2018 sierra 3500 hauler - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughBowtieTruck View Post
Cab and chassis in my book is shown as a C/K 3600 (not mistype)
Gcwr is 31,300lbs. Trailer rating not listed because vehicle weight is unknown. "For chassis cab and pickup delete vehicles, choose an appropriate hitch and load the truck and trailer within the limits of GCWR, GVWR, and RGAWR."
Straight from the 2018 GM Duramax supplement manual. So if his rear axle weight rating is good, truck is "good" as far as ratings go.
Looking at the Cab and Chassis section of the Commercial Vehicle Catalog (found at: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...es-catalog.pdf ) it says (on page 22):
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicles/2017/commercial/commercial-homepage/02-pdf/2018-chevrolet-commercial-vehicles-catalog.pdf
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating 4,400–5,600 lbs
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating 7,050–9,825 lbs.
Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 04-14-2018 at 10:49 PM.
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #102 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Looking at the Cab and Chassis section of the Commercial Vehicle Catalog (found at: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...es-catalog.pdf ) it says (on page 22):

Aaron Z
So if he gets the crawler a little bit more forward, technically he could be good....as long as he doesn't have any passengers, extra gear, a trailer, a full tank or fuel or eat a heavy lunch.

Actually, this says max GVRW is 13,200.

https://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/si...imensions.html

Last edited by bgaidan; 04-15-2018 at 07:14 AM.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 221653
I think it will be "acceptable" for this trip. Not done. 4runner will be lighter for the trip, with half doors on, and tools, parts, and extra fluids placed in the trailer.

Kicking around ideas for improvement, there is room to to raise the rear tank up giving clearance to move the axle backwards on the frame, but I'm kind of liking the idea of adding a tag axle. I think that would actually be an easier task to complete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thebonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #104 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Also hanging all that weight off the back will transfer a lot of the unloaded front axle weight to the rear.

Have fun on your wheeling trip, I'm jelly
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Forget the tag... move the rear end back a foot.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 193950
For this trip, I would look at running a weight distribution system on your trailer to push some more weight up to the front axle and get some weight off of the back axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebonds View Post
Kicking around ideas for improvement, there is room to to raise the rear tank up giving clearance to move the axle backwards on the frame, but I'm kind of liking the idea of adding a tag axle. I think that would actually be an easier task to complete.
What if you put a tank right behind the cab on top of the deck, under the ramps?
Or, dual tanks on each side of the driveshaft at the back of the cab/front of the bed?
Then you could move the driveshaft back a foot and that would probbaly fix most of your weight issues.

Aaron Z
Old 04-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #107 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 14372
Send a message via AIM to wrathORC
So while you're wheeling...

Contemplate abandoning the existing bed for a purpose-built bed. I'd design it around rubber band rollers on the front of the rig. Put the trail tires on the bed. This will help you get some weight on the front axle of the truck and also get the weight lower.

In fact, if it were mine, I'd probably consider making a slide rail to ride the rig up on the bed with no tires on the front axle. The part I wouldn't like is having all that weight up high and moving around, let alone having all of that weight.
wrathORC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Zero fucks given about weight anymore. Pulls and drives like nothing there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I'm out until trip is over. ✌

thebonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 74825
Looks good, what model camper is that?
Back Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
I like the build, though I don’t get it. Seems like a super-c would have been easier.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 111258
Id drive with that...Im sure I have pulled worse...fuck it and ride on. Looks good to me...like the build.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 172746
going to eat those rear tires with that weight/tq....it would still be cheap to sell and buy a F550, frame, brakes, tires, everything bigger.... then move the axle, add a tag, pay overweight ticket....dont understand the want of a small truck that would want to push right to an over the limit
Old 04-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 25632
No shit, we had f450 that weighed 16k at my old work. It would eat lower end 19.5s and Dana 80s.

