Box truck to RV conversion. Crew Cab f450 - Page 42 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #1026 (permalink)

Member # 79578
Decal on the front looks sweet. Especially with the blue gone. Factory built like.
Is there a reason you left the one blue streak on the cab, or just didn't get to removing it yet?
Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #1027 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb406 View Post
Decal on the front looks sweet. Especially with the blue gone. Factory built like.
Is there a reason you left the one blue streak on the cab, or just didn't get to removing it yet?
Thanks, I really like it too, contemplating getting smaller versions for thr sides done too.

Left the one stripe because it would just be a big black area there. Can always take it off later on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #1028 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Have followed your thread in awhile, but your tire wear issue was more than likely caused by incorrect pressures. Your new tires will suffer the same if you run too low of pressure. Low pressure causes increased rolling resistance and that causes heat and funky tire wear.

One of the best alignment shops for commercial trucks in the US is MD Alignment. The owners name is Mike. I follow what he says for pressures in my semi truck tires and even with the super singles, they are wearing perfectly even. Steer and drive pressures are set at 130psi cold and would run upto 145-150 when hot and temps were about 125-130 in the Texas summer.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #1029 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
Have followed your thread in awhile, but your tire wear issue was more than likely caused by incorrect pressures. Your new tires will suffer the same if you run too low of pressure. Low pressure causes increased rolling resistance and that causes heat and funky tire wear.

One of the best alignment shops for commercial trucks in the US is MD Alignment. The owners name is Mike. I follow what he says for pressures in my semi truck tires and even with the super singles, they are wearing perfectly even. Steer and drive pressures are set at 130psi cold and would run upto 145-150 when hot and temps were about 125-130 in the Texas summer.
Yeah not going to run 130psi in these. Maybe pressures were to blame, but I was running at Toyo's recommended pressures.

Same goes for these, according to the toyo load/inflation chart I need 80pis or less in both F and R. If you use the max load/PSI formula, (6395lbs/125psi) I need 82 rear and 60 front. (which is more than the Toyo chart says I need in the rear anyway). That is about where I am, 75 front 80 rear. A little bluge, but not flat looking. Temps were within about 2 degrees across the tread blocks (Need to check again after longer stretch, that was only ~30 miles). Temps were 72-75 ish on the blacks, carcass was around 80-82 IIRC.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #1030 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post

I was gonna add that your trucks r probably running max weight so his guidlines r gonna work. We r typically running much more tire then we need for weight so running them at high pressure doesnt work. We r dealing with some weird wear on the outler lugs on the front of the pete. The tires r rated for 10k each and the is only 9-10k on the entire axle.

Your pressure seem reasonable, just have to keep an eye on them.

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #1031 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Hmmmm I may have driven over my mud flap (reverse, ditch, yeah, i did remove it, it just flipped up backwards).... And broken a few clips for the flares in the past..... I guess more clearance is needed.

What do you mean they dont fit? I have a grinder and sawzall!

~1.5" of body lip and fender removed. Right where they bolt together (there are two sets of bolts), fender liner pushed back, flare re attached with sheet metal screws. Will need to repeat on other side....
Old 11-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #1032 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
PSA Pre fit your tire chains, these are supposed to fit, my tire size is on the bag, but I ahd to cut 8 links off and remove a cross bar.... Glad In tested them.

Amazing weekend though, We went to find snow, and find it we did! Forecast was way off, ~10" or so at least.

New Rigid's are awesome. Usable light, no one flashed me all weekend, and I can SEE!

The turn off the highway.

Where we stopped for the night. I drove all the way up in 2wd, apparently I forgot to unlock the hubs last weekend, so I jumped out to lock them in when we hit snow and unlocked them.... No wonder the ass end was squirming around.

Not a bad view to see in the morning. Snow firmed up over night and it took a fair bit of spinning to back out of there. Parking brake froze too (well the sensor/cable did, brake released, but chime chimed for miles.....)

Went for a couple of COLD hikes.

Not doing the pass this time of year LOL

Spotted a black bear in a tree....

Then headed to a usual spot for the night. It was clear and COLD.

where did you find the snow in WA?
Old 11-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #1033 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
where did you find the snow in WA?
Smithbrook, up by Stevens.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #1034 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Yeah not going to run 130psi in these. Maybe pressures were to blame, but I was running at Toyo's recommended pressures.

Same goes for these, according to the toyo load/inflation chart I need 80pis or less in both F and R. If you use the max load/PSI formula, (6395lbs/125psi) I need 82 rear and 60 front. (which is more than the Toyo chart says I need in the rear anyway). That is about where I am, 75 front 80 rear. A little bluge, but not flat looking. Temps were within about 2 degrees across the tread blocks (Need to check again after longer stretch, that was only ~30 miles). Temps were 72-75 ish on the blacks, carcass was around 80-82 IIRC.
Call and talk to Mike or anyone else at MD Alignment. They can explain it much better than I can. His decades of experience are worth its weight in gold.

As far as weights, I run anywhere from 34k empty to 80k.We try as hard as possible to stay away from running heavy because it doesnt pay more and its just more fuel and wear & tear on the truck. I run 12-15k miles a month normally anything we can do to save $ means more $ in our pocket.

Tire pressure is critical. Do your own research on this. Ive got somewhere over 100k on my truck tires with them being at about 65% tread. Lots of guys who follow this guys advice have gotten 400k out of their tires. What you put on should last a long long time.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #1035 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Waking up after what I can say was the strangest night I have had in awhile..... We rolled in just about 10pm, dumping wet snow, there was a group of three trucks there waiting for one more. I figured that would be the last people we would see of the night.... Nope, about 11pm the UTV's and trucks started coming by, going who knows where, and they didn't stop.... All night long until 5:30 am. I can imagine fueled by nothing more than meth and Bud Light. Yeah dont recommend that spot.

