Box truck to RV conversion. Crew Cab f450 - Page 53 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #1301 (permalink)

Member # 86724
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR5T_J_XZbo&t=350s

https://t-p-h.net/

he says you can get those big pates from that website, but I couldn't find them on there.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #1302 (permalink)

Member # 355210
Yeah I throw some 2x6s or 1/2" ply down first on soft stuff. A stiff big rig mud flap works too.
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #1303 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
Yeah I throw some 2x6s or 1/2" ply down first on soft stuff. A stiff big rig mud flap works too.
Yeah some blocks would probably help..... Snow swallows everything tho.

Truck has been parked last two weekends, went backpacking, and had to finish my shed.

Shed. Its dried in. Good enough to hold stuff.

Shed was so I could get a garage bay back.... I'm going to be busy for awhile.....

Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #1304 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22748
nice!

R.I.P. Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #1305 (permalink)

Member # 135683
For some reason when I saw the first pic I thought it was like a old ford esquire wagon or something then everything around it seemed to be an odd scale lol.

So what are the plans on that thing? Stockish 2wd family hauler...4wd conversion restomod? spill the beans lol

Last edited by 350TacoZilla; 07-19-2019 at 08:34 AM.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #1306 (permalink)

Member # 56256
2wd, just family cruiser. It's on air and lays out really nice but needs literally everything done. But it's almost rust free.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #1307 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Lots of leg powered excursions lately, so we haven't used the truck in forever, but with thunderstorms predicted all weekend that sounds like a perfect reason to take the truck.

Spent Friday night up in the mountains. It rained so hard it sounded like golf balls being poured on the roof! Yep, glad I took the truck.

It cleared up in the AM and we did a quick hike. Then headed South Ish.

Had a lazy afternoon, climbed a few easy routes and just hung out. Made some skottle pizza's and watched thunderstorms in the distance. Its finally getting cold enough to break out the propane fire pit too.

Also saw one of these! Glad it was a ways away!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #1308 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
2wd, just family cruiser. It's on air and lays out really nice but needs literally everything done. But it's almost rust free.

the mechanical shit is easy.

fuck rust repair.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #1309 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
the mechanical shit is easy.

fuck rust repair.
Yeah.... that is part of what drew me to this one, so little rust. Already have it all cut out and welded it back in.

Mechanical is easier when you're the one who took it apart!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #1310 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Big truck little roads!

As stiff as the M608's are they still deform at street pressure under a heavy ass truck.

Not bad at all.

Climbed til it was too damn hot and went and jumped in the river for the rest of the afternoon. Beware of nude beach

Stopped for lunch at a lake, its SUPER low, we are literally parked 1/2 mile into the lake. Its good and solid where its dry.... Muddy areas not so much, I avoided those like the plague.

Now onto a serious topic. Coilovers (or other options....). I need to do something to get this thing to ride better on FS roads. If you may or may not remember I have kelderman air ride leveling kit. Its honestly marginally better than the OE coils. I have to run ~80psi in the bags to keep their suggest ride height. I think this is likely very close to the OE spring rate. Its at 6200lbs on the front axle.

Airing down helps, but honestly its a bitch for say 10 miles of gravel.

Running Bilstien 5100's in the front, perhaps a better shock would help? Not really sure, it doesn't seem bouncy, but harsh on any impacts.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #1311 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
What i have been finding is that better shocks only really work with more articulation. Not sure how to get more range on your truck. I would think u would need a large co to handle the weight. Maybe a larger diameter bag in the back so u can lower the pressure?

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #1312 (permalink)

Member # 147348
I found there are some higher end shocks made for prevost style coaches that might be better suited to your weight than the usual 4x4 names.

Edit: And after thinking about it some more the regular 4x4 names shouldn't have a problem building you some shocks too as long as they can vsalve for your weight.

RoadKing Shocks - Taking Advanced Ride Control Technology To The Limit - RoadKing Shocks LLC

http://www.koni.com/en-US/Bus-Truck-...ailer-dampers/

Last edited by CarterKaft; 08-19-2019 at 12:08 PM.
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #1313 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Jeeper View Post
What i have been finding is that better shocks only really work with more articulation. Not sure how to get more range on your truck. I would think u would need a large co to handle the weight. Maybe a larger diameter bag in the back so u can lower the pressure?
Back is pretty good with the springs there, the bags have ~10 psi in them.

Yes it would need to be a large CO for sure. Im just not sure it would help, spring rates needed for 6200lbs are probably similar to the bag spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
I found there are some higher end shocks made for prevost style coaches that might be better suited to your weight than the usual 4x4 names.

Edit: And after thinking about it some more the regular 4x4 names shouldn't have a problem building you some shocks too as long as they can vsalve for your weight.

