7k trailer upgrade - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78077
7k trailer upgrade

i have recently bought a car trailer and got a great deal . It is an 18 foot dovetail rated at 7k. In about 10 months i will be moving hopefully to texas and I need it to haul my 1989 crew cab 1 ton 4wd. i have hauled the 1984 donor truck on it for about 100 miles. It was very heavy witha utility bed and alot of steel in the bed. If I wanted to upgrade my trailer, short of springs and axles, the only other thing i can come up with is reinforcing the backbone of the trailer. i was thinking about adding 2 more 3 inch channel beams running lengthwise inboard from the frame rails about 24 inches in and removing all the wood deck and goig to steel diamondplate. Anything else i need to do. I dont have a scale nearby but i m pretty sure my truck and the weight of the trailer is well over 7k. Thanks
#rawkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 38704
Check your coupler. It may not be rated for that weight if it is 2". Maybe upgrade to a 2 5/16" coupler.

Willy
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1926
I'm not sure if that is a good option.. I think you should buy a trailer that is rated to that weight.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14887
I think it depends on how the trailer is made there are 7K's made from angle and 7K's made from channel.

I would not try upgrading a 7K made from angle, but if it's made with channel yes. Lots of 10K trailers are made with the same 5" channel as the heaver 7K are.

My 7K is made with 5" channel with two pieces of 5" channel in front of the axles and I want swap on 6K axles at some point.
ScoutIITD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 78077
My trailer has a 2.5/16 coupler and is made from channell. Has angle braces from side to side, but i would do away with all thos with the additional chanell upgrades. I think I can do this realtively easily, my only real concern is the lehgth of the truck and its overall weight. I dont have scales handy, but I am sure it is well over 6k by itself. and the wheel base being a crew cab means all the weight is on the very ends of the trailer. See my delima? I am considering flat towing my truck and selling my trailer and buuilding another trailer after i move. I hate to sell this one. It is a really slick trailer with detachable fenders. Was used once by previous owner. i bought it for $1400 in new condition.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8421
It would suck flat towing that heavy truck with such a long wheelbase. It will really push your tow rig around. What are you going to tow with?
thecarman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 78077
biggest U-haul they make.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
which means no trailer brakes!

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78077
no, i just fabbed a set up for my friend that transferred to alaska. just a bare bones setup with lights, he is sending it back to me. wont pull thru these mountains without brakes
Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
Quote:
Originally Posted by #rawkon
biggest U-haul they make.
just a little note... U haul doesnt care much for you hauling your own trailer.
not that people dont do it all the time but their insurance frowns upon it and it says as much in the fine print. might want to check it all out before you go rent it.
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 16
Very few trailers are made to handle too much more then what they came with. Sure you could swap the springs, axles, rims and tires, but the frame would problably bend from the weight.
Going from 5k to 6k is usually ok, but bigger leaps are not anything I would recommend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 63061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutIITD
I think it depends on how the trailer is made there are 7K's made from angle and 7K's made from channel.

I would not try upgrading a 7K made from angle, but if it's made with channel yes. Lots of 10K trailers are made with the same 5" channel as the heaver 7K are.

My 7K is made with 5" channel with two pieces of 5" channel in front of the axles and I want swap on 6K axles at some point.
You still need to careful. There are different thickness of channel. You trailer was designed for 7k. Yes it was over built a little but thats a safety margin. Just as a 10k is over built as a safety margin. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 78077
U was thinking abou t removing the wood deck and running 2 more pieces of channell full length inboard of the origional outter frame rails. Using heavier channell to make those. I was thinking about replacing the angle crossmembers with channell and then upgrading the axles. I cant think of much else to do with it to make it stronger.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
unless your trailer has surge brakes - you do realize you are looking to tow 10,000lbs with no trailer brakes?

Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 78077
Do 5k axles have electric brakes? was planning on hooking up brakes like i did for my friends u haul move. He had 3500 lbs axles like mine. i just want to upgrade and make a quick connect brake controller for my trailer. Wont tow without brakes
Old 09-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 30615
Another thing to think of is the load bearing capability of the axle bearings. I definitely wouldn't want to burn one of those up going down the road.

Many BIG plans but me and my wallet disagree a little!
motrhedx81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 78077
i agree completely about the bearings, Thats whay i am considering upgrading to 5k axles, Then they will be rated for the weight of the truck. i wouldnt beef up the trailer and leave the axles the same. That would just be adding weight to the already overloaded 7k axles.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 64817
Running 2 more 3" channels the full length of the trailer would give you some additional strength, but probably not where you need it. I'm not a professional mechanical engineer, but I can tell you that 18 foot sticks of 5" channel has a load capacity (assuming fully supported at the tips and all weight placed exactly centered) of more weight than your entire trailer & truck put together. When you distribute it around by having 3 spring mount points & the tongue, it's not hard to believe that 2 sticks would be strong enough to hold all that and still give the standard 4:1 safety margin to handle bumpy roads & crappy driving. If you've got 2x8 planks for decking, they will give you better strength with less weight than a diamond plate deck and they don't get as slippery when wet. I would consider changing from a wood plank deck to metal diamond plate to be a DOWNgrade.

My advise: Get a couple of 5K axles (or 7K axles with softer 5K springs...) and some high quality trailer tires. If you absolutely must add those extra channels, run them UNDER the existing cross members directly under where the wheels of the truck on top will be and weld them to each cross member. Brakes & tires are going to be the big things to worry about though, not the frame strength.
AERONUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 78077
the trailer had alot of bow in it when I hauled the donor crew cab home. The tires are at the front and the rears are about to the dovetail start. So it is quite a distance between weight points. Thanks for the input though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in