Box truck to RV conversion. Crew Cab f450 - Page 51 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #1251 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9154
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
Build thread on this?
I have to finish the new roof first and then might post something on RV.NET in the truck camper section, not sure too many here would be into it.
98.5 dodge,EZ,TST,ex brk,Goerend,ford outers,quad bags
'05 arctic fox-880wts solar,inverter,cocktail cubes 24/7
502cu in boat EVIL SATISFACTION
v6toy4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #1252 (permalink)

Member # 39660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Peltier are ungodly ineffective..... Interesting thought tho

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I believe these use peltier chips to cool beer to 35 or so below ambient, and a good amount of people use them from what I hear, but I don't have the cash for them...

https://www.morebeer.com/products/mo...er-75-gal.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
christyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #1253 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyle View Post
I believe these use peltier chips to cool beer to 35 or so below ambient, and a good amount of people use them from what I hear, but I don't have the cash for them...

Those are cool, but not really coolers per say. From the add: "it can get to and hold lager fermentation temperatures of 48-52 Fahrenheit all the way up to ambient temperatures of 80 Fahrenheit."

Im not drinking 50 degree beer

Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #1254 (permalink)

Member # 39660
Quote:
Those are cool, but not really coolers per say. From the add: "it can get to and hold lager fermentation temperatures of 48-52 Fahrenheit all the way up to ambient temperatures of 80 Fahrenheit."

Im not drinking 50 degree beer
I was just piggybacking off of the past comment that I assume to be for pre-cooling the keg. definitely not serving temp, and not something I think is worth the hassle, just saying i was surprised to see how effective they were for fermentation. I use a whole chest freezer to keep mine at temp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
christyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #1255 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
I was just piggybacking off of the past comment that I assume to be for pre-cooling the keg. definitely not serving temp, and not something I think is worth the hassle, just saying i was surprised to see how effective they were for fermentation. I use a whole chest freezer to keep mine at temp
Yeah Its cool the new stuff they are coming up with! I have zero time for brewing any more sadly....

More little project trying to get wrapped up before the NWOR.

Old water pump, LOUD, from a 20 year old RV, free from my garage during the initial build.

New water pump, sold as "quiet" still a diaphragm pump, I was worried it would be similar loud. It was not free, it IS QUIET! But the water pulses a bit, may look into an accumulator tank eventually, but my god its so much QUIETER! (yes its crooked, no I dont care right now.... I was not making new flex lines.)

Tidied up the wiring that has been flopping since forever?

Two things crossed off the list. More tonight hopefully, rain permitting.....
Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #1256 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
I thought Shurflow pumps (looks like that was your original) were supposed to be quiet. Which one did you install?

What water heater did you go with? Was going through old posts in this thread and must have missed the make/model.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #1257 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
I thought Shurflow pumps (looks like that was your original) were supposed to be quiet. Which one did you install?

What water heater did you go with? Was going through old posts in this thread and must have missed the make/model.
It was loud and bangy, maybe just due to age?

I went with this pump https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

Water heater is a Suburban IW60. BUT I would probably do something different doing it again. Its great for the outdoor shower, but not so much for just a quick hand wash. It takes 15-20 seconds of good flow to get hot water. And the sink faucet is literally 2' above the heater. I was trying to get a Truma Combi unit, but there were no north american dealers at the time.

OR run a recirc line back to my water tank, this could also allow you to heat the tank a bit for freezing. I may do that eventually, but I didn't plan for it so its going to be a PITA.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #1258 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Quote:
It was loud and bangy, maybe just due to age?

I went with this pump https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

Water heater is a Suburban IW60. BUT I would probably do something different doing it again. Its great for the outdoor shower, but not so much for just a quick hand wash. It takes 15-20 seconds of good flow to get hot water. And the sink faucet is literally 2' above the heater. I was trying to get a Truma Combi unit, but there were no north american dealers at the time.

OR run a recirc line back to my water tank, this could also allow you to heat the tank a bit for freezing. I may do that eventually, but I didn't plan for it so its going to be a PITA.
Got it, thank you. You'd go with the truma because it'd prevent you from having the webasto and a water heater? None of the dozen dealers I've looked at through Truma's site list a price. I found a price on ebay, looks like those things start at $2500. That's $$$.

Would a traditional 6-10gal water heater not suffice?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #1259 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
Got it, thank you. You'd go with the truma because it'd prevent you from having the webasto and a water heater? None of the dozen dealers I've looked at through Truma's site list a price. I found a price on ebay, looks like those things start at $2500. That's $$$.

Would a traditional 6-10gal water heater not suffice?
Exactly, Winnebago (IIRc that's who it was, saw them in a couple of sprinter conversions) has been using them for a couple years now. Yes not a cheap option by any means, but small.

Traditional water heater is fine, BUT susceptible to freezing, that's why I was trying to stay away from them. Also not very efficient.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #1260 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6toy4x View Post
I have to finish the new roof first and then might post something on RV.NET in the truck camper section, not sure too many here would be into it.
Times are a changin....
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #1261 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Peltier are ungodly ineffective..... Interesting thought tho

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Quote:

I think maybe you meant in-efficient and you'd be right for sure but I was thinking if you had surplus solar its not getting used anyway and you could pre cool the insulated keg then use the ARB for final temp drop.

I use a peltier cooler in my service truck and it gets pretty damn cold, not freezing or anything but it will easily keep my drinks cold. They are not the best for allot of projects but they are simple.

