is a 3/4ton warranted... gas -vs- diesel - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by beakie View Post
I would like to hold out on an F250, until they put the 10spd behind the 6.2L in hopes it eeks a bit more mileage out of the gasser... otherwise thanks on the info re: gears. I was going to opt for 4.10s, not sure if higher are an option with the gasser.
F-350 SRW looks to be available with the 6.2 / 10 speed right off the bat, that would be my choice over a F-250 anyways. Easy enough to pull out the overloads and change to a F-250 rear block between the springs and axle if you feel it is needed. GVWR downgrade package is also available if the F-350's higher GVWR causes registration issues in Ontario.

I always find the best time of year to buy is April / May for the previous MY leftovers, if you are really picky it may be harder to find something with your must haves. My location means that there are usually a lot of trucks on dealer lots, especially if you don't mind white. Otherwise Ford has employee pricing deals every summer it seems, pretty hard for a non fleet buyer to do much better than dealer invoice less incentives during employee pricing.

3.73 & 4.30 look to be the only stock options with the 6.2 in SRW wide frame trucks.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...rder-Guide.pdf
Old 10-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 141351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunker View Post
Spent a weekend camping with the family outside of Peterborough waiting for a trans line to come in this summer - it sucked. Easy enough to change at least.

Those stresses on the camping trip has the wife signed off to buy a new truck, but I just can't justify the cost ($5K a year for the 15 years I'd hope to get out of it) vs what I can do with $5K a year on my 04 2500.
I'm 20mins south of Ptboro.
we were stranded outside Kincardine end of August, when our lines let go.

if it wasn't for a good friend around the corner here at home, who happened to be visiting family near Kincardine it would have been a massive tow, rental, etc bill

gas 3/4 ton seems to be unanimous pick.

I don't like buying first year anything either... so I either go with 6.2L & 6spd... or wait 2+yrs for the 7.3L & 10spd to prove themselves & get some use and feedback.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 141351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
F-350 SRW looks to be available with the 6.2 / 10 speed right off the bat, that would be my choice over a F-250 anyways. Easy enough to pull out the overloads and change to a F-250 rear block between the springs and axle if you feel it is needed. GVWR downgrade package is also available if the F-350's higher GVWR causes registration issues in Ontario.

I always find the best time of year to buy is April / May for the previous MY leftovers, if you are really picky it may be harder to find something with your must haves. My location means that there are usually a lot of trucks on dealer lots, especially if you don't mind white. Otherwise Ford has employee pricing deals every summer it seems, pretty hard for a non fleet buyer to do much better than dealer invoice less incentives during employee pricing.

3.73 & 4.30 look to be the only stock options with the 6.2 in SRW wide frame trucks.

I must admit I never considered a 1ton

it would be well beyond what I would ever need... but may be worth looking at price & options wise.

I am a bare bones options kinda guy. this is my list for now, with things being added as I think of them;

screw cab
6' - 8' bed
back up camera
max tow
tow mirrors
vinyl floor
less chrome
LT tires
bed liner

some may be standard on bigger trucks, but were not on my 1/2 ton

Last edited by beakie; 10-31-2019 at 02:36 PM.
beakie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 101265
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I always laugh at the "my buddy works at the Ford dealership and he drives a dodge" type comments.

The only thing that the F150 and F250 up 10 speed is that they are both 10 speeds.

To be fair, I'm not a big fan of buying something when it first comes out, I like to wait and let the issues iron themselves out.
He was their diesel tech, actually drove a 6.4 Ford which surprised the hell out of me. I'm like you in wanting to wait, which is why I'm hesitant on the 10sp/7.3 combo right now. Could be awesome, could be crap.
Kunker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunker View Post
I'm like you in wanting to wait, which is why I'm hesitant on the 10sp/7.3 combo right now. Could be awesome, could be crap.
the 7.3L gasser will turn out to be a good engine. Ford has terrible luck with chains and cam phasers, but that look to be an easy fix on this engine.

The 10spd is an engineers wet dream, the 6spd wouldve been fine. hence why the GM 4500+ and the Ford 650+ still employ a 6spd.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
that's not happening, nor will a ram be considered.

Toyota or Ford are only considerations.
No Tundra ?
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49997
I would be real interested in the 7.3 gas in a one ton. Dont need a diesel and seeing all the issues we have at work with the 6.7 powerstrokes it makes me not want one.
rugby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 141351
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmup View Post
No Tundra ?
if we go for another 1/2 ton, the Tundra will be up there with the F150 (even the Titan would be considered, in laws are very happy with theirs).
we get a good deal/price through work on a few brands. Toyota I believe is 4% over cost, Ford is X Plan... which isn't always the best deal to be had, but a good starting point.

However the more I look at what we do now, and what I expect from the future, the more I look at the 3/4 ton line as what may be safest & most reliable for us. Being a Ford guy, that limits choices, so it's down to engines, trans, and options, for us to decide on... and I have a year or two to research and wait for bugs to be fixed.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 176071
After towing a travel trailer weighing roughly 8,000-8,500 lbs loaded with a 08 then 12 Tundra before switching to a 11 Ram 2500 Diesel I can tell you it is absolutely night and day difference. The Tundra always felt like it was working hard while the Ram rarely downshifts going up hills.
Fuel economy while towing is as expected about 25% better with the diesel.

