Spring center & trailer construction question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
D60

Member # 6398
Spring center & trailer construction question

I'm moving axles back on an old "Performance by Parker" utility trailer.

I've discovered they built it with what comes out to be 80.75" spring centers but were definitely using 80" axles (I measured). Subsequently I copied their fucked up design 'cause I kept the hangers exactly where they had 'em side to side and just moved back, ASSuming they'd done it right in the first place.

This reminded me that a couple years ago I replaced all 4 leafs 'cause one had broken and I definitely had to lever the springs to get the center pins to drop in.

Anyway, the question is: is this common in the trailer world or was the manufacturer extra lazy here? Asking the springs to flex in 3/8" per side is asking a lot when you consider how short they are (both in length and height/arch) and there's no spring eye bushings to speak of.

I'm replacing with new axles and found they were built to 79.75". Now I can forgive a 1/4" but when compounded with hanger center spacing of 80.75" I'd be asking the springs to give 1/2" inward twist per side. Not comfortable with that so I moved the spring perches on the axles to 80.75" (which now looks like it might interfere with where the factory brake wires exit the axle tube....GGRRRRR)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Me???
Fix it!

Remember corporate chimerica's motto??

How fast can I make it cheap?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18283
Poor build quality abounds in the utility trailer market especially in the 7k & under GVW trailers. The competition at this point is rather fierce, my guess would be that someone made a jig to place the spring hangers that captured the hangers in the jig with a nut and bolt making assembly much easier and faster for repetition. The problem is that the new guy was never trained on how to use the jig so he left the nut on the wrong side of the hanger making the inner width just a nut width wider. I'd guess that the bolts are 3/8" wide/tall for the spring bolts you're using.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Trailer manufactures use yard sticks not fractions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in