School Bus - Should I buy it? Should I? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
School Bus - Should I buy it? Should I?

I've got a truck for sale for $3,800 and had a guy ask me if I'd be willing to trade for his bus project. Looks like he got it from this yard, since he was saying he brought it back from San Diego: https://ventura.craigslist.org/ctd/d...942849482.html
Sounds like he's a little down and out, just had his truck stolen and doesn't have a great place to store the bus any more - just looking for a commuter while he finishes school.

Anyway, it's a 2000 F450 with a 7.3 turbo diesel - couple videos I saw sound like it's running pretty healthy. Not running this second because of missing heater lines from tearing out extra heating, but that should be pretty easy to fix and fire up before signing anything. Has 187k miles.

I was told that since it's it's over 14k gvwr it's smog exempt. He has it registered as a flatbed pickup truck at the moment, but on non-op. Eventually converting to an RV registration down the line, anyone know if it'd be able to retain smog exemption? Would it be based on weight?

Kind of on the fence with this one, but it'd be a sweet project I wasn't looking for. It'd also be sweet to just get cash for the truck I've got for sale, but no one seems to be biting lately.

What say the PBB? Look like a good platform, or anything to check over with this thing? I'm not familiar with the 7.3 or anything else on this rig. Going to go check it out in person tomorrow or over the weekend, get vin and look for any back fees, etc.

Last photo is it's current status. He's been working on 'converting to a tiny home' or something along those lines...
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special Thanks to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Video of it running when they first picked it up:

Special Thanks to:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Are you trying to help the guy out, or do you actually want a school bus project?

I'm inclined to say don't buy it, but I suppose it matters what truck you're selling.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
Are you trying to help the guy out, or do you actually want a school bus project?

I'm inclined to say don't buy it, but I suppose it matters what truck you're selling.
I'm not trying to help the guy out. In the back of my mind, I'm always looking for projects like this, but it'd probably end up sitting for a little while. Truck I'm selling is a '93 2wd Toyota pickup.

I'm honestly on the fence, and will probably take cash for my truck if someone offers it first...

Special Thanks to:
Old 08-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Working on powerstrokes in a van chassis sucks from what I've read. Might be cool to have a schoolie, but specifically one with a MDT chassis. I'd pass.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I think if it's mechanically solid, you're getting the better end of the deal, there is a segment of people that want to travel or live in a 7.3 van, sometimes they have money, but you'll need to hold it until they can sell it

If you can store that, I'd add a cheap house battery, solar panel, charger, inverter, some usb ports, maybe a 12v vent fan and a small fresh water tank, and advertise it in Seattle for 10k

Then consider converting to 4wd and listing for 22k

As long as you don't make anything too specific, I'd bet every dollar and hour you spent would be profitable
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I think if it's mechanically solid, you're getting the better end of the deal, there is a segment of people that want to travel or live in a 7.3 van, sometimes they have money, but you'll need to hold it until they can sell it

If you can store that, I'd add a cheap house battery, solar panel, charger, inverter, some usb ports, maybe a 12v vent fan and a small fresh water tank, and advertise it in Seattle for 10k

As long as you don't make anything too specific, I'd bet every dollar and hour you spent would be profitable
truth
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
SAS sChOOL bus..
Old 08-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Neighbor bought a c/l short bus and parked it behind his fence, it is now a play house, he has 2 youngsters, most popular house on his street.
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
If itís not running, Iíd assume itís a basket case.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post
SAS sChOOL bus..
It might be in ford, or general, but there is a very similar bus, maybe 7.3 srw that got a junkyard axle swap and goes to all the mud events, looks like a blast, and an easy swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
If itís not running, Iíd assume itís a basket case.
Usually would agree with this, but I can see where the guy was building it out, tell him to hook it up before the trade and good enough for me
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
With a gvw of 14k it will be illegal to operate in ca after the first of the year. I'll bet the seller knows that and that's why he disclosed the registration change
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
I'd make that trade in a heartbeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post
SAS sChOOL bus..
This was my immediate response - hard not to picture it with an SAS and the biggest tires I can legally run on the roadway, with enough uptravel to make it dangerous. Close to stock ride height - I ain't afraid to cut sheetmetal... I don't know who's going to pay for all of that, but that's always my first thought

