MCI 102-C3 coach to RV - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #201 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
save some bucks if your only doing steel and get a 10lb co2
C25 is probably my best bet for this. Got a mix of steel to steel, steel to stainless, and a touch of stainless to stainless to do. No structural stainless. I've laid some pretty decent beads on the above with your typical Co2/Argon mix and I'm working out keeping things small and practical on the bus. I'll be packing my welder and tools along. Eventually a plasma, too.

Last edited by JNHEscher; 03-27-2018 at 11:18 PM.
JNHEscher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNHEscher View Post
C25 is probably my best bet for this. Got a mix of steel to steel, steel to stainless, and a touch of stainless to stainless to do. No structural stainless. I've laid some pretty decent beads on the above with your typical Co2/Argon mix and I'm working out keeping things small and practical on the bus. I'll be packing my welder and tools along. Eventually a plasma, too.
I do a lot of 409 stainless exhaust stuff with CO2 and er70 wire, it seems to do okay. It'll look gray and is probably wrong but it doesn't seem to crack or rust any faster for it.

Main point to the co2 is that there's still 87ish CF in that little tiny 10lb bottle that costs $5 to have filled
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #203 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
With all colors of air line being the same price per foot through Hose and Fittings, I thought it'd be great to be able to tell which line is which. Currently, it's a maze of copper that is difficult to track to the untrained.

Picked up a stack of conduit and pipe yesterday. Lots of planning to do over the next week at the bus.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 AM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 832922
Wall panel removal

Quote:
Removed the wall panels and seat rails today. Foam board insulation in the walls that will be removed and replaced with spray-in foam. The exterior panel rust isn't too bad. It's mainly under the window frames and at the bottoms of the walls that needs attention.
Having a beast of a time trying to get the wall panels out. Looking through your pictures it looks like you were able to remove yours without taking out the windows? Did you just just the weld spots and they come out?
jaronhumiston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #205 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronhumiston View Post
Having a beast of a time trying to get the wall panels out. Looking through your pictures it looks like you were able to remove yours without taking out the windows? Did you just just the weld spots and they come out?
I started off by cutting through the stitch welds around their perimeter with a grinder and cutoff wheel and trying to pry the panels out. Ended up having to cut through both sides of each panel along the c-channel that they're welded to. They came right out after that.

Last edited by JNHEscher; 03-30-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #206 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronhumiston View Post
Needed to take more pictures but I've had my hands full. Here's where I cut through the panels on either side. I still need to clean up the wall framing. Looking to lay the floor down first so we have something to stand on.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #207 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Our left steer tire has had a leak for a while. I've added air on occasion, but we will be replacing the steer tires before we get on the road, so I let the tire go flat. Noticed yesterday morning that it was off the bead. No sweat, but I looked up close and found that the entire inside of the wheel is rusted. Might snag one of the new sets of Alcoas that's been listed.

Got busy cutting out the power steering hard line. When I got to the end at the filter, I found that the filter housing was really loose. All the fittings in it are loose. Somebody over torqued the feed side. Had replacing this in mind anyway since my trust in work by others has nearly diminished over the years and I want this rig in as close to tip top shape as I can get it before we're racking up the miles along side other traffic.

All in all, I got some stuff done. Laid in the pipes and conduits for mock-up and almost everything is already at the perfect length. Need to gather up a few more fittings and clasps so I can get conduits mounted.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #208 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
And that, ladies and gents, is the first of the lithium batteries for our bank. Believe me when I say there was much deliberation in the decision of batteries to use. That is all.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 619745
Quote:
And that, ladies and gents, is the first of the lithium batteries for our bank. Believe me when I say there was much deliberation in the decision of batteries to use. That is all.
How much does one of those little guys run?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
friskydingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #210 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by friskydingo View Post
How much does one of those little guys run?

