Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Tow Rigs and Trailers (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/30-tow-rigs-trailers/)
-   -   6.4 Hemi 2500 (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/2622538-6-4-hemi-2500-a.html)

wap 02-15-2018 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wades_76_cj7 (Post 43106794)
he wasn't sure but from my research the 2500 Cummins in '15 was only offered in the G56 and 68RFE?:confused: I thought the Aisin was offered too but maybe that was only in the 3500?

Was the G56 available behind the 6.4 in 15? For some reason I thought they quit with the manual behind the gassers?

crashnzuk 02-15-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wap (Post 43146658)
Was the G56 available behind the 6.4 in 15? For some reason I thought they quit with the manual behind the gassers?

They did quit the gasser manuals, I think it was when the current body style started. It sucks, I think a 6.4 or even 5.7 backed by a G56 would be pretty sweet.
Travis..

ramv 02-16-2018 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy (Post 43146642)
Ramv, just in comparison, how does the suspension handle compared to the avalanche?

I had Timbrens and 5100s on the Avalanche. I would say the stock PW (4600s) handles loads about the same as the Avalanche with TImbrens. THE GVWR is as actually about the same between both (~8600 lb) but the PW definitely handles load more like a truck.

Aggie06 07-13-2018 01:22 PM

Bumping this thread. In search of my next truck and considering a 2500 with the 6.4. Any problems anyone has run into with them? Anyone have a mega cab with the 6.4? If so, do you regret not getting the diesel?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNorby 07-13-2018 06:23 PM

Buddy has a 2014 3500 6.4 hemi for his work truck.he has towed tons with it including backhoes. His biggest complaint is not low enough 1st gear to get going. It has 220,000 miles on it now and recently lost a water pump towing his camper up the mountain so swapped trucks with a 2015 Chevy 6.0 truck and he felt it pulled better, mostly because of lower 1st gear gearing. We looked it up and if I remember right the dodge was like 3:1 first whereas the theft is about 4:1. Overall though I think he really likes the truck otherwise and has been well tested.

fearfact 07-14-2018 07:14 AM

Only problems Ive had so far with my 2016 srw ccsb 3500 is the transmission valve body shat itself at 67k, warranty repair and back in the road. I tow about 13k often and right n the truck all over hell for our construction co. Overall very happy with it but my next one will be an oil burner primarily for the braking and plan for a heavy gooseneck setup


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KungFooMASTA 07-17-2018 11:30 AM

Is the 6.4 Hemi actually a big block? Or do you just call it that because its bigger than the 5.7? If it is a big block that is a pretty small one.

BroncoAZ 08-03-2018 08:39 AM

Im debating going from a 2006 5.9 diesel to a 2500 or 1500 gasser. Im not driving or towing enough miles to warrant keeping the diesel. I want to make the truck my wifes daily driver, she put 8K on her Lesbaru last year. I tow my Bronco (8700# with trailer) once or twice per year no farther than 400 miles.

Id rather have a 1/2 ton truck for her to drive and for fuel economy when we do go on trips (unloaded), but regardless of claimed ratings Id be displeased towing 9K with it after owning a 3/4 ton for the past 10 years.

As for which gasser, Id want to try them all and see what drove the best. The Ford 6.2L had the best MPG in a review video I watched recently and is available in a super cab vs a crew cab. My garage minus door is about 19 9, my current regular cab long bed truck fits with a few inches to spare. The Dodge 2500 crew cab is 19.78 long whereas I can get a Ford or GMC a little shorter.

lunacy 08-03-2018 02:19 PM

I just picked up a 2017 RAM 1500 Quad cab, short bed hemi with 22k miles for $23,000. Getting ~16mpg it replaced my 08 1500 Hemi, getting 13mpg.

I was looking for a similar 2500 6.4L, but just couldn't get to my price point, they were $10k+ higher.

