5x10 build in near future, need input - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 881726
5x10 build in near future, need input

New to pirate4x4 but have "been around" since the early days of rec.crafts.metalworking. A buddy milled some beautiful Doug fir boards and is going to pick me nice ones. So the bed wood is pretty much settled on. I plan to start building in May, when the Seattle winter rains die back a bit. I am an experienced fabricator and have been welding most of my life but have never built a trailer from scratch. I'm posting my current thinking in hopes you experienced builders can tell me if I am about to do something stupid.

I realize I will spend a lot more building than buying, but this will be my last trailer and I want to feel good about it.

My main interest is in machine tools. Those can get heavy so I'd like the capacity to carry 2 tons. I have a small shop-made gantry crane in my shop driveway which will be useful during the build. I used to own a 5x10 utility trailer and it fit nicely under the gantry but a wider trailer would not. Hence the 5' width. In Washington State overlength vehicles pay a huge premium to ride on the state ferry system. So I want to keep it down to 10' in length.

My overall general design is a 5x10 flatbed trailer with a 12" tall angle iron frame around the 2 sides and front for stiffness.

Frame construction: 1/8x2x4" rectangular tube for the frame and 3/16x2x2" angle for crossmembers. I plan to punch holes in the crossmembers, then clamp the bed wood in place and drill the wood up through the punched holes, then to thru-bolt the boards with outdoor galvanized bolts and nuts. The screws will be perfectly placed, and the bed wood will be removable for easy replacement down the road.

Tongue: I plan to use a 50 degree A-frame design which also incorporates a 4x4" central tube for extra strength. I plan to use a 2" ball Bulldog weld-on coupler, and I will mount a 5 ton hand-crank Beebe winch just in front of the bed. I also plan to use a Bulldog bolt-on top-crank jack. I also plan to buy the best trailer locks I can find.

Any comments so far?

metalmagpie

Last edited by metalmagpie; 03-01-2020 at 10:31 AM.
metalmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Sounds good but I may consider swapping the thickness on your frame tubes vs cross members. Also some sort of drop leg jack in the rear is super handy on single axle trailers for loading/ unloading while unhooked
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2020, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Moving machine tools with a deck that doesn't tilt is stupid and a pain in the ass. 5x10 is small enough that I'd just skip doing a proper tongue and use a big fucking tube (like 4x4 sqare, 6" pipe or something similar) that attaches to a hinge under the deck in the vicinity of the axle so you can have a tilt deck.

Personally I'd make it 6x10 or 6x12 so you can at least move cars with it in a pinch but if 5x10 is what you want then so be it. If you are stuck on 5ft width then you should probably do a flat deck and make it a deck-over so you can at least move a mower or something that's a hair over 5ft wide when the need arises.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 881726
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Moving machine tools with a deck that doesn't tilt is stupid and a pain in the a**
Not really. They get loaded on with a forklift and lifted off with a gantry crane. Or vise versa.

I'm leaning towards making the bed frame from 4x3x1/4" angle. Width is pretty critical.

metalmagpie
metalmagpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I'm with Arse

It would literally take an extra 4 hours and under $100 to make a single axle trailer into a tilt trailer with a hydraulic ram, which would wash once you needed to build ramps.

Not everybody that needs a safe, toolbox, whatever moved has a hoist or forklift.

Put a little HF winch on the front, or even a hand crank boat winch and be super useful

I have a tilt trailer with a 9k winch and wind up with all kinds of deals because I can get shit other people can't
PROJECTJUNKIE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 53528
x3 on make it tilt

what happens when you score a used machine for a smoking deal but theres no lift available at pick up

if you make it tilt that doesnt mean you have to always use the tilt feature, but if you ever need it its there waiting for you.
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I'd use tube and not angle, any time I see a trailer build with angle iron it just screams cheap.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 174963
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
I'd use tube and not angle, any time I see a trailer build with angle iron it just screams cheap.
Save us 3 pages of argument and change your post to say channel instead of tubing...
lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunacy View Post
Save us 3 pages of argument and change your post to say channel instead of tubing...
hes in ca and the one thing ca does thats smart is not put stupid ass salt on the roads, we use sand, so tube frames dont get rusted out
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in