Or yeah, just finish out the floor, throw some paneling on the walls, add a few accessories and sell it to some tiny house or #vanlife fags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
If it’s not running, I’d assume it’s a basket case.
I really don't think he's had it that long, and it was running pretty solid before he started stripping out the interior. He said it had a rear A/C and heater that he pulled out, hence the missing heater hose. I'm under the impression that it runs just fine, but needs a few dollars worth of heater hose to retain it's coolant. I'll know a lot more if I go look at it in person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
With a gvw of 14k it will be illegal to operate in ca after the first of the year. I'll bet the seller knows that and that's why he disclosed the registration change
And why is that? If you're speaking about the lack of DEF, I believe that's for commercial vehicles and does not apply to RV/house car/personal rigs?

This probably is not going to happen - I wasn't really planning taking on another project, but I'm not 100% out yet. Once I decide to pass on it, I can PM the guy's info if anyone else wants it. I think he just needs a clean DD so he can finish up school...

Special Thanks to:
Old 08-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 13786
Quote:
back story?
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 174963
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/prog...bus-regulation

As heavy-duty on-road vehicles are such a significant source of pollutants, the Truck and Bus Regulation is one of the most far-reaching and important tools to reduce smog-forming and toxic emissions and protect public health in disadvantaged communities. It is a key element in CARB's Diesel Risk reduction plan and the State Implementation Plan, both of which are designed to provide clean air for Californians by helping to meet state and federal health-protective standards. Starting January 1, 2020, SB1 only allows vehicles compliant with this regulation to be registered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post

As heavy-duty on-road vehicles are such a significant source of pollutants, the Truck and Bus Regulation is one of the most far-reaching and important tools to reduce smog-forming and toxic emissions and protect public health in disadvantaged communities. It is a key element in CARB's Diesel Risk reduction plan and the State Implementation Plan, both of which are designed to provide clean air for Californians by helping to meet state and federal health-protective standards. Starting January 1, 2020, SB1 only allows vehicles compliant with this regulation to be registered by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Read that link and doesnít really go into specifics - but Ďtruck and busí to me reads as a commercial requirement. I doubt owning a Ď01 diesel motor home would fall under what theyíre talking about there...

Special Thanks to:
Old 08-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 129660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/trucks...egs/dmvreg.htm
Attached Images

WrenchMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

You could build it as a "tribute" vehicle!

Old 08-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
So does that apply to recreational vehicles? I'd think that anyone owning a diesel motorhome will not need to scrap or repower it... Anybody know anything on this - I'm not seeing where the line is between commercial and recreational in any of the links posted above. Or how that'd affect a commercial vehicle being re-registered as a recreational

Special Thanks to:
Old 08-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 152143
I could argue this 2 ways Chris.

CONS: You aren't looking for a project, and want the cash, so skip it. 7.3 in a van IS a pain to work on too. The E40D/4R100 is about to shit the bed though with 187k stop &go miles.

PROS: Yes, a 7.3 with 187k miles is awesome. The way around the CARB law is to convert it with the DMV to a "housecar" (what I did with the F800). As soon as its a motorhome, the smog disappears. This could be your accomodations/tow rig for desert trips. You have the fabrication skill set to finish what he started.

Ultimately, I think you should decide if you actually want this thing for a purpose in your life. 🍻
jones518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertPOS View Post
So does that apply to recreational vehicles? I'd think that anyone owning a diesel motorhome will not need to scrap or repower it... Anybody know anything on this - I'm not seeing where the line is between commercial and recreational in any of the links posted above. Or how that'd affect a commercial vehicle being re-registered as a recreational

No it does not. The key would be to change it to an "rv" before January.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
No it does not. The key would be to change it to an "rv" before January.
So registration can't be changed to recreational after January? Where are you seeing that?

I decided to pass on this thing. If anyone else is interested I can PM you his contact info. Link to pics/vid he sent me is here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FrQWhEQ1NKbFdB

Special Thanks to:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in