RoadKing Shocks - Taking Advanced Ride Control Technology To The Limit - RoadKing Shocks LLC

KONI | Truck and trailer dampers
Agreed on the shocks, I just have off the shelf F250/350 ones now. BUT is a shock going to effect the ride much when it feel like there just isnt much give on potholes etc. Its harsh.

Data on the bags. In theory i should be over 90 psi with 3100lbs/side on them. assuming I am reading that right.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #1314 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Another topic came up in regards to Keldermans full air ride setup has 3 gallon (per side) ping tanks and 3/4" lines. Do you know anything about ping tanks?
Old 08-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #1315 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Another topic came up in regards to Keldermans full air ride setup has 3 gallon (per side) ping tanks and 3/4" lines. Do you know anything about ping tanks?
I know nothing of "ping" tanks.... Off to google. I have the kelderman kit in the front. It didn't have any tanks!
Old 08-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #1316 (permalink)

Member # 56256
@carterkraft, Googled. Thank you!

Ping tanks just increase the air volume in the system, supposedly keeps the spring rate more linear through compression. Sounds like a cheap (ish) thing to try first! I will have to see what size tanks and where I can stash them under the truck. Running more air lines..... Yay.....
Old 08-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #1317 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
I have the kelderman kit in the front. It didn't have any tanks!
Yeah the gents discussing the ping tanks are putting the full air ride (front/rear) systems on their just ordered '19 F-350 Limited's, different tax bracket than my usual crowd LOL
Old 08-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #1318 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Yeah the gents discussing the ping tanks are putting the full air ride (front/rear) systems on their just ordered '19 F-350 Limited's, different tax bracket than my usual crowd LOL
Ha! I was finding info from the truck camper guys.

Now the real question, how much does the airline size really matter? I see kelderman uses 3/4, but the truck camper guys have been using 3/8 or even 1/4". Think a 1 gallon tank per side is enough?

Old 08-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #1319 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Good ping tank discussion
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...ension-10.html
Old 08-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #1320 (permalink)

Member # 147348
See the link I posted for that exact recommendation...
My understanding is the size does matter and needs to be as large as possible, the flow rate through 1/4" PTC air line is miserable.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #1321 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
See the link I posted for that exact recommendation...
My understanding is the size does matter and needs to be as large as possible, the flow rate through 1/4" PTC air line is miserable.
Yeah my concern is that its still a 1/4" fitting at the bag. Will do more research.... I have two dead compressors with one gallon tanks sitting here.....

Think 3/8" line is big enough?

Last edited by Java; 08-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Java is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #1322 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Ping tanks will fuck up your spring rate and make it real easy to bottom. Your issue is the the shocks. Bilstiens of your flavor use dirgessive valving. Makes it handle like a sports car on the road and ride like shit over chop. You need a rebuildable shock with bleed holes in the piston to make it ride good over the chatter and still have good bottoming resistance. Some King IBP shocks would work wonders.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #1323 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
Ping tanks will fuck up your spring rate and make it real easy to bottom. Your issue is the the shocks. Bilstiens of your flavor use dirgessive valving. Makes it handle like a sports car on the road and ride like shit over chop. You need a rebuildable shock with bleed holes in the piston to make it ride good over the chatter and still have good bottoming resistance. Some King IBP shocks would work wonders.
Won't they keep the spring rate from rising as quick?

Suggestions on who to talk to about shocks? Wish there was someone local but it doesn't seem there is much

Old 08-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #1324 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
Dodge 2500 with Carli leafs, I need to run 25-30 psi to level my trailers 1200 lb tongue weight. I added 1.3 gallon tanks plumbed with 3/8" lines on my firestone bags, made a difference with rebound harshness. A larger hose would be better.
If you have access to the top plate of the bags when they are installed, you can TIG a larger NPT bung for more flow. We use triple bellow air springs for various gags at work and our first order of business is to add 2" ports.

I will say that I did add a touch more rebound valving to my 2.5" Kings to help with porpoising on some shitty concrete roads.
FirstRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #1325 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRam View Post
Dodge 2500 with Carli leafs, I need to run 25-30 psi to level my trailers 1200 lb tongue weight. I added 1.3 gallon tanks plumbed with 3/8" lines on my firestone bags, made a difference with rebound harshness. A larger hose would be better.
If you have access to the top plate of the bags when they are installed, you can TIG a larger NPT bung for more flow. We use triple bellow air springs for various gags at work and our first order of business is to add 2" ports.

I will say that I did add a touch more rebound valving to my 2.5" Kings to help with porpoising on some shitty concrete roads.
Thanks!

One thing to remember though, I have no springs other than the airbags. Adding a large Port could probably be done, but would not be easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in