Box truck to RV conversion. Crew Cab f450 - Page 65 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #1601 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
Nice, whatever gauge/3 wire bundle of four THHN strands. Looks similar to some of the machine cording I've been using in my shop.

What is this normally covered by, a seat? Could definitely build a wall to the right of the breaker box. Would make the shore power feed super short which is nice, and not take up room somewhere else.
Yes its 12/3, I kept everything pretty low amperage to be able to use a "standard" outlet. Everything on the truck is stranded. Romex cant handle vibration, I have no idea why so many people use that shit on trucks.

Its under the bed. The shore power runs unto a conduit and into the drivers side tool box. Makes for easy hookup. But the yellow cord is stiff and unruly.

Plan is to do everything this weekend. Batteries are supposed to get delivered this afternoon. Hopefully the driver is cool about me breaking them down and taking them off the pallet one at a time.... Need to get the old inverter out and set the Victron one in place to see what I need to do to mount it. It would have been nice it if didn't have to hang from a wall!!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #1602 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Very nice.

Pretty sure the victron inverter can lay flat on it's "back" permanently, but I don't have one myself, just basing that off youtube videos showcasing installs.

Looking forward to how you set it up.
GLTHFJ60 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #1603 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Very nice.

Pretty sure the victron inverter can lay flat on it's "back" permanently, but I don't have one myself, just basing that off youtube videos showcasing installs.

Looking forward to how you set it up.
Install instruction say upright.... Ill go double check but I am 99% sure.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #1604 (permalink)

Member # 56256
I guess I am wrong! For optimal cooling vertical is preferred.... That may make things a bit easier! I doubt I will be pulling full load often.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #1605 (permalink)

Member # 147348
I have seen some airstreamers reporting that running the AC while on it's back in tiny compartments will overheat it.

Not relevant to your use though I bet, as you don't have the giant lithium battery banks they have to even try that.

I would do the wall idea or mount it flat which ever way makes sense, you can't go wrong I think.
CarterKaft is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #1606 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
I have seen some airstreamers reporting that running the AC while on it's back in tiny compartments will overheat it.

Not relevant to your use though I bet, as you don't have the giant lithium battery banks they have to even try that.

I would do the wall idea or mount it flat which ever way makes sense, you can't go wrong I think.
Id be tempted to run AC from time to time with a fresh battery bank, but I don't really plan to do it. (think dog in the car for lunch stop).

My biggest draw will be coffee maker 1250ish W
Old 01-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #1607 (permalink)

Member # 56256
This just happened.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #1608 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Got me a little jealous. I'd love to be hooking up my house power right now. Sigh of relief when you said you won't use Romex. At least three quarters of the bus converters in the FB groups use Romex. I chimed in once about it not withstanding long-term vibration and got my head bit off.

I bought one PC fan for our inverter/battery bank to play with. Can't remember the watts, but it's tiny. Pretty sure I'll put several in as a precaution. Lots of safeties because I do plan to draw some serious power with tools.
JNHEscher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2020, 06:10 AM   #1609 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
I used the outdoor grey romex and thnn in conduit for the pete sleeper but it is full airride. No problems in 5yrs and probably 100k miles.

I was gonna suggest a couple of computer fans on the inverter or to circulate the air in the electrical cabin. U can get cheap contact thermo switches that will turn it on for u automatically.

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2020, 08:11 AM   #1610 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNHEscher View Post
Got me a little jealous. I'd love to be hooking up my house power right now. Sigh of relief when you said you won't use Romex. At least three quarters of the bus converters in the FB groups use Romex. I chimed in once about it not withstanding long-term vibration and got my head bit off.

I bought one PC fan for our inverter/battery bank to play with. Can't remember the watts, but it's tiny. Pretty sure I'll put several in as a precaution. Lots of safeties because I do plan to draw some serious power with tools.
I'm missing the fab a bit. But ill go do some Bondo on the other project.... Have an exhaust to make, but I will probably farm it out.... Working under a truck 16" off the floor sucks. Just rear shock mounts left pretty much for fab.

The inverter has an internal fan. Hopefully that's enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Jeeper View Post
I used the outdoor grey romex and thnn in conduit for the pete sleeper but it is full airride. No problems in 5yrs and probably 100k miles.

I was gonna suggest a couple of computer fans on the inverter or to circulate the air in the electrical cabin. U can get cheap contact thermo switches that will turn it on for u automatically.
Yes lots of people use romex, and its usually ok, but it will work harden at connections with vibration. No I avoided it and used stranded everywhere. Easier to work with for bend etc anyway.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #1611 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Looking forward to your review of that battery. I've been on the fence between LiFePO4, tesla packs, and AGM/gel batteries.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #1612 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Looking forward to your review of that battery. I've been on the fence between LiFePO4, tesla packs, and AGM/gel batteries.
Same batteries I have in it now. Called the company, the Grey case/Black top stopped being sold 2010/11 ish. Meaning they are 10 years old ish!! That kinda made my chopice for me.

Id love to do LiFePo4, but cant get over the cold weather yet. Most say 40deg for charge, Battle Born claims 25 degree, but it still scares me off. If I am camping at -20 outside, the batteries are dieing, I cant charge them, means I die too when the heater wont run. Which I found out, is ~10.5V
Old 01-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #1613 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
I am hoping to do some Automotive based DIY packs. Leaf, Tesla etc.
They are high quality, high amperage and abundant.

