6.4 to 7.3 swap? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 327114
I would find a medium duty or larger truck that would laugh at the weight you are pulling with the F450, which would allow an upgrade on horse trailer LQ if desired, and trade the F450 off for a nice soft riding higher mpg quad cab or suv that the ladies and kids could follow in. That way you have something to drive to dinner, go grab parts, groceries, shopping while you are working, etc.

Price tag on a brand new F450 loaded makes my eyes water.
straightblast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #77 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
Crew cab fl70 with a hauler bed is what those horse guys usually run. Plenty of capacity, still looks "somewhat" normal
Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 355210
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightblast View Post
... trade the F450 off for a nice soft riding higher mpg quad cab or suv that the ladies and kids could follow in...
I don't see that as a solution. That's just adding a vehicle, which requires a driver of its own 24/7. The horse trailer pulled by the F450 has LQ already. The only way your idea works is if one new truck replaced both the F700 and the F450 and one new trailer replaced both stock trailers and the LQ of one trailer and the cabover. That's a big trailer with LQ, a big truck, and a big sleeper. Not saying it's an impossible combo but it's a 100% change out of equipment and a 180 change in thinking.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 AM   #79 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Woods View Post
Well, when you have 2 daily driver big trucks one needs to look suitable enough for the ladies to go get groceries, etc. Or running unloaded around town, an MDT/HDT isn't practical. The 6.4 had over 60k towing miles and the platform had 0 issues. Looking for a 440hp F450 in pickup trim, new + warranty.
You have been saying how awesome the 6.4 is for some time now. I think after the second motor blew it is time to stop that.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
So the only options in MDT/HDT are completely new or completely clapped out?
Just in response to the guy who said you could buy three for the price of an F450.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 119289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramv View Post
Just in response to the guy who said you could buy three for the price of an F450.
arent you the guy who pulls two rigs on a trailer behind an avalanche?

I COULD BUY 3 used but excellent MDTs for whatever a new f450 costs. its a fucking engine, frame and cab; it pulls a trailer. it doesnt need leather seats, a sunroof, etc to pull a trailer. a real MDT will laugh at what a 450 labors to pull.

if he wants to have a big boy pickup so his wife can go get groceries and look bad ass, then fine, buy an f450 pickup. just seems completely impractical, but is somehow justified b/c it tows a horse trailer? its his money, do whatever he wants; literally trying to justify an f450 as a grocery getter for the ladies is silly
Old 05-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by some zilch View Post

I COULD BUY 3 used but excellent MDTs for whatever a new f450 costs. its a fucking engine, frame and cab; it pulls a trailer. it doesnt need leather seats, a sunroof, etc to pull a trailer. a real MDT will laugh at what a 450 labors to pull.

if he wants to have a big boy pickup so his wife can go get groceries and look bad ass, then fine, buy an f450 pickup. just seems completely impractical, but is somehow justified b/c it tows a horse trailer? its his money, do whatever he wants; literally trying to justify an f450 as a grocery getter for the ladies is silly
The last part of your argument makes no sense. I can't tell if you think he should get a bigger or smaller truck.

What he is trying to say is, when they are 1000+ miles from home, they have 2 trucks. 1 is a ridiculously huge 20 year old mdt, so it's nice if the other is something the women can get groceries in. An Explorer can't pull a 53' bloomer trailer, so what do you suggest?

I would have to agree with gavan, the 4 door fl70 type truck would be the best option, real drive train that might actually last more than 30k miles without blowing up. I think the 6.7 F450 is the best wannabe mdt option, but I'm not sold it will last much longer than the 6.4 pulling that trailer.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:

Why the hate on the Avalanche? I have a v10 ex that I wouldn't hesitate to put 2 rigs behind if needed. Not all of us want, need, or and justify a big diesel mdt/HDT towrig.

This is what freaking amazes me. Some guy will come on here and say I want a cumming dually to pull my jeep. People will flame him and say buy an ecoboost 150. Then a guy come on here and says I have a big load but I don't want the upkeep and hassle of an MDT/HDT and everyone flames him and says that exactly what you need.

I really thing that while a crew fl70 would be a good package, it's $$$$$$. Another option would be a ram 5500. But I would go 6.7 f450
Old 05-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 11921
Quote:

Not sure your point? Yes I am very frugal on my own budget and use my DD to tow whatever I need to tow. (It is an 8.1 V8, and has 4wd.) Its worked for nearly 200k miles on the original drivetrain.

My point is I don't see how a MDT with a crew cab and 4wd would be a 1/3 the cost of an F450 unless it's pretty worn out.

Last edited by ramv; 05-01-2016 at 12:16 PM.
ramv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #85 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
2003 Freightliner Crew Cab Sport Chassis Race Horse Hauler 65K Miles | eBay

It says horse hauler right in the description!

It's not that different than a 450. A little taller, turns a little better. If you can get your 700 in there you can get that in there too. Looks respectable. Half the price of a new f450.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
2003 Freightliner Crew Cab Sport Chassis Race Horse Hauler 65K Miles | eBay

It says horse hauler right in the description!