That's a good price on that pump. I have been wanting to add a bladder tank to dampen the noise and provide short burst water supply without running the pump (night time piss break).
Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #1262 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
I think maybe you meant in-efficient and you'd be right for sure but I was thinking if you had surplus solar its not getting used anyway and you could pre cool the insulated keg then use the ARB for final temp drop.

I use a peltier cooler in my service truck and it gets pretty damn cold, not freezing or anything but it will easily keep my drinks cold. They are not the best for allot of projects but they are simple.

That's a good price on that pump. I have been wanting to add a bladder tank to dampen the noise and provide short burst water supply without running the pump (night time piss break).
Sorry yes, inefficient. I do have excess solar on days in direct sun for sure.

I too have looked at the accumulator tanks. May not need one now, I cant hear the pump anymore. Like the water splashing is louder with the bench assembled.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #1263 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Sorry yes, inefficient. I do have excess solar on days in direct sun for sure.

I too have looked at the accumulator tanks. May not need one now, I cant hear the pump anymore. Like the water splashing is louder with the bench assembled.

That's what I am after. With my pump (looks like your old pump) the pex rattles to the shower so loud it sounds like the pump is diesel powered.
I figured the bladder tank would lessen the demand on the pump and help quiet it down.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #1264 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
That's what I am after. With my pump (looks like your old pump) the pex rattles to the shower so loud it sounds like the pump is diesel powered.
I figured the bladder tank would lessen the demand on the pump and help quiet it down.
Yeah mine was the same. I was told longer flex sections would help as well, but this is a world of difference.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM   #1265 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Quote:
Not sure if you've had much experience with mobile beer/jockey boxes, but I can never get it to the point of non-foaming. I hear you should run like 30psi to keep the gas in solution but I dunno...it never works out for me... I have 2 jockey boxes (25' and a 50' 3/16 SS coil in a cooler of ice), and keeping the keg as cool as possible is your best bet. I hear cold plates like yours can be even tougher to manage. Let me know how it works out!
I have a jockey box that has something like 100' of 5/16" and then drops to 30' of 1/4" or 3/16" just before the tap. It works crazy good. Taken it to parties, camping, the parking lot of the bar, all kinds of places and it's always cold and non-foamy. I run it at 30psi. It is a beermeister brand that's in a screwtop 10 gal water cooler. Had lots of good times with that thing, I think I bought it in '95.
Travis..
Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #1266 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
I have a jockey box that has something like 100' of 5/16" and then drops to 30' of 1/4" or 3/16" just before the tap. It works crazy good. Taken it to parties, camping, the parking lot of the bar, all kinds of places and it's always cold and non-foamy. I run it at 30psi. It is a beermeister brand that's in a screwtop 10 gal water cooler. Had lots of good times with that thing, I think I bought it in '95.
Travis..
Yeah I wanted to be able to use the fridge too, IIRC they said this plate was equivalent to 44' of line. Im getting a fair bit of foam...... Running 15psi
Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #1267 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Misadventures in upholstery.... Oy. Not my forte.

Cut and pack in a bunch more insulation

definitely the correct stapler?

What am I doing?!

Spray glue?

Getting somewhere.....

Now the hard part..... Cant be tight as the truck moves, looks worse in the pics....More staples.
Those ribs on the back wall didnt help at all with no stretch fabric....

Switch panel and power by the bed came out ok though, no more wires hanging out of the wall.

Last edited by Java; 06-19-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Java is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #1268 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Love the progress!!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #1269 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Can the insulation between the cab and box be seen from the outside? Can you post picks from the outside looking in between the cab and box and or describe what and how you did the insulation. Thanks in advance...love this build thread.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #1270 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineTx View Post
Can the insulation between the cab and box be seen from the outside? Can you post picks from the outside looking in between the cab and box and or describe what and how you did the insulation. Thanks in advance...love this build thread.
I have an accordion seal between the box and cab.

From the outside

And inside
Old 06-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #1271 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
I have an accordion seal between the box and cab.

From the outside

And inside
Thanks Java! So you put the insulation over the accordion seal.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #1272 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineTx View Post
Thanks Java! So you put the insulation over the accordion seal.
Exactly, it has a bit of a "bulge outward" so I figured I would stuff it full. Had the reflective stuff over it already.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #1273 (permalink)

Member # 79578
Quote:
But the water pulses a bit, may look into an accumulator tank eventually, but my god its so much QUIETER!...
I added an accumulator to mine this spring. I love it. RV accumulators seemed small to me (Like .65L or something stupid). I got this 2 gallon one for the same price. It's great. Can run the sink at low flow without pulsing the shit out of the pump. The wife likes it because she can use water during the night without running the pump and waking up the kids. It helped the flow in the shower too, especially if you run it for a few minutes, then shut it off and let pressure build while soaping up.
It also leaves my options open for a higher flow pump in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #1274 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Wouldn't a small accumulator have an easier time suppressing pump pulses at low flow as opposed to high flow?

I guess it's time for me to read up on accumulator sizing.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 AM   #1275 (permalink)

Member # 56256
No idea on sizing them, but the expansion tank just makes the pump not needed for the first 1.75 gallons or whatever till the pressure drops. What pressure are you running on the air side of it? FWIW its supposed to match the delivery pressure.

I dont have room for a two gallon tank..... Maybe not even the small accumulator....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in