Using a high quality BMS REC d.o.o. and active water cooling it should be easy to keep them the correct temp as long as they are inside of a enclosure. If my RV gets to freezing inside it while I am trying to charge discharge I have problems. It would be generator time at that point or operating from the trucks engine at which point heating would be very easy to do. edit: it's also Victron VE compatible

As much as I hate the price of Lithium for a legit expedition rig it would seem to be paramount as the charge speed is so much higher winter solar would be much more efficient.

Last edited by CarterKaft; 01-30-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #1614 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
I am hoping to do some Automotive based DIY packs. Leaf, Tesla etc.
They are high quality, high amperage and abundant.

Using a high quality BMS REC d.o.o. and active water cooling it should be easy to keep them the correct temp as long as they are inside of a enclosure. If my RV gets to freezing inside it while I am trying to charge discharge I have problems. It would be generator time at that point or operating from the trucks engine at which point heating would be very easy to do. edit: it's also Victron VE compatible

As much as I hate the price of Lithium for a legit expedition rig it would seem to be paramount as the charge speed is so much higher winter solar would be much more efficient.
While I don't disagree that Lithium is a great battery tech, not charging below 40 degrees is a huge issue for me.

Worst case is they are dead and cold, cant run the heat, cant jump the truck if needed. Heating from the truck in the box is nearly useless, so you could sit in the cab and be warm, but still wont help battery temps and charge.

Yes they do charge quick, but you need either huge alternator (i have duals) or huge solar bank to get the amps in quick. And I have found 40 or so is about all I get from the alt.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #1615 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
While I don't disagree that Lithium is a great battery tech, not charging below 40 degrees is a huge issue for me.

Worst case is they are dead and cold, cant run the heat, cant jump the truck if needed. Heating from the truck in the box is nearly useless, so you could sit in the cab and be warm, but still wont help battery temps and charge.

Yes they do charge quick, but you need either huge alternator (i have duals) or huge solar bank to get the amps in quick. And I have found 40 or so is about all I get from the alt.
I hear you.

My thinking was to use the truck engine to power the house via battery selector switch then resistance heat the battery with the power from the alternator and/or run the diesel furnace.
Do you monitor battery temp with the BMV?

Obviously I know nothing about ski-camping and sub freezing extended camping.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:24 PM   #1616 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
I hear you.

My thinking was to use the truck engine to power the house via battery selector switch then resistance heat the battery with the power from the alternator and/or run the diesel furnace.

Do you monitor battery temp with the BMV?

Obviously I know nothing about ski-camping and sub freezing extended camping.
Way too much fucking around

Temp will be monitored with the new inverter. And apparently data logging if I throw a SD card in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2020, 06:00 PM   #1617 (permalink)

Member # 147348
That was the emergency "temp too low to operate" procedure.

I have the smart sense for temp compensation since my batteries are outside and not even in a box, just wondered if you had battery temp data.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #1618 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
That was the emergency "temp too low to operate" procedure.

I have the smart sense for temp compensation since my batteries are outside and not even in a box, just wondered if you had battery temp data.
Yep, I get it, but that involves a lot of changes to how it's wired right now.

No temp data, yet! I'll keep you posted when the sensor is installed.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:39 AM   #1619 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
There's a YT channel called "Mortons on the Move" where they used a tesla battery, and dealt with the low temp problem by having a heat map on the battery pack. Heat map runs off the battery pack with a simple temp controller, to keep the battery pack warm enough even when it's cold as balls out.

Added complexity, but it's an easy problem to solve.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:51 AM   #1620 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
There's a YT channel called "Mortons on the Move" where they used a tesla battery, and dealt with the low temp problem by having a heat map on the battery pack. Heat map runs off the battery pack with a simple temp controller, to keep the battery pack warm enough even when it's cold as balls out.

Added complexity, but it's an easy problem to solve.
Right, but still burning battery power to heat the batteries. Seems silly.....

Old 01-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #1621 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
Right, but still burning battery power to heat the batteries. Seems silly.....

Considering the capacity of the tesla batteries, it's probably negligible, especially with solar to charge them back up.

Run the numbers. Find a heat mat with x watts, capacity of the battery pack, how much it'd discharge over 24 hours keeping itself warm (assuming it's in an unconditioned compartment), then add how much solar charges it in that time, etc. It's not much.

Last edited by GLTHFJ60; 01-31-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #1622 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Considering the capacity of the tesla batteries, it's probably negligible, especially with solar to charge them back up.

Run the numbers. Find a heat mat with x watts, capacity of the battery pack, how much it'd discharge over 24 hours keeping itself warm (assuming it's in an unconditioned compartment), then add how much solar charges it in that time, etc. It's not much.
It may not be much, but it all adds up. I get zero solar in the winter..... And yes I'm sure a tesla sized bank can handle a few extra watts to heat itself.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #1623 (permalink)

Member # 86724
lithium batteries are great.

but fuck redesigning your whole arrangement to accommodate them.

a pair of fresh lead acids will probably be just fine. You got around with the old ones this long.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #1624 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post

a pair of fresh lead acids will probably be just fine. You got around with the old ones this long.
Exactly. But maybe next time, I should have some good temp data by then. That may calm my fears a bit.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:11 AM   #1625 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post

Totally agreed there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in