Talon2006ís long arm build 2002 2ng gen CTD. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Talon2006ís long arm build 2002 2ng gen CTD.

I have had this diesel truck for a few years now. It has acquired a few nicknames to include Miller high life @guidolyons Goldie locks from my wife, and my other less friendly pirate friends generally refer to it as the millennialís coal rolling Riced out brodozer.

So I have been itching for my first project. I live in an apartment in Houston and have a little one car garage/fab shop, and decided it was time to build something ďcoolĒ and attempt to improve the ride of my truck. Figured I would put this in the tow rig section as it seems more appropriate for a long bed quad cab diesel.

I have been drooling over a long arm setup for years. There is a pretty sweet radius arm build on Cummins forum, along with a few here. Though I just didnít want to go that route, I need all the flex I can get for the curbs at the mall! Fo2

The bds and other long arm kits didnít appeal due to the short and long arm setup. This leaves a few others which I got most of my inspiration from. Sure, I could have bought a kit but that would be cheating, plus I have a welder, fusion 360. Cnc plasma cutter and my home plasma cutter. It was time to fab something! Ontop of that most long arm kits require at least 3Ē of lift, if not 5Ē. The dodge off road one is the lowest sitting one and I think they even want 3Ē with some body mount cutting, and also require the lower links to be cut off. I wanted to keep this Incase I ever needed to go back to factory.

So, first I had to acquire a tubing bender. I had found some plans on here and the morning I was going to search for some 3/4Ē steel I found a model 32 for sale for a steal! Got it home and made a frame for it and grabbed a air over hydraulic mount.

I ended up using exhaust clamps to mount the ram... yes I know it is going to fly apart kill me and also kill the bus full of nuns. Those casters... well I live in apartment and shopping carts are always in the dumpster....

I started playing with fusion and got a general idea going. Yes, I had a ton of influence from kits that have already been made... but I really couldnít found anything I liked better. Plus, I still ended up having to figure out all the measurements and ran a few calculations on the 4 link excel sheet.

At this point, still have a ton to figure out, along with what joints to use and materials to acquire!
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
sub'd
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
are you planning to use the factory axle mounts?

I have contemplated doing the same thing for my 02, so i will be following.

I have also thought about swapping to an 05+ SD 60 front, but dont really need that; atleast until my UBs crap out.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49997
If you need an extra hand I am good at drinking beer and watching you screw up.
rugby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon2006 View Post
, and my other less friendly pirate friends generally refer to it as the millennialís coal rolling Riced out brodozer.

!
No we donít. Itís the millennialís coal Rolling riced out wife is too hot for him brodozer.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 86724
pics of wife?

you know, to verify the name.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
sub'd
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisePWoffrd View Post
are you planning to use the factory axle mounts?

I have contemplated doing the same thing for my 02, so i will be following.

I have also thought about swapping to an 05+ SD 60 front, but dont really need that; atleast until my UBs crap out.
I am planning on using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
No we donít. Itís the millennialís coal Rolling riced out wife is too hot for him brodozer.
haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
pics of wife?

you know, to verify the name.
I might need to work on that....
Old 09-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:

I might need to work on that....
I can help here
Attached Images

Last edited by Rttoys; 09-20-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Sub'd for the dash build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
In! Thanks for the chance.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 684874
Sub'd for more pics of the wife.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Started this off cutting out the main plate of the mount. I knew where I was going to mount on the frame. There is a big hole right where the upper link bolts to, and four smaller holes around it. Made it easy to decide where to mount it.

I didnít want to drive across town to use the cnc plasma. I ended up making a drawing 3/16Ē smaller so I could print it and glue it to some plywood. I then cut it out of plywood to trace it with the plasma cutter on some steel plate (hypertherm 45). Note, I only made the edges I traced 3-16Ē smaller. The side against the edge of the plate was not offset in.

From there I took the plates outside and clamped them to the frame, that way I could use a punch and mark my holes. If only I had a centering punch of the right size.....

Used my digital angle finders a ton! Thanks to the pirate who let me know they were on sale in shop and tools! Basically used them to see what angle the frame was at then to match the bracket to the frame. After it was square I punched the holes and moved to the other side. I dont have the 9/16Ē bolts so I used 3/8 for mock up.

Next is to start making the upper and lower mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 56256
Sub'd
Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Cool build, I'll be watching

Props for making due with a small space

You've got a lot of stuff in your rental garage, make sure you're covered under a renters policy, I had a nasty homeowners claim, I make sure my tools are covered, and watch out for my imaginary Internet friends
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue&Goldie2 View Post
Sub'd for better pics of the wife. :-)
Fify

Last edited by LeadfootCJ7; 09-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.
LeadfootCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Cool build, I'll be watching

Props for making due with a small space

You've got a lot of stuff in your rental garage, make sure you're covered under a renters policy, I had a nasty homeowners claim, I make sure my tools are covered, and watch out for my imaginary Internet friends
I defiantly made sure I was.... Getting it broken into is a pretty big fear of mine. I generally keep the door closed as much as I can to keep snoopers out.