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
$949-$974 per battery shipped, unfortunately. The price was the one and only downfall holding us back from going with these.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #211 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Scrubbed the hell out of the drive axle wheel tubs today so I could lay the battery in for test fitment. I'm cutting out some of the cross braces and replacing them with plate since the batteries won't quite fit underneath them as is. Green in the CAD pic is getting replaced. Redish pink is getting eliminated to make room for the new frame steel. Should be picking up some steel in the morning as long as they have what I want in stock.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #212 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Finally got around to cutting off all the crusty floor framework over top of the engine bay. Made a nice mound of grinder dust getting the cuts cleaned up. Some of the framing is stainless, but the carbon steel was shot. Cornflakes.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #213 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Did you have any idea this was going to be so much work when you bought it?
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #214 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Did you have any idea this was going to be so much work when you bought it?
Somewhat. I already most of this planned out in my head with the expectation of tearing into it this far. The finer details were unkown until I had the opportunity to open it up all the way since I hadn't worked on a bus before. It doesn't quite feel like it's a tremendous amount of work in a vehicle so spacious. Wrenching on something tight like an Impreza, though, brings out the frustration and curse words.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 AM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 41063
All I know is this thread has taught me that I never want to own an old bus, lol. I am enjoying the teardown and plans though, so good luck with it!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #216 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
All I know is this thread has taught me that I never want to own an old bus, lol. I am enjoying the teardown and plans though, so good luck with it!
No doubt. I've seen lots of folks talk about how great of shape theirs is in, but I don't see them dig into theirs like this. Our is better than some and worse than others. This one spent most of its life in northern Texas where they get plenty of snow. I suspect there's road salt there.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #217 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Guess I'll need to get the spool gun for the ESAB. This is the upper hinge plate on the door.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 192237
you can do aluminum through the normal liner, they also make plastic liners
just gotta use thick enough wire that it doesn't birdsnest, keep the lead laid out straightish crank the heat to max and the wire speed to max and then preheat until it runs right
oh and use straight argon

Last edited by [486]; 04-07-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #219 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
you can do aluminum through the normal liner, they also make plastic liners
just gotta use thick enough wire that it doesn't birdsnest, keep the lead laid out straightish crank the heat to max and the wire speed to max and then preheat until it runs right
oh and use straight argon
Giving that a go if I get another argon bottle. Sold mine a few months ago and just picked up a 75/25 the other day. Should've gotten argon because I need to Tig the knuckles of my son's buggy before I lose the opportunity.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 192237
search craigslist for helium tanks
easy way to get into a HP cylinder for cheap, and if it comes full you can use that too. Can also do DC tig on aluminum with He and get a lot more penetration than your amperage would give on AC

if no luck there just wait until next time you trade it in
Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #221 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
search craigslist for helium tanks
easy way to get into a HP cylinder for cheap, and if it comes full you can use that too. Can also do DC tig on aluminum with He and get a lot more penetration than your amperage would give on AC

if no luck there just wait until next time you trade it in
Anything useful on CL near us means a three-hour drive to Colorado Springs. It'll be on a trade-in. Won't take me long to drain the bottle I have. Still have my Miller 200 to Tig alu with. May just snag the smallest argon I can get and bring the door home to weld up alongside the knuckles.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #222 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Cleaning up the stainless perimeter for floor installation time. Kerosene and a wire brush to scrub this tar tape crap off before I can run the grinder with a wire wheel through to take the hardened putty off. Cleaning up very nicely.

My dad is on his way out here from Missouri with a trailer load of the denim insulation we ordered into Menard's a few weeks ago. We're going to have to make a trip to Springs or Albuquerque in the next couple days to get more conduit supplies because not a single retailer within two hours of us carries any or will sell to the general public.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 29037
I have never heard of a retailer who won't sell just because you aren't in the business. I know most counter guys don't care to wait on you because for the most part you have no idea what you are wanting.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 07:10 PM   #224 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
I have never heard of a retailer who won't sell just because you aren't in the business. I know most counter guys don't care to wait on you because for the most part you have no idea what you are wanting.
I stated that incorrectly. We have wholesale contractors here that won't sell anything to you because it'll spoil their "trade secrets". Big R and Ace have some stuff, but nothing we need. One electrical supply shop in the next town over doesn't have what we need either. Lowe's in Pueblo has everything we need, so a trip to there is in order. We're definitely not in an ideal location for any extensive build.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #225 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89623
Wittling these floor frame corners out. DeWalt cutoff wheels and flap discs aren't cutting it. Pun intended. Ordered a ten pack of Walter flap discs and it's looking like they got lost in transit.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in