Flatdeck tips, tricks, etc - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
I don't have flat deck, but I want to drop a crane that won't interfere with a 5th wheel or a goose neck in the back.

I was thinking something like this because it would be below the bed. I could go with a taller one, but I would have to modify it so I didn't have to un bolt it every time we wanted to haul the 5'er.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup...ity-60732.html
Yup, I've been thinking about one of those for my other pickup, maybe I'll start watching for a coupon
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I have a 3200lb auto crane on a truck, it is sweet to have, but it's 750lbs I the right rear corner. I don't use it enough to justify a dedicated truck, with insurance.

I want a lesser crane, something removable, to swing engines in and out of a truck bed, weigh under 150lbs , and not prevent me from running a gn or 5th wheel.

I've got a couple more builds, then the crane is going away fur a bit.

I could see setting up a gin pole on a truck fur the occasional higher or heavier lift

Or, finding the right "classic" truck for the crane and paying $7mo collector insurance
Good datapoint for sure. I have been looking at hitch cranes like billybob posted above, or commercial ones like this, that would seem to fit the bill.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Here's a flat-deck tip. Gotta have watertight storage. I went the easy route and bought a Buyers box that's mounted off brackets on the frame. Should have done it years ago. Locks for security, watertight to prevent stuff from freezing solid in the cold or dealing with wet tools if it's raining.

All of this junk was in the cab before. Should have put this on when I got the bed a few years ago.

EDIT: Sorry, realizing now I'm late to the storage party.
Attached Images

Last edited by GLTHFJ60; 01-09-2020 at 09:13 AM.
GLTHFJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLTHFJ60 View Post
Here's a flat-deck tip. Gotta have watertight storage. I went the easy route and bought a Buyers box that's mounted off brackets on the frame. Should have done it years ago. Locks for security, watertight to prevent stuff from freezing solid in the cold or dealing with wet tools if it's raining.

All of this junk was in the cab before. Should have put this on when I got the bed a few years ago.

EDIT: Sorry, realizing now I'm late to the storage party.
Dry storage is a must. How water tight are those boxes? On par with a normal truck door seal? If I dip em briefly in water is it likely to get in? Or are they more just to keep rain and road spray out?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Those boxes really need to be vented. We have a couple on a truck that sweat inside and everything gets kinda nasty.
Travis..
Old 01-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 41789
Build the headache rack tall enough so you can put lumber, tube etc. over the cab. With a matching height "T" post in the receiver hitch I can carry quite a few thing over the cab of the truck that just couldn't be done without a trailer. If a canoe is ever a thought be mindful of the arch at the bow it can cause it to hit on the cab if the rack is not tall enough. Footman loops make handy tie down points for cam straps.
alk1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #32 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140040
Quote:
Originally Posted by squamch View Post
Dry storage is a must. How water tight are those boxes? On par with a normal truck door seal? If I dip em briefly in water is it likely to get in? Or are they more just to keep rain and road spray out?
You have to drill holes in the bottom of the box to bolt it to the brackets, so I doubt they're submersible watertight. They seem to keep rain out well enough at any speed/intensity.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk1174 View Post
Build the headache rack tall enough so you can put lumber, tube etc. over the cab. With a matching height "T" post in the receiver hitch I can carry quite a few thing over the cab of the truck that just couldn't be done without a trailer. If a canoe is ever a thought be mindful of the arch at the bow it can cause it to hit on the cab if the rack is not tall enough. Footman loops make handy tie down points for cam straps.
Unless your truck is stupid tall you can just make the headache rack same height as the cab and use a slightly shorter T-post to keep the load off the cab. Whatever is on the rack will stick up a bit but that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 01-09-2020 at 12:49 PM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
An example of some boxes I made for my old man's powerstroke.
Attachment 2958126
Chaindrivewhatnow?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 86724
the ones I have seen commercially to slot into a 2" receiver sat off to the side and had outriggers to support them.