Like you it's an unloaded daily driver most of the time, I might tow 9000 lbs twice a year and 5000 lbs 10 times a year. I did it with my 08, so I'm figuring the 17 should do it too. 9 years in truck technology is nice, this thing rides a lot better, seat is more comfortable, accelerates faster, bluetooth phone/radio and back up camera kick ass...just hoping it holds up as long.

Saluki ATO 08-03-2018 03:01 PM

2.5 years and 50k miles on my '16 Power Wagon.

Was getting antsy, so I was thinking about a diesel. Test drove a 17 and an 06. 06 felt stronger than the 17 (unknown mods on each). But neither was good enough empty to make me really motivated to change.

Still daily driving the 6.4 12-13 MPGs on 37s with stock 4.10s and lots of city streets. Towing 7-9k every 1-2 months. Sure it sucks the fuel when towing fast, but it's not frequent or heavy enough to make a change anytime soon.

D45 08-03-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunacy (Post 44003578)
I just picked up a 2017 RAM 1500 Quad cab, short bed hemi with 22k miles for $23,000. Getting ~16mpg it replaced my 08 1500 Hemi, getting 13mpg.

8 speed or 10 speed in the 2017s?

What gears?

lunacy 08-03-2018 04:03 PM

it's the 8 speed. 3.21 rear gear. The 8 speed has a 4.71 first gear, so even with the 3.21 rear end it still has a lower first gear final drive than my 08 with 3.0 first gear and a 3.92 rear end, and about equal for second gear. It takes off pretty quick.

I cruise 80mph at ~1700rpm, in my old truck it was ~2100 rpm.

D45 08-03-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunacy (Post 44003688)
it's the 8 speed. 3.21 rear gear. The 8 speed has a 4.71 first gear, so even with the 3.21 rear end it still has a lower first gear final drive than my 08 with 3.0 first gear and a 3.92 rear end, and about equal for second gear. It takes off pretty quick.

I cruise 80mph at ~1700rpm, in my old truck it was ~2100 rpm.

Interesting, with the 6 speed in my truck, 3.73 gears, and 34" tires......I just cleared 19.5 mpgs

1: 4.17
2: 2.34
3: 1.52
4: 1.14
5: 0.86
6: 0.69

YotaAtieToo 08-03-2018 05:28 PM

My buddy just bought one, had to go back to the dealership on the first week :laughing: fucking dodge

D45 08-03-2018 05:35 PM

Chevy puts the 6.2L in their half tons, as an option

You can get the 6.2L in some select F-150s

Does Dodge have any options for a larger motor in their 1500s, other than the 5.7L?

rugby 08-05-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D45 (Post 44003786)
Chevy puts the 6.2L in their half tons, as an option

You can get the 6.2L in some select F-150s

Does Dodge have any options for a larger motor in their 1500s, other than the 5.7L?

I dont think they do but haven't looked lately.

My 16 ram 1500 pulls my jeep just fine. Trailer and jeep is right at 7klbs. Loaded it get 10-12mpg depending on if doing 80 or not. Unloaded I am getting in the 20ish mpg.

This truck has the 3.21 gear in it and it pulls as well as the 10 ram I had with the 3.92 gears.

lunacy 08-06-2018 09:33 AM

5.7 is the only v8 available in the Ram 1500. I hear they are going to put the 6.4 in it, but that's rumors been going around for a few years.

I wish I got 20mpg out of mine, but I think my right foot is a little too heavy. My dash says it's getting 17.4, but my fuelly app hasn't calculated above 16.5 at any fill up. Maybe once the temperature gets under 100 it'll get a little better.

Black Sheep 08-08-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunacy (Post 44003578)
I just picked up a 2017 RAM 1500 Quad cab, short bed hemi with 22k miles for $23,000. Getting ~16mpg it replaced my 08 1500 Hemi, getting 13mpg.

Ram was offering $17,500 in incentives on brand new 1500 crew cabs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunacy (Post 44006724)
5.7 is the only v8 available in the Ram 1500. I hear they are going to put the 6.4 in it, but that's rumors been going around for a few years.

