Need to buy a new truck-Which one? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 93177
I have no complaints with my 2018 ram 3500 mega with the aisin transmission that was one of the things I was looking for was the aisin transmission I didn't want the 68.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by krazykiller; 12-31-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Dam auto correct
krazykiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I dd a 2016 f450 loaded at 16000lbs 1000 miles a week. I couldnt imagine a nicer truck to drive. 80,000 trouble free miles to date with just oil changes
Is it a gas or diesel?
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Is it a gas or diesel?
Diesel. Crazy amount of power that you never feel. Accelerates fast, smooth, and seamlessly to 80 without realizing it
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 04:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Diesel. Crazy amount of power that you never feel. Accelerates fast, smooth, and seamlessly to 80 without realizing it
Those 6.7s really move.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 05:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 21893
I was surprised by the Ford 6.7.

I'm still a Dodge/Ram guy but the Ford could make me change that. They are really nice and hearing from other owners that they aren't having issues is a big thing.
I know you never know and even if it is brand new crap could happen.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Scars are just to remind you of where you have been, Not where you're going.
wildman4x4nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 355210
If you're gonna use it up and replace it in 5 years or so and won't spend enough time in it at once to care about a subpar interior: Ram

If it'll take you 8-10 years to rack up miles and you'll be running hours on end at a time: Ford

The guys I know who DD buy Rams for bro points or easy resale. Those of us who only take the truck out when it's loaded and cross state borders like it's a board game buy Fords for long term value and comfort
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 55560
I haven't read the replies but I had a 2013 Ram 3500 Laramie with the Aisin trans, 4.11 gearing, 11.8" rear end, HD cooling system, etc (rated at 29k lbs). I would tow my 16k 5th wheel toy hauler without issue. Sold it to my dad and bought his 05 6 speed since I wasn't using it much and I've regretted it ever since. Hills that I could go up at 70 are now 40mph in the 05. We were headed across the 40 in summer in the Mohave desert and I would hit one of the big grades, drop it 2 gears to 4th and my coolant and oil temps would actually be cooler at the top of the hill than they were at the bottom. That HD cooling package is impressive.

DEF sucks but you learn to deal with it. Range sucks so get a Titan tank if you want to go more than 200 miles at a pop. Cooled seats are amazing. Built in engine braking is amazing. I miss it every time I hop into my 05.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:26 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 101209
id recommend fixing your truck since your 3 to 4 years out...keep the receipts for the trans and recoup when you sell it.

i have a 2017 ram 3500 with aisin and air ride, does ride really nice loaded and unloaded...better ride unloaded vs my buddys 2016 chevy dually.

it towed my 16k toyhauler very well...and tows my new to me 21k toyhauler like a boss..

look around...i paid around 9k off sticker by searching dealer websites. ..

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
I haven't read the replies but I had a 2013 Ram 3500 Laramie with the Aisin trans, 4.11 gearing, 11.8" rear end, HD cooling system, etc (rated at 29k lbs). I would tow my 16k 5th wheel toy hauler without issue. Sold it to my dad and bought his 05 6 speed since I wasn't using it much and I've regretted it ever since. Hills that I could go up at 70 are now 40mph in the 05. We were headed across the 40 in summer in the Mohave desert and I would hit one of the big grades, drop it 2 gears to 4th and my coolant and oil temps would actually be cooler at the top of the hill than they were at the bottom. That HD cooling package is impressive.

DEF sucks but you learn to deal with it. Range sucks so get a Titan tank if you want to go more than 200 miles at a pop. Cooled seats are amazing. Built in engine braking is amazing. I miss it every time I hop into my 05.

my aisin trans stays at 163 deg towing on the higway in 110 deg heat..no joke..

def is tolerable but it sucks to only have a 5.5 gal tank...the chevy is like 10 gal iirc, but its nice to have 15k mile oil changes vs the 5k in my 2010. and running my truck loaded means the tk does an active regen after 1500 to 2k miles.

i put a 45 gal tank toolbox in the bed so i can run around 4 to 500 miles before filling up

Edward Murrow
Old 01-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 223473
Don't discount those features that you may not feel you need.

I recently bought a commuter car with the smart cruise control and ever since I've been trying to think of a way to integrate it into my OBS ford tow pig. It REALLY comes in handy. I can see it coming even more handy on extended drives because you won't be as fatigued in stop and go traffic. You can let the truck speed up/slow down for you, so you don't have to be laser focused 100% of the time.

