Flatbed Trucks- How long for a TJ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Flatbed Trucks- How long for a TJ?

I'm weighing my options on how to haul my TJ when I go to live on the road full time. So one option is to get a flatbed truck and tow a trailer behind with the Jeep TJ loaded on the flatbed. Just trying to get an idea of how long a flatbed would I need with a stock WB TJ?

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Scars are just to remind you of where you have been, Not where you're going.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
12-13' is long enough. The issue is going to be where the rear tires r so u can get enough weight foward for the front axle.

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 220494
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebonds View Post
My crawler is currently torn apart waiting for a new axle shaft to arrive, so borrowed a buddies monster willys tuck for a test load. Nothing collapsed or exploded so I'm pretty happy with current progress.

Whatever you do, donít do what that guy did.
broncokyle88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Well since I'm already here let me explain where I'm at.

In May 2018 I had my lower right leg amputated. I'm a disabled veteran so I'm not rich so can't just buy anything I would like. I'm trying to figure out how to be able to haul my Jeep and my Harley Road Glide with me on extended trips. I'm a single dad and my daughter has about 3 years of high school left. Once she is finished with school dad can go play. So I plan on heading out to all the places I have read about all over this great country and go wheeling and sight seeing.

So one thought is to get a Sundowner trailer with a 20' garage. They are close to $100,00 which is more than I want to spend.
Next idea is to make another RedNeck Toyhauler like I had before.

This time I would go longer. This was a 28' deck trailer. I'd most likely go another 5' of deck. But getting my bike onto the trailer would be the biggest issue.

So my last thought was to get a flatbed truck, Ram 4500/5500 or Ford F450/550 with a bed long enough to haul the Jeep on it and then get a bumper pull toyhauler with a 10' garage to put the bike into.

So I'm open to ideas that any of you might have. Please think of me having to climb into and out of it with crutches sometimes.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 578697
Ive posted this a few times. 2006 stock tj. Flatbed on my 5500 is 11'4" long. My ramps are 7.5 long. I load facing forward now as spare tire makes it.to long to load backwards. Good luck with your adventure.

Sent from my speak & spell
greenenvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 174963
I would think the redneck toy hauler, with a side ramp for the bike. but it all kind of depends on what you already have on hand as a starting point and any other things you might want to do. Whether sometimes go without the camper or without the Jeep, etc or use the tow rig for other stuff. Got lots to weigh.
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
I'd vote redneck toyhauler. You can get whatever small trailer or truck bed camper you want; can leave enough room to upgrade if the opportunity arises. With a side ramp like mentioned above for your Harley I'd think you'd be good to go. Plus, with that HD trailer you could add all kinds of stuff to it; Tool/storage boxes under the sides of the truck camper or under the sides of the trailer. Could drop in extra tanks for fuel, fresh water or even extra black/gray tanks for the camper. Having that trailer as a platform just gives you so many opportunities to add to it for whatever you need.
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 223473
Another vote for redneck TH. Either that, or a truck camper and flatbed trailer. Like said above, put a side ramp on for the Harley and go to town.

Thank you for your service sir, and I hope you have an amazing retirement!
Dave In Florida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 108006
I would think about going with another redneck toy hauler with a longer trailer. Slide the camper back far enough to build an enclosed box at the front under the camper overhang for the bike. Door on both sides and one of the winch style auto motorcycle loaders. Fully protect the bike from the elements under lock and key.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Well I have a 2006 Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab right now. That is part of why I am trying to figure out what to do. If I need to buy a new truck I will but I'd rather keep what I have. It's paid off next month which means I can start throwing funds at the tranny and then the engine. It's only got 117,000 miles on it at this point.

I was STUPID and traded my trailer and camper in on a motorhome because my ex-wife said there wasn't enough room in the camper. Wish I had never done that.
So I would be starting all over again as for a trailer and camper. This time I would get a camper with double or triple slides to make it easier to live in. My one concern is getting up into bed at night once I take my leg off or those times I can't wear my prosthetic because of an issue with my leg.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 578697
[QUOTE=wildman4x4nut;44102198
I was STUPID and traded my trailer and camper in on a motorhome because my ex-wife said there wasn't enough room in the camper. Wish I had never done that.
.[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS replace the wife before the camper/ truck/toys.

greenenvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Skip the 550/5500 series trucks unless they are a extended wheelbase to get the weight on the front axle. I looked at doing this last summer, and the problem i found is that because of the short wheel base of the truck I'd be at the rear axle weight limit with no room for cargo or a trailer. Now if the truck was an extended wheel base (say 180" or longer) like a roll back 550/5500, wouldn't have been a problem as I'd get about 1500lbs+ sent to the front axle and balance things out, but now your talking a pretty big truck, so I jumped up to a medium duty truck:

food for thought.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenenvy View Post
ALWAYS replace the wife before the camper/ truck/toys.

Yes well we live and we learn. Won't be making that mistake again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustange70 View Post
Skip the 550/5500 series trucks unless they are a extended wheelbase to get the weight on the front axle. I looked at doing this last summer, and the problem i found is that because of the short wheel base of the truck I'd be at the rear axle weight limit with no room for cargo or a trailer. Now if the truck was an extended wheel base (say 180" or longer) like a roll back 550/5500, wouldn't have been a problem as I'd get about 1500lbs+ sent to the front axle and balance things out, but now your talking a pretty big truck, so I jumped up to a medium duty truck:

food for thought.
I like the idea. Will have to look at this more.

