reworking Blackmore's old worktruck - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 81908
Love that flatbed up above with the crane on it! Looking forward to seeing your build with the gin-pole setup.
Those bedsides and toolboxes look STOUT. I'll be thinking about the stake pocket dilemma.
tim_zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Bit more thought into it, and you'll probably also have to weld a bead around the rail where the cover's new opening is, so that the water doesn't run down into the box there. Just something to raise the surface to direct the water away.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by '[486
...check the fit, they may not fit modern 2x4s
That's a good thought, and you're right, but wood stakesides aren't good for much anyway.

Gonna build a headache rack into the spare tire carrier, right behind the cab. Then those two exposed stake pockets that used to be up at the front of the bed, those will be in the rear when I flip the bed around. Was thinking about bending up a piece of tubing to serve as the back half of a lumber rack that would be easy to install/remove. Then make some nice sturdy metal stakesides that would slip into the stake pockets in the middle.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 131151
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Good question. My reasoning is more related to overall brute strength and gear spread than the splits between shifts, and think the NV4500/5600's are overpriced for what they are, and what they're not (bulletproof). The way this truck will be built and used, don't think the splits will be much of an issue? Will see a decent amount of towing and hauling heavy-ish loads, but if it's tuned to make any kind of decent power do you guys think it'll be able to pull that gearing? Think I already mentioned it, but tires are going to be 37's for now, and the axles have 4.56 gears in them. Oh, and this is the overdrive kit (.69:1) that I was talking about. Would make for a huge gap between 4/5, but it sure would cruise...
Based on my experience with a 90 and a 92 Dodge/Cummins/5spd at weights up to about 16,000 lbs GCW, you will want a 3000 rpm governor spring kit with that transmission. This will let you wind the motor out in third and get into 4th about 1600 RPM, which is (in my opinion) the bottom of the RPM range you need to be in after the shift, if you're moving some weight. Although, I suspect the 4.56's will help out since they are lower than the 4.10's that most people seem happy with for 37's. Have you thought about using one of the Fuller 6-speeds or the 7-speed Spicer that the Uhaul guys like?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 30721
My brother and I bought a bunch of military surplus towbars that we've been using to haul all kinds of vehicles all over the place, and we've been selling them (over on the steelsoldiers forum). We also made a set of extensions out of some extra towbar legs and we've used that A-frame setup to load/unload a bunch of stuff.

Purchased a cheap davit crane from Harbor Freight a long time ago, planning on installing that in the mobile workshop trailer that I'll be pulling behind my motorhome. Hadn't thought about that in a while, and then davit cranes came up again when I started a list of things to incorporate into the utility bed that I'm rebuilding for this truck. We'd been thinking about what else we could do with these towbars and... why not turn a towbar into a davit crane? Know the military had problems with these towbars bending, but there were some tremendous forces at play there. Going to put a little more work into these CAD files and then have a mechanical engineer run some numbers to see what kind of weight we should expect these towbar-cranes to be able to support. Think I've figured out a pretty neat way to mount a hydraulic ram and hand winch to the towbars that won't require any welding too. A towbar-set, along with some A-frame extensions, and a davit-crane kit ought be a lot more versatile than the old gin-pole setup. Right?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 11491
Subscribed!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SChandler View Post
Have you thought about using one of the Fuller 6-speeds or the 7-speed Spicer that the Uhaul guys like?
No I have not, but I'm all ears.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #58 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
swampfox put a baby 10sp in his j20 jeep truck. talk about gears
F Toy #20
86 CUCV with some stuff
F 800 toter ho
retired wheeler
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you don't roll it over once in a while you aren't trying hard enough
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Personally I don't know that I would modify the boxes. but that's me. stake sides work well. I would just do a pocket at each end since it sounds like you will be using something other than wood
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 9233
Nice project. Hope to see it on the road soon
woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
No I have not, but I'm all ears.
find mt4runners uhaul thread, look at the last year and find the posts.
gets you a 7 speed OD, uses the same #2 clutch housing.
not the strongest, but you're also not putting 500 hp @ 30K lbs through it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilez5150 View Post
swampfox put a baby 10sp in his j20 jeep truck. talk about gears
Open to suggestions here, so if anyone wants to share any ideas about what might make a great transmission for this truck, post-up. But one of the most appealing things about those Spicer 3053A's is that they're free/super-cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Nice project. Hope to see it on the road soon
Thanks, and you probably will. Only just up the road in Morgan Hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
find mt4runners uhaul thread, look at the last year and find the posts.
gets you a 7 speed OD, uses the same #2 clutch housing.
not the strongest, but you're also not putting 500 hp @ 30K lbs through it.
Thanks, will look into that.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 163191
cool ass rig and story, The ole 6.2 will be okay for now, i have one in my beater dually and i'm able to squeeze 16-17 mpg out of it with hwy gears. keep up the work
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Stopped by harbor freight yesterday and spent about $75 on a long-stroke 8-ton bottlejack and a 1-ton hand-winch. Not sure if the hand-winch is really even necessary, because if I mount the ram at 4:1 when the towbar leg is fully collapsed, it'll yield a little over 6.5ft of total vertical travel. So might skip the winch and just slide a chain-hook over the pin at the end of the towbar leg. Going to mount the tabs to bolt-on collars for now so I can make changes when we do some real-world testing, and will have an enginerd look at the CAD models too. Really curious to see what kind of safe working loads this thing might be able to handle.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 45
Solidworks ROCKS !