https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-A...w/MT70238.html

I'd probably copy that if I was going to do a hitch insert one.

or maybe just a scissor jack or something across a flat box tube.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckin_Slusher View Post
Chaindrivewhatnow?
I'd bet that's for hay/feeding cattle.

drive by them and drop bails on the go.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Chaindrivewhatnow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
I'd bet that's for hay/feeding cattle.

drive by them and drop bails on the go.
Yeah I need to finish it, but it is for flaking off big bales of hay off the back of the flatbed. Headache rack is mounted on slides that will allow it to run to the back of the bed. All powered by a 10,000 lb winch mounted under the rear of the flatbed.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Yeah I need to finish it, but it is for flaking off big bales of hay off the back of the flatbed. Headache rack is mounted on slides that will allow it to run to the back of the bed. All powered by a 10,000 lb winch mounted under the rear of the flatbed.
Cool. I've thought about ghettofabbing a snow dumper trailer like that (winch drive), but haven't really put much thought into the mechanism.

I've seen ejector dumps for rock which were hydraulic actuated.

Has what your building been done before? Google search terms?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2020, 12:18 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Cool. I've thought about ghettofabbing a snow dumper trailer like that (winch drive), but haven't really put much thought into the mechanism.

I've seen ejector dumps for rock which were hydraulic actuated.

Has what your building been done before? Google search terms?
I'm sure someone has done something similar before, but I just built this by the seat of my pants and by what I figured would work for this application... And then overbuilt it by a ton I'm sure.

It's basically done, except for wiring and painting it. I just got sidetracked by remodeling my parents house, remodeling another house in town, having a kid, service truck shenanigans, and other farm and cattle related bullshit, so I haven't gotten back on it. After I finish up my service truck I plan on getting the flatbed done and out of the damn shop...
Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
Those boxes really need to be vented. We have a couple on a truck that sweat inside and everything gets kinda nasty.
Travis..
I wonder why the steel ones would sweat, but my aluminum dry box in the box of the truck never does.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Since they don't breathe, if anything is remotely wet inside, it cooks out and condenses on the sides/top inside. I had the same problem with my alum side boxes on my personal truck I used to have. If you work in the rain one day and then it's sunny the next, everything will be damp and anything metal starts to get crusty. We have a couple of trucks with vented boxes and they are way better.
Travis..
Old 01-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Quote:
I wonder why the steel ones would sweat, but my aluminum dry box in the box of the truck never does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
Since they don't breathe, if anything is remotely wet inside, it cooks out and condenses on the sides/top inside. I had the same problem with my alum side boxes on my personal truck I used to have. If you work in the rain one day and then it's sunny the next, everything will be damp and anything metal starts to get crusty. We have a couple of trucks with vented boxes and they are way better.
Travis..
I plan on the boxes I build getting water in them and drill drain holes (1/2" or so) in each corner accordingly to prevent them from becoming a swampy mess... My door only overlaps the box by maybe 1/2" all the way around, but in reality it does a damn good job of keeping moisture out. Unless you get a shit ton of rain, or plan on aiming a pressure washer directly at the door seam I think an overlapping door like that would be sufficient for most people.

An aluminum dry box in a pickup bed should have an overlapping top lid which should be easier to keep dry than a side door like an undermount box. I'd still drill some drain holes in the bottom to keep water from accumulating in the case of a leak.

If your drain holes are too small they will easily get clogged up with dirt and trash. If they are too large you risk losing shit out of your box or getting a large ingress of mud, dirt and other bullshit up from the bottom. Of course you don't want your holes in your box to line up with mud and water spray off the tires or anything stupid like that or you'll be screwed in that way too.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 67823
We get 2" of rain in a day regularly here. I think that counts as a shit load?
Old 01-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Quote:
We get 2" of rain in a day regularly here. I think that counts as a shit load?
Yeah we have an annual rainfall of 13 inches here... So I can't even fathom that wet humid bullshit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in