I'm also falling in love with steering wheel controls, bluetooth audio and calling, etc. For long distance drives, these trivial things can really make you safer and/or allow you to travel farther between breaks.
Dave In Florida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT75FLH View Post
my aisin trans stays at 163 deg towing on the higway in 110 deg heat..no joke..

def is tolerable but it sucks to only have a 5.5 gal tank...the chevy is like 10 gal iirc, but its nice to have 15k mile oil changes vs the 5k in my 2010. and running my truck loaded means the tk does an active regen after 1500 to 2k miles.

i put a 45 gal tank toolbox in the bed so i can run around 4 to 500 miles before filling up
The bigger tank would have changed everything about my truck. My next one will definitely have one.

Oil changes were another thing that sucked on my 13. They just don't give enough room to get to the oil filter. I'm sure there is a trick I didn't know but it was an hour job vs 5-10 minutes on the 05.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 853678
Id fix your truck, its worth more fixed anyways and then hunt for a used low mile truck when the time comes.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Well the debate is done and over with.

After talking to a few dealerships and the cost of the used Ford compared to a new Ram I decided to buy a 2018 Ram 3500 DRW CC. The dealerships in the Seattle area just wouldn't deal as much as I wanted/needed. On Sunday night it dawned on me to take a look at Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID. Man do these guys have a HUGE dealership. It isn't just Rams. And I got $14,000 of MSRP on the truck I picked.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by wildman4x4nut; 01-01-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #39 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
do you want to sell the 06 mega cab? How much?
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 79509

Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 56430
I have a 2018 Ram 3500.

Since the Aisen transmission is technically an option, just make sure your purchase has it.

The Ram has a slightly better reputation regarding engine reliability. But a FAR better reputation regarding engine serviceability. The Ram's Achilles heel is it's transmission, which is junk. Upgrading to the Aisen essentially gives you the reliability of the Allison or Ford factory units. The Ram's other weakness is the front axle, as it's prone to weak ball joints, which is worsened by lift kits. Ford turbos have had lots of problems over the years, and, every upgrade claims to have fixed them, until the next generation comes out, and the turbo problems seem to come back up again.

Not sure if the F350 is now "Military Grade Beer Cans" or not, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms if you watch U-tube videos of torn up sheet metal panels. The Ram is steel, but, it's still prone to minor dents from little dingers.

My rig's bone stock, single rear wheel, and I'm getting 12.5 mpg towing 10k over the Rocky Mountains at 80 mph. Best mileage is 20.0 mpg driving extensive highway speeds with no load. Average around 16.8 or 16.9 normal use.

I take 5 gallons of DEF for about 6 or 7 tanks of fuel, but, when towing heavier loads (like heading to S. Dakota to wheel) it'll burn 5 gallons of DEF in around 12-1300 miles.

And, when I purchased, the dealer's 'deal' was a huge savings. Also, you can shop online at a few places to find the current deal. Try Idaho They'll prostitute Rams without too much hassle
Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 21893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
do you want to sell the 06 mega cab? How much?
Sorry I am trading it in and I'm in Idaho right now and will be going to the dealer soon. They are giving me $21,000 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
I have a 2018 Ram 3500.

Since the Aisen transmission is technically an option, just make sure your purchase has it.

The Ram has a slightly better reputation regarding engine reliability. But a FAR better reputation regarding engine serviceability. The Ram's Achilles heel is it's transmission, which is junk. Upgrading to the Aisen essentially gives you the reliability of the Allison or Ford factory units. The Ram's other weakness is the front axle, as it's prone to weak ball joints, which is worsened by lift kits. Ford turbos have had lots of problems over the years, and, every upgrade claims to have fixed them, until the next generation comes out, and the turbo problems seem to come back up again.

Not sure if the F350 is now "Military Grade Beer Cans" or not, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms if you watch U-tube videos of torn up sheet metal panels. The Ram is steel, but, it's still prone to minor dents from little dingers.

My rig's bone stock, single rear wheel, and I'm getting 12.5 mpg towing 10k over the Rocky Mountains at 80 mph. Best mileage is 20.0 mpg driving extensive highway speeds with no load. Average around 16.8 or 16.9 normal use.

I take 5 gallons of DEF for about 6 or 7 tanks of fuel, but, when towing heavier loads (like heading to S. Dakota to wheel) it'll burn 5 gallons of DEF in around 12-1300 miles.

And, when I purchased, the dealer's 'deal' was a huge savings. Also, you can shop online at a few places to find the current deal. Try Idaho They'll prostitute Rams without too much hassle
Yes this new rig has the Aisin transmission and the only thing it doesn't have is 4.10 gearing. It's 3.73 for now and when I get ready to hit the road full time I'll regear it to 4.10 or 4.30. I'm in Idaho at Dave Smith and they are giving me one hell of a deal on the new truck.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #43 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
Sorry I am trading it in and I'm in Idaho right now and will be going to the dealer soon. They are giving me $21,000 for it.
$21K for a 13 yo truck with a blown trans and $14k off the sticker. Shit maybe I should drive my 01 F350 out there...