This truck is rated for less and has wimpy tires...... But fuck it right.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebonds View Post
Zero fucks given about weight anymore. Pulls and drives like nothing there. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I'm out until trip is over. ✌

Inquiring minds want to know, what weight did you end up with on each axle group once you setup the WDH?

Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 04-15-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 840905
Enjoy the trip Bondsy! And for the rest of you whiney bitches. He would never put it on the road if he thought for a second that his kids and wife were in danger. There's criticism in whatever you do but there's no reason to be disrespectful fuck wads about it. Ive personally seen him build shit. He doesn't half ass anything and the safety of his girls is top priority. Hop off your high horses and enjoy the build or get the fuck out. Once again have a good time bondsy!

Last edited by Dj.Turner24; 04-15-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Dj.Turner24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 840905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I'm pretty sure when you are fucking stupid, you know you are fucking stupid and knowingly continue to be fucking stupid, it makes even more fucking stupid.
Your mother should have swallowed you.

Last edited by Dj.Turner24; 04-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj.Turner24 View Post
Aw, am I supposed to get mad now? How about you stop diddling your mom long enough to get a brain and die in a fire?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Enjoy the trip Bondsy! And for the rest of you whiney bitches. He would never put it on the road if he thought for a second that his kids and wife were in danger. There's criticism in whatever you do but there's no reason to be disrespectful fuck wads about it. Ive personally seen him build shit. He doesn't half ass anything and the safety of his girls is top priority. Hop off your high horses and enjoy the build or get the fuck out. Once again have a good time bondsy!
This entire "build" is 100% half ass....
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 684874
Quote:
I don't care what he does with his wife and kids, but that shit train puts all of our wives and kids in danger.

........and get your tongue out of his asshole, he's a big boy.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:51 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 840905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue&Goldie2 View Post
Quote:
I don't care what he does with his wife and kids, but that shit train puts all of our wives and kids in danger.

........and get your tongue out of his asshole, he's a big boy.

You clearly have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Good day to you kind gentleman.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 840905
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Quote:
This entire "build" is 100% half ass....
😂 I didn't take the time to read back but I'm gonna guess you either agree with or you are the one that said to trust u bolts over welds up top?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #122 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You clearly have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Good day to you kind gentleman.
Quote:
😂 I didn't take the time to read back but I'm gonna guess you either agree with or you are the one that said to trust u bolts over welds up top?
You joined yesterday just to make 4 posts in this thread? Go fuck yourself to death. I'm betting you're the OP or very closely tied to him.

The exact reason that OP is a dumbass is the same reason that I ended up abandoning a trailer setup that I had already spent way too much on. My truck would pull and stop it fine and I had no concerns in that regard. What I did have concerns about was every other dumb fucker on the road that might cut me off, sideswipe me or whatever else they may do that would lead to an accident that wouldn't be my fault....until they scraped up all the parts off the highway and found that I was overweight. I sure as fuck wasn't interested in finding out how the insurance companies would handle that information.

Last edited by bgaidan; 04-16-2018 at 06:15 AM.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 172746
New guy probably is the OP trying to defend his lost cause lol...There is no way to defend it, its half ass crap. IDC how you look at it or how it feels. Its overweight and unsafe. Someone please move this whole thread to BDL
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #124 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 202961
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Inquiring minds want to know, what weight did you end up with on each axle group once you setup the WDH?

Aaron Z
No WDH in that picture best I can tell. So figure he's got another 800 pounds on the already overloaded axle...
92_Chevy_1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 74825
Meh, doesnt look like the rear axle has any more weight on it than what most big horse trailers have. Shit some trailers have 30ft+ between the pin and axles. Rough equivalent pin weight of a 23,200k (5800lb @ 25% pin weight) horse trailer which is the trucks max tow rating. So really its just on the edge +/- on the rear axle. Those rears are grossly overloaded in the horse trailer world.

Last edited by Back Woods; 04-16-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Back Woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in