If I was to go with another RedNeck Toyhauler this trailer from PJ just might be the ticket.
https://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers/...-channel--tilt

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5295
Skip the mdt and go hdt

Eventually ill change the bed to a roll back. Its an all in one and its nice not pulling a trailer sometimes
Attached Images

We-Rock Stock Class
Team Mall Crawler #609

Sponsored by:
The Drive Shaft Shop

Delaware Jeep Assoc.
DE Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 619745
I would go with the redneck toy hauler, or even go with a truck camper and a flatbed bumper pull trailer. I definitely wouldn't go with a regular toy hauler, considering just a used one of those would cost more than the gooseneck and truck camper, then you would still have to buy a truck to haul your jeep with

I used to haul my trackers with a Dodge flatbed, and it is way more of a pain in the ass than just using a trailer,

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
friskydingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Jeeper View Post
Skip the mdt and go hdt

Eventually ill change the bed to a roll back. Its an all in one and its nice not pulling a trailer sometimes
Love the setup

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Am I correct in thinking that the hardest part of this deal is going to be you loading the harley on some kind of trailer or truck? Also, climbing up and down an MDT flatbed might be difficult over time. Seems like it would be better to put the toys on some kind of trailer that has a lower deck height to make loading, unloading, strapping easier, then pull that with some form of truck camper, motorhome whatever.

Just my $0.02

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Jeeper View Post
Skip the mdt and go hdt

Only HDT i'd do is a COE, ford cl9000, freightshaker, mack, etc, soooo

In all seriousness though, hdt's are a bit difficult to keep parked in the city i live in, my intersmashable is the biggest i can go and still park on my property in the city. There are weight limits (that 12k mark) that i'm under, also its a hydraulic brake truck that anyone with a normal license can drive, also keeps insurance cheap.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the hardest part of this deal is going to be you loading the harley on some kind of trailer or truck? Also, climbing up and down an MDT flatbed might be difficult over time. Seems like it would be better to put the toys on some kind of trailer that has a lower deck height to make loading, unloading, strapping easier, then pull that with some form of truck camper, motorhome whatever.

Just my $0.02

Kevin
Kevin,
Yes in trying to keep the deck height down is one of the issues. Hell getting into and out of my mildly lifted Dodge is a pain right now. This is why it really will come down the a gooseneck or a motorhome I think. I have never tried to get into or out of my Jeep parked inside a enclosed trailer.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ford Bigot

Member # 31227
Millenium Trailer, Shadow Trailer, ATC, Continental Cargo, Wells and Forest River (to name a few) all make enclosed trailers with living quarters that would fit what you are asking for a lot less than $100k.

Don't flatbed your truck.

FordFascist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 17632
You could try to find a toyhauler motorhome with a garage just big enough for the bike and then tow a trailer that just fits the jeep. Would most likely be the easiest to use combo given your leg situation.
Travis..
Old 10-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 44231
Why not cut the frame and build a custom flatbed for the Megacab? You could make it pretty low slung so you drive over the rear axle/fenders to help keep COG lower and make it easier for you to get up and down. Then go for a bumper pull toy hauler for camping and the scooter.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFascist View Post
Millenium Trailer, Shadow Trailer, ATC, Continental Cargo, Wells and Forest River (to name a few) all make enclosed trailers with living quarters that would fit what you are asking for a lot less than $100k.

Don't flatbed your truck.
These are the ones I've seen. But I am more worried about getting out and in to the Jeep once it is in the trailer.

https://ocalatrailer.com/toy-hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
You could try to find a toyhauler motorhome with a garage just big enough for the bike and then tow a trailer that just fits the jeep. Would most likely be the easiest to use combo given your leg situation.
Travis..
Yes I have been looking at these. Money is the big issue. But from working on them before I am also picky as it has to be a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
Why not cut the frame and build a custom flatbed for the Megacab? You could make it pretty low slung so you drive over the rear axle/fenders to help keep COG lower and make it easier for you to get up and down. Then go for a bumper pull toy hauler for camping and the scooter.
And this is one of the ideas. I was worried about weight on a 1 ton as opposed to a Ram 4500/F450 or larger.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2018, 03:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post
I would think the redneck toy hauler, with a side ramp for the bike.
Why not a redneck toy hauler with a davit crane that has powered swing (run the pivot to under the deck and have a arm on the bottom with a hydraulic cylinder?)?
A small hydraulic pump hooked to the house batteries with 3 circuits (pivot, boom up/down, hydraulic winch for lifting)
Then you could pick the bike up and set it right on the deck.

Aaron Z
aczlan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
Why not a redneck toy hauler with a davit crane that has powered swing (run the pivot to under the deck and have a arm on the bottom with a hydraulic cylinder?)?
A small hydraulic pump hooked to the house batteries with 3 circuits (pivot, boom up/down, hydraulic winch for lifting)
Then you could pick the bike up and set it right on the deck.

Aaron Z
That is an interesting idea. I really like the tilt deck trailer I posted a link for earlier.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in