How big of a winch do I need? (Trailer mounted) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 3321
Send a message via AIM to Ken Carter / BRUISER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ View Post
Are you talking about Ken/Bruiser's box on his trailer?

Scroll down about half way to see his mounting pics

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400236
Yup that is mine.. works great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tread Lightly Master Trainer

My Builds:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ken Carter / BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11484
For you, which would rely on this winch as a tool much like a chain or binder, I'd get the biggest winch you could afford. So, if you bought say even something as big as a 12,000 pound winch, you'd probably make 100's of 3000lb pulls and not even tax the winch, then a few years down the road pull on old john deere onto the deck without skipping a beat. Try and predict your biggest reasonable load and buy a bit bigger. I think winches used for revenue should be sized bigger than a winch used for hobbies; Sorta like a chainsaw.

I would mount extra batteries in the tongue for current draw (Plus you could boost your truck when you kill it/when a battery or two goes sideways) If you used it enough, you could mount a dedicated charge line for the batteries, straight from your trucks charging system.

Mount it in front of the deck in front of where the jacks sit, in between the uprights for the gooseneck, but mount it vertical, pointing upwards to to the top of the neck. That way, you can snatch it off the top of the trailer, which makes dragging loads UP the beavertail easier on the trailer and the winch cable. You could even put it on a receiver type setup which you could adapt for the front of your truck, should you get stuck, like say in a fucked up parking lot at gas station after a rainstorm.

All you'd need is 100' of cable, and if you needed you could use your load chain as an extension. That should net you at least 150', probably 200 on a bad day.

That's what I'd do!
Chad.
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 44380
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ighlight=winch

Thats mine, only a 4k winch but then again only a 4k capacity on the trailer and not really a scrap hauler. made the box ourselves too

in bits
JLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 45540
Send a message via Yahoo to 72hiboy4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Is that trailer a transformer? Two in one?
HA! I was waiting for someone to notice that!
I installed the new tongue, but haven't got around to moving the VIN number stickered on the hitch of the old tongue, to the new hitch yet. After that, I will cut the old hitch off.
72hiboy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 874524
Let's do the math on this. The simple math because when you consider this idea the way I'm going to present it you may have an "oh yeah huh" moment.
I get a real kick when people say you need a 9K to 12K winch to pull a 5K vehicle onto a trailer. First off, those winches are D rated meaning there's some fudge factor build in to the ratings. I would guess 20%.
So, can a 5000 lbs winch pull a 2002 Tahoe up a trailer? At a max weight of 5050 lbs that 5K winch can pull that Tahoe up the side of a building. People are worried about pulling a car up a 20 degree trailer ramp all of 5 feet long when it can pull a Tahoe 90 degrees straight up the side of a building. It's rated to pick their whole vehicle off the ground.
So, Unless you load your trailer by lifting the vehicle 3 feet off the ground then driving your trailer under it, I wouldn't be worrying about having a smaller winch.
radmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Fucking brilliant. To bad this thread is 12 uears old and the op is in fact dead.

total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17143
JFC
Old 10-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21766
First time using the internet radmon?
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 225201
We all know so much now..
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 181491
You sir are a fuck wad penis for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmon View Post
Blah...blah..blah.
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictylers1 View Post
We all know so much now..
I bet he is the type of guy who mounts a HF ATV winch to a push bar bolted to the bumper of his 2wd truck and thinks he is now capable of running the baja 1000.

SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 101209
does the math. ....

on a 12 year old thread

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
I bet he is the type of guy who mounts a HF ATV winch to a push bar bolted to the bumper of his 2wd truck and thinks he is now capable of running the baja 1000.

I bet that guy is a lot more fun to hang around than the guy who spends Saturday afternoon joining websites to be a douche on
PROJECTJUNKIE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 685554
I bet Cg is dieing laughing at this guy .
Newb007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Let's do the math on this. The simple math because when you consider this idea the way I'm going to present it you may have an "oh yeah huh" moment.
I get a real kick when people say you need a 9K to 12K winch to pull a 5K vehicle onto a trailer. First off, those winches are D rated meaning there's some fudge factor build in to the ratings. I would guess 20%.
So, can a 5000 lbs winch pull a 2002 Tahoe up a trailer? At a max weight of 5050 lbs that 5K winch can pull that Tahoe up the side of a building. People are worried about pulling a car up a 20 degree trailer ramp all of 5 feet long when it can pull a Tahoe 90 degrees straight up the side of a building. It's rated to pick their whole vehicle off the ground.
So, Unless you load your trailer by lifting the vehicle 3 feet off the ground then driving your trailer under it, I wouldn't be worrying about having a smaller winch.
Pretty sure the math was done some 12 years ago..
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 220494
Quote:
The sweet baby Jesus himself has literally answered the ops question at this point
broncokyle88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 66780
LOL

Anyways. I've used a 8k winch to pull a 2007 F350 C&C flatbed onto my trailer with a busted driver side knuckle, and a flat passenger side tire. We strapped a 6x6 block under the axle as a skid.
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #43 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 861326
Hilarious!

But yeah, my Warn 8k works great loading all things my trailer is capable of carrying.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #44 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 142852
Quote:
Let's do the math on this. At a max weight of 5050 lbs that 5K winch can pull that Tahoe up the side of a building.
Am I the only one questioning the math here? That’s not how winches are rated. A 5,000lb winch absolutely cannot pull a 5.5k truck up a building.

Oh yeah.. and just for good measure.. “tHiS tHrEaD iS oLd.”
Prozon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in