Itll never happen. FCA is the queen of faggotry, still waiting on the EPA to approve the 48v generator hybrid system. The only engine available in a 2019 is the standard 5.7L.

lunacy 08-09-2018 01:38 PM

Too bad the golf cart starter/generators on the 2019s aren't getting through EPA yet, its an interesting concept. They still have some 2017 Ecodiesels new on lots too because those got put on hold. Damn European junk, sad that Chrysler can't get back to being an American company.

Boons 08-09-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnzuk (Post 43150066)
They did quit the gasser manuals, I think it was when the current body style started. It sucks, I think a 6.4 or even 5.7 backed by a G56 would be pretty sweet.
Travis..

I have a 07 2500 4x4 with the hemi and g56, not as exciting as you would hope. The G56 is a lot lighter in the clutch department only sporting 11" instead of the cummin's 13" but it at least has a solid flywheel rather than the dual mass. Input shaft is also substantially smaller than the cummins equivalent.

Power doesn't feel any different than the autos but more useable. Mileage is about the same as an auto, best I've seen is 17.5 completely empty and driving like a puss. Haven't had it hooked up to any substantial load yet.

Harvester of Sorrow 02-22-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugby (Post 44005356)
I dont think they do but haven't looked lately.

My 16 ram 1500 pulls my jeep just fine. Trailer and jeep is right at 7klbs. Loaded it get 10-12mpg depending on if doing 80 or not. Unloaded I am getting in the 20ish mpg.

This truck has the 3.21 gear in it and it pulls as well as the 10 ram I had with the 3.92 gears.

These are the numbers I was looking for. So no braking issues towing the 7K?

I need to buy a truck very soon to replace my 1999 454 burb. There are a lot of nice 1500 5.7l trucks out there for sale. I have been looking at the following 2012 - 2017's:

6.2l ford
6.4l hemi
5.7l hemi

My rig will mostly be a daily and tow 7k once a month. There will be some planned multi-state trips this year.

dickwart 02-22-2019 02:58 PM

I'm in there with a 15' Ram 1500 on 35" Toyo AT2's. Towing probably 6-7K and it hauls ass. Not passing a gas station but it does have a smaller gas tank, less than 30gals I believe. Not sure of actual MPG, never recalibrated the speedo but I'd guess mid teens. I don't tow at 55 :). Added bags just because the rear coils were a little soft for my liking. Make a dozen local trips and half dozen 300+ miles one way out of town trips every year for last 3 years and seems to be doing fine. I pass all my diesel buddies, except for the refueling part...

Aggie06 02-22-2019 03:20 PM

Have had my 18 2500 Mega Cab with the 6.4 for a little over 11K Miles now. Overall average is around 13.5. Thats with stock tires and mixed city/highway driving. Had no issue pulling a 29 Jayco travel trailer around CO when we went elk hunting this past fall. It wont win a race pulling the trailer over passes, but it does everything I need it to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvester of Sorrow 02-23-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickwart (Post 44332716)
I'm in there with a 15' Ram 1500 on 35" Toyo AT2's. Towing probably 6-7K and it hauls ass. Not passing a gas station but it does have a smaller gas tank, less than 30gals I believe. Not sure of actual MPG, never recalibrated the speedo but I'd guess mid teens. I don't tow at 55 :). Added bags just because the rear coils were a little soft for my liking. Make a dozen local trips and half dozen 300+ miles one way out of town trips every year for last 3 years and seems to be doing fine. I pass all my diesel buddies, except for the refueling part...

So 5.7l Hemi huh...? I would be towing over to Naches, etc.

Ben W 02-23-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow (Post 44332512)
These are the numbers I was looking for. So no braking issues towing the 7K?

I need to buy a truck very soon to replace my 1999 454 burb. There are a lot of nice 1500 5.7l trucks out there for sale. I have been looking at the following 2012 - 2017's:

6.2l ford
6.4l hemi
5.7l hemi

My rig will mostly be a daily and tow 7k once a month. There will be some planned multi-state trips this year.

Look for an Ecoboost F150 with max tow package. Mine is rated for 11,200 towing.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.