As far as recouping diesel costs when selling, I just picked up a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel last month and after shopping for a couple of months the price difference between very similar trucks but gas vs diesel the asking prices were roughly 10-15k cheaper for a gas truck.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 26910
I had a '05 F150 crew short bed with the 5.4 and towed good with about 8k behind it, but I also had a programmer in it. Sold it, and found out the trans and rear end went out a few months later. 😞

Replaced it with a '01 F250 crew short bed with 2v v10. Had a lift and 35's. Only thing I did to it was the y-pipe and gears. Went to 4.88's and threw a heavy 8.5" ft Lance on the back. You could pass cars on mtn passes all day long. Towed my 8k trailer with the camper to Moab, with no problems. Great set up, and as long as you kept your foot out of it, you could get about 10mpg. If you drove it aggressive, which you could with the gears you would get 7 loaded. Empty was around 12. Was a awesome set up. I way cheaper then a newer truck.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
s far as recouping diesel costs when selling, I just picked up a 2015 Ram 2500 diesel last month and after shopping for a couple of months the price difference between very similar trucks but gas vs diesel the asking prices were roughly 10-15k cheaper for a gas truck.
I can buy a shit load of fuel with $10k when the price difference around here is like $0.70/gal.

No regrets buying a gas 3/4 ton.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 217829
Quote:
if we go for another 1/2 ton, the Tundra will be up there with the F150 (even the Titan would be considered, in laws are very happy with theirs).
we get a good deal/price through work on a few brands. Toyota I believe is 4% over cost, Ford is X Plan... which isn't always the best deal to be had, but a good starting point.

However the more I look at what we do now, and what I expect from the future, the more I look at the 3/4 ton line as what may be safest & most reliable for us. Being a Ford guy, that limits choices, so it's down to engines, trans, and options, for us to decide on... and I have a year or two to research and wait for bugs to be fixed.
I'm happy with the towing performance of my Titan XD gas. My trailer is about 7k, but ive towed 14k with no problems. Well equipped SV 4x4 picked up for 35k, 49k sticker.
smracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 09:34 AM   #38 (permalink)
TBD

Member # 194369
If it's only Ford, F350 with the 6.2 if you want it now, F350 with the 7.3 Big Block if you can wait until January or February for them to show up at the dealers.

"I wish I hadn't bought so much truck"... Said no man ever.

'09 Nissan Frontier
Titan Swapped, 4.10's, ARB's F/R, 35's, bunch of other shit
westracing01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
D60

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you're shopping on sticker prices, my gasser F350 SRW set up how I wanted for towing, was actually cheaper than what I'd have optioned to land there in an F150. I assume there's more wiggle/haggle/spiff room on a 150 though, the "five digits off of sticker" discounts I hear people talk about, don't seem to exist in 250/350 land.

After towing the same 8k-ish trailer at work with my 2500 Dodge and the salesman's F150 company truck (work got a little peeved when they saw our nice shiny trailer behind my beater truck) I was pretty well sold on not towing what I want to tow (7-8k pounds of crawler/trailer) behind an F150. Just too much wagging of the truck there, on flat ground, and when I'm towing, it's into the mountains.
Similarly - around here at least - bang for the buck on a used F250/350 is WAY better than a 1/2 ton. In the used market no one wants used 3/4ton gassers, but an F150 will cost a mint.

In most cases it's actually cheaper to get a nicer, lower mileage 3/4 ton than a similar used 1/2 ton. It's simply supply and demand

While we're at it, every F250 in existence annoys the shit outta me 'cause they don't put enough rear spring in them.

But I had an '08 F350 (gas) and now my '11 F350 (gas) and they're the first trucks ever that I didn't need to add leaves to the rear.

If you doubt me start watching every 4x4 SuperDuty you see - first look at the rake, then the badge. You can spot an F250 from a mile away 'cause they're barely level or ass low. Start actually using it as a truck and it's decidedly dragging ass

OTOH I can barely get my '11 F350 to squat, and when I do the upper overloads engage plenty early. Love it.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60 View Post
While we're at it, every F250 in existence annoys the shit outta me 'cause they don't put enough rear spring in them.
My 350 might annoy you too then... it's a snowplow-prep truck. Roughly 2" higher than standard 350 in the front from what I can tell, so it's a lot closer to level than most 350's. But it doesn't squat near like a 250 will under load. The rear suspension setup was one of the main reasons I bought a 350 and not a 250, I really wasn't looking for a 350 until I saw what little difference (price and parts) there really was. Well worth the small upcharge IMO.

On the other hand, I pretty much know that owning a gasser 350, I'm driving it into the ground, because resale will be crap. But my last bought-new truck went 175k before I sold it, and I'm not planning on selling this one any time soon.

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-06-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60 View Post
Similarly - around here at least - bang for the buck on a used F250/350 is WAY better than a 1/2 ton. In the used market no one wants used 3/4ton gassers, but an F150 will cost a mint.

In most cases it's actually cheaper to get a nicer, lower mileage 3/4 ton than a similar used 1/2 ton. It's simply supply and demand
That is why we have a '02 F350 with a V10 in the driveway.
We could probbaly get along just fine with a F150, but the F350 was the same price and why not...

Aaron Z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in