Best used diesel trucks for longevity and bang for the buck - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
Are you saying 2nd gen a better quality cab over 3rd gen? My '97 is falling apart inside, I was seriously considering throwing a 3rd gen body on. Love my truck, hate the interior. 98+ 2nd gen better?

Also to the cummins vs 7.3 guys - how is the V8 diesel to work on? Is it a good more effort over the inline 6 engine, due to size and shape? Hear great things about the 7.3, but 5.9 is one exhaust manifold, less tubing, more space. Never looked at a 7.3 truck..
It definitely has a little more going on under the hood that makes working on it a bit of a hassle, but it's not that bad. Just a couple more things to take off to do the same job.

The worst thing I ever had to do to mine was rebuild the turbo. Took me 8 hours from start to finish, most of that was actually removing and installing the fucker. It's basically installed in front of the radio.

Me and a buddy did injectors and glow plugs a few months ago, and it went very well. 7 hours of work, not bad for a couple of idiots.
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 05:59 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 328810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron85 View Post
As far as the 12v swap truck, I have never ridden or driven a 12v truck. How does the throttle response, powerband, and general drive ability compare to a 7.3, 24v, 6.0, or commonrail? I would want to be in the 400+hp range again. I also hate big clouds of smoke, little reading I have done today looks like you can mostly tune the smoke out of the 12v with the AFC live
Without turning this into a 12v vs 7.3 thread (too late) my 7.3 is making over 380hp and only smokes if I want it to. It's not hard or expensive to get a lot of power out of a 7.3. Injectors, exhaust, intake, tune, will all get you there.

Last edited by JKTweak; 01-26-2018 at 06:00 AM.
JKTweak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #78 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
I wouldnt trade my 7.3 for a 6bt. it doesnt take much to fix some of the factory fukups.
replace every oring with vitons so it wont leak, ditch the fuel bowl in the valley, t4 swap and some hybrid injectors. easy to make more power then you can use.
dont be stupid like I was and put the rods through the pan going for 600hp on a stock motor.
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Yes. If you mod the crap out of it, they arenít terrible...
$300 and a few hours? I wouldn't call that "modding the crap out of it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
no

exhaust housing and turbine housing are different words for the same part
My bad, impeller housing? Whatever
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #80 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Well just got the insurance appraisal on the truck.......... they are going to pay me $9,950. I'm not very well versed in legal talk and contracts but our agent said that as long as we had receipts and documentation that it would be covered at cash value. We just re read our policy and it says cash value. The adjuster said it is based off cash value based off the vin. Not the greatest day for my but hey, I'm still alive. We are waiting on a call back from our agent who is out of town but hopefully there was a mistake and we get more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 fummins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Baron85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 322034
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTweak View Post
The worst thing I ever had to do to mine was rebuild the turbo. Took me 8 hours from start to finish, most of that was actually removing and installing the fucker. It's basically installed in front of the radio.

Me and a buddy did injectors and glow plugs a few months ago, and it went very well. 7 hours of work, not bad for a couple of idiots.
Holy hell that sounds like about 8x more work than the i6 (no glow plugs on 6bt either, right?)

Guess no V8 for me
montrose818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Well just got the insurance appraisal on the truck.......... they are going to pay me $9,950. I'm not very well versed in legal talk and contracts but our agent said that as long as we had receipts and documentation that it would be covered at cash value. We just re read our policy and it says cash value. The adjuster said it is based off cash value based off the vin. Not the greatest day for my but hey, I'm still alive. We are waiting on a call back from our agent who is out of town but hopefully there was a mistake and we get more.
Insurance has gone down an ugly path. They have their blue/black book value, and its all they want to pay regardless of your stack of receipts. In their eye, you're supposed to have additional specified coverage for anything you added to the truck.

That said, a buddy fought his. It took a year longer to settle, but he ended up doubling his settlement, less the token scrap value for truck (he kept it; heavily modded 2ndgen Dodge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
Holy hell that sounds like about 8x more work than the i6 (no glow plugs on 6bt either, right?)
Guess no V8 for me
No shit eh?

Last edited by u2slow; 01-26-2018 at 01:00 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Again, you need to show them examples of similar trucks to prove you can't replace the truck for that price.

