reworking Blackmore's old worktruck - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30721
reworking Blackmore's old worktruck

So this is my Mom's Grandpa, Blackmore. He lived in Rio Vista, where he ran heavy equipment. Big dozers and stuff like that. Guess he did a lot of work on hwy 5 in that area.

That truck he's sitting on with his dog in this picture is an old Chevy that he bought new in 1966. He mounted a workbed on the back of it that I'm told he must have built 20 years before that, and had been used on at least 5-6 other trucks before this one.

After Blackmore died, my Grandpa took that truck up to his Lake Tahoe, where it's sat in the garage for the last... however many years. My Grandpa has kept it running and uses it to do some work around his place, but that's about it. The cab and most of the sheetmetal is in pretty great shape, but it's seen a number of different engines over the years, and somewhere along the line it was converted to 4WD using the running gear from an old International.

So I didn't feel compelled to restore this thing to any kind of original condition. Instead, what I'm doing is taking all the sheetmetal and building something that will be a little more useful to us. This a gift to my Mom, and will be her 'new' ranch truck. She's driving a 2001 4WD Cummins/6spd right now and she likes it just fine, but I'm sick of that thing. Seems like the whole damn truck is falling apart around that engine. The idea is to build something to replace it that will have a stylish old-school body (not plastic!) and some sentimental value, with a solid drivetrain.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-08-2013 at 08:27 AM.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Cool idea. But if she has employees. It will get beat pretty quick...

Seeing this reminds me of how much I wish I had one of my grandpa's service trucks.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 30721
After considering my options, decided to just buy a CUCV and swap the cab and bed over onto that chassis. GM produced these trucks for the military through the late-eighties, and were rated at 5/4-ton. 6.2L diesel, Turbo 400 transmission, NP208 transfercase, Dana 60 front axle and 14-bolt rear, with 4.56's and a Detroit locker in the rear axle.

Decided to buy an M1031 instead of a 1008 because the contact maintenance trucks have a higher payload rating (heavier-duty rear leafsprings), a limited-slip front diff, and an NP205 transfercase with a PTO unit that powers a massive 12KW generator that's mounted in a really nice aluminum utility box that comes on the back of these trucks.

So the generator and all the electrical stuff is going to be mounted in an M105A3 bed that I'm going to install on the back of mah deuce after I bob it, and then the utility box is going on top of that M105A3 trailer chassis. Nothing goes to waste.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-07-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30721
The military has already surplused-out most of CUCV's, so it took us a long time to find a clean one. My brother Robo-Boogie ended up driving from Chico out to Herlong to pick it up. He used one of these towbars to flat-tow his Tacoma home. This truck only had 45,000 miles on it, no rust, and everything except the interior was in pretty excellent condition.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Spent about four and a half weeks out in Yosemite working on that big fire over the summer, and caught a ride up to Chico when I was done. Drove the M1031 up to Tahoe from there, where I picked-up Blackmore's truck. Used another towbar to flat-tow it home after scabbing some mounts onto the framerails real quick-like.

Then on the way home I spotted this truck. Had been thinking about using fenders like these to clear larger tires, and it was pretty funny to find a pair just a few minutes after I picked up Blackmore's truck. They were even the right color. After taking some measurements, don't think I'm going to need them, but what a coincidence.

And that dinghy in the back of Blackmore's truck is from my Grandpa's sailboat. Going to clean it up and carry it on top of the trailer that I'll be pulling behind my motorhome. MommaGatos took a lap around the pool in it, just for old time's sake. She told me the last time she'd taken a ride in it was to go pick up sand from the beach, which they used to line the isle when my parents got married.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-07-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Started disassembling Blackmore's truck almost immediately. The ginpoles and the hand-winch in the bed of this truck are the things that everyone in my family remembers about it. Blackmore used to used them to lift engines out of huge dozers and all kinds of other stuff like that. Then my Grandpa got shifty with some huge rocks up at his place in Lake Tahoe. Not going to be reusing much of the original bed except for the sides and toolboxes, but the 'new' bed will look a lot like the old one.

Aren't these cool!?! Thought they were taillights, but they're just reflectors. Tempted to backlight them and turn them into taillights...

Set aside for now.

Cut off the front of the bed and the tailgate. The bed is actually going to get flipped around and reinstalled backwards. Have to rework the wheelwells and make a bunch of other modifications, but think it'll turn out pretty nice when it's all done.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-06-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Wanted to get a feel for the M1031, so drove it for a few weeks before tearing it apart. Longest trip (besides the run up to Tahoe and back) was down to Barstow to go pick up a bunch of 5-tons. The 6.2L, automatic transmission, lack of overdrive, and 29" tall tires with 4.56 gears SUCKS. A lot. Thing is screaming at 60mph, and was lucky to get 15mpg. Gonna have to do something about that...

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-06-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Used a hi-lift and a large piece of tubing, along with a pair of sawhorses to remove the M1031 box by myself. Was a little bit sketchy, but it worked out alright. Swapping cabs required a bit of help though (six guys total). And the front yard is looking pretty classy right now, huh?

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-07-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 30721
First thing to do was figure out where the cab was going to sit.

Made some temporary bodymounts to square everything up.

Then drilled and punched all the rivets where I wanted to bolt-on the new bodymounts. Really need to get a mag-drill.

Used spraypaint to transfer the holes because I couldn't get to some of them with a punch/scribe.