Now that I think of it I need to update the pictures of what I have in there.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Have not had a ton of time to update this the last few days... stupid school!

Though I did get a few things cut out! I originally cut the mounts out using the plywood technique but didnít like the size and shape of them. Wasnít due to the technique, I just drew them funky in fusion. Finally got checked out on the cnc plasma at the makers space and made good use of it!

Also, I drew this up a while ago. I need to cut out a mock up on the laser cutter to see how it is going to fit together size wise. Got discouraged when my buddy recomended I make tabs for it all to get it together in the wood state. I really just want to glue it or duct tape it to gather for the 15 min Iím gonna hold it to the truck and call it good!

I soon realized that making tabs and slots for a bumper with geometry like this was a pita and this got put in the back burner back then.

I also would love to find a way to make a somewhat ďhiddenĒ compartment to hide a winch in. On top of that it would be even cooler to have the winch removable so I could quickly swap it to the back.

I have always considered putting a winch on a receiver mount and keeping it in my toolbox or can. But if I could make something more trick then that it would be cool! Ideas?

This is another bumper I built about a year ago. I need to put mounts on it to put on the truck, then cut the sides down to final dimensions.

That being said I kind of lost interest in it. I think it looks ok, but I know now I could build something way cooler looking, and would be cool to have the same removable winch mounting system.

Also, my welds have improved a lot since then! :Fo2

Old 09-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Receiver hitches, stout, universal, decent locks available, rear hitch, front hitch, and the storage hitch in the bed at the front can also be used to load a dead quad or safe or whatever, even used for a loading a car trailer

A more pimp variation of this would be to have a front abs rear bumper with the same profile, the center chunk pulls out and the winch chunk slides in, with matching profile, have an empty chunk to swap ends with.

Reality is, there's decent winches for $300 these days, I'd just put one on each end and forget about it
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
In for some fab.

Bumper looks better than the last one I built, which I now realize was around 10 years ago.

I like the idea of a movable winch that isnít permanently attached to the front bumper. Itís something I plan on looking into in the near future. I would like one that I can move front to back, and take off when I donít anticipate needing it.

Aggie06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Receiver hitches, stout, universal, decent locks available, rear hitch, front hitch, and the storage hitch in the bed at the front can also be used to load a dead quad or safe or whatever, even used for a loading a car trailer

A more pimp variation of this would be to have a front abs rear bumper with the same profile, the center chunk pulls out and the winch chunk slides in, with matching profile, have an empty chunk to swap ends with.

Reality is, there's decent winches for $300 these days, I'd just put one on each end and forget about it
That is a good point. I have defiantly thought about the receiver hitch, but hate how they look hanging off.

I was thinking about some type of siding setup that used hitch pins to secure it.

Mount the winch to some 1/4" plate? Maybe 3/8? have this plate slide into some slides to keep Z axis travel from moving, then a few hitch pins to secure it x and y. I will try to draw something up in CAD tonight.

Bumper wise I would make the top part of the front bumper on a hinge and it can just lift up, kind of like a grill top.

Rear bumper the license plate area would slide down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie06 View Post
In for some fab.

Bumper looks better than the last one I built, which I now realize was around 10 years ago.

I like the idea of a movable winch that isnít permanently attached to the front bumper. Itís something I plan on looking into in the near future. I would like one that I can move front to back, and take off when I donít anticipate needing it.

Thanks! I hope to deliver!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Quote:
That is a good point. I have defiantly thought about the receiver hitch, but hate how they look hanging off.

I was thinking about some type of siding setup that used hitch pins to secure it.

Mount the winch to some 1/4" plate? Maybe 3/8? have this plate slide into some slides to keep Z axis travel from moving, then a few hitch pins to secure it x and y. I will try to draw something up in CAD tonight.

Bumper wise I would make the top part of the front bumper on a hinge and it can just lift up, kind of like a grill top.

Rear bumper the license plate area would slide down.

My old truck had a ranch hand bumper that the PO had installed. It had a front receiver hitch that stuck out. I liked the utility, but really didnít like the looks.

I have seen some bumpers with a built in receiver hitch that has the front face flush with the bumper. They have a access point to put the pin through the tube.

Aggie06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Subbed for the fab work, pics of the wife would make better
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2018, 09:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
Sub'd for the dash build.
His dash is fucked. Typical Dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby View Post
If you need an extra hand I am good at drinking beer and watching you screw up.
Wait, that's my job.

C'mon where's the pics of the long arms?
Name:  IMG_8771.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  IMG_87741.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8775.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0062.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  68.5 KB
Came out pretty slick.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 09-25-2018 at 10:12 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2018, 10:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Mad flex yo.

Name:  IMG_0181.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0179.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0177.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  102.3 KB
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Mad flex yo.

]
Donít forget the alignment pic.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in