04 k2500 tire recommendations - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 860710
04 k2500 tire recommendations

Hey, another tire opinion post, I know.

I acquired a beautiful, rust-free extended cab Cheyenne from Oklahoma City fire department. The tires are Goodyear Pro-Grade Wranglers, 245/75-16. I noticed on the last 12 hour trip that one of the tires is starting to get square, although it's not something I can see without spinning it. I don't know how old they are but the truck sat for some years before I got it, so not new. The truck is completely stock, with weak-suck 5.7 and 4l60.
I use the thing more as a station wagon, driving between Florida and Ohio and towing only a motorcycle trailer occasionally, probably max 1500 pounds. So what I'm asking for is recommendation for something quiet, smooth, maybe taller than stock (4.10s) and not completely dangerous in snow, since I'll be in Ohio in winter. It's not an offroader save for parking lots.
Budget is less a concern than comfort.

Let 'er rip.
pressureangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
I’m assuming you mean 94 not 04, because it has a 5.7l and it’s a 6 lug 2500 since you said it has a 4L60?

If so, It shouldn’t overly matter, but with it being lighter, you can run a lighter LT tire.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list

Last edited by Rttoys; 06-22-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 860710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
I’m assuming you mean 94 not 04, because it has a 5.7l and it’s a 6 lug 2500 since you said it has a 4L60?

It shouldn’t overly matter, but with it being lighter, you can run a lighter LT tire.
Shit duh yeah, '94 ffs. 8 lug tho, and I didn't ID the trans myself. I stop knowing what I'm looking at when they stop being THM.

Last edited by pressureangle; 06-22-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressureangle View Post
Shit duh yeah, '94 ffs. 8 lug tho, and I didn't ID the trans myself. I stop knowing what I'm looking at when they stop being THM.
Hell, I canít remember when the switch happened, but with that setup, it might be a TH400 with lock up torque converter, if not itís a 4L80 (no E).

Back to the tires. I canít help you much on the all around with being able to handle snow and stuff, but itís most common to step up on size is to a 265/75-16 on those trucks. They can handle 285/75-16 if you really want to, but youíll have to crank the t bars and such.

Hell, now that Iím jiggling my memory, The speedo was always 2 mph off. Going to the 265, made the speedo correct.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 166653
Kenda H/T2 KR600 245/75R16

I have the same truck but a 90 model. I run Kenda Klever H/T2 KR600 LTE245/75R16. Found a used set of four for less money than a single new tire. I had never heard of them but figured it was worth the money.
Now I love them. Way better ride and handling than the Goodyear, Hankook or Michelins that I have had on this truck. I can't speak of the durability as they were used and I have put less than 10k miles on them. But I use this truck like a truck. It hauls wood, rock, pulls car trailers with trucks, skid steers, and logs. The tires take everything that I have asked them to without complaints. I have got stuck in a muddy field in the snow with them, but they are not an off-road tire. If pavement is what your truck spends its time on, these tires are up to task.

Last edited by 4seasons; 06-23-2019 at 08:52 AM.
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Hell, I canít remember when the switch happened, but with that setup, it might be a TH400 with lock up torque converter, if not itís a 4L80 (no E).
My truck is a 90 and came with a 700R4. In 92 the 4L60E showed up in the light duty truck. The heavy duty truck got the 4L80E. Earlier than 91 heavy duty trucks got the TH400. I am unaware of a non E 4L80.
I am certain that there was never a lockup converter TH400. I would love to have one but the only way I have found to do it is a modified drag racing Powerglide lockup that costs more than my truck. I am running a TH400 now because the 700R4 wouldn't hold up for my use in stock form.
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 837210
2nd on the Klevers, have em on a farm truck and theyíre good. Have a set of Mud Kings, too, theyíre wearing good but a little sketchy on the ice. Iíd still stay with a 10 ply and air em down accordingly, you might get a tiny bit better grip with a D or even lighter, but theyíll be more squirmy with a load or a trailer. You can always air down a heavy tire, but you can only air up a light one so far....and price wise they arenít that much cheaper. Simpletire is a good place to look to get ideas.
Frontline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 860710
Thanks for the recs.

Deffo overdrive trans with lockup. Speedo was -4mph, I reset the VSSB and the next step up made it +2mph... so 265/75 will work.

There was never a lockup TH400, but there was a 'switch-pitch' TH400 which had variable vanes in the converter and came in the heavy BOP cars to get them moving. One of those behind a SD455 was absolutely brutal.
I tried to get somebody to make a lockup converter for them back in the early 2000's but nobody was interested at any price.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 135683
I have always been a fan of 235\85r16 or 255\85r16's on a stock wheel. The problem is they are getting harder to find, its to the place I might be tempted to go with a common "new truck" tire like the base level superduty or ram HD runs so you can find replacements easy.

I have been having good luck with cooper and mastercraft tires, they have a few decent ones for a street driven rig. Heck last time I was in Wal-mart they had a sign up for cooper at3's they were running some deal.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in