Did you stop and buy knee pads on the way out there???

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Try the Dennis Dillon out of Boise, I just bought a tradesman and got 9k off sticker locally. I could have probably saved another 1k, but it was a 8+ hours each way, 2 days plus fuel .. meh . Dave smith is pretty lean on 2500 tradesman short beds for whatever reason.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
Quote:
Wow, can't beat that. Congrats on the new truck.
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
$21K for a 13 yo truck with a blown trans and $14k off the sticker. Shit maybe I should drive my 01 F350 out there...

Did you stop and buy knee pads on the way out there???
my buddy got 21k for his 2010 mc 3500 srw 4x4 with a smoked 68rfe also...i couldn't believe it...his was traded in , in chicago..in 2017

op. i have the 4.10 gears in mune...i love them for everything except running empty on the highway ....my best unloaded, running around 85 mph is 12.9 mpg.....when the wife drives she gets 16mpg on the highway. ..

i put in 255 80 17 tires..so my effective gearing is around 3.90.....i think youll like the 3.73 gears for all around ..especially on a dd with no trailer. ..

i have another friend who towed a 40ft toyhauler with the 3.73 ram 3500 and was fine with it

Edward Murrow
Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 21893
So this truck had a MSRP of $79,615 and after all the rebates and discounts the price was lowered to $68,894 then I added $4,130 in accessories. They gave me $21,000 trade in on my 2006 Ram 3500 w/121,449 miles. So I felt good about what I got for my old truck.

When I called them I was only looking for a Laramie package but the only colors they had for a dually was Black, White or Red. The main thing I was looking for was the power adjustable pedals becasue I am a right leg amputee and need them to make it easier to drive. So that knocked out a few rigs right there. I really wanted another Mega Cab but of course the only one that they had in stock was a 68RFE tranny truck WO adjustable pedals. The tranny made me not interested any how. So as I was looking thru their website for another rig I came across this truck in RV Match Walnut Brown. So when the salesman checked it wasn't in transit but it also didn't show it had been delivered. So he went looking for it. Called me back 30 minutes later and said they had found the truck, sent me some pictures of it and then we discussed price. That was right at the high end of what I could afford. So I was like let's see what kind of deal we can work out. 4 days later I drove it home. I'll miss my old truck but I am tickled PINK with this new truck and all the extra stuff it can do. It'll take me 6 months to figure out all the stuff that it is capable of.

When I called I didn't even know what the Laramie Longhorn Southfork package was. I had to go onto the Ram website and look it all up. This is defiantly more truck than I had ever thought about buying but when I called them I was looking at a 2017 F450 Platinum in Black which I really didn't want that has 28K miles on it and the price is $71K. So when he told me the price on this I was like HELL YES. I get a brand new truck with no miles on it instead of a used truck. Now I wouldn't have gotten such a good price if it wasn't a 2018 and the end of the year. So while I know technically it is a year old it is still a new truck.

I opted for them to remove the stock chrome tube steps and install Amp power boards, which BTW I am super impressed with at this point. I also got a B&W gooseneck hitch, spray in bed liner and Weather Tech floor liners.

My check engine light had come on and when I checked it the code was for the turbo wastegate solenoid. Their mechanic told me that this could be what was causing the tranny to act up. I have no idea if this it correct but it is now their problem.

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 21893

I'm an ASSHAT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Looks real good, I like the brown too. The shorter tires that come on the duallies should be a good match for your gears and drivetrain.
Travis..
Old 01-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 64213
Quote:
I was surprised by the Ford 6.7.

I'm still a Dodge/Ram guy but the Ford could make me change that. They are really nice and hearing from other owners that they aren't having issues is a big thing.
I know you never know and even if it is brand new crap could happen.
My only beef on the fords is the damn engine bays are crowded as fuck.
I loved my 2001 F350 DRW PSD (overbuilt, beef, reliable, etc.) but I took a deep breath every single fucking time I did maintenance as I knew my hands, arms, etc. were about to get fucked up as I shoved them into the nooks and crannies of the engine bay.

Yes, that's a lot of cursing....I have big hands that don't like small spaces.

OP, congrats on your truck, she's a beauty.
I have no real insight on ram/fiat reliability aside from internet chats but fiat has definitely improved ram's appearances.
My only gripe is the cutout in the middle of the back seat and I prefer space behind the back seat (ford) but that is really personal preference.

Last edited by 89breaker; 01-04-2019 at 10:48 PM.
89breaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in