This build is so kickass. Keeping the flatbed and repowering this piece of your family history makes me excited for your Mom.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Stopped by harbor freight yesterday and spent about $75 on a long-stroke 8-ton bottlejack and a 1-ton hand-winch. Not sure if the hand-winch is really even necessary, because if I mount the ram at 4:1 when the towbar leg is fully collapsed, it'll yield a little over 6.5ft of total vertical travel. So might skip the winch and just slide a chain-hook over the pin at the end of the towbar leg. Going to mount the tabs to bolt-on collars for now so I can make changes when we do some real-world testing, and will have an enginerd look at the CAD models too. Really curious to see what kind of safe working loads this thing might be able to handle.
Basically an engine hoist on steroids?

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 132500
For a lot of stuff the winch is just a lot faster than pumping the jack, and having the winch gives you more flexibility about where the load winds up on the bed of the truck. I was going to mount my cheap electric winch on my crane (since I actually saw new ones being SOLD that way) but haven't had to use the crane recently.

If you're doing a manual transmission I don't think you can beat the 3053A. IIRC they're rated at 26k GVW. The torque input rating isn't real high, but that's the "constant" rating.
Machinos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
Solidworks ROCKS !

This build is so kickass. Keeping the flatbed and repowering this piece of your family history makes me excited for your Mom.
Solidworks does rock, and thanks, I'm excited about this project too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2hye View Post
Basically an engine hoist on steroids?
That's another accessory I'm planning on designing/building for this davit-crane - an engine hoist-style base on wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinos View Post
For a lot of stuff the winch is just a lot faster than pumping the jack, and having the winch gives you more flexibility about where the load winds up on the bed of the truck. I was going to mount my cheap electric winch on my crane (since I actually saw new ones being SOLD that way) but haven't had to use the crane recently.

If you're doing a manual transmission I don't think you can beat the 3053A. IIRC they're rated at 26k GVW. The torque input rating isn't real high, but that's the "constant" rating.
Can see what you mean about how a winch can be useful in all kinds of different ways. Sold. Will mount the hand-winch.

Dunno if the 3053A is the best transmission to use, but haven't found anything more appealing yet. Pretty sure your right about the load rating too. Think it's about twice as strong as an NV4500.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Received the 1.5" wheel spacers that I ordered from Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech today. Have been looking forward to mounting-up the HMMWV wheels/tires. Hope to have a chance to do that tomorrow, but have to go finish the bodywork on my motorhome first.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-18-2013 at 09:51 PM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #70 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
really like the idea behind this project!

happy to see i am not the only one with car project ADD ha ha

keep at it

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #71 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 109268
Just read the builds.... You are an inspiration my friend. A true badass.
Local12hand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Installed the new wheel spacers and HMMWV wheels/tires last night, but was too dark out to take any pics. Really liking the way this thing looks in the daylight!

Plenty of clearance with 1.5" wheel-spacers, and it looks like 1.25" wheel spacers would clear, just barely.

The wheels are a tight-fit on the hub-centric part of the wheel spacers. Probably because of all the paint and grime on the wheels, but would be nice if there was a little chamfer on the edge of that lip to help get things started.

Total backspacing is right at 5.5" now. The tires don't stick out past the fenders too far, and the locking hubs don't stick out past the tires at all anymore. Might turn down the front spacers a little bit though, just to tuck the tires into the fenders a little further.

Going to push the front axle forward with some offset center-pins, but looks like there's plenty of room to clear these 37's without having to hack into the fenders at all.

The rear hubs hardly stick out at all. The studs on two of the wheels I've got are in pretty bad shape, and it looks like I can buy complete wheels cheaper for less than the price of new studs. Wondering, of all the different kinds of wheels and run-flats, which ones should I be looking for? Mine are all 12-bolts, and dunno what type of run-flats. Rubber sounds like it would be better than magnesium, and two-piece inserts seem like they would be a lot easier to install. Any advice?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Started this thread a long time ago, about how to build strong/light structures/skins for things like roofs and beds and whatever else. Haven't come up with anything outside the obvious, and am not sure how I wanna rebuild the bed for this truck. Will probably just end up building a tubular steel skeleton and then skinning it with... something. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 11491
No ideas for you, but it sure does look good!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 123332
This a really cool build! I love the history and all the patina... however, this doesn't really seem like it is intended for your mom...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
tymbom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in