Veg power system questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 04:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43046
Veg power system questions

I just recently purchased a 2006 dodge cummins ram from a used car dealer that has the Veg Power system waste vegetable oil system on it. I cannot find much info about it, and I would like to know more before deciding if I will be taking it off or leaving it on. Any info would be great. It is a very complete system, and I accidentally used it one day and had no issues...but do not want to again without more knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 84464
I would strongly suggest running grease only on mechanical injection motors. The clearances are much finer in the later stuff and getting oil filtered and dewatered to such fine tolerance is beyond most peoples capacity. Plus the tendency to polymerize into chicken skin and absolutely wreak havoc in presence of copper, brass, bronze and slower but certainly with mild steel over time.

Its a fuel for old diesels that you can tear down when it goes wrong. Minimum injection temp is 160f and up. In winter that can take 25 minutes of driving for me, with radiator block.

Id only be willing to try motor oil blends in late model stuff after extensive settling, top of drum siphoning and multi pass loop filtration down through stages that finish at 2 micron and pump directly into the tank, not some filthy gas can.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 13221
Send a message via AIM to tubehead
I had a WVO set up on a 12V a few years ago. It worked ok but I ended up taking it off. The veggie oil doesn't have the lubricty my P-pump needed. I wouldn't suggest it on a CR truck.
Shooting targets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tubehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66151
I'm a WMO guy, I haven't done much WVO. Even so, that system likely has components that will help in running WMO. I've run WMO in my 8.3 Cummins, 7.3 IDI, 7.3 PSD, and have a few friends that ran it in various other engines. If you're interested, there's a few threads on here.....here's one that detailed some ups/downs with WMO.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...il-diesel.html
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84464
Wvo has WAY more lubricity than diesel
Old 11-19-2016, 04:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43046
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_belben View Post
Wvo has WAY more lubricity than diesel

That's one of the reasons I'm considering keeping it on. I've read/ been told that the WVO will help keep the injectors lubricated as well, which is s good thing. This is also a very comprehensive kit. I'll try to post pics of it also.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 84464
So theres the rub. Brand new clean moisture free plant oils will keep the system lubed better.

Dirty gritty moisture laden grease will wear them out and plug them up with polymerized "chicken skin" and also coke them pretty bad if not being injected at high temps. So a good system is one challenge, knowing only to use it at full temp ( monitoring injection temps and if its not injecting hot enough modifying things) is another and the most critical is actually getting large amounts of oil and filtering/dewatering thoroughly enough.

At $2/ gallon its wasted time. At $4/gallon its a great idea but only if you dont wreck your truck doing it which is easier said than done.

You can certainly pour a quart of cheap motor oil into your diesel tank and get the lubrication up.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 106871
I didn't think anyone was still doing wvo. It was great 15 years ago when people would pay you to take it, or it was free. At least around here, the corporate biodiesel folks are paying a premium for it. Small time time folks can't compete, and at $2.50 a gallon it is not worth the effort.
gte719p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2016, 06:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 43046
I'm really just deciding whether to keep the system on or remove it. It's nice to have the option if fuel skyrockets again, but do I want to wait for that. The kit is very comprehensive and complete, I'm just not that familiar with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in