Lets see your Trailers with campers: Homemade - Page 23 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Tow Rigs and Trailers
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #551 (permalink)

Member # 109772
Made this out of a 5 horse trailer all aluminum tows great. 14' deck.

Last edited by painter66; 08-11-2019 at 10:30 AM.
painter66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #552 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklhuck View Post
I use a 26í GN. My Lance has a bigger footprint than 8í6Ē, itís over 11í long. My rig has a 116Ē WB. I can still easily get in and out of the camper, with it loaded.

Have no issues towing it with my bagged, SRW F350, 7.3, ZF6.

This is almost my exact truck. Are you all stock 7.3? Running a tuner/any mods? What gears/tires? Sorry for all the questions but this would be my perfect setup if I had a choice.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #553 (permalink)

Member # 70595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
This is almost my exact truck. Are you all stock 7.3? Running a tuner/any mods? What gears/tires? Sorry for all the questions but this would be my perfect setup if I had a choice.

We really like the setup. The truck is a 99.5 with 350,000 on it. No tuner, but Iíve got it set up to build a little more boost with a Ďboost foolerí mod and it breathes through a 6637 air filter. The motor is still the original 7.3 and it has the original injectors/turbo. Itís a non-catalyst truck and has a 4Ē MBRP exhaust. The truck sits on 35x12.5x18, Toyo MTís. Itís got Hwy gears (3.73) and cruises 74.7mph, at 2000 rpms. Since Iím not hauling heavy all the time, itís great. When loaded heavy and climbing steep mountain grades, the 3.73ís and the ZF6, keep it a slow go. But, itíll haul the hill fine, with no water temp or EGT related issues. 4.10ís or 4.30ís would give me another gear to grab and get me up the hill a little quicker. An auto is quicker, everywhere, til it goes out (autos donít lose boost with every shift like with a manual). But, Iím happy with the combo. Itís dependable and I pull the passes between Ouray, Silverton, and Durango, better than most, fully loaded.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #554 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
not mine, no info.

Buddy of mine spotted this in an RV park in CO last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #555 (permalink)

Member # 127722
I bought a slide-in with hopes of towing a car trailer behind it. Had the P.O. deliver it to the shop for me since I didnt have any tie-down mounts and a fixed ball in my bed.

Well I finally removed the ball and test fit the camper...

I've got a buddy with a 28' gooser that needs re-decked and lots of love, so I'll be going the the crawler hauler route here soon.

20190817_153338 by nvr-enough, on Flickr

20190817_153401 by nvr-enough, on Flickr
Old 08-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #556 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr-enough View Post
I bought a slide-in with hopes of towing a car trailer behind it. Had the P.O. deliver it to the shop for me since I didnt have any tie-down mounts and a fixed ball in my bed.

Well I finally removed the ball and test fit the camper...

I've got a buddy with a 28' gooser that needs re-decked and lots of love, so I'll be going the the crawler hauler route here soon.

20190817_153338 by nvr-enough, on Flickr

20190817_153401 by nvr-enough, on Flickr
Name is hilarious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.

Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; 08-30-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #557 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Well thinking about going to pick this one up on Saturday. Not the prettiest but it fits within my modest budget and will be a good starter (I'm 25 years old) for both the lady and I. 20' flat + 5' dovetail, one newer axle, 14k GVWR should pull my TJ just fine behind the old 7.3. Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #558 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Hereís my rig.

Well I had to upgrade mine. Wife got pregnant again and I realized the 8 foot camper wasnít gonna cut it for a family of 4 anymore. Sold that and moved on up to this.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #559 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklhuck View Post
I use a 26í GN. My Lance has a bigger footprint than 8í6Ē, itís over 11í long. My rig has a 116Ē WB. I can still easily get in and out of the camper, with it loaded.

Have no issues towing it with my bagged, SRW F350, 7.3, ZF6.

Well I pulled the trigger on one this weekend. Drove 7 hours round trip for it. It needs a bit of work but it was cheap and fit the budget I've got some big plans for it already and I am excited to get out and use it. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #560 (permalink)

Member # 138879
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Well I had to upgrade mine. Wife got pregnant again and I realized the 8 foot camper wasnít gonna cut it for a family of 4 anymore. Sold that and moved on up to this.

How do you like towing with the Class C? Looks like a lot of camper behind that dual axle; I can't seem to find many people with real world experience on this. Is that a v10? specs? Nice setup either way!
MDNyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #561 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDNyota View Post
How do you like towing with the Class C? Looks like a lot of camper behind that dual axle; I can't seem to find many people with real world experience on this. Is that a v10? specs? Nice setup either way!
Not to hijack, but they work, depending on load. Mine is a smaller camper with less trailer load and less rear overhang, but I still wish I had more wheelbase. These v10s only make 305 hp, but the 6 speed in the newer ones really helps. My wants would be ranked like so—more wheelbase, selectshift, then more engine.

https://imgur.com/a/9FfgXCI

Edit again--well, so much for embedding the pic. I R dumb. It's so easy on other forums...

Last edited by OHV Wildcat; 10-23-2019 at 03:12 PM.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #562 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDNyota View Post
Iíve been very happy with it so far. E450 Chassis with the V10. The coach is 32í tip to tail and the trailer is an Aluma 18í flat deck. Figure 4í for the trailer tongue and I am at an overall length of about 54í. The RV has a 7,500 lb tow rating. That aluminum trailer weighs a whole 1,300 lbs.

I find the V10 has plenty of pep to get the whole package up and moving fairly nicely. Hill climbs are slow but not painfully so. I have no trailer push or sway issues. Biggest issue is making sure any gas station I pull into has enough space for me to maneuver comfortably. Oh and it gets about 6.5 mpg as pictured fully loaded for a weekend in the desert.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #563 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
Not to hijack, but they work, depending on load. Mine is a smaller camper with less trailer load and less rear overhang, but I still wish I had more wheelbase. These v10s only make 305 hp, but the 6 speed in the newer ones really helps. My wants would be ranked like soómore wheelbase, selectshift, then more engine.

https://imgur.com/a/9FfgXCI

Edit again--well, so much for embedding the pic. I R dumb. It's so easy on other forums...

i would move the 4wheelers 5 inches forward

Last edited by rockyota83; 10-23-2019 at 07:54 PM.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #564 (permalink)

Member # 133589
At least you wouldn’t have to worry about turning around stuff, overhung hutch like that will whip trailers right around anything.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #565 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
i would move the 4wheelers 5 inches forward
Thanks for the imbed! I find the whole thing is very sensitive to tongue weight. A little tongue weight takes enough weight off the steers to affect handling. As pictured, I had 650 lbs of tongue weight measured by a little tongue weight scale. The rv is only rated for 500 lbs of it. So all my loading looks strange like this.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in