argon during welding, it will "Sugar" on the backside of the weld and contaminate the fuel is not removed.

Steel sheet metal tanks I would steer clear of due rust problems.

There are fuel system manufacturers that will claim that their coated aluminum or steel tanks are fine with ethanol. Yes but not long term. Give them 3-5 years of offroad use being torqued and twisted the coating will fail, even E coated steel.

I would look for RV specific black poly fuel tanks.
Monstermiler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #569 (permalink)
pogrelis97

Member #
Awesome build!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #570 (permalink)

Member # 57373
A few years ago, a friend was working up North on the oil fields and ironically the fuel costs in the area and some of the distances between sites was a pain, so we outfitted his car with an aux tank in the trunk. Yes, we properly sealed, vented and mounted everything. But the least expensive largest capacity were racing tanks, black poly. For safety we went with a foam filled, to reduce sloshing and for safety in the event of an accident. The one we got was from Summit. IF you're planning to build it into your storage behind the cab, I would think it would be the cheapest, the other option being a more traditional work truck 'transfer tank'... plenty of those around, although usually hauling diesel.

GREAT Build!
rassd71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #571 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Thanks!

The Summit fuel cells do look promising.

Look to be well built, a couple of the sizes at first glance look to be workable, a couple are even set up to work with a remote filler, and foam filled is certainly appealing, from a far from OEM install perspective.

Is there any downsides to foam?

Currently looking at this one

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...2-nf/overview/

The tank would be fitted within the flatbed, under the deck, centered, behind the large gear locker.

Ideally, Id like to have both the filler for the OEM tank and the aux tank located within the headboard, perhaps even behind the gear locker door, for security and to make sure I have adequate drop from filler to tank.

The fillers I located within the flatbed frame rails of the old truck are a major PITA to fill. Just not enough slope. Its a slow fill, not even to the first click, so its done manually, with a mindful ear listening for the gargle when the tank becomes full, ready to let go before you get a boot full of diesel
Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #572 (permalink)

Member # 70280
The foam while good at preventing slosh does deteriorate over time. On race fuel cells we replace the foam every year and this is on tanks that are drained after every event and sealed till the next event. I really don't see a need for foam on a street legal vehicle that will always have fuel stored in it.
Monstermiler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #573 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
And if you’re concerned about the ethanol with aluminum tanks, I’d expect it to have an effect on the foam as well.

Last edited by PAToyota; 01-22-2018 at 11:48 AM.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #574 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Thanks guys. Ill steer clear of the foam.

OEM tank is poly/plastic, so Ill probably run the same for the aux tank.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #575 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
i have made custom tanks for years. very simple to do and any shape that suits your needs. need rock protection? make the bottom sheet out of 3/16ths. couple of baffles some tank liner from amazon. very simple diy project. i have used tanks inc for hardware or used stock fittings. summit has some stuff for builders also, lots of others to. this one here is one of 2 25 gal tanks for the bed of my f800. takes me a days time for everything start to finish. about 100 to 150 for all the materials using 14ga. cold roll sheet stock. i've done aluminum and stainless as well but cold roll is easy to weld and cheep
Attached Images

F Toy #20
86 CUCV with some stuff
F 800 toter ho
retired wheeler

if you don't roll it over once in a while you aren't trying hard enough

Last edited by wilez5150; 01-20-2018 at 10:38 PM.
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in