Pirate 4x4 banner

big enclosed tag trailer thoughts/questions

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Leady2 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a 32 or 34ft enclosed tag trailer to haul my yota and rzr to offroad parks.

My thoughts are:

A: I don't have to modify or build anything to start sleeping in it right off the bat. I thought about building a gooseneck ******* toy hauler but with a reasonable size rv trailer or even a truck camper on there, I'd be looking at 40ft to haul my shit legitimately (I.E. without the rzr sideways on the trailer).

B: My yota is roughly 17ft long, the RZR is 10.5. So a 28ft bumper pull is out the door because it doesn't leave me any room for the rest of my crap like camping stuff, tools, a cabinet or two.

C: My truck is a lifted 06 2500hd Duramax and without some modifications to it or a trailer there's no way I can hook up to a gooseneck.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on tandem or triple axle, and or upgrading the tandems to 6 or 7k axles from 5200k.

Does a v neck make much difference in fuel mileage?

I've seen some rigs with full size axles in enclosed trailers on here, so I think with the right height I would be fine with tacoma width axles.

Last, I was thinking to load the rzr in first to keep the majority of the weight over the axles as much as I can.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
So I have a 26' v-nose.

My 04 F250 has absolutely zero issue controlling it without a weight distribution hitch. My dually is obviously better in the turns but it too has no problems controlling the bumper pull.

Get a trailer with curved roof lines and edges! Weight is not your enemy with an enclosed. It's the wind resistance. Hard edges make for a terribly unaerodynamic structure.

I'm fine with my 5200lb axles but I'll be upgrading to 16" wheels and 215 tires. The 15" tires suck.

No matter what, 65-70 is all you'll want to pull that thing at. About 55 you'll really start feeling the wind resistance. By 75, you realize you're fighting a massive parachute.

But it's so worth it.

#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah I don't assume to be racing WRX's on the highway while towing that pig ha. I'm thinking convenience of a ready made enclosure I can add to as time goes on( A/C unit, cabinets, water, shitter).

I've never pulled anything that big with my truck. I can only expect lots of wind resistance but I drive a box truck all day so I'm used to being pushed around by cross winds on the highway.

#4 ·
You could maybe get a 28 and build an area in the front similar to the toy hauling area in the back of a toy hauler? The razor would fit in around it. I dunno about these huge trailers I just don't see shit like that here on the east coast, the idea of trying to take any of the roads around here in a trailer that big sounds super sketchy.

#15 · (Edited)
That's a good point. I would have to think ahead about the route and even pulling into gas stations.

On the other hand, you're from WV so I'm sure you've seen how many hot shot trucks are hauling shit for the oil and gas industry with 30-40ft goosenecks to and from well sites. Some are pretty remote.

#5 ·
It's no worse than towing a 30' camper.

I'll reiterate... Spend the extra money on a curved edge trailer! I have the sharp edge trailer and it blows. And from what I now know about aerodynamics, I'm pretty sure the v-nose makes it worse because there's more surface area to create drag.

I have the one like is on the bottom. I really wish it was a curved edge trailer like the first picture.

Attachments

#6 ·
Seriously consider 2-7k torsion axles with 8 lug hubs. The upgade is not that much more. I would see if u can just get some 19.5" rims and tires from the start. I know Pulson has got a good source for them . Tires are always the problem when towing heavy.

#16 · (Edited)
I don't think it would end up all that heavy though. Maybe, with all the shit and trailer, 12,000-13,000max. I am definitely going to upgrade axles. Was thinking leaf spring because of the advantages on uneven surfaces. Plus you can do spring over axle if you're dragging the ass end all the time. I'm sure with a 32ft trailer in an offroad park it will happen. Will definitely add the rollers to the rear crossmember.

#7 ·
I'd do 16 or 17.5 before I'd do 19.5's. Honestly, our horse trailer with 16" 235's is a beastly tire and wheel setup. I'm going to upgrade to 16's with 215 tires. I think I'd have to cut out the wheel wells to fit anything bigger on my trailer. You definitely want to keep the inner fender as small as possible with a fill size rig. My jeep is on JK axles so it just barely squeezes between the fenders. I wouldn't have enough interior height to drive over them I don't think.

#9 ·
I have a 24' tag enclosed. Towed it originally with a 2500 dodge and it was ok. Stepped up to a chevy dually and the difference was night and day. I wouldn't want to tow a tag enclosed that big with a 2500, let alone a lifted one. I would loose the lift and big tires at the minimum, maybe even go gooseneck at that point.

I'll 2nd what action fab said and go with curved edges. My trailer feels the same behind my truck at 70 loaded as it does empty. As mentioned above 55 mph, you're not pulling weight you're fighting air. Not just head on, but sideways too.

#14 · (Edited)
Do you think the extra width of a 1 dually is what made the difference? I can see that being helpful with stability. Also I can see how my high center of gravity on my truck doesn't help with stability ha. I towed a 22ft steel deck car trailer way overloaded with an old ford backhoe for about 85 miles with my truck and it seemed to handle the weight fine at least.

Also, I've been tossing around this idea to keep the extra work this year to a minimum. I bought my rig two years ago and only had it out that once. Between rebuilding it and all the other projects I have had in between I'm kinda burnt out.

Thought maybe a big bumper pull would be great. Just buy it, park my shit in there and go. There are definitely disadvantages compared to a gooseneck or a tow rig that doesn't have a big lift and 37's on it but then again, more work before play.

Maybe I'll leave the rzr at home and pull my little car trailer and stick with my tent.

They make (or I could make) racks for side by sides and snowmobiles to go in the bed of a truck. Might not work with a short bed...might be 14ft tall too haha

hmmm decisions...

#12 ·
What about the ones with the bubble foil built into the leading edge? Does that make much difference? I'm thinking it must since I see similar foils on semi trucks, and they spend a lot of money on wind tunnel testing these days.

#17 ·
That would be awesome if it worked to have a big chrome foil on the front of the trailer plus I like the idea of flat front, just seems like a v nose is half assed extra space. Really, most enclosed trailers I saw with a flat front just had less tongue exposed. So if you think of it that way you gain in space what you lost in the v corners. I'm sure I'm wrong about that though..

#19 ·
besides putting a truck bed camper in my truck I don't see another way of doing it. Even then I need 27ft of flat space for both the 4x4's so might as well add another 4ft on that and be done with it.

#21 ·
Not Charleston, it's not really an old town. But drag one through Baltimore or Annapolis or Philadelphia or any number of older towns and you may not have all of your trailer on the other side of town. Lol. I guess you're right it doesn't really matter if it's 25 or 30 or 35 feet at that point though.

#24 ·
No, it was founded in 1670. Are you sure we're talking about the same city? I'm talking about Charleston, SC.

In any event doesn't really matter. A 32' bumper pull is easy enough to get to any trail head you can get a standard 20' car hauler to. It's hardly the issue with an enclosed.

OP. I think you'll be fine with your current truck as long as you play it safe.

#28 ·
What good is it being able to drive through a city when ther's no way in hell you'll ever find anywhere to park? Delivery trucks get to block lanes because they have a job to do, you'll probably get a ticket. Sizing a trailer based on being able to drive through Boston is stupid, unless of course you live in boston and actually have the space to park it. Given the size of truck and the number of toys the OP has I'm guessing he's a but more of a country boy than a city boy.

#29 ·
I don't really see anytime when I'm going to be driving through the city to go wheelin and yeah I live out in the country. I go to somewhat local offroad parks, hatfield mccoy trails, and out west eventually. Basically highway driving until you get near where you're going then it's back roads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.