New tires smooth out the little bumps, big bumps are still bumpy. I averaged ~15 mph probably on this road.

Made our way back down to the highway and headed up Mt Rainer for a little ski touring! First real long ish tour for us. Did just about 2500 vertical up.

Great ski down!

Tucked into a campground for the night. We were the only people there. It was quiet, thank god.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #1036 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
dang! awesome stuff........... happy to see you getting out and enjoying the rig!

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #1037 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
dang! awesome stuff........... happy to see you getting out and enjoying the rig!
Thanks! It's been a great base camp!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #1038 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Awesome snow pics, dude!

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #1039 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Looking for input!

I want to bond a solar panel (well mounts) to my roof. The mounts and roof are bare Aluminum (well I have the ABS corner mounts, but reading is making me not want to use them due to ABS being hard to bond to). Panel is ~40lbs. Centered in roof.

Options:

Sika 252, its currently cold, it cure REALLY slow in cold (but I can deal with that). Sika does not want any of their products used in RV/Trailer/Vehicle bonding applications. ​Sika 252 Data​​​

Tensile strength 435psi, elongation at break 400%, tensile lap strength 360psi

3m 5200, cure faster when cold, does not like UV (but the bond area is not exposed to UV?) does not bond to ALU as strongly. ​5200 Data​​​

Tensile 705psi, elongation 762%, overlap shear on Alu 393psi

Weldmount AT-6030, weld substitute structural acrylic. Fast cure, does not like low temps. Weldmount Data

Lap shear on alu 2800psi, elongation 100-125%,

Six10 Epoxy, not as flexible, slow cure (faster than 252) in cold ​six10 Data​​​

Tensile 6440 psi, elongation 7.9%

Last edited by Java; 12-04-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Java is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #1040 (permalink)

Member # 355210
I have had good luck with 3M VHB tape for such things. Lots of varieties so some research would be needed to pinpoint the best for your application. Or just contact a 3M rep, etc.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #1041 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
I have had good luck with 3M VHB tape for such things. Lots of varieties so some research would be needed to pinpoint the best for your application. Or just contact a 3M rep, etc.
Thats a thought also! I have had bad luck with the VHB in the past, but it may have been my wishful thinking as to what it would hold (or I had the wrong stuff for the application)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #1042 (permalink)

Member # 86724
3m panel bonding adhesive.

it's what they're gluing supercars together with. Anti corrosion, high bond and flexibility.
It's not gonna be cheap, but then neither will losing a panel at 65mph.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #1043 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
3m panel bonding adhesive.

it's what they're gluing supercars together with. Anti corrosion, high bond and flexibility.
It's not gonna be cheap, but then neither will losing a panel at 65mph.
Looked at that, strong, doesn't like cold, and not real flexible. About the same strength as the other two-part glues listed

Old 12-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #1044 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
We use this one at work, for sealing industrial gearboxes that get used outside in all kinds of weather:

TEROSON MS 939 - Silane modified polymer sealant/adhesive - Loctite

(you've probably passed within inches of some of our products if you've ever ridden a Poma or Doppelmayr lift )

Stuff is badass...we've had gearboxes come in for service where all the bolts were loose and still sealed and working. One of our shop guys used some to glue speakers to the wall by his assembly area, and when we repainted the shop it took a prybar and hammer to get them off.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #1045 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
We use this one at work, for sealing industrial gearboxes that get used outside in all kinds of weather:

TEROSON MS 939 - Silane modified polymer sealant/adhesive - Loctite

(you've probably passed within inches of some of our products if you've ever ridden a Poma or Doppelmayr lift )

Stuff is badass...we've had gearboxes come in for service where all the bolts were loose and still sealed and working. One of our shop guys used some to glue speakers to the wall by his assembly area, and when we repainted the shop it took a prybar and hammer to get them off.
Very cool, definately been on Poma and Doppelmeyer

I used the 252. Reading all day.... Lots of people use it for solar on the roof. Hope it cures, it's cold.

Panel just set for spacing. Heat packs to keep Temps up! And all packed with blankets, roof vent and fan on with the heat cranked inside.... Hope that helps!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #1046 (permalink)

Member # 147348
I bet you would destroy the panel or the roof before the 252 fails. Interested in hearing about solar output.

CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #1047 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
I bet you would destroy the panel or the roof before the 252 fails. Interested in hearing about solar output.

That is the hope! Well hopefully it all sticks together just fine without destroying anything

Old 12-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #1048 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Took these this morning, it appears my heating situation is working, although im sure my electricity bill will be lovely Pulled the blankets and tarp back yesterday, roof/panel/mounts were 45-50 degrees! And the sika is pretty set up.

May have gone a little overkill on the wires, its 8ga....

And a question..... Does it look like I may have a leak in the cab somewhere? That is condensed on the inside..... (remember the heat is on pretty high in there, but it hasn't rained in a week) I see that quite often on the inside, although not usually so much.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #1049 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Depends on the humidity level and temperatures (inside vs outside). I get that in my car when the humidity is high and it doesn't have any leaks.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #1050 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Depends on the humidity level and temperatures (inside vs outside). I get that in my car when the humidity is high and it doesn't have any leaks.

Aaron Z
Its cold as balls outside and warm in the truck, humidity is supposed to be between 40-60% today. Could be extra moist from camping in it still too i supposed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in