Trailer frame bent - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
The one shackles rotated around when it hit the frame, it looks like. Rotate the one around and it will probably get you fairly back to level, then fix the frame.
Attached Images

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 02:32 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
The one shackles rotated around when it hit the frame, it looks like. Rotate the one around and it will probably get you fairly back to level, then fix the frame.
Fawk I looked at that pic for a few minutes and couldn't figure that out! I knew something wasn't right though. Thats why I asked about the tire being on something.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 871646
Quote:

Good eye! So youíre saying to basically flip that shackle over? So that the bolt holes at the bottom are now at the top? Or would it be best to just buy a new shackle?
seanflippo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanflippo View Post
Good eye! So youíre saying to basically flip that shackle over? So that the bolt holes at the bottom are now at the top? Or would it be best to just buy a new shackle?
Shackle is fine. Ive done this before just jacking the trailer up in the wrong spot and the hanger inverts. Would make one tire not even touch the ground .

Just take the wheels off that side and monkey with it till it flips back to the correct way.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:10 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 871646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Shackle is fine. Ive done this before just jacking the trailer up in the wrong spot and the hanger inverts. Would make one tire not even touch the ground .

Just take the wheels off that side and monkey with it till it flips back to the correct way.

Gotcha, I see what youíre saying now. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 48545
Look at the first picture the driveway is pretty sloped and trailer is way nose high, equalizer is were it will be like that, shackle should settle back when front axles moves level again. Place trailer on level ground it should level out before you waste time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bo185; 08-14-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 AM   #32 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Fawk I looked at that pic for a few minutes and couldn't figure that out! I knew something wasn't right though. Thats why I asked about the tire being on something.

Quote:
They should be like this:
Attached Images

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 871646
Quote:

They should be like this:

Thanks, itís pretty obvious now that I know what Iím looking at. Iíll get that taken care of first before I work on the frame.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 17632
I personally wouldn't add rails. It makes it hard to tie anything down because you can't lay in under the side to hook chains/straps. If you straighten it and stiffen it up, it should be fine for a long time as long as you don't overwork it like the P.O. did. I owned my trailer for about 22 years before I bent it, and that was only because I was pushing it's capacity and had to do some severe evasive maneuvers at highway speed. Up until that point, I had hauled cars, trucks, tractors, small forklifts, firewood, and all manner of other shit that was within the capability of the trailer and never had a problem with bending it.
Travis..

Edit; seeing that shackle inverted, you can see where the frame was riding on the shackle/equalizer and it bent right behind it. Straighten/stiffen it, get the shackles sorted out, and it will be fine.

Last edited by crashnzuk; 08-14-2019 at 09:17 AM.
crashnzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Gotcha, I see what youíre saying now. Thanks!
just remember.

if you wouldn't put your dick in'er, don't put your fingers in'er.

lots of force there, so don't be fucking stupid. It's gonna scare you when she flips back round.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 871646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
just remember.

if you wouldn't put your dick in'er, don't put your fingers in'er.

lots of force there, so don't be fucking stupid. It's gonna scare you when she flips back round.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 871646
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
I personally wouldn't add rails. It makes it hard to tie anything down because you can't lay in under the side to hook chains/straps. If you straighten it and stiffen it up, it should be fine for a long time as long as you don't overwork it like the P.O. did. I owned my trailer for about 22 years before I bent it, and that was only because I was pushing it's capacity and had to do some severe evasive maneuvers at highway speed. Up until that point, I had hauled cars, trucks, tractors, small forklifts, firewood, and all manner of other shit that was within the capability of the trailer and never had a problem with bending it.
Travis..

Edit; seeing that shackle inverted, you can see where the frame was riding on the shackle/equalizer and it bent right behind it. Straighten/stiffen it, get the shackles sorted out, and it will be fine.

Thanks for the advice, I plan to just haul my Jeep on it 1 or 2 times a month. It definitely wonít be overworked like it was before. Hopefully Iíll have a semi decent trailer by the time this is all done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in