Pricing a LB7 that hasn't had injectors done - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 199790
Pricing a LB7 that hasn't had injectors done

I'm looking at a 2001 Duramax that looks fairly clean and the pricing is right in line with kbb.

The only issue I see is that the injectors have not been replaced. The truck has 200k on it, and that seems a little odd to me. I had a 2003 LB7 and had to swap injectors around 115k if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking that the cost of a set of injectors need to come off the price for it to be worth it, or have the remans been lasting a lot longer than than I remember?

Also, dmax because it's about the same price as clapped out 6.0/4L80(which is pretty much all I need) trucks around here, with more capability. It will serve non DD duties, I made the mistake of DD'ing an LB7 before.
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
I'm looking at a 2001 Duramax that looks fairly clean and the pricing is right in line with kbb.

The only issue I see is that the injectors have not been replaced. The truck has 200k on it, and that seems a little odd to me. I had a 2003 LB7 and had to swap injectors around 115k if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking that the cost of a set of injectors need to come off the price for it to be worth it, or have the remans been lasting a lot longer than than I remember?
Haven't been done ever? My '03 had four sets put in, all warranty, before I sold it at 175k. I'd be genuinely curious to know what people are doing to make them last, my truck was box stock and it wanted a set every 40k.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
My buddy who works on duramaxís for a living went until 200k on his before it needed injectors. He swapped fuel filter regularly and good fuel.

Take it somewhere and get it scanned. Personally I would think it needs them sooner rather than later. Also cp3 is going to be 90% through itís life. Youíll have to plug in and drive it. This is all my experience from my duramax. Iím no tech.

Car fax on mine says they were done at the dealer before I bought it. So mine have 80k on them but I run better filtration than stock.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 312354
They can go that far, a friend had an LB7 that went 350k on factory injectors. Only reason it got parked was the transmission and transfer case were having major issues (his fault, hit a deer and ran it out of fluid).

I'd try to get them to knock $4000 of the price for the injectors and labor though just to be safe. That's about what I remember it costing with Bosch reman injectors.
ironmangq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
They can go that far, a friend had an LB7 that went 350k on factory injectors. Only reason it got parked was the transmission and transfer case were having major issues (his fault, hit a deer and ran it out of fluid).

I'd try to get them to knock $4000 of the price for the injectors and labor though just to be safe. That's about what I remember it costing with Bosch reman injectors.
That price is correct. Another friend who just sold his duramax had the buyer scan his and injectors were fucked. So he knocked 2k off the price.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 199790
Thanks guys, all good stuff I hadn't thought about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
That price is correct. Another friend who just sold his duramax had the buyer scan his and injectors were fucked. So he knocked 2k off the price.
When I did them on mine, I remember them costing a little over 2k, and whatever my time is worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post

It's at 9k, so I'd think getting 4k off might be hard to do, but 2k seems semi-reasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
My buddy who works on duramaxís for a living went until 200k on his before it needed injectors. He swapped fuel filter regularly and good fuel.

Take it somewhere and get it scanned. Personally I would think it needs them sooner rather than later. Also cp3 is going to be 90% through itís life. Youíll have to plug in and drive it. This is all my experience from my duramax. Iím no tech.

Car fax on mine says they were done at the dealer before I bought it. So mine have 80k on them but I run better filtration than stock.
I can check balance rates on the Torque OBD app, good call. I forgot about that. I wonder if I can check commanded vs. actual CP3 rail pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Haven't been done ever? My '03 had four sets put in, all warranty, before I sold it at 175k. I'd be genuinely curious to know what people are doing to make them last, my truck was box stock and it wanted a set every 40k.
Exactly, makes me wonder. I'm going to get a Carfax to make sure. I had just the two sets in my 03, it started to haze at idle after I did the injector cleaner to try and correct the balance rates.
Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 214840
S&S diesel just released their SAC style injectors in a 0% over, factory flow size.

When you do do injectors on it, I highly recommend going with those. People are having much better luck over VCO style nozzle.
fl0w3n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in