Worked perfectly. Lot faster/easier too.

Making the new bodymounts.

My new Multimatic 200 rocks!. Seriously, this is the sweetest MIG welder I've ever used.

Done. The mounting plates are bigger than they need to be because there's some other stuff that's going to get tied into them.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-07-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Putting the frontend back together was pretty straightforward. Centering the wheels in the wheelwells wasn't my highest priority because I figured I can use offset centering pins, and plan on linking the frontend eventually, but didn't end up too far off. First idea was to cut-up the CUCV's radiator core support and make that work, but turns out the stock core support from the '66 Chevy is going to be pretty easy to adapt to work with this chassis and radiator. Even the inner fenders line-up pretty well.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Planning on running 16.5" HMMWV wheels and 37" Goodyears on this thing. At least for now. The backspacing on these wheels is 7" though, so they hit the steering knuckles and tierod-ends. Looks like they might have cleared with 1.25" spacers, but ordered 1.5" spacers from motorsport-tech.com because it looks like 5.5" effective backspacing will put the track-width right where it needs to be.

This is the spare tire carrier off an old 800-series 5-ton tractor. Was made to carry an 11.00R20 tire, like the ones on mah deuce, which are about 43" tall. Which is just a little too much tire to stuff under this thing. Going to modify the tire rack to fit whatever tires we end up running on this truck, and then make some battery mounting trays and storage compartments on the other side. The 7.5ft bed will mount right behind the tire rack, and ends up being almost exactly the same overall length as the stock truck, because the '66 cab is a little bit shorter than the newer one.

Think something like these old-school 9.00R20 might be a little more appropriate, and they're only 39" tall. They're bias-ply, but they have a good payload rating, they're lighter than these 37" HMMWV wheels/tires, would have less rolling resistance, and they're dirt-cheap.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-07-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Look what my Mom found. When Blackmore died, there wasn't much in his workshop that she was interested in, but she took these old copper stencils because she thought they were neat. How fuh-king cool is that? Will look great painted on the doors.

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-07-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Good things to come...

Last edited by JESSE_at_TLT; 11-06-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 177695
Interesting back story on this one.Interesting project.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Please mount the pintles in back and keep it old school....as in like for all the shifter's use the old solid black knobs etc...
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 81908
I'd love to have a CUCV with the utility box like that! Do you happen to have any pics of the underside showing how they have the PTO setup going into that generator?
tim_zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 278410
Awesome work so far.

Love the shot of your driveway with all the military toys too.

That is a cool Dodge TUG are you going to use the body or just the drive assembly?
harleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 51670
I have a couple of sicknesses. One is full size jeeps, the other is the 60-66 Chevrolet trucks. I LOVE this build and the patina it has going on. Ill be keeping up with this one!
ElkyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
Please mount the pintles in back and keep it old school....as in like for all the shifter's use the old solid black knobs etc...
Yeah, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_zr2 View Post
I'd love to have a CUCV with the utility box like that! Do you happen to have any pics of the underside showing how they have the PTO setup going into that generator?
I know, right? Super useful setup with that generator/welder/air compressor/toolbox. Have lots of pictures and yeah, will post them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhouse View Post
That is a cool Dodge TUG are you going to use the body or just the drive assembly?
Just going to pull the 12V Cummins and sell the rest of it. Planning on putting a 5spd Spicer 3053A out of an M35A2 behind it, reusing the divorced NP205 from the International that was already in the '66 Chevy. Not sure if there's room in the budget, but would really like to put an NP203 doubler in front of that, keeping it divorced. Will leave room for it at the very least. Not going to mess with any of that stuff right now though. Just collecting parts. First phase of this project is as simple as swapping the body over and reworking the bed. The 6.2L is a dog, but it's already in there, only has 45,000 miles on it, and I've got other projects to work on.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 139461
jesse what a cool build. i like what you are doing here .welcome to the 60-66 chevy/gmc club
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 204783
Boy, you've got a lot of projects on the go at the same time. What was that tug originally designed for? And why the preference for ex-military gear?
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 231767
Ok, I'll bite. What is the herd of 5-tons for? Your not going doomsday prepper on us are you?

I would also like to take this opportunity to compliment ALL of your work. Your Mah Deuce thread, along with skipped-link's Pete, was my biggest reason for joining the board and each of your projects never cease to amaze me. You've also given me hope that the life I envision for myself post college just might be feasible, being its not too terribly different than your own in many respects. Anyway, keep up the great work and I look forward to future updates!
fordmustang1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 183978
How many hours does it take to get 4500 miles on a tug like that?
It was built by a crazy old air force engineer, and he had some informal machining skills and built this thing and I picked it up really cheap, didn't really want it, but I cant refuse a project ill never finish for the right price.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gbkeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 122979
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbkeith View Post
How many hours does it take to get 4500 miles on a tug like that?
This is what I would be curious of as well. Still likely a heathy motor with lots of life left. Did you pull the oil fill cap for inspection or is it missing?

Cool project.

Love to see old iron resurrected and put back into service. Keep it alive and pass it on. Nothing made today is gonna be worth restoring in 20 years, let alone 50.
rocklobster87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post

Just going to pull the 12V Cummins and sell the rest of it.

i was loving this whole project/idea except for the horrible 6.slow that i was shaking my head at, then you went and bought a 12v love it
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in