My buddies dad got more than that for his stock 97 F350 7.3.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #84 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
That's what the adjuster is telling us. We should have had an additional coverage policy. When we first insured the truck we told our agent exactly what we had done to the truck and how much we had in it. We also specifically told them that the truck was originally a 5.4 gas automatics which we all know is not worth much. Our agent told us that as long as we have the receipts and documentation of what's been done it would be covered as cash value. He is out of town but I'm sure hoping that Monday I get a better answer. Really bummed and upset right now.

2002 fummins

Old 01-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 168243
Quote:
That's what the adjuster is telling us. We should have had an additional coverage policy. When we first insured the truck we told our agent exactly what we had done to the truck and how much we had in it. We also specifically told them that the truck was originally a 5.4 gas automatics which we all know is not worth much. Our agent told us that as long as we have the receipts and documentation of what's been done it would be covered as cash value. He is out of town but I'm sure hoping that Monday I get a better answer. Really bummed and upset right now.
Keep pushing it man. A few friends have had to deal with this and they've all taken 2nd or 3rd offers on settlement. Unfortunately I don't have the details to share, but this isn't the first time I've heard of insurance lowballing badly after t they total something out.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 616586
Was the truck titled as a diesel vehicle? That may help your case with insurance to at least have them start looking at powerstroke values.

Definitely keep on insurance about the settlement and have good examples of similar trucks for sale around you. Also, if you do not take a rental vehicle can you get non-use applied to your settlement? I am not sure how that works when you make a claim on your own insurance?

I went through this process after my 1992 D250 Cummins was totaled last year due to someone running a red light. I spent a lot of time on my end gathering everything I had done to my truck as well as the going rate for similar trucks. In the end, I made out better than I was expecting.
85Crew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
That's what the adjuster is telling us. We should have had an additional coverage policy. .
This is correct. And also true for most of us who've heavily modified a jeep-type rig. However, in most cases, you aren't insuring a rig for total loss, as much as insuring it for liability and injury, which are far more expensive losses.

In most total loss cases, we simply take our wreck back home, and transfer all the salvageable pieces over to the new 'donor' vehicle.

But yes, you and your agent, should have had an addendum specifically added to the original policy which detailed the upgrades, or, had an additional policy.

You really can't expect the Insurance Company to charge you premiums for a 10000 loss, when you're expecting to get paid 20000 ? You never paid for that much coverage.

Now I'll be curious to hear your Agent explain himself. As your typing certainly implies he has some explainin'

Last edited by Treeclimber; 01-26-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #88 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
In my defense I haven't had auto insurance for over 6 years since I have had a company truck and no personal vehicle. I didn't know what was the going rate for $30k vehicle insurance. Either way. I explained to my agent exactly what was done to the truck and how much I had in it...... still my job to verify but sucks.

2002 fummins

Old 01-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 52361
They might be right, but, you had an agent that you explained the value of the truck to when you purchased the policy, he failed to do his job, he will know this shortly.

What company?

If you get boned on the payoff, make sure they only charge you for a wrecked 5.4 truck on buyback

Edit; remind your agent that you went thru an agent for personalized service, you may ask him to get personally involved in the claim, the unspoken piece of this gives him a chance to make his plea to claims off record, saving him from heat from corporate.

Additionally, when something goes south, I've done very well reminding them that they were not low bid, that I paid extra for quality based on reputation.

Last edited by PROJECTJUNKIE; 01-26-2018 at 05:10 PM.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #90 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 406114
Buy back is $1300 roughly. I'm going to buy it back and strip it. I can easily get that much back from engine and fuel parts. I'm hoping motor and trans are salvageable and I will start looking for another blown up ford to swap into some day. I just can't justify the prices of used diesel trucks especially since I have everything for another fummins minus the truck. I'm sure I will have a few thousand dolllars in misc stuff that got damaged in the roll. Also going to have to pour a concrete slab to work on but it will still be better and cheaper the buying a used truck.

For now we are looking into buying a diesel Jeep Liberty since they are cheap and great commuters. Gonna suck being without a truck for a while.

2002 fummins

Old 01-27-2018, 02:45 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 77901
What insurance company do you have? Have a friend of mine get screwed on the value of an essentially new trailer that got stolen. I understand if you want to wait until you talk to your agent but I'd be curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in