It's not that different than a 450. A little taller, turns a little better. If you can get your 700 in there you can get that in there too. Looks respectable. Half the price of a new f450.
Tons of room for groceries in those side boxes also
Old 05-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 194396
How about the dt360? read that worked well for someone else with an 08 f450
Klitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 92543
Send a message via AIM to Mark13
Your inbox is full backwoods, just fyi.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:53 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 187907
Quote:
We had a guy with a 6.4, f450 tow truck that had been through 8 engines in 1 year.
That's one engine every 1.5 months, how is that even possible?
Jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 327114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
I don't see that as a solution. That's just adding a vehicle, which requires a driver of its own 24/7. The horse trailer pulled by the F450 has LQ already. The only way your idea works is if one new truck replaced both the F700 and the F450 and one new trailer replaced both stock trailers and the LQ of one trailer and the cabover. That's a big trailer with LQ, a big truck, and a big sleeper. Not saying it's an impossible combo but it's a 100% change out of equipment and a 180 change in thinking.
Let me spell this out a bit:

Backwoods drives his F700...chewing skoal and listening to his favorite country tunes, dialed up on 8. His Dad drives the MDT that replaces the 450...eatin' and spittin' whenever wherever, listening to his favorite country tunes, maybe rubbing the ears of his favorite dog (riding shotgun). The ladies and kids follow in a nice, clean, soft, comfortable chase vehicle............a nice distance back..........talking all day long about things ladies talk about.

I have been married for decades, trust me on this one.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
That's one engine every 1.5 months, how is that even possible?
A Ford made between 2003 and 2010. Standard procedure.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #92 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 183978
Quote:

Backwoods drives his F700...chewing skoal and listening to his favorite country tunes, dialed up on 8. His Dad drives the MDT that replaces the 450...eatin' and spittin' whenever wherever, listening to his favorite country tunes, maybe rubbing the ears of his favorite dog (riding shotgun). The ladies and kids follow in a nice, clean, soft, comfortable chase vehicle............a nice distance back..........talking all day long about things ladies talk about.

There's a lot to be said for this.
It was built by a crazy old air force engineer, and he had some informal machining skills and built this thing and I picked it up really cheap, didn't really want it, but I cant refuse a project ill never finish for the right price.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gbkeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 74825
Quote:

Well, no quite. The F700 has no radio, dont chew, no dogs ride in the truck, and I dont listen to country.

Depending on where we go often times we hook the 450 to the stock trailer and go off road with it. Being a 24ft trailer it can go a lot of places, a lot of places that will bury a 2wd truck. Imagine this, the F700 is parked with the camper setup and bobtail, the Bloomer is parked out of the way and unloaded (horses, dogs, etc). There is good cover to run dogs 20 miles down an old dirt road. The F700 is too tall with the camper to go off road and when the camper is off loaded it is hard to get into tight areas or go through sand. The Bloomer is basically parked for the duration of the trip. We pin the stock trailer to the 450, load horses and dogs. Have you ever been off the beaten path with a horse trailer? A tall MDT cant do it, and a 2wd cant do it. Yeah you can put a locker in it but there are some things 2wd cant overcome.

Last edited by Back Woods; 05-01-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Back Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

Adding a 3rd vehicle is the dumbest suggestion yet. They are trying to run a business, more fuel, insurance, maintenance, ect.

Also, some of us aren't crusty old fucks, enjoy spending time with our SO's and having someone to talk to.

Hard to argue all of BW's points, the only issue is, how long will the new F450 last? A 60k truck every 60k miles could get expensive.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 05-01-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 74825
We are hoping Ford got it right with the 6.7, the rest of the truck is pretty bullet proof, especially a 450. The 08 has had one tie rod end replaced, brake pads and tires in 160k, excluding the motors obviously.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #96 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 183978
Quote:
Well, no quite. The F700 has no radio, dont chew, no dogs ride in the truck, and I dont listen to country.

Depending on where we go often times we hook the 450 to the stock trailer and go off road with it. Being a 24ft trailer it can go a lot of places, a lot of places that will bury a 2wd truck. Imagine this, the F700 is parked with the camper setup and bobtail, the Bloomer is parked out of the way and unloaded (horses, dogs, etc). There is good cover to run dogs 20 miles down an old dirt road. The F700 is too tall with the camper to go off road and when the camper is off loaded it is hard to get into tight areas or go through sand. The Bloomer is basically parked for the duration of the trip. We pin the stock trailer to the 450, load horses and dogs. Have you ever been off the beaten path with a horse trailer? A tall MDT cant do it, and a 2wd cant do it. Yeah you can put a locker in it but there are some things 2wd cant overcome.
Could you do a larger truck and trailer that stays in camp and then pull the 24 footer with something smaller and less costly than an F450? LQ for 5 people might be a lot to ask from one truck and trailer but it's a thought.
It was built by a crazy old air force engineer, and he had some informal machining skills and built this thing and I picked it up really cheap, didn't really want it, but I cant refuse a project ill never finish for the right price.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gbkeith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #97 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11484
Quote:

You mad bro? I frequently tow 34,000 combined with mine - up hills faster, down hills slower (factory exhaust brake) than anything on the highway. You truly have no idea what you're talking about. Ps, here's a pic my wife took while she was out getting groceries with it.
Attached Images

MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 74825
No possible way to run a truck smaller than a 450 and no way to run a bigger trailer and be comfortable.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 327114
Quote:

I have been off the beaten path plenty with a stock trailer, not a horse trailer with LQ, etc. Unless it is dry, solid and fairly level, 2wd will leave you stranded. I agree.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #100 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR4WD View Post
You mad bro? I frequently tow 34,000 combined with mine - up hills faster, down hills slower (factory exhaust brake) than anything on the highway.
So did Backwood's dad's F450, at least until it shit the bed.

Last edited by CSP; 05-02-2016 at 12:40 PM.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in